The Federation becoming so human-centric

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by gantoris, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will certainly grant that it is a creative interpretation of the canon, but it is still consistent with the canon. "These Are the Voyages..." did not established that Trip died in 2161 -- it established that popular history at the time of 2370 recorded his death as happening in 2161. The Good That Men Do merely establishes that popular history was falsified. ;)

It's a creative reinterpretation, but it is not actual discontinuity.

Paul Weaver and VulcanMindBlown like this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see your point. Personally, I always thought that the novel's retcon raised more problems than it was worth (for example, the novel's changed the date of Trip's death, which I found hard to understand why the family wouldn't correct that). Also, I thought the novels would've been more interesting if they had followed the TV show and shown the effects of the canon version of 2161 and how that would've played out. It also takes me out of the novels a bit, since the "discrepancy" makes the books feel like a "what if?," not a continuation of the TV show. On top of that, having Trip being super spy is not an enjoyable turn of events for me. I'd rather've seen him at his post during the Romulan War books, like he would've been in canon.

On the other hand, if they wanted to do something like this, the non-canon books would be the place to do it. Suffice to say, I don't feel that the novels have benefitted from having Trip alive and I don't like what they've done with the character since, so I feel contradicting the TV show despite staying within the letter of it wasn't worth it. Your mileage may vary.

3. VulcanMindBlown

VulcanMindBlown Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, I was just mentioning that the stories of the Romulan War between Earth and Romulus were explored in those books. :sigh:

4. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

Real reason is budget. When making the TV shows, Star Trek (especially TOS) had to limit themselves to budgetary constraints, in addition to the technological limitations of the time. The easiest way around this was to simply say that individuals that looked outwardly identical to Humans were actually some alien race, or to add minor embellishments to a Human's nose/ears/forehead. When Star Trek DID get a big budget, usually for films, they definitely went out of their way to portray the Federation and Starfleet as quite diverse.

[​IMG]

Within the in-universe context, I think that there was a good mix of species portrayed in the Federation. While they did not explicitly show Bolians very often, it is worth noting that there was already a Bolian captain in TNG's first season who was established enough to be one of Picard's closest confidants. One of the most respected publishing houses in the Federation was also run by a Bolian (Broht & Forrester).

I think one of the reasons Starfleet is so Human-centric, though, is that some of the other races within the Federation do not have the strive for exploration that Humans do. This is referenced several times on Enterprise when Humanity comes into contact with a new species for the first time. Many find the entire notion of exploration for exploration's sake to be an entirely foreign concept. So I suppose it's reasonable to presume that this cultural divide still exists to some degree a few centuries later.

VulcanMindBlown likes this.
  5. Devilpogostick

Devilpogostick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is something I think is a plausible answer. While the other founding members are well established powers of their own right, humanity is the one willing to take the extra mile that the others aren't too interested in during the period where tensions were at a flaring point. The fact that humanity lack a good load of that political baggage to say to the rest "hey guys, how about instead of getting into pissing matches with each other, we should see the bigger picture here?" Helps a good lot. I mean course, Archer really caused that blunder in P'jem and nearly destroyed humanity's sole alliance but damn did a ton of luck (since that act did attract Shran's attention) and a hell load of maturity on Archer's part made up for it.

And since I can see humanity (well, Starfleet that is) open up their doors with open arms...It kinda made sense that Earth be the center of the Federation regarding political affairs and technological advances. Not to mention if a Federation world wanted to leave, they still got their unique flavor to hold on to.

6. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terrible having truth and transparency.

Paul Weaver and Long Syntax like this.
  7. Sci

I don't agree with that characterization of Archer's decision to give United Earth Starfleet sensor data to the Andorian Imperial Guard. Vulcan's influence on United Earth was more akin to that of a hegemon's influence on a client state; Archer always resented the way the Vulcan government so dominated the United Earth government. He wanted United Earth to become co-equal with Vulcan, rather than being a client state. By handing over that data, he established that United Earth could be counted upon as an honest broker, and opened up the doors to friendly relations with the Andorian Empire (instead of being sucked into Vulcan's cold war rivalry with Andor on Vulcan's side). This decision literally saved Earth, since the Andorians sent the IGS Kumari to help United Earth Starfleet forces fight the Xindi Superweapon a few years later.

Nyotarules likes this.
  8. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But, to bring up the counterpoint, was he betraying an ally on a snap judgement? (I forget the specifics, but I do recall that Vulcan officially complained to United Earth about it and that T'Pol was scapegoated by the Vulcan High Command to some extent for her part in it).

Now, I will agree that everything worked out in the end, but, without any knowledge of the future, was it the right call at the time, based on what they knew at that moment?

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Archer didn't know about the base going into the situation, and was lied to by the Vulcans present,or at the very least they did not give him any reason to think the Andorians might actually be correct. In doing so he took a lot of punches for the team (and got some respect from the Andorians for being bold). When he found out that the Andorians were correct, he felt somewhat betrayed and since the Andorians had witnessed the bases, he decided the best way to end the situation he was in was to just hand over the human's sensor data (as taken by their one Vulcan observer, who he orders to be the one to hand them the data) as a sign of good faith, since there is no way to get out of the fact that there is a giant listening outpost right in front of all of them.

