The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Operation Orchid, which involves a moldable plastic that explodes on impact when hardened.
That seems like a step backward in the field of plastic explosives.

Parsons mentions a 25-pound shipment of it having been lost in the Pacific...which Gilligan finds in the lagoon.
The island is at the center of some sort of vortex that draws everything in.

(He brought fencing gear but not his clubs?)
He probably wore them out by now. :rommie:

(In the Professor's bamboo dentist's chair, Gilligan has to pedal-power the drill being used on him!)
You'd think the Skipper would have been eager to volunteer. :rommie:

IMDb identifies as Jocko the Monkey potentially reprising his role as Igor
Dr Balinkoff returned to the island only to be done in by the giant spider. Now Igor is free. Free!

the Professor tries to think of a way to get the fillings out of Gilligan
The fillings were actually a clever idea to up the ante of a mildly perilous situation.

the first mate has to be careful about what he eats and how...
Banana porridge only!

a mishap with his hut-brewed anesthetic puts out him and assisting Ginger instead.
Nice. :rommie:

nobody thought to just toss them into the lagoon
Dynamite fishing. Good idea. :rommie:

but sneezes, causing his fillings to blow out and explode without harming him or the monkey.
I shudder to think....

a regular ceramic plate (something that the castaways supposedly didn't have before the plastic).
A new shipment washed up.

FWIW, when Gilligan finds the box, the Skipper does mention sundry junk having washed up on the island before, which could explain some of the castaways' belongings.
Aha. Great minds think alike. And so do ours.

No teaser or in-shot logo for this one.
I wonder what was up with this teaser business. Was it a general change in format for the network or what? I forget if all comedies around that time had teasers.

(I asked for Emily Banks and I got Stanley Adams).
Remember to click "No Substitutions."

the Howells don't appreciate his heroic effort.
Gilligan's had a few heroic moments the last few episodes.

the castaways dress up all the women in gowns to present them as white goddesses; then they learn that the goddess is meant to be sacrificed to a volcano.
The Professor should have known this!

The Professor comes up with a vague plan to have one of the men pose as a white goddess candidate for reasons, hoping to ultimately spot the ship.
I see that the Skipper is covering his belly button.

Howell looks kinda like one of the Stones. :lol:
Then or now? :rommie:

a proposal to take "Giliana" for himself and throw a dummy in the volcano instead.
The king is a heretic!

This includes the girls doing a song and dance in USO costumes
I wonder if all this stuff just falls overboard or if the ships actually sink. How many men died to keep Gilligan's Island well supplied?

the king thinks that the goddess has vanished and he and his henchmen, fearing the wrath of the gods, hurry off the island...
That's three local tribes who now live in terror of Gilligan, just in the last handful of episodes. I wonder what the overall total is.

The series goes out on an appropriate enough note...
We'll no longer be joining them each week....

Actually, I think the UH might have come up when we were discussing bald Blofeld Howell appearing in the spy spoof before the debut of bald Blofeld; though Mary Ann with the Professor's brain was probably cross-referenced.
Ah, yes, the Bald Villain Paradox.

They were teaching us about it in elementary school by about that grade, roughly eight years later.
Remembering various conversations, it occurred to me years later that good old Miss Biggs was a Creationist-- although I don't think that word existed yet.

More recent geologic theory seems to be that everything came to Earth from space...water, life, you name it. Like Plot Devices of the Week washing up in the lagoon.
Well, everything coalesced from the cloud, so it's just a question of details-- like was water there from the start or was it delivered by comets later on. But I'm not sold on the panspermia thing by a long shot.

There was a reference in one of the recent episodes of the island being approximately 300 miles southwest of Hawaii; which is consistent with other range references, like the 150-mile orbit implicitly being closer, and Hawaii being within the range of the jetpack.
I saw this story in the news yesterday and made me think of the SOS episode. This island is thousands of miles from Hawaii, but it's still a cute story (with a happy ending).

Best recognized to me as the voice of Winnie the Pooh.
Oh, yeah, I kind of know that, although I didn't really watch Winnie the Pooh.

You are not.
Good. My imagination sometimes creates Mandela Effects. :rommie:

:rommie:

I should note that while the episode description spoiled it for us, Burt being a convict was apparently meant to be a comic reveal at the end.
I do remember him being in an ambiguous kind of location until that guard showed up. I have no idea how I reacted when I first saw it.

Super Groovy!

"Who's Johnny" is the unofficial theme song for the hit 1986 comedy "Short Circuit", starring Ally Sheedy and Steve Guttenberg. It was written and recorded by American artist Eldra "El" DeBarge, and reached #1 on the Canada Top 100. Personally, I have loved it since my childhood, and I hope you do, too. Check it out - "Number Five Alive!" :)
I do remember that one, although I didn't know it was connected to Short Circuit.

"Who's Johnny" is the unofficial theme song for the hit 1986 comedy "Short Circuit", starring Ally Sheedy and Steve Guttenberg. It was written and recorded by American artist Eldra "El" DeBarge, and reached #1 on the Canada Top 100. Personally, I have loved it since my childhood, and I hope you do, too. Check it out - "Number Five Alive!" :)

You should have used the music video version. Stephanie Speck, Johnny Five's hand, and a cardboard version of Newton Crosby are all in it! ;)

_______

Post-50th Anniversary Viewing

_______

The Mod Squad
"The Long Road Home"
Originally aired September 22, 1970
Season 3 premiere
Wiki said:
Pete falls in love with a young woman he has injured in an auto chase involving a robbery suspect, only to learn she is the sister of the suspect.

The "Finish Mod Squad or Bust!" portion of our hiatus season viewing commences with the first of a few episodes that weren't available when I was covering Season 3 last year.

The Mods and Greer are staking out a warehouse where they expect some burglars when they hear shots being fired. It's uniformed CLE backup in the process of apprehending one suspect (Bruce Watson), following which Pete and Julie chase down another one who makes a getaway on a bike. But a woman walking a German shepherd (Anjanette Comer) steps out of the shadows at an alley exit and Pete can't avoid swiping her.
Mod53.jpg
That's a good boy!

The pooch is left tied outside the hospital where Pete takes the girl. The surgeon (S. John Launer) informs Greer and the Mods that she's currently paralyzed below the waist, though it may only be temporary, while Linc and Julie try to console an anguished Pete, who takes Pooch Doe back to his pad.
Mod54.jpg
Against Greer's advice that he avoid contact pending a review board, Pete goes to see the girl when she's conscious, claiming only to be a concerned bystander. Billie's a country girl new to the city who's upset about her condition, and Pete learns that his new roomie is King Arthur. Outside the hospital, a shady character in a car (Lou Antonio) reacts when he sees Pete leaving with Arthur. Pete proceeds to police HQ, where Greer has been interrogating the captured burglar, Georgie Johns, a country boy who has a record in a number of states going back to Tennessee. Outside, we see that Antonio's character has tailed Pete.

