The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Also released in March 1974 - the single 'Too Rolling Stoned' by Robin Trower from his forthcoming album 'Bridge of Sighs'.

On impulse, Harry went in and sat at a table.
Almost like it was destiny.

Una and Grianne stepped outside to see Harry standing next to a black limo with a bouquet of flowers, honeydew mellons and stuffed toys.
Way to impress the girls, Harry. :rommie:

(As an aside - I would like to take just a minute to point out that Harry was 32 at the time he met Una. They married shortly after her 22nd birthday, with Ringo Starr as Harry's best man. They had six children and remained married until his death on 15-Jan-1994. While the age difference might seem a bit creepy to some, everyone interviewed for Harry's biography said that Una was Harry's rock, helping cure him of his alcoholism and drug abuse in the late 70s; allowing Harry to be a loving husband and doting father to his children.)
Everything seems creepy to people these days. She was an adult and they were obviously good for each other.

Along with Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, Alice Cooper, Micky Dolenz and others, they dubbed themselves 'The Hollywood Vampires', known for their nocturnal habits, bar hopping and hard partying.
Good name for a band. Too bad they didn't funnel their energies in that direction.

As a bonus - here's Harry's final Top Forty single 'Daybreak', released in March 1974, from the soundtrack of the movie 'Son of Dracula', where Harry plays Count Downe and Ringo Starr plays Merlin the Magician.
I remember that one. Not bad. I don't think I knew it was from a movie soundtrack.

My first memory of Donald is his portrayal as Garry in John Carpenter's 'The Thing'.
I did see that movie in the theater, but somehow I don't think I recognized Donald Moffat. I didn't care for it much, so maybe my mind was wandering. :rommie:

Also released in March 1974 - the single 'Too Rolling Stoned' by Robin Trower from his forthcoming album 'Bridge of Sighs'.
Kinda sounds like Cream.

That sounds familiar.
Another clip reminded me that the immediate underling was a go-between; he was conveying the suggestions to the CIA Deputy Director of Operations--across the hall from Jack--who was seeing to the details.

I know, but it just seemed to fizzle. Probably just my impression.
Seemed pretty dramatic to me.

I guess not. And for two years. I'd call him an inattentive husband. :rommie:
She may have been making an effort not to let him see the wound location.

I'll have to do some research. I never saw that one.
Do you know who starred in it? I'm thinking no, if you've never seen it. There's a reason I brought it up.

You're an expensive influencer. I'm still missing two quarters. :rommie:
I'd be cleaning those things with disinfectant wipes these days. Hey, we could be an Odd Couple knockoff!

It's a cute idea, because they do fit the dog and cat stereotypes. I didn't like the theme song, though.
The song rang absolutely no bells whatsoever, which says something about how generically unmemorable it was.

Last edited:
Seemed pretty dramatic to me.
Probably to me too, then, if I had seen it. :rommie:

She may have been making an effort not to let him see the wound location.
"You've been wearing those Scooby Doo jammies to bed a lot lately, hon."

Do you know who starred in it? I'm thinking no, if you've never seen it. There's a reason I brought it up.
Oh, now I see. It doesn't say when the show takes place, so that could be a descendant of Gilligan-- his name is Junior, after all. And they could be traveling through the Outer Space of the Land of the Lost.

I'd be cleaning those things with disinfectant wipes these days. Hey, we could be an Odd Couple knockoff!
I'm thinking that would be very likely. :rommie:

People nowadays seem to have forgotten how to mind their own damn business.
That's religion for ya. Must... control... everyone....

50 Years Ago This Week

March 10
  • Britain's 280,000 coal mine workers began their return to work after ratification of a new pay package, starting with the night shift at 11:00.

March 11
  • Imperial Japanese Army second lieutenant Hiroo Onoda formally surrendered after having continued to carry out his orders in World War II to fight in the Philippines for 29 years. Onoda was informed by his former commanding officer, Major Yoshimi Taniguchi, that the War had been over since 1945, and presented his battle sword to Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos.
  • The United Kingdom formally ended the state of emergency that had been proclaimed in November in response to the energy crisis.

