The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

:D :bolian:

Heh. Did they re-run it, or is that clip on more than one episode?

:(

Most people probably think of The Cosby Show first, but I always think of him as the I, Spy guy. Although I do remember a lot of his early stand up, but I'm not sure from where-- probably Ed Sullivan.

That's fascinating. Dude has layers. It's hard to imagine that Rameses started out playing for nickels and dimes in nightclubs.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Nah, it was on Friday, I was just getting immersed in the 50 Years Ago perspective. I hadn't watched it yet at that point, though...I was saving it for last night.

I meant that it reminded me of when @Christopher goes into character as Adam West's Batman...so chin up, old chum.

Current Sullivan I've got on: From Dec. 1, 1957, Buddy Holly and Sam Cooke in the same episode! Toss in the Rays ("Silhouettes") and Bobby Helms ("My Special Angel") for good measure.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  3. RJDiogenes

Yikes. Spoilers!

Whew.

I think I recorded the Buddy Holly episode. I hope I did.

4. The Old Mixer

For somebody who was so charisma-challenged, Ed really was quite the showman. I've seen him participate in comedians' acts, but tonight he let Victor the Bear eat ice cream from his mouth!

I don't suppose they ever did a Topo Gigio / Muppets crossover...?

5. RJDiogenes

Ed Sullivan was really one of the most inexplicable things in entertainment history. I don't know how he ever even got on the radio, let alone TV. :rommie:

6. The Old Mixer

Tonight we got an Oct. 2, 1966, Muppets appearance with Kermit and a scientist making things they thought about visualize over their heads...including letters and numbers. Was Sesame Street becoming a gleam in somebody's eye? The episode also featured Jimmy Durante and the Four Seasons...as separate acts, not Jimmy Durante & The Four Seasons.

It's pretty stupid of Decades to run their onscreen blurbs over the show's blurb with the name of the guest (in this case singer/dancer Gwen Verdon).

Another variety act was Arthur Worsley, an English ventriloquist whose mouth movements were really obvious.

7. RJDiogenes

I hope I recorded that. I don't remember seeing Muppets in the descriptions.

"Oh, what a night. Late December back in '23. Good night, Mrs Calabash, wherever you are."

I hate those blurbs.

8. The Old Mixer

Normally I barely notice them, but when I deliberately rewind to catch the name of an act and get the blurb splattered all over it the entire time it's onscreen...!

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing

_______

The Ed Sullivan Show
    Season 20, episode 2
    Originally aired September 17, 1967
    (as edited for The Best of the Ed Sullivan Show)

The Doors open (unintended) with their brand-new single, "People Are Strange," which is practically a music video with the superimposed, polychromatic headshots.

Jack Benny, ported in from Apr. 30, 1967, was kind of dry, joking about his professional relationship with Ed.

I covered what I had to offer about Yul Brynner and Aliosha Dimitrievitch's "Two Guitars" in an earlier post.

Next we got the Skating Bredos, a duo doing roller-skating acrobatics.

"Young" Flip Wilson--The knight routine didn't really do anything for me.

Robert Goulet, "Mame" (from June 5, 1966)--Was Robert Goulet on this? I must have been doing something else. :p

The Doors return with one of the most legendary moments of the show, their censor-defying performance of "Light My Fire."

The viewers at home likely had little idea that they were witnessing a moment in history that would live in memory 50 years later...there's no particular drama to it on-camera, they just do the song with the same words that got played on the radio. The set decoration with all the doors was a bit too obvious.

_______

Mission: Impossible
    "Trek"
    Originally aired September 17, 1967

Phelps gets his orders in a phone booth, from a tape built into what I assume is the coin compartment.
    An acceptable variation, differing only in that it specifies the recording medium.

Our guest agent this time around is a puppeteer who makes a dummy of Rollin to fall from a cliff.

The IMDb review wasn't exaggerating about the (likely unintended) connections with the Desilu show that shares half its name with this episode. We get the outpost from "Arena"; Vasquez Rocks; some very familiar music cues...and oh yeah, Mark Lenard.

This one definitely has some genuine danger in the plan, with the hijacker being an unpredictable element who, among other things, almost shoots Cinnamon.

