The Making Of Star Trek....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Umm, what you quoted there in the outermost quote box is from Drone, not me.

2. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

QUOTE=Drone;11373802]
    Well they did study it and used it covertly after the treaty banning it. At any rate that agreement was an important factor in negotiating a complex agreement between two longtime enemies to prevent a competitive advantage presumably. That certainly wasn't the case with the Kelvans' technology that no one else knew about and so wasn't consequent on any existing conflicts that the Federation was engaged in at the time. Why simply turn their backs and not utilize a gift like this if it turned out that there were no technological impediments in doing so. It doesn't really make sense if I'm understanding the rationale you are suggesting correctly.[/QUOTE]

I apologize that I didn't make clear that I perceived your reasoning as a generic rationale that could be applied to any such issue happening at any time in the Trekverse, not as a direct contradiction to the Kelvan incident in the TOS era. In my rejoinder, I was thinking specifically of events in the aftermath of the Treaty of Algeron, which I'm aware was not promulgated until early in the following century.

So, again if your meaning in using the example that you did was to illustrate a general rule that would reflexively be followed by Starfleet, my question still remains as to why the differences inherent with the Kelvans' technology would not be seen as an outlier that didn't have to hew to that practice. If there was no question of an implied moral dubiousness about using the system and it was not stolen from another culture, where would the problem be in taking advantage of it, given sufficient time for all of the ramifications of doing so coming to be understood by the Starfleet boffins?

3. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

I thought that came from the Star Fleet Technical Manual?

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it's called MAIN SENSOR in that.

5. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Franz Joseph's blueprints (1973) called it the "main sensor and navigational deflector." He got every detail from TMOST, which called it the "main sensor-deflector" on page 191.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:techman: