The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 1, 2010.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

2.7%
  2. Above Average

18.9%
  3. Average

18.9%
  4. Below Average

18.9%
  5. Poor

40.5%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's not anime. A lot of people mistakenly think it's anime because of the Asian influences, but it's an American show.

2. omgahitsbritt08

omgahitsbritt08 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

OMG! So they do get together. Romantic by heart. =] Thanks, Christopher for clearing that up.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Because of this little revelation, I see the show in a whole new light. Imagine... Aang, searching the world for benders so that they can teach him a thing or two. :rommie:

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Two of his teachers are females. :lol:

The sequel series takes plus 70 years in the future and deals with the next AVATAR.

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Then there was the scandal caused in Australia when they showed reruns of The Nanny because the theme song contained the word "fanny." "Fanny" merely means "butt," "ass," or "bottom" in the U.S. However, it's slang for "vagina" in Australia & the U.K.

And in the U.S., the British series Spooks was retitled MI-5 because "spook" is an American slang term for black people.

Yeah, as someone who never saw the TV show, I was pretty confused about that. I understood Zuko's overall motivations pretty well. The conflict between him & Zhao was pretty well established. What I didn't understand was why Zuko was wearing a weird blue mask or why Aang was so understanding that he helped to nurse Zuko back to health. The movie was full of story leaps like that. That's why I often had a hard time following it.

Overall, this has gotta be one of the shittiest movies I've ever seen. It's like they combined the worst bits of Eragon & The Golden Compass; two other incomprehensible fantasy epics that seem to only exist to set the stage for sequels that will never be made. The script sounded like it was written by a 10-year-old and was just as incomprehensible (and far less interesting) as a schizophrenic's manifesto about how Islam is trying to hypnotize Ronald Reagan's son through sociology.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This has to be the most self centered takes on the movie I've ever seen. You just took all of your political bias and shucked them onto your perception of this film in ways that don't even make sense.

The film has flaws for sure but...wow, just wow. You just pulled Reagan out of your ass.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Perhaps I should clarify. My review had nothing to do with political bias. Rather, it was an offhand reference to a news story that has been making the rounds in Arizona lately. It refers to an incident in May 1982 when a schizophrenic gunman barged into the channel 10 news studio in Phoenix and forced the news anchor to read a 20 minute rambling statement about the nuclear apocalypse that was to come in 1994. His statement also included references to the 10 "prophets" (who all seemed to be country singers, like Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Jr., & Conway Twitty) and to a conspiracy by "Islam" to brainwash Ronald Reagan's son with something called "funnelvision," described as a cross between sociology & hypnotism. You can listen to an audio broadcast of the entire manifesto @ http://kjzz.org/news/arizona/archives/200602/hostagesituation .

In retrospect, the reference was extremely obscure & facetious, even for me! In truth, there are only two comparisons I can make between this crazy man's manifesto & The Last Airbender...
    1.) Neither one makes a damn lick of sense.
    2.) At least the manifesto is kinda fun in a so-bad-it's-good sort of way. The Last Airbender is just bad!

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lastairbender.htm

So, Last Airbender crossed the $300 million mark globally! Between that and toy sales and DVD sales, I'm hopeful for a sequel. Sure the first one wasn't great but it's still my favorite toon... and just think! Live action Toph and Azula!

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

...Written by M. Night Shyamalan. No thanks.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Hitting $300 million WW is an accomplishment for sure. It looks good on the bottom line as an offset to its $150 cost. The movie most likely is at or near breaking even after distribution fees and theaters percentage is removed from that total.

Question is are they interested in moving forward with Book 2? Would the studio(any studio) like to ensure they can make a sequel for less and improve the quality? That is the gamble also taking place with Narnia 3: Dawntreader at Fox after Disney dumped the franchise after Prince Caspian.

Be curious to see what, if any, sequel news is generated after DVD sales. Assuming, again, that those could play a role in a sequel. This and SALT are movies I'm curious in a sequel and at least on the SALT front the studio has expressed possible interest. Haven't heard any on TLA as of yet, but that doesn't mean we won't.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Rifftrax for this available. Funny treatment of it, watching it right now.