Billie's legs start responding to stimulus and Pete spends time with her on the solarium, where she tells him about her deceased parents and a brother whom she claims to be estranged from, Case. Pete watches as she begins therapy (under a doctor played by former Neutral Zone outpost commander Garry Walberg, better known to us as Speed from The Odd Couple) and takes an interest in helping her pay her medical bills, having asked Linc to spot him $500. Meanwhile, Georgie has gotten out on bail. As Pete's leaving the hospital, Billie gets a visit from Case (also Lou Antonio, who does a better country accent than I would've expected), who informs her that Pete's a cop and the one who ran her down; then tries to enlist her help in using her relationship with Pete to help them case potential jobs.

Outside the hospital, Linc and Julie inform Pete that Billie has a record for petty theft in Nashville; that Billie's brother is an associate of Georgie, also from Nashville; and that they suspect Billie was in the vicinity to case the warehouse for the burglars. This doesn't stop Pete from taking Billie, now out on crutches, and Arthur on a picnic at Lake Mayberry on Miramanee's planet, where Billie sings a haunting song while playing guitar, turning the scene into a montage of multiple visits in which she regains her ability to walk.
Mod55.jpg
After Pete drops her off at home from one of their outings, Case--desperate for getting-out-of-town money--leans on Billie to stop picnicking and get to work.

Greer plays the same game with Pete, wanting him to use Billie to help them nab Case and Georgie, whom Stakeout Linc has determined she's living with. Pete drops by Billie's place and Case and Georgie listen from the next room as he confesses that he's a cop and the one who ran her down. As Pete's leaving, he drops a brief infodump about a shipment of furs he's supposed to be watching. When the coast is clear, Case strongarms Billie into serving as their driver when he and Georgie hijack the van delivering the furs from the airport. When the job goes down, the van's driver turns out to be Linc, and Greer and Pete are tailing the van. When Linc stops the van in a back parking lot and opens the back, its cargo turns out to be a pair of uniformed CLE. A firefight ensues in the midst of which Linc's stunt double takes down Georgie without needing to employ his signature move. When Billie tries to get to Pete, she's caught in the crossfire, hit by a bullet that Case meant for Greer. While Case is being apprehended, Pete and Billie exchange some parting words before she passes, her song replaying over the scene as Pete cries over her.

The song continues to play over the coda, in which Pete and Arthur revisit the lake sans Billie.
Mod57.jpg
When Linc and Julie come by to support him, Pete tells them that he's found a home for Arthur with a neighbor kid (Damn series status quo!), following which Linc and Julie walk off.
Mod56.jpg

I'm guessing that King Arthur is the same stunt-pooch who plays the heroic but ill-fated Bravo in the Season 4 episode "Survival". IMDb informs me that Billie's song, "Sweet Child," was penned by episode writer Edward J. Lasko, and would be repurposed for an episode of Charlie's Angels.

_______

Banana porridge only!
Actually, a softened sea-food mix that Gilligan described as "fish mash".

Dynamite fishing. Good idea. :rommie:
The better to make fish mash.

Aha. Great minds think alike. And so do ours.
:D

I wonder what was up with this teaser business. Was it a general change in format for the network or what? I forget if all comedies around that time had teasers.
IIRC from last year's viewing, they started doing the teasers with the logo over the first shot somewhere mid-season; so it's possible that this one was a leftover that aired late.

Remember to click "No Substitutions."
I have some online grocery shopping substitution stories I could tell, if only I could remember them. The thing that really used to bewilder me was the bagging. They stuffed all those unlike items together in that bag, and this one only has one little thing in it...?

The Professor should have known this!
You'd think.

I see that the Skipper is covering his belly button.
:lol:

Then or now? :rommie:
Somewhere in between...late '80s / early '90s Bill Wyman, I think.

The king is a heretic!
Not to mention a horndog.

I wonder if all this stuff just falls overboard or if the ships actually sink. How many men died to keep Gilligan's Island well supplied?
If I made a reference to Bothans, would you Cap that?

That's three local tribes who now live in terror of Gilligan, just in the last handful of episodes. I wonder what the overall total is.
It's like a nexus of everything but rescue parties.

We'll no longer be joining them each week....
But the reunion movie is only four-and-a-half years away in 50th Anniversaryland.

I saw this story in the news yesterday and made me think of the SOS episode. This island is thousands of miles from Hawaii, but it's still a cute story (with a happy ending).
It's so much easier to get rescued in the real world...

Super Groovy!
Solid.

Last edited:
"The Long Road Home"
Home where? Did the title writer not watch the episode? :rommie:

It's uniformed CLE backup in the process of apprehending one suspect
Was this the plan or did the CLE blow the stakeout?

The pooch is left tied outside the hospital where Pete takes the girl.... Linc and Julie try to console an anguished Pete, who takes Pooch Doe back to his pad.
Once again, the Mods show immunity to normal policies and procedures... which, I suppose, is appropriate for Counterculture Heroes.

Pete learns that his new roomie is King Arthur.
"Hi, you don't know me but I'm a witness to your crippling accident and I stole your dog and now I'm stalking you in the hospital."

Georgie Johns, a country boy who has a record in a number of states going back to Tennessee.
A country boy who wants to trade his farmin' tools for diamonds and jewels!

takes an interest in helping her pay her medical bills
She was injured by an on-duty cop in the pursuance of his duties-- wouldn't they be paying?

they suspect Billie was in the vicinity to case the warehouse for the burglars.
Did this turn out to be true? It would be quite a coincidence if she wasnt.

a picnic at Lake Mayberry on Miramanee's planet
I feel like I'm in Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.
loopy.gif

Billie sings a haunting song while playing guitar, turning the scene into a montage of multiple visits in which she regains her ability to walk.
Time passes with no plot developments....

Case--desperate for getting-out-of-town money--leans on Billie to stop picnicking and get to work.
"We need plot developments!"

Linc's stunt double takes down Georgie without needing to employ his signature move.
Not much of a country boy after all.

Pete and Billie exchange some parting words before she passes, her song replaying over the scene as Pete cries over her.
She died? Gosh, Pete must have really loved her. :(

Pete tells them that he's found a home for Arthur with a neighbor kid (Damn series status quo!)
Would have been cool, especially if he got in on the action every week. "King Arthur-- attack!"

IMDb informs me that Billie's song, "Sweet Child," was penned by episode writer Edward J. Lasko, and would be repurposed for an episode of Charlie's Angels.
Ack! I think he wrote just about every episode of Charlie's Angels from the third season on, which was one of the primary reasons for its growing mediocrity.

