The Eternal Question: TNG or DS9

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Spirit of 73, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean TNG people feel perfectly relatable to me. They don't feel like people of our era and they shouldn't, but they're relatable. People speaking differently than I do or having different interests do not make them non-relatable for me*. Having different values might, if the difference is too drastic. But people in a good period piece or indeed in Shakespeare's plays feel relatable to me. Perhaps this is a cultural thing. Americans tend to mostly consume American-made media, they're rarely exposed to dramas which do not depict their culture. Now, as a Finn, most of the media I consume is made somewhere else. They're products of a foreign culture to me, so I'm used to watching dramas that depict people who are different from me.

* (That being said, personally for me Picard liking Shakespeare is far more relatable than Sisko obsessing over baseball.)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Arpy, fireproof78 and Spaceship Jo like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

They are quite different, as well as understandable in their culture. I personally enjoy each of the TNG's characters little quirks. I personally But, staying with them is not appealing to me. It's not a matter of their different culture. It's a matter sticking with them through their adventures. That's the challenge.

3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yaknow... DS9's most relatable character...

...was a TNG character(O'Brien)

Wuubammm!

JesterFace and Longinus like this.
  4. Longinus

So true!

5. fireproof78

Yes, indeed. I think O'Brien was one of TNG's bright spots to be sure, with episodes like "The Wounded," "Diaster," and "Power Play" being stand out episode for me.

6. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

And he couldn't go to holodeck like Tuvok- weren't invented yet. It was either go crazy, or go to some brothel.

Exactly, this is kind of what I meant. They always show the adventures or romances, but leave out the details or consequences.

The more episodic a show is, the more of this you tend to see in the characters. TOS was way more than TNG. TNG was a bit more than DS9. DS9 had it too, but it focused more on character continuity so they tended to talk about even small things that happened weeks, months or years ago.

It fleshes out the characters more when they do things like that.

If this is "In the Pale Moonlight", the entire point of the ending is that he deletes the log and decides not to ever speak of it ever again.

Before that, he says he can live with it. There's a subtle moment when while saying it again, he's raising a glass of alcohol to his mouth and then realizes it and calmly puts it down and repeats he can live with it. Then he deletes the entire record of what happened.

In fact, the actual event happened 2 weeks prior to Sisko talking about it in the log. Technically, he IS remembering something that took place a week ago

After DS9 helped bring it all out :). Even Obrien claimed he was getting bored standing by transporters all the time lol.

Obrien got air time, scenes and whole episodes in DS9 in ways that he could never get from TNG. DS9 was more supporting of an ensemble cast.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. Longinus

The whole fucking point of him repeating 'I can live with is' that he is doubting whether he can. He is shaken, he is changed. It should affect his behaviour. He is not the same man any more. This should have an impact.

LOL, that's an absurd cop-out. It was in the same episode!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. fireproof78

Honestly, and I doubt this was intentional, but I think his pouring out the drink with Martok wasn't just rejecting the Klingon tradition but also turning his back on the man he had to become during the war.

That might be me reading too much in to it. But, I think I can live with it.

9. JesterFace

JesterFace Commodore Commodore

The thread title is a bit confusing to me because I don't remember pondering this question, as I remember it, TNG has always been the winner. :)

Spirit of 73 and Longinus like this.
  10. Spirit of 73

Spirit of 73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Exactly.

Greg Cox likes this.
  11. Spirit of 73

That's six of one, half dozen of the other, isn't it?

12. Spirit of 73

This is a point I keep coming back to. I love long-form story telling, but I can also appreciate episodic stuff.

If we're discussing which one we prefer, then your feelings about episodic story telling are going to play a large role. But if we are talking about which series was better, it makes no more sense to criticize TNG for being episodic than it does to criticize DS9 for being more long form.

Spaceship Jo and Arpy like this.