The Dark Crystal Prequel Series Coming To Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, May 18, 2017.

1. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

RE: Trailer ....

I thought the trailer was awesome and faithful to most of the original designs. It's been so long since I've seen Dark Crystal that I'm going to have to watch it again before jumping into this new series. Looking forward to this.

Q2

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They just added it to Netflix, I'm assuming in preparation for the series, so you can watch it there.
    At least with this taking place either hundreds or thousands of years before the movie, any differences in how the returning characters sound can be explained by them just being younger.
    I watched on the Netflix app on my PS4, and it looks even better on my TV than it did on my computer.
    The Gelflings actually did look a bit more expressive on the bigger screen where you can see more of the details. There is still a bit of the dead eye look you are talking about, but I think a lot of that comes down to the overall design and way they are built, and to get rid of it completely you'd probably have to pretty drastically change their design, to the point that they wouldn't even be recognizable as Gelflings.

Awesome Possum and OCD Geek like this.
  3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen the film in decades but recall that the Gelfings were pretty much exterminated to prevent the prophecy coming true.

So I'm wondering the new series will address that issue. It wouldn't be the first time a genocide has featured prominently in a tv series (BSG comes to mind) but it also might be a little to dark for this series.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been wondering about that too. I could see them hinting at it at the end without actually showing the event itself.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

They will do more than allude to it, I think. There were several scenes in the teaser of a white glittery fluid moving through tubes into a bowl. I believe that to be Gelfling essence, or “Vlaya”. We saw this process imposed on a number of Podlings and Kira in the original film and I suspect they will delve deeper into the Scientist’s shady practices, basically harvesting the very thing that caused the Gelfling extinction in the first place in order to preserve the Emperor’s “youth” over the many hundreds of years since the Sundering.

I wonder if the series will explore the languages that they come up with in the original and was later overdubbed after test audiences decided they didn’t like reading a lot of subtitles. The Skekses, Ur’ru, Pods, Gelflings and even Aughra had their own languages written up. “Vlaya” became “essence”, “Hakhskeekah” (sp?) became “Trial by Stone”, “Ur’ru” became mystics, and so on.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So was it pretty much just the Scientist's extracting the Vlaya that wiped out the Gelflings rather than a war or anything like that?
    My only experience with The Dark Crystal so far is the movie, Creation Myths and the novelizations, so there are some gaps in knowledge.
    It sounds like the show actually will be staying consistent with JM Lee's novels that have been coming out the last few years. Anybody read them and know how they might related to each other?
    Amazon has The Art and Making of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance coming out on November 5th. It's $50, but depending on what I end up thinking of the series, I might just have to splurge and get it. TDC is one of a very limited number of franchises where I'd actually be willing to spend that kind of money on something like this.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

It’s been a long time since I read the original novelization (pretty much when the first film was released), but IIRC, since the Skekses knew that Gelflings were prophesied to be the instruments of their destruction, their thoughts were, why waste them? They need to all die anyway, but before we wipe them all out, we’ll extract their essence for our own purposes. After the Gelflings were all wiped out, they continued to extract Vlaya from the more sustainable Podling slave source, albeit not as potent.

The Skekses somehow retained their technological knowledge that they brought with them to Thra when they were still united as the UrSkeks. They created the Garthim, which were based on crustacean creatures from their home world - not native to Thra - which is why they collapsed when the crystal was healed by Jen and the Skekses and Ur’ru were rejoined.

I’m really hoping they more deeply explore this tech and mythology that they only touched upon in the movie. It’s a rich world (and probably my all-time favorite movie, like ever) which is completely unique and original in cinematic history. Sure, at its core it is a “battle between good and evil” with a prophesy and fantasy creatures thrown in, but the creativity behind its design was just a masterpiece and possibly the apex of Henson’s career (IMO, of course) :). I’ve been waiting for this for nearly 40 years.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think some of that does sound vaguely familiar from the novel. I read it too, my memory just isn't that great, so I've already forgotten a lot of it.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a long war from what I recall. A few hundred years.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

They did spend a lot of time designing the world, and we only got a glimpse of it in the 1982 movie.