Interesting contrast with the Sullivan episode that aired earlier the same night--In character, Phelps mentions being stoned, though I see that the expression was once used as a synonym for being drunk.

_______

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    "The Test Tube Killer Affair"
    Originally aired September 18, 1967
    Open Channel Description Error--I believe the entire episode took place in Mexico and Greece.

Solo and Kuryakin are working together again...and contrary to the babysitting half of the formula that was so common last season, our female guest spends the episode as the enemy agent's ally. The way that she's played by the handsome young THRUSH uber-agent the entire episode gets annoying. I didn't catch why this one superman was so important to Solo and Kuryakin when THRUSH had a school of them...but he happens to be the one running a mission, so the angle works out for them. And aw, isn't that sweet, he overcomes his training to be emotionless and opts to help the girl in the end...and gets killed by Solo for it.

I was wondering if Solo and Kuryakin's UNCLEmobile was new...a little Googling tells me that it was an AMT Piranha and indicates that it had been used in Season 3, though I don't recall noticing it before.

The concept around which the episode was based wasn't terribly well-realized...THRUSH needs specially trained "supermen" to plant bombs?

I don't have much of an ear for TV composers, but hearing so much of his Trek-sounding work on M:I, I instantly recognized this as Gerald Fried's work

_______

The Rat Patrol
    "The David and Goliath Raid"
    The title refers to how the Rat Patrol operates from a serious disadvantage after their Jeeps get blown up by Dietrich. He could easily pounce on them at any time after that, but he doesn't want to risk that they'll destroy the valuable charts to keep them out of German hands. So Dietrich plays a siege game, keeping them surrounded and trying to lure them into surrendering. Though in the end, it might have been smart for the Germans to go ahead and blow them to smithereens in order to keep the charts out of American hands, which is where they wound up, of course, after the Patrol managed to capture a German vehicle.

I don't have anything terribly insightful to say so far, because from what I've seen, it's really a very simple, straightforward show.

_______

Batman
    "Ring Around the Riddler"
    Originally aired September 21, 1967
    So...we have at least two episodes this season that involve Batman and one of his arch-foes engaging in a competition while wearing trunks outside their costumes. And yeah, West's Batman having a "chicken" trigger is completely out of character.

:lol:

This episode's Batgirl assessment:
    • When the Riddler robs the box office, Batgirl is the first crimefighter on the scene.
    • She goes along with Batman's assertion of her having been lucky (and she's nearly rolling her eyes when she says it) because she can't tell him that she was there as Barbara Gordon.
    • Add the twice-used Batgirl-Vanishing Trick to her resourcefulness. Hell, the first time the Commissioner and Chief O'Hara should have been looking in her general direction, but they didn't see her leave.
    • She finds the Riddler's hideout via her own resourcefulness. Yeah, she's captured easily...and she escapes just as easily. (A sign of being reduced to single, half-hour episodes...they could have gotten a good scene out of showing how she escaped.)
    • Barbara figures out Riddler's clues easily without Batman's help.
    • Batgirl saves Batman from the magnet. (How does dropping filings at Batman's feet cause his feet to be susceptible to the magnet anyway?)
    • Whatever moves they give her, she's no less effective in the climactic fight than the Dynamic Duo...and she does whack a couple of henchmen with dumbbells, so it's not all kicks.

In the Commissioner's office, Batman wears his stethoscope where his actual ears would be...that's a break with the show's established M.O. of having him put things on his cowl ears.

In her apartment, Babs has an old-fashioned clicker remote control. And the announcer calls her little trick closet the Batgirl-Nook...that's a name that hadn't stuck with me.

The Riddler's secret partner...didn't Dr. McCoy run her over with a car or something last Spring? And there's the Siren cliffhanger that H&I, in its ass-backwards efforts to keep two-parters together, didn't mind putting off the resolution of for three months...!

Thank goodness for IMDb--I was wondering if the Batgirl theme song had been cut for syndication, but it looks like it'll be turning up next week.

_______

Ironside
    "The Leaf in the Forest"

The episode takes its name from what the show's titular character claims is an ancient Persian proverb...
    ...though it's suggested at the end that he'd made it up (which explains the lack of results I got with a Google search while watching).

This episode we get a better look at what I have no choice but to dub the Ironsidemobile, a wheelchair-enabled armored truck with some amenities for the Chief and his colleagues in the back.