The better to make fish mash.

I have some online grocery shopping substitution stories I could tell, if only I could remember them. The thing that really used to bewilder me was the bagging. They stuffed all those unlike items together in that bag, and this one only has one little thing in it...?
You've had bad luck with online grocery shopping? I've only used a couple of places-- Whole Foods for my late friend in California after she couldn't get out anymore, and Roche Brothers for my Mother-- and 99% of the time they were both very good.

Somewhere in between...late '80s / early '90s Bill Wyman, I think.
Whoa, it's true. :rommie:

Not to mention a horndog.
How could he resist a cutie like Gilligan?

If I made a reference to Bothans, would you Cap that?
Hmm, I don't think so....

It's like a nexus of everything but rescue parties.
"Here Be Hostile Tribes."

But the reunion movie is only four-and-a-half years away in 50th Anniversaryland.
Wow, is that all? I would have guessed longer than that.

It's so much easier to get rescued in the real world...
Thank goodness. That atoll was nowhere near as tricked out as Gilligan's island.

50 Years Ago This Week

April 15

April 16
  • In the U.S., a federal law took effect requiring that nearly all prescription medicines from pharmacies would be distributed in bottles with "child-proof" caps. The law made exceptions, including for medicines that needed to be used quickly. The legislation followed reports of accidents involving children opening household packaging and ingesting the contents.
  • The British rock band Queen played their first concert in the United States, appearing at the auditorium at Regis University in Denver.

April 17
  • A group of rebels in the Egyptian military, including 16 cadets, attacked the Technical Military Academy in Cairo, killing 11 people and wounding 27 others as part of an alleged plot, financed by Libya, to overthrow President Anwar Sadat. Although the Egyptian government initially described reports about the incident as false, 75 members of the military would be arrested over the next 10 days, including the alleged leader, Dr. Saleh Abdullah Sariya of the Islamic Liberation Organization.
  • Frank McGee, 52, American TV journalist and co-host of the NBC Today show since 1971, died of multiple myeloma six days after his last newscast.
  • Vinnie Taylor (stage name for Christopher H. Donald), 25, guitarist for the group Sha Na Na, was found in a motel at Charlottesville, Virginia, dead of an accidental heroin overdose, two days after a concert at the University of Virginia.

April 18
  • In response to the Zebra murders that had claimed 14 lives in California since October 20, San Francisco Mayor Joseph Alioto and the San Francisco City Police instituted "Operation Zebra", stopping African-American men throughout the city for interrogations and the recording of identifying information. Over the next six days, 567 black men were stopped and 181 interrogated without yielding any information helpful to finding the Zebra murderers. U.S. District Judge Alfonso Zirpoli ruled that stopping suspects without probable cause was unconstitutional.
  • U.S. District Judge John J. Sirica ordered President Nixon to release 64 specific tape recordings that had been subpoenaed by the Watergate special prosecutor, Leon Jaworski, and to do so by May 2. The White House declined to comment on whether it would comply with the order.

April 19
  • TMI-1, the first of three units of the Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in the U.S., came online and would begin supplying electrical power on September 2. The second unit, TMI-2, would begin operating in late 1978 but become involved in a nuclear accident on March 28, 1979.

April 20
  • French archaeologist Françoise Claustre was taken hostage by rebels led by future Chadian president Hissène Habré in the north African nation of Chad, at the town of Bardaï, beginning an ordeal that would last almost three years. Captured with her was Dr. Christophe Staewen of West Germany (who would be released on June 11 following payment of a ransom), and Frenchman Marc Combe, who would escape his captors. Françoise's husband Pierre would be captured by the same rebels 16 months later while trying to negotiate his wife's release. The two would finally be released on February 1, 1977.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)," MFSB feat. The Three Degrees
2. "Bennie and the Jets," Elton John
3. "Hooked on a Feeling," Blue Swede
4. "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me," Gladys Knight & The Pips
5. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
6. "Oh, My My," Ringo Starr
7. "Sunshine on My Shoulders," John Denver
8. "The Loco-Motion," Grand Funk
9. "The Lord's Prayer," Sister Janet Mead
10. "I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song," Jim Croce
11. "Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack
12. "A Very Special Love Song," Charlie Rich
13. "Dancing Machine," Jackson 5
14. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
15. "Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient
16. "Tubular Bells," Mike Oldfield
17. "Keep On Singing," Helen Reddy
18. "Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor
19. "The Show Must Go On," Three Dog Night
20. "(I've Been) Searchin' So Long," Chicago

22. "My Mistake (Was to Love You)," Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye
23. "Touch a Hand, Make a Friend," The Staple Singers
24. "Let It Ride," Bachman-Turner Overdrive
25. "Piano Man," Billy Joel
26. "Dark Lady," Cher
27. "Jet," Paul McCartney & Wings
28. "Midnight at the Oasis," Maria Muldaur
29. "You Make Me Feel Brand New," The Stylistics
30. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades
31. "The Entertainer," Music from "The Sting" feat. Marvin Hamlisch on Piano

33. "Help Me," Joni Mitchell
34. "The Payback, Pt. 1," James Brown

36. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
37. "Oh Very Young," Cat Stevens

40. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks
41. "Mighty Love, Pt. 1," The Spinners
42. "Rock On," David Essex
43. "There Won't Be Anymore," Charlie Rich
44. "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing," Stevie Wonder
45. "Mighty Mighty," Earth, Wind & Fire

47. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand

49. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
50. "I Won't Last a Day Without You," Carpenters
51. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier

54. "The Streak," Ray Stevens
55. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
56. "I'm in Love," Aretha Franklin

59. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock," Bill Haley & His Comets

66. "For the Love of Money," The O'Jays

68. "Band on the Run," Paul McCartney & Wings

70. "One Hell of a Woman," Mac Davis

73. "Sundown," Gordon Lightfoot
74. "My Girl Bill," Jim Stafford

77. "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)," Olivia Newton-John

83. "You Won't See Me," Anne Murray
84. "La Grange," ZZ Top

87. "Hollywood Swinging," Kool & The Gang

90. "Billy, Don't Be a Hero," Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods

95. "Another Park, Another Sunday," The Doobie Brothers

98. "The Air That I Breathe," The Hollies

Leaving the chart:
  • "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung (15 weeks)
  • "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford (23 weeks)
  • "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin (21 weeks)

New on the chart:

"You Won't See Me," Anne Murray
(#8 US; #1 AC; written by John Lennon & Paul McCartney, originally recorded by the Beatles on Rubber Soul)

"The Air That I Breathe," The Hollies
(#6 US; #3 AC; #2 UK)

"Hollywood Swinging," Kool & The Gang
(#6 US; #1 R&B; #52 UK)

"Band on the Run," Paul McCartney & Wings
(#1 US the week of June 8, 1974; #22 AC; #3 UK)

"Billy, Don't Be a Hero," Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
(#1 US the weeks of June 15 and 22, 1974; #20 AC)

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month.

