The least disliked episode of TNG - season one

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by BlueStuff, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Bagofmostlywatr

Bagofmostlywatr Commander Red Shirt

Encounter at Farpoint
    Where No One Has Gone Before
    Lonely Among Us
    The Battle
    Datalore
    Too Short a Season
    Coming of Age
    Heart of Glory
    Skin of Evil

There goes conspiracy. Not a bad idea, but just wasn't done as well as it deserved.

2. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

"Too Short a Season," too long a stretch of time on this list. The terrible makeup alone should mark this one's end.

Encounter at Farpoint
    Lonely Among Us
    The Battle
    Datalore
    Coming of Age
    Heart of Glory
    Skin of Evil

3. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Coming of Age. To quote Homer Simpson, "Booooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiing." No, more than that, "Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooyyyyyyyyying."

Did Homer say that too?

Encounter at Farpoint
    Lonely Among Us
    The Battle
    Datalore
    Heart of Glory
    Skin of Evil

4. Mister Spock

Mister Spock Commander Red Shirt

Goodbye, Lonely Among Us.

It's not a memorable episode by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm mainly nominating it for Yar and Riker getting all preachy and condescending over the aliens eating real meat. Star Trek is littered with allegories and discussion over subjects like this, but this is it at it's worst. For me it's up there with the whole not lying thing from Justice.

Encounter at Farpoint
    The Battle
    Datalore
    Heart of Glory
    Skin of Evil

5. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Skin of Evil" had moments but outside of the beginning and ending there was much too little urgency.

Encounter at Farpoint
    The Battle
    Datalore
    Heart of Glory

6. vulqangan

vulqangan Ensign Newbie

Encounter at Farpoint
    The Battle
    Datalore
    Heart of Glory

Taking off "Where No One Has Gone Before". You know, for a show that tried to distance itself from its predecessor, it sure seemed to rehash a lot of it's plotlines.

7. Bagofmostlywatr

Bagofmostlywatr Commander Red Shirt

Ok . I'll make the unpopular choice that needs making.

The Battle
    Datalore
    Heart of Glory

Sentiment and separating the ship aside. It's just not that great.

8. TrekAlliance92

TrekAlliance92 Captain Captain

I like Lore, but I feel it's the weakest of the three episodes here, especially with how the crew just can't seem to figure out Data/Lore.

The Battle
    Heart of Glory

9. Ginger

Ginger Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Both are good season 1 eps, but I can't help but feel that a couple of better ones have fallen prematurely.

Anyway, from these two The Battle is better from memory, but on a critical re-watch of both I'd have to save Heart of Glory. The boy is too annoying in The Battle, it is a bit ham-fisted and sags a bit. Bok's sphere thingys are better on paper than execution, and the climax is a bit un-climactic.

Code of Honor starts well with the mystery of the ship and Geordie's bit. It re-defines Klingons and besically sets up Worf for the rest of TNG.

So, The Battle is ditched in favour of Code of Honor.

Code of Honor

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Don't you mean Heart of Glory?

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I certainly hope that's what Ginger means, because "Code of Honor" was...exceptional. :p

12. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those two are easy to confuse. Another one I have trouble with is Bloodlines and Firstborn, maybe even Inheritance. You could swap the titles and never know.

13. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Least disliked for me from season 1 would have to be 'Encounter at Farpoint', it has to be watched at least once to really get the "humanity's trial" thing.

And for a pilot episode made in the 80s, it's not bad.

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

EaF would be more likeable for me if the jellyfish weren't a one-time appearance (though I like that the novels did something with them) and if Troi's empathy wasn't set to 11 throughout the episode (very glad they toned that down going forward).

The episode with the Bynars was the only one I cared about enough to pick it up on VHS back in the day, but Heart of Glory is a fairly decent episode except that Security completely fails to notice the Klingons building a weapon in their cell.

15. Ginger

Ginger Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Whoops! That's what happens when you post tired! I did mean the Klingon one, not the racist one. Obviously. I agree with the criticism of security etc, but out if the two I maintain its the better one.

I had two Season 1 video tapes, Encounter at Farpoint (vol 1) and The Last Outpost/Where No One Has Gone Before (vol 3), which I have a feeling were a birthday present and must have cost a small fortune.