The Lion King (2019)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Romulan_spy, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Said technique is standard practice for mocap movies, and has definitely been used in productions such as The Adventures of Tintin and Avatar, among others.

2. captainkirk

captainkirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I first heard of it being done on Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. The version they're using here is more advanced, but it's nothing new.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

According to Jon Favreau, despite what the trailers seem to indicate, the film is not a shot-for-shot remake.

4. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

It has taken a long time to get fur down for CGI.
    Getting past uncanny valley for true CGI humans--that's the last hurdle.

And the toughest.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Critics using this film's obviously intentional similarities to the original 1994 cell-animation movie as a negative are just one more reason why the job of Critic is useless.:brickwall:

* Sigh *

6. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

If the film is a lot like the original except for being made with CG, why can't that be criticized?

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Because the entire point of a remake is for there to be similarities to the original.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gorgeous movie that is ultimately pointless. Beyonce is terrible in this. She's phoning it in and her over singing Can You Feel the Love Tonight and the snippet of her new song while they're crossing the desert are just unnecessary.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Oh, I think the point of a remake is to bring something new to the table.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

If it’s the exact same film as the original but with realistic animation, why should I see it instead of the original? It contributes noting new and unique to the cinematic universe. That’s quite valid criticism.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Under the Sea Premium Member

There are small, subtle changes to the story that really enhance it. A little more backstory for certain scenes that clear up a few things. I also think outside one performance, the performances are stronger in the remake, especially the singing.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not the same film. It's not like they kept the original audio track and replaced only the visuals. The basic story is the same, but the film is all new.

(In fact, IIRC James Earl Jones is the only actor returning from the original film)

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

But, same story scene for scene right, with less aesthetically pleasing animation. No new creative contributions, just new graphics.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. I haven't seen the 2019 version yet, but I'm fairly sure it's not a shot-for-shot remake.

15. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really. That's like saying "why see the movie when I can just read the book?" Sure the story might be the same, but the medium is very different. The way it tells the same story is very different. And this new Lion King does make some changes to the classic cartoon. Sure, it tells the same story but in it's own way. It's a brand new experience. Additionally, the visuals are spectacular. It captures the majesty of Nature in a way that the cartoon could never do. The cartoon was great but the movie is epic!

16. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't know what it is about the live-action version of cartoons that I have never liked.

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Its 99% similar.

18. StametsFungi

StametsFungi Commander Red Shirt

I can't believe they cut out "be prepared" - sure the scene is there but the song is almost completely cut out. IT WAS THE BEST PART OF FRICKIN' MOVIE!