_______

Home where? Did the title writer not watch the episode? :rommie:
I think it was meant to reference Case's motivation to get out of L.A., though Billie may have expressed a longing for home, too; and it may have applied to her in a metaphorical sense as well. But yeah, the significance wasn't especially clear. But keep in mind that the episode titles aren't shown onscreen.

Was this the plan or did the CLE blow the stakeout?
It was the plan for them to arrive, but not to be spotted.

Once again, the Mods show immunity to normal policies and procedures... which, I suppose, is appropriate for Counterculture Heroes.
I guess it comes with the secret identities, at least in the Spellingverse.

"Hi, you don't know me but I'm a witness to your crippling accident and I stole your dog and now I'm stalking you in the hospital."
Cynical...are you sure you're not a Gen Xer?

A country boy who wants to trade his farmin' tools for diamonds and jewels!
Had to look that one up.

She was injured by an on-duty cop in the pursuance of his duties-- wouldn't they be paying?
That's where Greer's review board would come in...he was concerned with not taking liability, dubiously asserting that Pete running into her was really Case's fault.

Did this turn out to be true? It would be quite a coincidence if she wasnt.
Yeah; they determined that she lived 14 blocks from where she just happened to be walking the Once and Future Pooch.

I feel like I'm in Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.
loopy.gif
If only Pete and Billie had run into the Bradys camping there...hilarity between Alice and Arthur could have ensued. Say, watch out for that family, Artie...we don't know what happened to Tiger.

Time passes with no plot developments....
Love, love, looooovvve!

"We need plot developments!"
Even Case wasn't completely irredeemable.

She died? Gosh, Pete must have really loved her. :(
Yeah, it took me by surprise because dramatically it didn't seem like she was in deep enough to warrant such a fate. But Michael Cole got to act his little heart out.
Mod58.jpg

Would have been cool, especially if he got in on the action every week. "King Arthur-- attack!"
Three barks = "For Camelot!"

Ack! I think he wrote just about every episode of Charlie's Angels from the third season on, which was one of the primary reasons for its growing mediocrity.
And it was Season 4.

You've had bad luck with online grocery shopping? I've only used a couple of places-- Whole Foods for my late friend in California after she couldn't get out anymore, and Roche Brothers for my Mother-- and 99% of the time they were both very good.
It was ordering at a grocery chain for curbside pickup. Just started going back in the store the middle of last year.

Hmm, I don't think so....
Return of the jedi- the rebel briefing - YouTube

Wow, is that all? I would have guessed longer than that.
Keep in mind that I was finishing GI as very belated 55th anniversary business. If I'd been watching it as on-schedule 50th anniversary business, I would have been on Season 3 seven years back during my actual first TV season of immersive retro viewing, concurrent with the first seasons of Star Trek and M:I and the entire run of The Green Hornet.

As it happens, watching GI at this point roughly coincides 50th anniversary-wise with my first-hand viewing experience in weekday afternoon syndication.

Last edited:
Kidnapping victim Patricia Hearst, who had recently announced that she was joining the Symbionese Liberation Army that had been her captors for two months, turned to crime and aided in a bank robbery.
The creepy feeling I got from this as a kid still lingers.

In the U.S., a federal law took effect requiring that nearly all prescription medicines from pharmacies would be distributed in bottles with "child-proof" caps.
Which turned out to be more elderly proof than childproof. "Ricky, can you help me with my pills, please?"

French archaeologist Françoise Claustre was taken hostage by rebels led by future Chadian president Hissène Habré in the north African nation of Chad
Notably, she did not change her name and rob banks.

"You Won't See Me," Anne Murray
This is enjoyable.

"The Air That I Breathe," The Hollies
I love this one.

"Hollywood Swinging," Kool & The Gang
I don't remember this. Kinda forgettable.

"Band on the Run," Paul McCartney & Wings
Classic Epic Rock'n'Roll.

"Billy, Don't Be a Hero," Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
One of the reasons the space aliens avoid us.

But keep in mind that the episode titles aren't shown onscreen.
If they were required to show the titles, maybe they wouldn't be so lazy about them!

Cynical...are you sure you're not a Gen Xer?
I thought it sounded kind of Millennial when I wrote it, but I went for the joke. :rommie:

Had to look that one up.
I know we've had John Denver around recently, but I guess it wasn't that one. :rommie:

That's where Greer's review board would come in...he was concerned with not taking liability, dubiously asserting that Pete running into her was really Case's fault.
I don't think anybody was at fault, but you'd think that with an officer involved that she would be in the equivalent of police custody. But who knows?

Yeah; they determined that she lived 14 blocks from where she just happened to be walking the Once and Future Pooch.
That's what I figured.

If only Pete and Billie had run into the Bradys camping there...hilarity between Alice and Arthur could have ensued. Say, watch out for that family, Artie...we don't know what happened to Tiger.
It's a Crisis on Infinite TV Shows. :rommie:

Love, love, looooovvve!

Even Case wasn't completely irredeemable.
They did do some shooting, but mostly they were just thieves.

Yeah, it took me by surprise because dramatically it didn't seem like she was in deep enough to warrant such a fate.
That's what I thought. It didn't feel earned.

But Michael Cole got to act his little heart out.
He deserved a better writer.

Three barks = "For Camelot!"

And it was Season 4.
The Tiffany season. Bad, bad.

It was ordering at a grocery chain for curbside pickup. Just started going back in the store the middle of last year.
My Mother just decided that she prefers doing it that way, so every Saturday morning I go down and order groceries for her. :rommie:

Oh, yeah, I do remember that, but I never would have thought of it.

Keep in mind that I was finishing GI as very belated 55th anniversary business. If I'd been watching it as on-schedule 50th anniversary business, I would have been on Season 3 seven years back during my actual first TV season of immersive retro viewing, concurrent with the first seasons of Star Trek and M:I and the entire run of The Green Hornet.
Time-Tunnel-1.gif

Vinnie Taylor (stage name for Christopher H. Donald), 25, guitarist for the group Sha Na Na, was found in a motel at Charlottesville, Virginia, dead of an accidental heroin overdose, two days after a concert at the University of Virginia.

He's the guitarist in glasses.

I have vague memories of their variety show that aired in syndication in the late 70s/early 80s.

Last edited:
_______

_______

The Mod Squad
"A Time of Hyacinths"
Originally aired December 1, 1970
Edited Wiki said:
Julie becomes involved with a mysterious stranger (Vincent Price), whom she believes was a movie actor who died twenty years earlier.

