The "I'm Not Paying" Confessional Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by USS Triumphant, Aug 23, 2017.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Then you won't be watching it for a year, unless you are pirating it.

:rolleyes:

I own it all, and consider it all "Star Trek". Thanks for your concern.

uniderth likes this.
  2. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I could watch it with a friend or family member who does have a subscription.

3. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Not by a longshot.

iTunes movie size: maybe 4-6 GB
    Same movie, Blu-Ray size: could be about 25-40 GB.

Kor and BillJ like this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Pretty poor manners not to chip in.

5. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I could peer eerily in through my neighbors window while they're watching.

Oh, wait, that's not helping. :shifty: :whistle:

BRT likes this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I should care about the raw numbers...why, exactly?

I've seen HD delivered via BluRay, and also HD delivered via iTunes. They both look the same to me. I sure can't detect any difference, anyway.

And we don't all have the luxury of having surround sound systems, so that goes out the window right away.

JoeP likes this.
  7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

My main reason for not subscribing to CBSAA is that I have a crappy internet connection, so streaming isn't my ideal format for watching TV shows and movies. Plus, I've got a fairly tricked out home theatre system with a widescreen TV and surround sound. It's just better for me to wait for it to come out on home video.

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I was little, the next door neighbors had their TV positioned in such a way that I happened to be able to see it clearly from my bedroom window. I found their video games quite enthralling.
    I am big on picture quality. To me, there is a noticeable difference in visual quality between streamed or purchase-download content, and blu-ray disc as a high-definition physical medium. This is especially evident in banding and in color depth. And the numbers reflect this.

Kor

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    starmike and BillJ like this.
  9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What makes you think I care about money, or that money has anything to do with me not subscribing to CBSAA? I simply have no desire to get a streaming service just to watch one show.

C.E. Evans likes this.
  10. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Well, if the image looks the same TO YOU, then maybe you don't know what to look for. Poor color reproduction, banding, limited audio bandwidth, you're already missing at least two audio channels (maybe more depending on the movie). Yeah, I've compared the two and there's no contest between them.

Kor and BillJ like this.
  11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's clear that there are a couple of factors at play here:

1. Some people have financial concerns. Although $7 per month doesn't seem that burdensome to me (how about one less trip to Starbucks per month, bruh?)...I can't judge other people's situations. Got to respect that I guess.

2. Some people are trying to make a statement with their wallets. Good luck. Happy pirating, jackass.

3. There is a "level of fandom" thing at play here. Some people just don't care enough about the franchise to want to subscribe. I say this because, given my level of love for all things Trek, I would find a way to subscribe no matter what my financial situation and no matter that it would be the only show I'd be watching on that service. So...I can't imagine being a fan of the franchise and saying "nah...I just don't care enough to be bothered" But again, that's personal choice, and you have to respect that. It's simply a choice I can't fathom.

4. There are people who prefer to purchase BR and DVD versions of the show. God Bless your patience...but gotta respect that.

For me, it's very simple...I'll watch the first season as a subscriber. If I don't get hooked or don't find it entertaining...I won't be a subscriber any longer. If I do enjoy it, I will maintain my subscription.

Like I've said before, $7 per month to watch a new Star Trek show is about the easiest purchase decision I'll ever make. It's about $1.75 per episode even if that's all I ever watch. I've already subscribed. I'm looking forward to streaming NFL Football as well.

12. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

"Star Trek: Discovery is ready for lift-off in Australia on Netflix on Monday September 25th -same day as the US.

The new series, released through CBS: All Access in the US, will see new episodes available on Netflix each Monday.

The 15-episode season will be released in two chapters: the first eight episodes will run from Monday, Sept. 25 through Monday, Nov. 6.

The season will then resume with the second chapter in January 2018."

I don't have Netflix but I know someone who does..

There is something to be said about watching when everyone else does. I see myself getting DVD or blu-ray as well.

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mind paying for a service just to watch one show. The only reason I had cable was so I could watch new episodes of Mad Men when they were first shown. And as soon as the final episode was done, it was good-bye cable forever!

Kor

14. Vger23

I'll likely also be getting the BR when it is released. I have TNG and TOS on BR and DS9 on DVD. I, like many others, am still a big believer in owning the physical copy of movies/shows I really enjoy.

15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still don't plan to subscribe. Really not a big deal to me. I didn't see Mad Men or Walking Dead until recently, so waiting a while just doesn't bother me.

I'm just now watching Trailer Park Boys. :lol:

16. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Tip toes in... (Don't forget to get Voyager ;))

17. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not going to pay for one(!) Star Trek show...
    I would think harder about it if I were completely blown away by the trailers or other promotional material, but as of now, everything looks rather... generic 'realistic' dark. Not that big a departure from the last few "darker" Trek shows, DS9, VOY or ENT, just a bit more serialized. Like a new Dominion war/Xindi-arc, just without the stand-alone episodes. I guess DIS will be alright though, and hopefully improve the more the writers get a grasp on the material (with the exception of TOS, all Trek shows have somewhat struggled during their first two seasons, so a crappy first season wouldn't turn me off).

Luckily, where I live, the show will be on NETFLIX, which has tons of other interesting stuff as well.

18. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Thursday, August 24th, is when stupid people who get the premiere dates for The Tick (August 25th) and Discovery (September 24th) confused think that Discovery starts. DOH!

I has a sad now.

19. Vger23

I bought those before they became available on Netflix...that's the only reason I don't own VOY and ENT right now!

Refuge likes this.
  20. Vger23

But...we want to talk about the show as it happens, man!!

USS Triumphant likes this.