There's a bit of clever investigation work in which Ironside zeroes in on the place that all of the strangler's victims could see from their apartments on the basis that somebody there could see all of them. (I saw him use the same method in a later episode that was on in the background during the Decades Binge.) He then has Eve pose as an elderly woman living alone to trap the strangler, who turns out to be the milkman.

I should also note that the show takes place in San Francisco, this being at a point in time when the Summer of Love is just winding up. There's a scene with some folk singers in a park, but it doesn't really scream "hippies" to me. Mark, who's on stakeout outside, is distracted by them when Ironside, watching from another apartment, sees that Eve is in danger of getting attacked, so the Chief throws a lamp out the window to get his attention.

It feels like a bit of a tangent that Ironside takes down the strangler at all, as he was right that the strangler wasn't the killer in the particular case that he was investigating. It turns out that the real killer was the man that he suspected early on, who was running an investment scheme. Ironside exposes him by walking his wife through the circumstances under which he would have persuaded her to give him an alibi, causing her to confess.

I'd given up on pointing out sightings of THE CLOCK, but in this episode it pops up in multiple sets.

_______

TGs2e3.jpg
    "Black, White and Read All Over"
    This time Ann does her own introduction...as with Simon Templar, it's not quite as satisfying that way.

I think that Ann's father is starting to grow on me. I used to hate him in casual viewing because he was such an uncompromising ass to Donald.

It took Ann and Donald 2-1/2 hours to get from Brewster to Manhattan? There must've been quite a bit of traffic. They said 40 minutes in another episode, which is much closer to reality.

"Oh, Donald!" count: 2-4 (two possible "Oh"'s being subvocal/muttered)
    "Oh, Daddy!" count: 5

_______

Tarzan
    "Voice of the Elephant"
    Originally aired September 22, 1967
    OMFG, we actually see the treehouse!!! It's got a pulley elevator and everything! ("Everything" in this case being a cot, a table, and bamboo walls.) It's suggested that this is specifically Jai's place, where he does his homework without direct adult supervision.

The name of the titular baby elephant is Tanto...close to the aforementioned Tantor, and spoken clearly many times in this installment.

TOS guest: Percy Rodrigues, as the tribal chief who lets an innocent pachyderm take a murder rap for him. Fortunately, we have a loincloth-wearing legal expert on the scene...

Cheeta plays a more useful role than usual, serving as a distraction for Jai (and comic relief in the process, of course).

Having no faith in blind justice, Jai frees Tanto and rides the baby elephant into the jungle, which could have made for a good Fugitive Premise if the situation had played out longer.

We get a brief bit of elephant herd footage at one point that teased me into thinking that Tanto's posse was showing up to kick ass and take names. We also get some reused footage of Tarzan from very early episodes--Ron Ely's hair was quite different then.

Overall, this proved to be a more colorful and cohesive episode than the season premiere, and unlike so many other episodes, there's some direct interaction of substance between Jai and Tarzan, rather than them being nearly absent from each other's stories.

_______

Star Trek
    "Who Mourns for Adonais?"
    Stardate 3468.1

See my post here.

_______

Get Smart
    "Viva Smart"
    Originally Aired September 23, 1967
    I just now noticed how each credit in the opening after Adams's name follows Max through the next door.

Batman isn't the only show using big, cheap, fake-looking critters...here we get a big rubber spider. Not exactly the tarantula from Dr. No there....

We get references to Cesar Romero, Ricardo Montalban, Herb Alpert, and Guy Lombardo.

There was nothing particuarly worthwhile for me in this episode. The extremely long "last cigarette" was a half-decent sight gag.

_______

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which were the same location. In the scenes on the "Metron asteroid" in "Arena," the "fortress" construct used for the Cestus III outpost was pretty much right behind the camera. There's a Wild Wild West episode where you can see the famous Vasquez Rocks cliff through the doors of the fortress. Although the fortress had been torn down by the time I visited Vasquez Rocks back in the '90s.