A Julie episode with Vincent Price--Is it the end of October or the beginning of April? And per the usual M.O., when Julie gets an episode focused on her, she's off duty. What's really rich is that she's on medical rest leave to unwind from the tensions of the job that we practically never see her doing! :guffaw: The other Mods help move her into a really nifty Malibu beach house that she's renting from its caretaker, which Pete objects is too isolated. As Julie's settling in by channel surfing with a clicker remote, she comes upon a black-and-white movie featuring Vincent Price as the villain (1951's His Kind of Woman, with a cast that also includes Jim Backus, though we don't see him here). Waking up amidst a dark and stormy night and a power failure, Julie gets a hang-up phone call, and is them startled by a surprise visitor on the deck...
Mod59.jpg

He introduces himself as John Wells and explains that he's a neighbor who borrows firewood from the caretaker, Castor. He eases Julie with his charming manner and tells her that if she needs anything, she can ring the ship's bell on the porch, which he'll hear. The next day she drops by his house to find him not there and is followed in by the taciturn Castor (Charles McGraw), who's been busily engaged in painting and seems to be keeping an eye on her. She subsequently rings the bell and John appears on the beach with freshly caught fish. They have dinner at her place that night, and the next day he shows her a rock formation that's his favorite spot on the beach, while also mentioning some nearby caves. At an evening campfire, Julie expresses the serenity that she's found since she arrived, and John directly references the episode title when quoting from an Oriental poem about the ability of the flower in question to restore the soul. After he cryptically mentions how her companionship has helped give him the strength to do what he's come back to do, she tells him that her friends will be visiting the next day, and he becomes upset to learn that she's told them about him. The next day she tries to make an excuse to discourage the guys from coming, and John doesn't come when she rings the bell, so she goes out to the rocks to see him making his way out to the furthest ones, where she sees him seemingly disappear under a crashing wave. She limits herself to running out on some rocks in a shallow spot, clearly not being a heroic sea rescuer like Gilligan.

The beach patrol is unable to find a body, and when Julie takes Greer and the guys to Wells's home, it's suddenly emptied of furniture and looks like it's been deserted for some time. As the guys are starting to look concerned about her psychological well-being, she goes to Castor to back her up, but he claims that the house was empty when she visited it and not to have seen her with John...even producing a sketch he made when she was on the beach with John, which shows only her. She insists on staying until John is found, and the guys insist on staying with her. As Linc's channel surfing, he comes upon the same movie, which includes Price's character quoting the poem about hyacinths just as John did with Julie. (I get the impression that this bit was dubbed in and not part of the original film, as the TV is offscreen during it.) Julie comes in from the next room and recognizes the actor in the film as John. Back at HQ, the actor is identified as John Wentworth, a '40s star who's supposed to have died in a boat explosion in 1951...!
Mod60.jpg

Julie's unable to provide practical details about John's activities, but we get some exposition about how Wentworth has a daughter as Wells said he did--Diana Wentworth, now a rising star who's about to marry industrialist Howard Haines, an old friend of John Wentworth's who owns the beach house that Julie rented. Julie's taken back to her pad where she's given a sedative by an uncredited shrink. While in her drugged-up state, she gets a call from John, who apologizes for the spot he's put her in, but talks about having to help a she that he loves very much and says is in danger, and ends the conversation with a supportive reference to the titular blossoms. Julie calls the movie studio to arrange a meeting with Diana and Howard (Cynthia Hull and C-57D medical officer Warren Stevens), where she tries to convince Diana that her father is still alive, though her credibility is strained by her trouble staying on her feet. When she sees a painting of the rocks on the beach in Diana's dressing room, with a distinctive path of rocks leading back to the area where John went, she splits, having realized where he's hiding. (Believe it or not, she's actually driving in her condition!) After Julie leaves, Howard gets a call from John, who says something that only Wentworth would know to prove who he is and threatens to go to the police if Haines doesn't get out of Diana's life. Eyeing the painting that Julie took interest in, Howard arms himself and makes a parting excuse to Diana.

Julie heads back to the spot and follows the trail in the painting to find the cave where John has been laying low. (Hiding out in caves must be in Price's contract.) He explains to Julie how, when he was an aspiring young actor, he witnessed Howard killing his mistress and allowed Haines to buy his silence by backing Wentworth's rise to stardom, Haines having owned a studio at the time. When John's conscience finally compelled him to threaten to go to the police, Howard threatened to harm his wife and baby daughter, so he faked his death and left the country with Castor's help. Haines walks in, having arrived in Julie's wake, recognizing the cave as a location where they'd shot a scene in one of John's films. John smashes his lantern and a struggle ensues over Haines's gun. Julie runs out for help to find that the guys have followed her, and they watch as Haines stumbles out of the cave, still holding his gun but sporting a head wound, and collapses, giving Linc's stunt double a week off. Julie runs back into the cave to find that John has split.

Julie returns to the beach house and fishes for information regarding John's fate from Castor, who's working on another painting of the rocks that he lets her have. Castor walks off and the male Mods walk up to join Julie, accompanied by a voiceover of Price reciting the poem.

_______

Which turned out to be more elderly proof than childproof. "Ricky, can you help me with my pills, please?"
:D

This is enjoyable.
I didn't already have it but am planning to get it.

I love this one.
A distinctive bit of period business and the band's last hurrah hit single-wise.

I don't remember this. Kinda forgettable.
I can remember how it goes, but it's enjoyable when it's playing.

Classic Epic Rock'n'Roll.
This track opening the album always had a sort of cinematic quality to me, like it was the soundtrack for an unmade film. While the commercially available single was apparently the full-length track, would you believe that a radio edit was released as a promo single? This is the guy who brought us "Hey Jude"!

One of the reasons the space aliens avoid us.
:lol: And I actually already had this one! It mainly sticks out in my head as the subject of an oddly off-chronology reference on Friends, in which Ross, then a recent divorcee, implies that he hasn't dated since "Billy, Don't Be a Hero" was a current song. David Schwimmer would have been turning 8 in 1974, and Ross was supposed to have been a college student in the late '80s.

If they were required to show the titles, maybe they wouldn't be so lazy about them!
They clearly put a lot of effort into the title for the episode above.

I know we've had John Denver around recently, but I guess it wasn't that one. :rommie:
Nope, that one's still to come.

I don't think anybody was at fault, but you'd think that with an officer involved that she would be in the equivalent of police custody. But who knows?
As far as they knew at the time, she was just an innocent bystander. She wasn't a suspect or a witness to a crime.

The Tiffany season. Bad, bad.
I didn't watch the show regularly after Farrah left, having had an early childhood fixation with her.

That one, too!

