The Handmaid's Tale (TV series)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skipper, Jan 29, 2017.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Netflix does release their original shows on DVD/Blu-Ray, but it looks like they might be the only one of the streaming services who does.
    I just checked Amazon, and they actually do have the first season to buy on their video service, so if they Hulu lets that happen, then they might put it out on DVD eventually.

2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For what it's worth, the dvd is listed on both UK and US Amazon (also Blu for the US) - but don't seem to have a release date yet so I'm not sure if it's on spec:(

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't see a DVD listing on Amazon, I must have overlooked it.

4. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Hulu would love to have a Canadian version, and a Latin American, European, International version of their product. Like Netflix though, they are even more restricted by national distribution rights of the series they stream.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Apparently Hulu has decided to follow Netflix’s precedent and wait nearly a year to release their original shows on dvd. If you go check those Amazon links they now have a release date of March 13th. Nice of them to give people a little time to catch up before the new season! Really looking forward to seeing where this goes next, especially in exploring areas of Gilead not explicitly shown in the book and the flashbacks to June’s Mom and before Gilead again.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Thanks for letting us know. I've put it on my Wish List.

Hopefully the Canadian showing won't be a week and a half behind Hulu like it was last year.

10. The Nth Doctor

Bradley Whitford has joined the cast.

The West Wing alum will play Commander Joseph Lawrence, the architect of Gilead’s economy, who is gruff and intimidating, with a disheveled mad genius vibe. His sly humor and flashes of kindness make him a confusing, mysterious presence for his newest Handmaid.
    The stellar cast keeps on getting better. :D

theenglish likes this.
  11. theenglish

What has been overlooked with the popularity of this series is that the novel was an allegory for the religious "southern" right. It was as much about the mentality of slavery as anything else and many scholarly editions have an appendices that link the characters to real world figures of the eighties. Today the children of several of those figures are playing a role in American politics making this story more relevant than it has been since the nineties. When I first read it in 2005, I considered it "historical". Silly me.

12. Timewalker

Margaret Atwood said she based it on a variety of repressive religious societies, including the Puritans. Nothing is in the novel that hasn't happened before, in some part of the world, at some point in time.

It's annoying when people screech and carry on that it's a criticism of Trump. The novel was written decades before Trump decided to try politics.

The parts of it that are currently apt are because Trump (and the Tea Party before him) walked right into it of their own choice.

13. The Nth Doctor

Another trailer:

14. theenglish

The version I read about ten years ago had an afterward by Margaret Atwood where she explained some of the history behind writing the novel. She mentioned that many of the characters (both on and off set so to speak) were allegorical for actual religious and political conservative personalities in the 80s.

I think the power of the story today is that although the faces change, the beliefs and the power to disrupt, do not. For me the story has always been a warning of how, even in the first world, we are always on the brink of collapsing into tyranny and, if we are not alert, it can happen rapidly.

Currently in the U.S., it has been very interesting to see individual States and Companies take up the banner of protection of people's rights and freedoms as the Federal government relinquishes control over those. In many ways that is what the States was supposed to be, a place where the Federal government maintains minimal interference in the daily lives of people and the individual states have authority over many areas that in other countries would be in the hands of the national governing body.

15. Timewalker

I have the first-season DVD now. Haven't watched it yet.

The 2nd season will start on April 29 in Canada, on Bravo.

16. The Nth Doctor

Yet another trailer:

Certainly looks like things are going to be just as dark in the second season as it was in the first.

17. Timewalker

I haven't looked forward to a season premiere this much in YEARS!

18. Timewalker

So... the Season 2 premiere was last night in the U.S., was it not?

Does the fact that nobody is talking about it mean that it's that boring, or that good that everyone is left speechless?

(I don't get to see it until Sunday)

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I thought it was pretty good. The wife found it disturbing.

20. The Nth Doctor

Absolutely speechless. It was painful to watch like every episode of last season. However, every little small act of defiance from June and Emily and others is such sweet relief from the madness.