A "leaf in the forest" murder is a term I've seen used in mystery circles for referring to the trope of a killer murdering several people in the manner of a serial killer in order to hide the fact that they were targeting only one victim that they had a clear connection to. This is also known as A.B.C. murders, after the Agatha Christie novel that used the trope. I suppose it's possible the Ironside episode is the trope namer, but it sounds like the premise was different -- instead of a killer committing a bunch of murders to disguise their motive for just one, it's a copycat disguising their single murder as part of an actual serial killer's pattern.

10. The Old Mixer

That was the situation in the episode, yes...but I'd say that it's a variation on the same premise.

When I Google "leaf in a forest murder," the first three results are for the episode, FWIW. And I don't get a general result mentioning the trope.

_______

Dahk Shadows

This week: The final (?) fate of Willie Loomis!

Episode 321
    In a recap of last week's climax, Barnabas tells Willie how he plans to kill Maggie Evans...tonight! (That's what he said three days ago....) Dr. Hoffman comes up from her lab to give Barnabas his injection and talks about how glad she is that he trusts her regarding Maggie's memory.

At the Evans home, Sam points out to Maggie how well-hidden the police outside her window are...it's like they're not even really there! Later, as Maggie falls asleep with a book, Sarah drops in for a visit, during which she threatens to leave if Maggie gets her father...funny, she appeared willingly to Sam before. The little girl makes good on her threat, but not before she tells Maggie that she must get Sarah's doll back from Doc Woodard.

On the Collinwood terrace set, Willie tells Hoffman how Bahnabas plans ta kill Maggie...tonight! The ambiguous doctor acts genuinely disbelieving. So she wasn't being coy, she actually thought that Barnabas trusted her...! :lol:

While Maggie worries that somebody other than Sarah might be able to get into her room, Barnabas stares out the window in her general direction accompanied by another cheesy internal voiceover that sounds distractingly unlike Frid's usual Barnabas delivery.

Episode 322
    Originally aired September 19, 1967
    After recapping his cheesy voiceover, Barnabas goes out for a stroll to kill Maggie (...tonight!), but the commercial gives Hoffman time to intercept him. He tries to lie about his intentions, but this time she senses the deception, so she plays the bluff described in the episode summary. The stymied vampire resorts to staring out his window...while over at the Evans home, Maggie tells her father that she feels like she's being watched.

On the terrace, Hoffman proudly tells Willie of her ruse, and as advertised, he's pretty skeptical about it. Back at the Old House, Barnabas and his internal voiceover debate the truthfulness of Hoffman's ploy. It's almost like watching Gollum! :rofl:Having worked up the nerve to go kill Maggie again, Barnabas is once again stymied, this time by the familiar sound of a flute playing "London Bridge."

Joe visits the Evans home to deliver Sarah's doll to Maggie. Holding the doll gives Maggie a sense of warmth and courage.

At the Collinwood terrace, Willie's getting in on the internal voiceover schtick. He wants to help Maggie, but seemingly convinces himself that it would be futile. Alas, this proved to be his last dialogue...I'd have transcribed it at the time had I known, but now the episode is gone from my deletion bin.

Walking in the bluescreen forest, Sam and Joe decide that Maggie needs to leave town (again). Meanwhile, some speaking extras from Patterson's crack force spot somebody moving in the shadows, and open fire on him just as he approaches Maggie's window. As they report success to the startled Evanses, the audience is left hanging as to who they gunned down.

Episode 323
    Originally aired September 20, 1967
    In commemahration o' Willie Loomis, dis episode is presented in kinescope, see?

Joe tells the shocked Maggie and Sam that it was Willie who was shot...and Sheriff Patterson reports that he's still alive. Under the circumstances, everybody assumes that Willie had been Maggie's kidnapper...even though Maggie herself doesn't believe it. Joe and Sam describe to the sheriff what Willie was like pre-Barnabas. Funny, I seem to recall Patterson being involved when everyone was obsessed with getting Willie out of town.

At the Old House, Barnabas laments over the photograph of Sarah that shouldn't exist. We get a good look at it this time, it's definitely a photo...and you can see a dot pattern that suggests that it's from a printed source like a newspaper. Hoffman drops by just before Patterson comes over to report the shooting of Willie. Barnabas is genuinely shocked, but plays along with the assumption that his servant was Maggie's abductor while pressing the sheriff for information about Willie's chances of survival and/or talking to anybody.

