The Genesis planet...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by los2188, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it is not easier and more logical at all you are saying that the wave magically traveled to a planet that was pretty far from the detonation point and at what seemed to be light speed for some unexplained reason and still had the energy to completely reform it into a planet capable of supporting life.

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

The damaged Enterprise reaches the Nebula pretty fast. It's not that far away.

Besides, remember the shockwave in TUC?
    Same author, same director.
    That shockwave travels a far greater distance in a pretty short time.

3. Hartzilla2007

but far away enough at the speed the wave would likely be traveling that it couldn't have reached and reformed the planet as fast as it did in the film.

Plus you have yet to explain just why the genesis wave would zero in on that particular planet.

It was a shockwave from an exploding moon that may or may not have been subspace based not an energy wave that reforms a planet, it's apples and oranges

4. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Yet time enough for a completely new planet to form?

Who said anything about "zeroing in"? Explosions expand in all directions in a vacuum.

Yeah, but the exploding warp-core and all that anti-matter in the Reliant aren't a factor?

5. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps it wasn't the Genesis Wave that was the threat Kirk was trying so desperately to warp away from. Perhaps it was just that at the painfully slow speed at which they were lumbering away from the Reliant and with shields non-functional, that the detonation of the ship's matter/antimatter reactors, whether by Genesis or otherwise, would destroy Kirk's ship.

6. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Oops. My bad.

Still, that shows that the nebula is some distance from the planetoid.

7. Hartzilla2007

well seeing as genesis tends to do the planet forming thing quickly thats likely not as mush of an issue as traveling a considerable distance and not only still having the energy to reform Regula but to do so before Spock dies from radiation poisoning.

Besides the view of the Genesis planet makes it look like the planet is just forming since it looks like magma is floating around it.

And yet by doing so the Enterprise would have to travel pretty far away from the area to not have everyone killed by genesis if this was the case, and they didn't seem to go far time wise.

Well seeing as warp core breaches don't work the way they would have to your scenario work.

No, they aren't a factor.

No, they specifically were running from the Genesis detonation.

8. CoveTom

"Specifically?" Based on what? From what I recall of the dialogue, there is nothing that specifically says it is the Genesis wave that will destroy the Enterprise. Yes, they're monitoring the countdown to its detonation, but that could simply be because they know it's detonation will also simultaneously detonate the Reliant's warp core, which might be the real threat to the Enterprise's safety.

9. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

When Kirk looks to David after getting the time and distance report, David shakes his head. They were running from Genesis.

10. Hartzilla2007

Plus if they were running from the warp core breach it would have been mentioned.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

There was also the remark about "overmining" the moon implying the Klingons were mining for something important like Dilithium.

Or the implication that the mining operation was a cover for heavy weapons development deep inside the moon, including subspace weapons, which we know were shortly after banned by the very Khitomer Accords seen at the end of the film, can't be a coincidence.

12. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

You know, I can accept that the Genesis Effect can cause (plant)-life to spring up pretty fast, or the release of gases that form an atmosphere which in turn, over time, will change the planet's surface.
    But I can't accept that this thing can scatter a nebula then pull it together so fast, so violently that it forms a planet which then cools down within minutes.

Genesis as a central plot-element, and as it was presented in the video is far fetched enough with its ability to create life. The idea that it can speed up the processes that create planets (accumulation of mass, pressure, heat, cooling down) is too far out there for me - yes, even with Trek's matter-transporters, warp-drives...

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Besides just all the time travel episodes, we've seen episodes when time has fractured, like TNG's Timescape. Given that the Genesis Planet evolved and blew up at an accelerated rate, it would really be surprising if its formation weren't accelerated, too (as I already pointed out upthread). There's nothing more implausible about the Genesis Planet than there is in episodes like Timescape. That protomatter sure must be powerful shit, though.

14. CoveTom

Okay, so what you're saying is that there wasn't a "specifically" then. You're basing it on a shared look between Kirk and David, and the fact that they did not specifically mention a warp core breach. So there is no "specifically."

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Well, they were running from the explosion of the Omega 13... I mean Genesis.
    But since the Genesis device wasn't the only thing that could explode on the Reliant, they were also running from everything else that would be ignited - mainly her anti-matter tanks.

16. CoveTom

But that's my point. Do we know what aspect they feared would lead to their destruction? We know that the Genesis torpedo is meant to be fired at a planet and detonate and do its magic on impact. How do we know how destructive its wave would be at a distance away from the original detonation? My point was perhaps that they were more concerned about the explosive force of the warp core breach than the Genesis wave.

17. RyanKCR

Then why did Kirk look to David after the time and distance reports? And why did David shake his head in response?

18. Hartzilla2007

And why wouldn't they have mentioned the warp core breach if that was what they were running from?

19. CoveTom

Well, aside from the fact that the term "warp core breach" hadn't even been invented yet, why should they mention it? They certainly didn't mention the fact that it was the Genesis wave they were running from either. I assume they didn't mention it because, in either case, everyone understood what they were running from.

20. RyanKCR

We know it was Genesis they were running from due to these two conversations: