The Future Circular Collider - a waste of money?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Asbo Zaprudder, Jan 17, 2019.

1. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

That's called Coast-to-Coast AM

2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Commodore Commodore

Don't listen to the likes of Sabine Hossenfelder! We should never stop looking for new Physics, $$$ be damned. It will not make particle physics look bad. That's just silly. Sure, the FCC will be costly, but compare this to the cost of LIGO over the years, or the Event Horizon Telescope, or even the Apollo Program! Yes, ultra-high energy cosmic rays provide a window into the PeV range, and there's nothing stopping us from looking there too.

The FCC will happen, in some form or another, in some country or another. If I was a betting persona, I'd say China will build their supercollider first (they have the PR backing of Nima Arkani-Hamed, after all).

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  3. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't weighed in on this one yet...

Science, for science's sake is always worth the effort. Even if nothing groundbreaking comes of it - the effort usually answers some old questions - and brings forth new ones to pursue.

4. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess that even if it fails all the experience in building the various kinds of equipment, mechanical, elecronical, powersuply, magnetical etc etc ect would already be worth its weight in gold.

5. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Sabine Hossenfelder is not suggesting that "we" should "stop looking for new physics" though

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.