Bluescreen meets kinescope as Patterson shows Barnabas and Hoffman the spot where Willie was shot. They pay a visit to the Evans home, where Barnabas is surprised again to learn of the trap that Willie had fallen into. Hoffman presses the opportunity to confirm in front of Barnabas that Maggie's memory of her abduction remains completely buried. And so Barnabas's attention shifts to Willie's potential survival--He's a little too obvious in once again showing an interest specifically in whether Willie might talk.

Conveniently for Barnabas's role on the show, nobody puts together that if Willie had been Maggie's abductor while he was living and working in the Old House, then Barnabas would likely have been involved as well. In fact, they go out of their way to handwave away the possibility that anyone might even consider it.

At the Old House, a smoking jacket-sporting Barnabas has a lengthy internal monologue (and another that sounds out-of-character) in which he runs through his threats list. Somehow all of this puts his focus back on David. Patterson isn't mentioned. Hell, this episode demonstrates how Patterson couldn't be of more help to Barnabas if he were on the vampire's payroll!

Episode 324
    The opening narration is partially in-character again, referring to the residents of Collinwood as "we."

David wants to go see Sarah, clearly (to us) having to do with his suspicions about Barnabas, but Elizabeth stops him from going out. Hey, when did we see her last? Victoria comes home and reports on Willie's condition.

When David's mind clearly isn't on his schoolwork, Vicki tries to find out what he's so frightened of. When Hoffman returns home, it comes out that David doesn't want to go near the Old House. Later Hoffman has Doc Woodard over, and like Barnabas, she blatantly seeks information about whether Willie will ever be able to talk. She also tries to spin a story about how her investigation was focused on her suspicion of Willie. Woodard expresses skepticism of this, and it doesn't help that she makes a lame excuse to maintain her cover story even though Maggie's abductor has supposedly been revealed and dealt with. Woodard hands her a better cover by postulating that she's interested in Barnabas in a not-purely-professional manner.

In a later conversation with Vicki, Hoffman fishes for information about David's fear of Barnabas. In the other room with his aunt, David outspokenly denies that Willie was Maggie's abductor; makes a ruckus about needing to find Sarah; and freaks out about the eyes in the portrait of Barnabas being "alive."

Episode 325
    I'm running out of cute ways to indicate kinescope episodes.

David goes downstairs in the middle of the night to stare at the portrait of Barnabas and listen to a voiceover flashback...which he responds to as if it's happening, just as Aunt Liz comes in to see it. David retreats to his room to engage in his own internal voiceover. This new ability to basically read the characters' thought balloons is beginning to become a bit of a crutch. Downstairs, Liz and Vicki compare notes about David's behavior. Liz feels that she needs to get Barnabas involved to allay the boy's mysterious fears. Vicki mentions her impending marriage and the house that Burke's buying...remember those story threads?

Barnabas comes by in a timely manner, displaying his full civilized charm in wanting to discuss matters with David openly. It's nice to see him acting a little more smartly by using his best defense against discovery, rather than chomping at the bit to destroy his enemies...tonight! Barnabas opens by expressing regret about his role in harboring Willie.
    No, but he should have known if Willie had somebody locked up in his own basement...nobody comes close to putting those pieces together! The subject shifts to David, with Frid flubbing some lines in the transition. The ladies let Barnabas confront David in his room without supervision. Barnabas starts to get stern and demands to know what secret David is hiding. He directly mentions the secret chamber, but David denies his knowledge of it, even after Barnabas produces the boy's knife. Barnabas then goes directly for wanting to know what Sarah's told her playmate about her brother. As things start to get heated, Vicki comes in to check on things and Barnabas leaves. It's more menacing when he wishes David pleasant dreams face-to-face rather than in cheesy voiceover from afar.

I've been somewhat annoyed by David's role in the show overall, but you have to feel for him in his current situation, with all of the adults supporting the person whom he feels threatened by.

Later, as David's sleeping, he experiences more voiceover flashbacks. The boy then transitions into an effectively freaky dream in which he first encounters a conspicuously shadowed stand-in for Julia, brandishing her hypnotic pocket watch (or was it an amulet?); then David finds Sarah, who relates the brief story of her birth and death. (David's inability to understand the latter part clearly demonstrates that they've swept his previous theory about Sarah's true nature under the rug.) She brings him to a dream version of the Old House basement, where he sees Barnabas rise from his coffin. Dream Barnabas sees and reacts to Sarah, but when David draws attention to himself, he approaches the boy while raising his cane. Clearly, even Dream Barnabas misses having Willie around.