The one performance I've seen him in outside of 'The Mod Squad' is the 1971 made-for-tv movie 'The Last Child', and he's adequate in it. It was produced by Aaron Spelling, so maybe it was meant as a showcase for Michael Cole.
I've never heard of that one.

"A Time of Hyacinths"
Now that's more like it.

A Julie episode with Vincent Price--Is it the end of October or the beginning of April?
Yeah, that's unfortunate timing.

What's really rich is that she's on medical rest leave to unwind from the tensions of the job that we practically never see her doing! :guffaw:
The adventures of Julie are so epic and bombastic that they cannot be told on a TV budget. We only get to see the aftermath. Someday, when AI is up to the task, we'll be gifted with Untold Tales of the Mod Squad.

which Pete objects is too isolated.
That's the point, Pete.

(1951's His Kind of Woman, with a cast that also includes Jim Backus, though we don't see him here).
I don't think I'm familiar with that one, either.

He eases Julie with his charming manner
Words cannot express the coolness of Vincent Price. :rommie:

the next day he shows her a rock formation that's his favorite spot on the beach, while also mentioning some nearby caves.
Noted. :rommie:

she tells him that her friends will be visiting the next day, and he becomes upset to learn that she's told them about him.
Uh oh. :rommie:

She limits herself to running out on some rocks in a shallow spot, clearly not being a heroic sea rescuer like Gilligan.
She's very tired. :rommie:

The beach patrol is unable to find a body
And despite being local law enforcement, they are unaware of the caves.

when Julie takes Greer and the guys to Wells's home, it's suddenly emptied of furniture and looks like it's been deserted for some time.
Spooky!

As the guys are starting to look concerned about her psychological well-being
Just now?

she goes to Castor to back her up, but he claims that the house was empty when she visited it and not to have seen her with John...even producing a sketch he made when she was on the beach with John, which shows only her.
Spooky!

As Linc's channel surfing, he comes upon the same movie
That's a remarkable coincidence.

(I get the impression that this bit was dubbed in and not part of the original film, as the TV is offscreen during it.)
Seems likely, unless the movie inspired the plot.

who's about to marry industrialist Howard Haines
Seems to be invoking Howard Hughes, I think.

an old friend of John Wentworth's who owns the beach house that Julie rented.
Which seems to have no significance to the plot whatsoever. :rommie:

Julie's taken back to her pad where she's given a sedative by an uncredited shrink.
Possibly unlicensed, as well.

While in her drugged-up state, she gets a call from John, who apologizes for the spot he's put her in
It's not really much of a spot when you think about it.

where she tries to convince Diana that her father is still alive
She's really just being a buttinski at this point.

(Believe it or not, she's actually driving in her condition!)
She has to, she can't walk.

Howard gets a call from John, who says something that only Wentworth would know to prove who he is and threatens to go to the police if Haines doesn't get out of Diana's life.
Considering the massive age difference here, are we to assume that Howard is marrying Diana as some sort of revenge against Wentworth?

(Hiding out in caves must be in Price's contract.)
It's one of his hobbies. He was probably drinking a bottle of nice wine, too.

When John's conscience finally compelled him to threaten to go to the police
He should have just done it instead of making threats.

Julie runs out for help
"Somebody call a cop! Oh, wait."

Julie runs back into the cave to find that John has split.
He's gone underground.

Castor walks off and the male Mods walk up to join Julie, accompanied by a voiceover of Price reciting the poem.
Well, that was a nice little film noir homage and tribute to Vincent Price.

This track opening the album always had a sort of cinematic quality to me, like it was the soundtrack for an unmade film.
Hmm. That's a good thought.

It mainly sticks out in my head as the subject of an oddly off-chronology reference on Friends, in which Ross, then a recent divorcee, implies that he hasn't dated since "Billy, Don't Be a Hero" was a current song. David Schwimmer would have been turning 8 in 1974, and Ross was supposed to have been a college student in the late '80s.
I suppose we can chalk it up to hyperbole, but it's certainly an obscure reference for the Friends audience.

They clearly put a lot of effort into the title for the episode above.
My first thought was, "Now that's more like it." :rommie:

As far as they knew at the time, she was just an innocent bystander. She wasn't a suspect or a witness to a crime.
Yeah, I guess so.

I didn't watch the show regularly after Farrah left, having had an early childhood fixation with her.
Interesting. I liked Cheryl Ladd better and felt that season two was the high point of the show. But Kate Jackson was really the backbone of the series and they failed to adequately replace her-- both of the final two Angels were pretty bad, though for different reasons.

Perhaps she suffers from Marvel Heroine Syndrome? Wanda and Sue were known to need constant rest.
At least they usually actually did something before they fainted.

The adventures of Julie are so epic and bombastic that they cannot be told on a TV budget. We only get to see the aftermath. Someday, when AI is up to the task, we'll be gifted with Untold Tales of the Mod Squad.
Put her in your Brady Bunch Season 6 and see what she doesn't do.

I don't think I'm familiar with that one, either.
Nor I, just sharing what was posted on IMDb.

She's very tired. :rommie:
Physical business clearly wasn't Peggy Lipton's strong suit. Julie's stunt double plays checkers with the Maytag Repairman.

And despite being local law enforcement, they are unaware of the caves.
The caves were an unconventional formation.

Just now?
Like she's flipping out, man.

This is the part where the kids these days use that buzzword...

That's a remarkable coincidence.
That came up on one of the 50th anniversary shows recently, too, where it was a plot point that the same late movie just happened to be repeated on a subsequent night. Someone wanted to watch King Kong, I think, and needed to fix their set.

Which seems to have no significance to the plot whatsoever. :rommie:
Not that I caught, other than to name-drop the character before we met him.

Possibly unlicensed, as well.
I would've gone for "unaccredited".

She's really just being a buttinski at this point.
That's what Mods do best.

She has to, she can't walk.
:p

Considering the massive age difference here, are we to assume that Howard is marrying Diana as some sort of revenge against Wentworth?
I kinda doubt it, as he thought that Wentworth was long dead.

It's one of his hobbies. He was probably drinking a bottle of nice wine, too.
Mod61.jpg

He should have just done it instead of making threats.
True.

"Somebody call a cop! Oh, wait."
Shades of Murray Greschler.

Well, that was a nice little film noir homage and tribute to Vincent Price.
An IMDb reviewer likened it to an episode of Route 66.

I suppose we can chalk it up to hyperbole, but it's certainly an obscure reference for the Friends audience.
I did a bit of online searching to refresh my memory about it, and one theory was that it was written to reference the 1985 Phil Collins song "Don't Lose My Number," which would have been more chronologically consistent, and Schwimmer misdelivered the line.

