The Fall: Peacable Kingdoms cover

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Sep 21, 2013.

1. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wait, what....*Admiral* Riker?

2. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What is this I don't even

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'm with you. wha wha whaaaa :wtf:

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:cardie:Is this a real description for the Peaceable kingdom real or a phony book description someone posted from another site.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

6. JoeZhang

Oh and I missed the last paragraph, here's the full thing:

Following the resolution of the fertility crisis that nearly caused their extinction, the Andorian people now stand ready to rejoin the United Federation of Planets. The return of one of its founding member worlds is viewed by many as the first hopeful step beyond the uncertainty and tragedy that have overshadowed recent events in the Alpha Quadrant. But as the Federation looks to the future and the special election to name President Bacco’s permanent successor, time is running out to apprehend those responsible for the respected leader’s brutal assassination. Even as elements of the Typhon Pact are implicated for the murder, Admiral William Riker holds key knowledge of the true assassins— a revelation that could threaten the fragile Federation-Cardassian alliance.

Questions and concerns also continue to swell around Bacco’s interim successor, Ishan Anjar, who uses the recent bloodshed to further a belligerent, hawkish political agenda against the Typhon Pact. With the election looming, Riker dispatches his closest friend, Captain Jean-Luc Picard, in a desperate attempt to uncover the truth. But as Picard and the Enterprise crew pursue the few remaining clues, Riker must act on growing suspicions that someone within Ishan’s inner circle has been in league with the assassins from the very beginning . . . .

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, looks like they're bring about some major changes to the status quo here.
    I wonder what Riker's promotion will mean for Titan. I'm assuming since Riker's an admiral he probably won't be in command anymore. I wouldn't be totally against them continuing the series with Vale in command and Tuvok as her XO.

9. JoeZhang

Maybe it is ending?

10. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

There's at least one ebook for Titan due after Poisoned Chalice/The Fall so I don't think so.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But do we know for a fact that it's set after The Fall?

12. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

Absent Enemies is described as being set in the "Trek Present", and it won't be released until Feb. so presumably it's set in the post The Fall status quo.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For all we know it will
    tie up loose ends, as a sort of send-off, with Titan getting a new CO, perhaps Vale.

14. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not opposed to...

Vale as Captain and Tuvok as XO either. Just keep the "Strange New Worlds" format. Or Riker could return to being Captain afterward. *shrug*

15. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Whoa holy pancakes Batman fecal matter! I was not expecting the blurb to spoil books that haven't been released yet (ie. A Ceremony of Losses).

I looked away after seeing that first thing, but whoa.

EDIT: Okay, I went back and read it. It's not awful, but it does pretty clearly spoil a major plotpoint from A Ceremony of Losses, and almost certainly one from The Poisoned Chalice. Ugh.

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The spoilage was almost inevitable at this point.

I'll agree with those wanting Titan to continue past The Fall.

17. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Why couldn't Riker still be Admiral and still be in Command of Titan? Where does it say that all Admiral's have to be desk-bound and in command of a Starbase or somewhere close to Earth?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Admirals don't command ships. True, they are present on their flagships and can issue orders to the ship's captain, but they are not technically in command of the ship.

19. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I've spoiler-coded the previous two posts - this is not a review thread, you have to watch what you say and going by reactions further up the thread about what you are discussing I can only assume it happens within the Fall series, so let's just err on the side of caution.

thank you :)

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't really feel the need to spoiler code my post since I wasn't really discussing a plot point, just discussing to roles of officers of that rank. But I agree, one can never be too careful with spoilers so I won't argue the matter.