While the Andorians would later send ships to blow the place up, they also would be willing to listen when the pink skins show up between them and the Vulcans. Archer earned respect, and thus opened a pathway to ending the conflict between Vulcan and Andoria, and thus an opening for Earth to gain new allies.

Nyotarules likes this.
  10. Sci

Not necessarily. For one thing, we don't know that United Earth considered Vulcan to be an "ally." It was never an equal partnership -- Vulcan always dominated Earth. Given that the NX-01 Enterprise had already been launched against the will of the Vulcan government, I'd say it's entirely possible that United Earth policy in 2151 was not so much that Vulcan was a military ally as a cultural one, and that therefore United Earth personnel were under no obligation to assist Vulcan in maintaining its military secrets.

Bear in mind also that the Vulcan sensor station on P'Jem was explicitly established to be in violation of a treaty between Vulcan and Andor.

According to "Home," it was also the pretext by which the First Minister of Vulcan was forced out of office and Administrator V'Las assumed dictatorial power.

You bring up an excellent point -- by that point in the episode, United Earth personnel had already risk death and significant injury trying to protect the P'Jem temple from the Andorian Imperial Guard. So the Vulcans had directly acted against the interests of United Earth and endangered United Earth citizens in order to keep their sensor station a secret.

Also an excellent point -- it wasn't like there was any way to keep a lid on what they had all seen by that point.

11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with this explanation the most. It was even touched-upon and alluded to here and there during TNG and TOS...that humanity (after all, Humans made the show...so we are allowed conceit) has a unique need and drive to explore and be challenged.

12. SpaceFlotsam

SpaceFlotsam Cadet Newbie

Because this is a Western culture creation, and is told from the perspective of that culture base. It does not emphasize the other races' perspectives for this reason.

Nyotarules likes this.
  13. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I'd say there are alien influences in the federation there just not prominently shown on screen. Apparently a large number of the federation's top scientists are aliens and I imagine culturally alien influences have been wide felt.

14. horridperson

horridperson Ensign Newbie

Humans in Trek (and most other shows portraying human interactions with alien species) are usually portrayed as cagey, innovative or possessing a supernatural spirit that tends to allow us to conquer the unconquerable. Blame it on the writers catering a human-centric audience :D . We overcome enemies who are stronger, smarter and more technologically advanced as we are the cosmic chosen ones. The Joe Average of the universe humans have a Campbellesque hero quality and a jack of trades adaptability that aliens (who particularly in Trek) are exaggeration of particular human traits (qualities and defects). The human might not be the fastest runner but he ran marathons and if he isn't particularly strong in either trait he will dig deep and eye of the tiger across the finish line just the same.

Particular to the question humans were the catalyst to the Federation. Humanity alarmed their Vulcan stewards because of their voracious advancement concerning them with the peirl of advanced technologies in such a primally driven species. Human proved to be great ambassadors reaching out to the disparate galactic entities who would form the Federation. Part of this was the "touch" but there is also being a new kid in the quadrant not having histories with any of the others and being able to look at problems with fresh eyes.

The Romulan War was never presented on screen but the written record establishes that Earth fought the Romulans alone; Romulan tactics had isolated Earth from the allies she was cultivating. This event is recognized as a coming of age by the rest of the galactic community that makes the possibility of humanity as leaders a reality. Defeating the Romulans gave humanity the credibility to be recognized as having a strength (be it material or a fortitude) to defeat an enemy their neighbors thought insurmountable. The qualities were there but there was a need for this trial by fire to bring the species to preeminence.

15. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, Spock's briefing of the crew in BoT mentioned "allies," although that might have been a reference to the Romulan allies, I think it was to Earth's.

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Then too--if dolphins were involved--episodes might be--fight a Klingon, eat a fish...look for Romulans...eat a fish...

17. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I would make an IU interpretation and say human nature has itself been radically transformed and that human beings of the 20th and 21st century have an entirely different psychology than those of the 24th.

18. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Well, look at the competition. Andorians require a union of four to produce one offspring. Grossly inefficient. Vulcans only breed once every seven years, and they're very complacent. Humans, as demonstrated throughout the series and our own history, are expansionistic and very fecund.

19. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

We Humans are very good lovers and our music is designed for making babies unlike Vulcan music. We will out breed them, aliens.

20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Real reason - poor world building by writers due to budgetary constraints with makeup. Also the Eurocentric bias of the writers, not only are there not many aliens shown in Star Trek but most of the humans in the fleet are North American Caucasians to pander to their main audience.

In universe reason - what we see does not represent the whole Federation or every starship in the fleet .e.g The show called Dallas where everyone on it is rich, white and works in the oil business, a real representation of the city right?
    Other human dominated starships are run by the Chinese and Indians.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017