Friends has actually come to mind when we're bemoaning the horrible continuity of Odd Couple flashback episodes. Friends tended to do them regularly, too, but by contrast kept pretty consistent background continuity, such that an odd reference in one episode might pay off later when we saw it in a flashback. For example, at some point it was mentioned in dialogue that when he was rooming with Ross in college, Chandler had Flock of Seagulls hair. When they later did a flashback episode from that period, there was the Flock of Seagulls hair. It wasn't terribly consistent with when the episode took place--1987, by which point even the lead singer of AFOS hadn't worn his hair like that for at least a couple of years; but it was internally consistent, and demonstrated that the people writing the series were paying a lot more attention to such details than their predecessors on TOC.

I've never heard of that one.

For whatever reason, I find Michael Cole's haircut distracting. I know he had to keep it long for the 'Mod Squad', but he was pushing pushing 30 when this was made, and he should look a little more respectable/presentable playing a college student/instructor.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been posted before by someone else, so if that's the case, I apologize.

I've considered myself a hopeless romantic, for many years. I'm certainly no expert on the subject - I've never read "Romeo & Juliet", "Pride & Prejudice", or most of the popular literature along such lines. But the love songs often played by my local radio station affected me very deeply. To this day, even though I'm currently 43 and single, I still have a very passionate belief in both love and marriage. So-called "realists" like to say, "Being married isn't all sunshine and roses - you have to work hard", and I totally get that. But I don't think that means you have to completely ignore or abandon the passionate side, either.

Anyway, I've written all of this, because I wanted to share with you one of my favorite love songs. Its called "Right Here Waiting", and it was first released in 1989, by Richard Marx. He initially wrote the song as a love letter to his first wife, actress Cynthia Rhodes, and it has since become one of his most-requested numbers.

Personally, there was a period in my life where, as much as I adore this song, I couldn't hear it without crying. This was due to some very bad choices from my past, and while I'm now healed from much of it, I still can't listen to this as often as I used to. Still, its a truly great expression of love, and I hope you enjoy it.

Put her in your Brady Bunch Season 6 and see what she doesn't do.
In the Land of the Lost, she'd end up chained to a sacrificial altar or something. :rommie:

Physical business clearly wasn't Peggy Lipton's strong suit. Julie's stunt double plays checkers with the Maytag Repairman.
They should have hired the stunt double. David Carradine proved that you can be ethereal and still kick butt.

Like she's flipping out, man.

This is the part where the kids these days use that buzzword...
Creepy? Cringe? Ew? Stalkery?

That came up on one of the 50th anniversary shows recently, too, where it was a plot point that the same late movie just happened to be repeated on a subsequent night. Someone wanted to watch King Kong, I think, and needed to fix their set.
They were having a premonition of 21st-century cable channels.

I would've gone for "unaccredited".
That does sound more polite somehow.

That's what Mods do best.
True.

I kinda doubt it, as he thought that Wentworth was long dead.
Yeah, but I meant in a dancing-on-his-grave kind of way.

That's my Vincent. :rommie:

Shades of Murray Greschler.
Capped, after a minute. I wonder if she plays Poker.

An IMDb reviewer likened it to an episode of Route 66.
Hmm. I don't see it, but then... I didn't see it.

I did a bit of online searching to refresh my memory about it, and one theory was that it was written to reference the 1985 Phil Collins song "Don't Lose My Number," which would have been more chronologically consistent, and Schwimmer misdelivered the line.
Still an odd thing to misspeak. :rommie:

but it was internally consistent, and demonstrated that the people writing the series were paying a lot more attention to such details than their predecessors on TOC.
Well, I admire internal consistency and attention to detail, so kudos to them for that.

For whatever reason, I find Michael Cole's haircut distracting. I know he had to keep it long for the 'Mod Squad', but he was pushing pushing 30 when this was made, and he should look a little more respectable/presentable playing a college student/instructor.
I guess we can excuse that with it being one of those "twenty minutes into the future" kind of things.

I've considered myself a hopeless romantic, for many years.
Ditto.

Still, its a truly great expression of love, and I hope you enjoy it.
That's a pretty nice song, I agree.

In the Land of the Lost, she'd end up chained to a sacrificial altar or something. :rommie:
Might be too much physical business for her, but I can dig it.

They should have hired the stunt double. David Carradine proved that you can be ethereal and still kick butt.
There's ethereal, and then there's lethargic.

Creepy? Cringe? Ew? Stalkery?
It rhymes with "bass-fighting".

That does sound more polite somehow.
I was going for a pun on "uncredited".

Capped, after a minute. I wonder if she plays Poker.
That took a minute? Murray's had beats like that recently, and I think I quoted one.

Hmm. I don't see it, but then... I didn't see it.
I can see it...it was kind of semi-anthology drama style and had a literate quality to it.

Might be too much physical business for her, but I can dig it.
"Ah, Morgo, I see you have sedated the sacrificial victim."
"No, she just dozed off."

There's ethereal, and then there's lethargic.
True. :rommie:

It rhymes with "bass-fighting".
Ah, right. And none of them have seen the movie, or probably know that it exists. :rommie:

I was going for a pun on "uncredited".
Right, that was good, the connection just got lost in the chain of quotes.

That took a minute? Murray's had beats like that recently, and I think I quoted one.
Because I was only vaguely aware of his last name. I was trying to think of an actor or something.

I can see it...it was kind of semi-anthology drama style and had a literate quality to it.
Yeah, that's true.

_______

_______

The Mod Squad
"Suffer, Little Children"
Originally aired February 9, 1971
Wiki said:
The Squad helps a minister find out who murdered his brother, a psychologist who ran a clinic for troubled youngsters. Besides differing ideologies, complicating matters was that the clinic was used to hold stolen goods before they are fenced.

In the Haight side of town, at a free psychological clinic called The Place that doubles as an art studio and community center, Dr. Bob Douglas (John Evans) takes a call in which he threatens to go to the police if the other party doesn't get off some kids' backs. Immediately after the call, he's visited by a hitman whom we later learn is named Fred (Ken Scott), who uses a Five-O Special to kill Hippie Doc. In the aftermath, a surplus of stolen goods is found, implicating that Douglas was involved in fencing. The Mods are all outspoken advocates of Douglas's who refuse to believe he was involved in crime. As Greer's investigating the scene, Bob's brother, Reverend James Douglas (Kaz Garas), arrives from out of town. The reverend didn't approve of his brother running a "flophouse" for "freaks and weirdos," but as he's butting heads with Greer, he insists that he'll mingle in Bob's crowd to conduct his own investigation. Pointing out what a square fellow the reverend is (which involves dropping references to Dylan and the Stones), Greer offers to set the reverend up to take custody of a jailbird who knows the streets...Linc.