_______

Next week will be the last full week of Dark Shadows episodes that I currently have, though the following week will only be one episode short...at which point I'll have to wait and see what Decades plays for Halloween this year.

_______

11. The Old Mixer

50 Years Ago This Week

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

As my M.O. for incorporating the partial Hot 100 list continues to develop, I've decided that going forward, I'll just track the progress of anything that's destined to break the Top 20 (rather than 25) when it enters the charts (rather than when it breaks the Top 20). So meet something (meh-ish to me) that's already been climbing the charts for a few weeks:

"It Must Be Him," Vikki Carr
    (Charted Sept. 2; #3 US; #1 AC; #2 UK)

New on the Hot 100 this week...

This one likely flew under my radar because of the better-known, higher-charting Carl Carlton cover from 1974. I was inclined to consider adding this original version to my collection, but it looks like all iTunes has is a K-Tel re-recording job:

"Everlasting Love," Robert Knight
    (#13 US; #14 R&B; #40 UK)

I'd skipped this one in my collection because I felt the Mickey & Sylvia version from 1957 was sufficient, and it's a little early for '50s retro for my tastes. Should I consider reconsidering? I'll let YOU decide!

"Love Is Strange," Peaches & Herb
    (#13 US; #16 R&B)

Another throwback--1962 called, it wants its wholesome, clean-cut teen idol sound back:

"Please Love Me Forever," Bobby Vinton
    (#6 US; #39 AC)

And now for the stuff that I've actually got in this busy chart turnover week:

"Rock & Roll Woman," Buffalo Springfield

(#44 US)

"Holiday," Bee Gees

(#16 US)

"(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," Aretha Franklin

(#8 US; #2 R&B)

"The Rain, the Park & Other Things," The Cowsills

(#2 US)

"Incense and Peppermints," Strawberry Alarm Clock

(#1 US the week of Nov. 25)

Meanwhile, new on the album charts this week...Make It Happen by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, which includes a track that some fool didn't think to release as a single until three years later:

"The Tears of a Clown"
    (Charted Oct. 17, 1970; #1 US the weeks of Dec. 12 and 19, 1970; #1 R&B; #1 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
    • The Ed Sullivan Show, Season 20, episode 3, featuring the Mamas & the Papas, Florence Henderson, Ed Ames, John Byner, and Topo Gigio
    • Mission: Impossible, "The Survivors"
    • The Man from U.N.C.L.E., "The 'J' for Judas Affair"
    • The Rat Patrol, "The Trial by Fire Raid"
    • Batman, "The Wail of the Siren"
    • Ironside, "Dead Man's Tale"
    • That Girl, "To Each Her Own"
    • Dark Shadows, episodes 326-330
    • Tarzan, "Thief Catcher"
    • Star Trek, "The Changeling"
    • The Prisoner, "Arrival" (UK series premiere; review dependent upon availability)
    • The Avengers, "Return of the Cybernauts" (UK midseason premiere)
    _______

12. Christopher

Yeah, I noticed that too. I must've seen the term used somewhere, though, otherwise how would I be aware of it? Perhaps I saw it in print. Given how few people read books these days, it's not surprising that a TV result would be more frequently searched for online than a prose result. And a result where the search phrase is in the actual title of the page would naturally be higher in the results than one where it's just a phrase used somewhere in the page text.

Ah, here's something -- TV Tropes to the rescue.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SerialKillingsSpecificTarget

So it's not a Persian proverb, it's from earlier mystery fiction.

13. The Old Mixer

The leaf analogy is...the surrounding proverb was likely made up by Ironside / the episode's writers based on that example.

14. Christopher

Well, there are 56 years between the Father Brown story and the Ironside story. Plenty of time for the term to propagate through mystery literature and go through various permutations.

15. RJDiogenes

Yeah, I noticed that-- and that Muppets sequence this week had some on-screen SFX, too (and was pretty trippy).

