The Last Jedi Box Office discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Smellmet, Nov 17, 2017.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, they really don't. Because, merchandise will always sell at some point and a lot of that money is already in Disney's pocket.

Jax likes this.
  2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Brexit Kingdom of Meh Britain & Backwards Ireland
    Disney: I got ninety nine problems but Star Wars ain't one ;)

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Solo has a much of unrelated problems that have nothing to do with The Last Jedi.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ironically, Christmas Day has been the biggest disappointment of TLJ's boxoffice run so far. $27.5 million, 14% below Disney's initial estimate.

Went up a bit on Boxing Day, $28.5 mil. Mixed word of mouth has made some families see Jumanji instead.

5. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I call bullshit on any notion that these "Real Fans" will dismiss and ignore Solo/IX.

These people lamenting the loss of their franchise, petitioning to get films removed from "canon", and writing painfully long screeds about the implosion of the franchise are not only rather sad (be disappointed, sure, but this isn't life) but venomous hypocrites.

Every single one of them will be there for Solo and IX, if only to hate watch them. They can't not be part of the discussion. That is as much to many of these Real Fans as actually experiencing the product.

Attack of the Clones was one of the most singularly painful and embarrassing cinema experiences of my life and I've never shied away from showing my disdain for it. Yet, I was there for the midnight screening of Revenge . Why? Cos I'm a life-long fan and I held onto hope.

TLJ, for me, is the spark that will light the fire that will illuminate the path of Star Wars' future. For others it's the spark that will burn it down.

We will ALL see the continuing path with XI. Enjoyed and hate watched alike.

Hugo - looks towards the setting sun and disappears into the ether

Kor, Jedi_Master, fireproof78 and 2 others like this.
  6. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Even if the Solo movie is just a loosely connected set of events touched on in previous entries (kessel run, winning the falcon etc), and let's face it, it probably will be, I'll still be there on opening night.

7. Campe98

Campe98 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Admittedly, I need to see some footage of Solo first of all, but it may be the first of these new Star Wars films I don’t go rushing out to see. I love Han Solo. I really do love the casting. I have no issue with the behind the scenes drama.

I’m just not sure this is a Star Wars film we need.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Chuckle. What is it with the Internet?

"I didn't like it so I will not only talk about it endlessly, I will massage any and all reports to prove that my subjective judgment is actually part of a larger trend that will end the thing I didn't like for all TIME!"

Emh and Mach5 like this.
  9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

There's no Star Wars film that's "needed" - it's pure escapist entertainment.

I know some of the under 30 crowd think stuff like this all started with the internet; but no, you saw it in 'letters to the editor', fanzines etc. LONG before the internet came about. Welcome to fandom.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Jedi_Master likes this.
  11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Vice Admiral Admiral

Jax likes this.
  13. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Correct. Considerably less. And then RotJ bounced back but still did not surpass the original. Same thing with the prequel trilogy.

Star Wars box office history

14. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

My biggest fear was Disney oversaturating the market to the point that a Star Wars film no longer feels like a special event. I know they paid big money for it and want to see a quick return but they need to be careful or else franchise fatigue will hurt it.

15. Mach5

Mach5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Early Wednesday numbers put it at roughly 22 mil., which would be a 13% increase over last Wednesday.

For comparison, TFA's second Wednesday dropped 26% from the first.

Smellmet likes this.
  16. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Fleet Captain Premium Member

Yeah, 2nd fastest to $100 million, $150 million, $200 million, and $250 million, 3rd fastest to $300 million, $350 million, and $300 million. 2nd highest grossing of 2017 after only 2 weeks of release. Such a flop.

Campe98, Smellmet, Emh and 2 others like this.
  17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

but it didn't make $4 billion so it's a flop.

18. bigglesworth

bigglesworth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow... that's interesting. I hadn't really looked into the box office numbers before. I knew ANH was the top grossing SW movie, but for some reason I always assumed ESB was #2 or #3. BoxOfficeMojo has a breakdown of each movie with inflation adjusted grosses. ESB is actually #5 behind TFA, ROTJ, and TPM... go figure...

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

TESB also wasn't quite the loved film that it became upon release (I'm sure the Internet would of magnified that like with TLJ) but became acclaimed later.

History repeats ey.

Kor and Emh like this.
  20. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Madness Moderator

While I loved TLJ when I watched it the second time, I still think Empire had fewer obvious flaws than TLJ.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Jax likes this.