Linc gets the reverend a shaggy wig and hip threads and takes him back to the clinic, where they meet Bob's assistant, Angie (Jenny Sullivan), who holds a grudge against the reverend for not being willing to help his brother, and gives him an earful about how much she and Bob have put into the place. Meanwhile, a cryptic note of interest on the diagnosis sheet of a patient named Karen Whiteside, who happens to have been an acquaintance of Julie's, leads Pete and Julie to a band she used to be a member of called Eddie's People; from whom they learn of a record company benefactor named Joe Foster, whose initials were in the note, and are pointed to Eddie Peabody (Ian Sander) at his boarding kennel, the Doggie Astoria. Eddie indicates that Karen split for another state, having been coaxed to mislead the Mods by Foster (Sheldon Allman) and his henchman, Fred. Greer determines that Karen went back to school in her California hometown, where Julie drops in on her (Jill Choder).
Wiki said:
An exterior scene took place at Walt Whitman High School, a fictional high school used as a setting for an ABC sitcom at the time, Room 222.
When informed of Douglas's murder, Karen insists that he wasn't involved in burglary; but when asked about Foster, she clams up because Fred's hanging around watching her.

As Linc takes Douglas on a tour of the backlot hippie square, the deacon (as Linc has taken to calling him) begins to show concern for the welfare of the young residents, and is filled in about what they do to survive. Linc then introduces the reverend to Pete, who's theorized that the kennel, which Foster owns, is being used as a means of selecting burglary targets. Later, as Julie's arriving for a rendezvous with Linc, Fred tries to nab her, unleashing Linc's stunt double, who's soon backed up by Pete's, sending the henchman screeching off in his car. In a clinic powwow between the assembled Mods and the deacon, Pete and Linc share how they've further worked out that Foster is using the young musicians on his label to commit the burglaries, and that Dr. Bob held back from going to the police because he didn't want to get the kids in trouble. Linc then argues that they need to turn the kids over to the police as a means of incentivizing Douglas, who now objects to the notion of throwing away what his brother died for. Douglas breaks into Foster's office to look for his books as evidence, and when he's caught by Foster and Fred, grabs the TV and pretends to have been engaged in general burglary.

This leads to a roughing up by Fred, following which Foster makes a recruitment pitch. But after Douglas leaves, Foster and Fred discover that the cabinet with the books is ajar, so they decide to pick up both Douglas and Julie. Pete and Linc wait outside as Douglas goes to a follow-up meeting with Foster, only to find that Douglas has been unwigged and spirited away. Back at the coffee house where Eddie's People play, Eddie helps Fred nab Julie, and the guys hold back from helping her so they can follow Fred to the deacon. Fred meets up with Foster outside the Doggie Astoria, Julie and Douglas now both tied and cosmetically gagged, and the guys go into action...
Mod62.jpg
The flying tackle out of the moving convertible is becoming another LSD signature move! Douglas gets in on the action despite his bonds, helping Linc and Pete take down Foster, Fred, and Eddie. Greer arrives with uniformed CLE and tells Douglas how he plans to have the burglary ring kids rounded up. The reverend objects to this, which pleases Greer.

In the coda, the new Dr. Douglas has taken over running the clinic, which he's now very invested in, and shares with the Mods how he's set up a chapel to help turn the kids on to the higher power of their choice. Pleased at Douglas's turnaround, the Mods walk off into the convertible.

The psychedelic poster of George Harrison makes another appearance as part of the clinic's decor.

_______

"Ah, Morgo, I see you have sedated the sacrificial victim."
"No, she just dozed off."
:lol:

"Suffer, Little Children"
Not bad.

In the aftermath, a surplus of stolen goods is found, implicating that Douglas was involved in fencing.
Was this intentional to throw the cops off the track? This whole operation, as well as Foster's handling of Douglas, seems sloppy. Or at least unlikely.

The reverend didn't approve of his brother running a "flophouse" for "freaks and weirdos,"
Freaks and weirdos are people, too, Rev. Also, it doesn't sound like it was a flophouse.

Pointing out what a square fellow the reverend is (which involves dropping references to Dylan and the Stones)
Greer is hip for an old guy. :rommie:

Linc gets the reverend a shaggy wig and hip threads and takes him back to the clinic
I think Linc might be screwing with him a little bit. :rommie:

who holds a grudge against the reverend for not being willing to help his brother
Hippies don't do grudges, Angie. I wonder if she was named after the song, since the writer has also name-dropped the Stones.

a cryptic note of interest on the diagnosis sheet of a patient named Karen Whiteside
Why are they poking into the private info of random patients?

leads Pete and Julie to a band she used to be a member of called Eddie's People; from whom they learn of a record company benefactor named Joe Foster, whose initials were in the note, and are pointed to Eddie Peabody (Ian Sander) at his boarding kennel, the Doggie Astoria.
I'm having difficulty making sense of all this. :rommie:

Wiki said:
An exterior scene took place at Walt Whitman High School, a fictional high school used as a setting for an ABC sitcom at the time, Room 222.
This is oddly phrased. Are they implying a crossover? :rommie:

the deacon (as Linc has taken to calling him) begins to show concern for the welfare of the young residents
Another story with gradual character development, rather than an abrupt change of heart.

Pete, who's theorized that the kennel, which Foster owns, is being used as a means of selecting burglary targets.
Okay, so Foster owns a record company and a dog kennel. He uses the kennel to select victims and his bands to do the dirty work, and then stashes the plunder at the clinic. How did the clinic get involved? Does he own that building too?

Fred tries to nab her, unleashing Linc's stunt double, who's soon backed up by Pete's
I'm starting to picture the stunt doubles bursting forth from their chests, complete with Kirby Krackle. Which would be cool.

Dr. Bob held back from going to the police because he didn't want to get the kids in trouble.
Bad choice on Dr Bob's part.

he's caught by Foster and Fred, grabs the TV and pretends to have been engaged in general burglary.
"I'm just liberating this television set, man."

The flying tackle out of the moving convertible is becoming another LSD signature move!
I wonder if they practice this stuff in empty parking lots on weekends. :rommie:

Douglas gets in on the action despite his bonds
Oh, come on, the guest priest gets more action than Julie? :rommie:

Greer arrives with uniformed CLE and tells Douglas how he plans to have the burglary ring kids rounded up. The reverend objects to this, which pleases Greer.
And the rev's redemption is complete.

In the coda, the new Dr. Douglas has taken over running the clinic, which he's now very invested in
Well, the criminal's plot was unlikely and the sequence of events leading to his downfall unlikelier, but I like the portrayal of the community center and the reverend's character arc.

The psychedelic poster of George Harrison makes another appearance as part of the clinic's decor.
I wonder if they had to get permission for that.

Back