The Game

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Qonundrum, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

What seemed like a cliche in 1991 has aged fairly well.

The episode starts with Riker and his babe o' the week getting busy on Risa, a planet that James T Kirk should be grateful he never heard of since half the diseases found on Risa had no cures back then.

I must say, the blu-ray Restoration is phenomenal. I usually watch DVDs with PowerDVD with enhancements to simulate higher quality, but for TNG-R all that gets turned off. Native quality will always look leagues better than simulated improvements, which are good buy only go so far.

It's nice to see Wesley return, even as a one-off.

Not sure how Geordi could have fallen prey to the gizmo.

But they figured out how to deactivate Data in a needlessly suspicious way - why not just have him break down and then he's stuck in -- Engineering and not Sickbay (?!), so Wesley could reconnect the circuit paths on the PCB to get Data to move around again with his modified palm beacon.

Obviously, the writers had to "go there" about episodic television. Leffler informs Wesley how next week nobody will think it existed. Then again, in real life people forget about previous events as well. Other TV shows bring up the issue of multiple alien invasions and how all the humans forget the previous ones.

Boothby is introduced. Great choice for actor they would later hire for that role, as seen in "Voyager" episodes referencing him for no reason as well.

The blu-ray restoration is fantastic; comparing the episode preview (videotape) to the actual episode (blu- remaster), it truly is amazing. No computer tweaking can even come close...

And the technobabble is handled well, too.

Wesley blinks while his eyes are held open when they put on the game gizmo (modified wireless telephone headset braces...) As with TOS, TNG loved finding everyday obvious and using them in a sci-fi setting and making them look and feel authentic. No 3D glasses required to sell the notion.

Well, almost. Data's "palm beacon", which doesn't look like any palm beacon he or other characters used in episodes before or after, is merely a Radio Shack brand portable strobe light for partygoers. I know that because I used to work there and had to sell those stupid things.

There's one terrific scene, as Wesley heads to the turbolift to find the blueshirt having a good time inside, to where another crewmember checks him out. It's subtle, and is a miss-it-if-you-blink moment, but it's there nonetheless.

And how could anyone review this episode without mentioning the (in)famous "ice cream scene"? Now, I almost prefer Sisko's discussing fish and beets in "Equilibrium" because as he talks you can feel the taste of the foods he discusses and wanting to pop down to the store to pick some up to make some gazpacho soup with, and those foods are healthier too, but let's be real: Troi set the stage for that type of scene with her little chocolate ritual, which also clearly gets the sexually insatiable Riker intrigued - um, didn't he get enough on Risa already? (No, he wants to hook her up with a device that needs batteries this time...) Anyway, there's Troi making a mountain out of her bowl of chocolate fudge, chocolate ice cream, and chocolate chips, and the audience is right there getting to feel empathy for Troi while imagining what it all must taste like. Yum...

Marina Sirtis, who deserved more in TNG's 7 year run, did get the occasional scene where she's more than just "sensing the obvious, Captain", and the triple chocolate delight is one of those outings. Indeed, it's one is on of the more fun outings. While not as educational as "The Ensigns of Command" involving language between beings (another great scene to not be missed), this one makes you want to go out and buy all that chocolate and gain 50 pounds by eating it all.

Mmmm, chocolate fudge, chocolate ice cream, and chocolate chips...

[​IMG]
    (that's me about 20 pounds ago...)

*cough*

Also notice, how the moment she becomes an addict of the game, note how Marina acts being taken over. At first there's a subtle nuance with "sinister acting", which is awesome. Once she's isolated in Sickbay, she becomes the sort of person you don't want to meet and upset in public. She adds real dimension to being taken over and adds just that much more menace to the story, which was needed.

Her scenes in episodes like in "Ensigns" and "Game" makes me yearn for more Troi. Marina really sells Troi wonderfully when getting scenes other than sensing the obvious as scene filler and a consummate professional, she does the stock scenes with aplomb as well. But she deserved more, and scenes like this one have the audience wanting more. But the chocolate scene is not to be missed.

I also wonder how she would have been as Dayna in Blake's 7 if she won the role, as she auditioned for it, but that was in 1980...

Also, who managed to get Picard to try on the game? Seems a bit too much out of character...

TNG not only created the tablet computer pad, they also created what is actually "Angry Birds" - but using a disc and cone instead of little birdies and piggies. Anybody else out there remember "Angry Birds"? I don't... and by next week everybody forgot the Ktarians as well, since when "Voyager" came about they changed the design and prosthetics for actors to wear, with no explanation. :(

That and when Wesley is finally coerced to play the game, there's a nice eerie feeling of suspense.

All in all, it's a nice slice of season 5's better days. Brought back nice memories of nostalgia. Previous TNG seasons were far better in terms of quality, but compared to later season 5 episodes this one still has some mojo. Thank Marina for that. And, of course, all that chocolatey goodness... :drool:

Season 5 score: 9/10, overall TNG score: 7/10

Footnote disclaimer: I don't have a crush on Marina. I'm just in appreciation of what she brings to the table in this episode. That also happens to be rule number 8675309: Always be more interested in Jenny... :razz:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still can't believe that Wil Wheat was Ashley Judd's first kiss in her acting career ...

3. gillmanjr

gillmanjr Lieutenant Red Shirt

I love the dress that Ashley Judd wears when they go out to dinner. The strap across her neck is hot. I had my wife watch the episode just so I could tell her to find the same dress and wear it, so I could remove it.