The Ed Sullivan episodes we watched this week had a ton of great stuff-- More Stones, Janis Joplin, The Supremes (with Diana Ross' mysterious disappearing earring), Diahann Carroll, Spanky and Our Gang, and a really old episode with Buddy Holly and Same Cooke. And Douglas Fairbanks Jr reciting poetry ("If," by Rudyard Kipling)! There's something you don't see anymore. And Ed Sullivan has a sense of humor: After the Stones performance, he told the audience that they screamed better than last year. :rommie:

The routine was a bit weak, but it included a Geraldine-type character and showcased the charm that would make him a star.

I like the idea of the central conflict being saving an individual elephant's life.

Rat-a-tat-tat! "Hello? Is anyone there?"

I think I must have heard this before. It's okay.

I absolutely love this. I love 60s Bee Gees and a couple of them really have a transportive effect. Ten seconds of this and I'm back on Pleasant Street in Dorchester.

Aretha! This is a 60s classic. :bolian:

I like this one, too. This is the Happy 60s.

And this is the Psychedelic 60s. Another favorite. We're covering the spectrum this week.

16. The Old Mixer

I'm half-watching the non-anniversary episodes while doing other things like checking the boards--the only way to fit in two episodes per weekday and get the ones I'm not saving for anniversary viewing off the DVR--so I saw all of these, but missed the earring thing.

ETA: And Ed totally had a sense of humor. I saw a '50s episode with a comedian who did a perfect Sullivan impersonation. As part of the sketch, Sullivan played the comedian, who was being introduced by "Ed."

I just think it's a hoot that they have a law that gives elephants the right to a fair trial.

And I already know that you like their next major single, which will be coming up in less than two months....

I love that song--a definitive example of the sunshine pop of the era. There was a more colorful performance video of it, but I think it was from an upcoming Sullivan performance, so I'll save it with its original audio for then. (I found one that dubbed over the studio audio, but it included footage of the band when they were older to fill out the time.)

Fun fact: The Cowsills were the inspiration for the Partridge Family.

Psychedelia gone commercial perhaps. I like it, it's a very groovy, sign o' the time song (and one I'm pretty sure I heard on that easy listening station that my mom used to play in the car when I was little in the early '70s), but as psychedelic music goes, there's something a bit "inauthentic" to it...or perhaps "packaged".

So no opinions about the other entries with the text-embedded videos? I was fishing for one about the Peaches & Herb song. And I assumed you'd have kind words for this Smokey offering.

Hopefully most weeks won't be quite so cluttered with entries using the new Hot 100 M.O. Next week certainly won't--It has a news-related video and still room to spare.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  17. Christopher

Makes sense to me. Scientific studies of elephants have provided increasing evidence that they're conscious, sapient beings. They have complex communication and keen memory (that's not a myth), they're highly social (a quality shared by most of the highest intelligences on Earth, save only the cephalopods), they experience a full range of emotion and grieve for their dead. They even take revenge on humans who murder their kind. Cultures that deal closely with elephants have been aware for centuries that they were more than just dumb animals. So the premise you describe is actually highly reasonable.

Plus, of course, even if it weren't true in real life, it would still make sense in the context of the Tarzan universe, where many animal species are treated as having human-level intelligence and possessing their own languages that Tarzan has learned.

18. The Old Mixer

Well, it certainly worked out for this elephant, what with Percy Rodrigues being out to get him and all. He was supposed to be just covering up his own crime, but the way he went about it, you'd think he actually had a grudge against Tanto.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  19. RJDiogenes

My Mother noticed it and it happened in both songs, so it must have been a defective clip on. We watched the second time over and over, but couldn't see where it went-- suddenly it was just gone. It must have gotten stuck in her hair or went down the back of her dress.

That would make a great themed DVD: The Comedy Stylings of Ed Sullivan. :rommie:

Yeah, that's fantastic. I love elephants (as you might have guessed, if you ever clicked on any of the links in my sig).

Oh, yeah. :mallory:

Really? I never had that impression. I love the poetry of the lyrics.

Oops. I must have deleted that in the quoted post. I was starting to rush because I was running late. And I have to go into the office today, so I'm running late again. I'll reply tomorrow, or maybe stop by tonight if I can.

20. The Old Mixer

All of this talk of elephants reminds me that I saw a trained one on one of the Sullivans last week. Hope you caught it. He was pretty impressive (and cute).