March 12
  • The Soviet Mars 6 space probe, one of two explorers launched in 1973, entered the Martian atmosphere at 9:05 UTC and, after its descent was slowed by a parachute, returned data to Earth for 3 minutes and 44 seconds, although most of what was transmitted was unusable because of the deterioration of a computer chip. At 9:11 UTC, seconds before retrorockets were to fire to allow a soft landing, all contact with Mars 6 was lost and the probe crashed on Mars at a speed of 61 meters per second, equivalent to 136 miles (219 km) per hour.
  • John Lennon is thrown out of the Troubadour nightclub in Los Angeles after heckling the Smothers Brothers during their act, and allegedly assaulting their manager and a waitress. [Over to you, Darren.]

March 13
  • At a meeting of representatives of the Arab nations OPEC, the nine OAPEC members agreed to lift the embargo against the U.S. for two months and restore full production, which had been reduced in October after U.S. support of Israel in the Yom Kippur War.
  • Prime Minister Liam Cosgrave of the Republic of Ireland announced that the Irish Republic recognized that Northern Ireland was part of the UK and not a part of the Republic of Ireland. Cosgrave told the parliament, "The factual position of Northern Ireland is that it is within the United Kingdom and my government accepts this as a fact." The declaration was made in an effort to stop the ongoing violence in Ireland as a whole.
  • Meeting in Athens, scientists from 13 nations on the Mediterranean Sea warned that the vast body of water between Europe and Africa would "become a dead sea" by 2004 if measures were not taken to reduce water pollution.
  • John Lennon and his new girlfriend, May Pang, formerly his office assistant, attend an American Film Institute dinner honoring James Cagney.

March 15
  • The 100 kilometres per hour (62 mph) speed limit that had been imposed on West Germany's autobahn traffic in October because of the energy crisis, expired on its own terms after the parliament rejected a proposal to set a limit of 140 kilometres per hour (87 mph).

March 16
  • U.S. President Nixon last played the piano in public, as part of the dedication of the new Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, on the grounds of Opryland USA. Nixon played the songs "Happy Birthday to You", followed by "My Wild Irish Rose" and "God Bless America". Previously, country music's Grand Ole Opry had been housed at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
2. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks
3. "Dark Lady," Cher
4. "Sunshine on My Shoulders," John Denver
5. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand
6. "Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor
7. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
8. "Rock On," David Essex
9. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford
10. "Jet," Paul McCartney & Wings
11. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades
12. "Bennie and the Jets," Elton John
13. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
14. "Hooked on a Feeling," Blue Swede
15. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
16. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier
17. "Sexy Mama," The Moments
18. "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
19. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin
20. "The Lord's Prayer," Sister Janet Mead
21. "Mighty Love, Pt. 1," The Spinners
22. "Love Song," Anne Murray
23. "There Won't Be Anymore," Charlie Rich
24. "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me," Gladys Knight & The Pips
25. "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)," MFSB feat. The Three Degrees
26. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
27. "Put Your Hands Together," The O'Jays
28. "I Love," Tom T. Hall
29. "A Very Special Love Song," Charlie Rich
30. "Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack

32. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King
33. "Last Time I Saw Him," Diana Ross
34. "You're Sixteen," Ringo Starr

37. "Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient
38. "I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song," Jim Croce
39. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John

41. "Touch a Hand, Make a Friend," The Staple Singers

44. "Oh, My My," Ringo Starr
45. "Let It Ride," Bachman-Turner Overdrive

50. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones

53. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson

55. "My Mistake (Was to Love You)," Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye

58. "Keep On Singing," Helen Reddy

60. "Tubular Bells," Mike Oldfield
61. "Piano Man," Billy Joel

63. "Jolene," Dolly Parton

66. "She's Gone," Daryl Hall & John Oates

69. "The Loco-Motion," Grand Funk

73. "Midnight at the Oasis," Maria Muldaur

79. "Dancing Machine," Jackson 5
80. "(I've Been) Searchin' So Long," Chicago

86. "Mighty Mighty," Earth, Wind & Fire
87. "Help Me," Joni Mitchell
88. "Oh Very Young," Cat Stevens

90. "The Show Must Go On," Three Dog Night

99. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock," Bill Haley & His Comets

Leaving the chart:
  • "Americans," Byron MacGregor (10 weeks)
  • "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips (16 weeks)
  • "Midnight Rider," Gregg Allman (12 weeks)

New on the chart:

"(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock," Bill Haley & His Comets
(Originally charted in 1955, reaching #1 US, #3 R&B, #17 UK; subsequent UK issues in 1955 and 1956 reached #1 and #5, respectively; this release reaches #39 in its first run on the Hot 100, which didn't exist in '55, and #12 UK; #158 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time [2004])

"(I've Been) Searchin' So Long," Chicago
(#9 US; #8 AC)

"Help Me," Joni Mitchell
(#7 US; #1 AC; #282 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time [2004])

"The Show Must Go On," Three Dog Night
(#4 US)

"Dancing Machine," Jackson 5
(#2 US; #1 R&B)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Adam-12, "L.A. International"
  • Kung Fu, "Arrogant Dragon"
  • Ironside, "Riddle at 24,000"
  • All in the Family, "Mike's Graduation" (season finale)

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month and Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles Day by Day, with minor editing as needed.

_______

It doesn't say when the show takes place
I was always under the impression that it was supposed to be a contemporary space program thing, if fictionalized tech-wise.

My overall impression of the show (which I only caught irregularly) as a kid was that it was conspicuously riffing on GI, with its stranded premise and the Junior/Barney duo evoking the Gilligan/Skipper dynamic.

Last edited:
  • John Lennon is thrown out of the Troubadour nightclub in Los Angeles after heckling the Smothers Brothers during their act, and allegedly assaulting their manager and a waitress. [Over to you, Darren.]

It just so happens today is the 50th Anniversary of the 1st Troubadour Incident
The Troubadour Incident Part 1 - John v. Waitress
While Harry was out of town, John and May Pang paid a visit to the Troubadour Club to watch a performance of soul singer Ann Peebles.
At one point during the performance, a seriously inebriated John went to the bathroom, where he found an unused sanitary napkin on the floor. As a gag, he returned to his table with it affixed to his forehead, (as May and others seated at the table begged him to take it off).
When one of the club's world weary waitresses studiously ignored him, John asked if she knew who he was, to which she replied, "Yes, some asshole with a Kotex on his forehead."
John got up, ripped the sanitary napkin from his forehead, and stormed out, not paying the bill. The incident was covered up in the press at the time, owing to John's legal difficulties with the imigration department. Any word were to get out, John could find himself in front of a judge and be deported to England, with little chance of returning, due in part to the FBI and President Nixon's watchdogs.
The next incident could not be kept out of the press.
Tomorrow - The Troubadour Incident Part 2 - Harry and John v. The Smother's Brothers.

Last edited:
Imperial Japanese Army second lieutenant Hiroo Onoda formally surrendered after having continued to carry out his orders in World War II to fight in the Philippines for 29 years. Onoda was informed by his former commanding officer, Major Yoshimi Taniguchi, that the War had been over since 1945, and presented his battle sword to Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos.
Amazing. I'd love to see how this transpired. I wonder if they filmed it.

the probe crashed on Mars at a speed of 61 meters per second, equivalent to 136 miles (219 km) per hour.
And the Soviets do it again. But Mars was tough for everybody.

[Over to you, Darren.]
:rommie:

The declaration was made in an effort to stop the ongoing violence in Ireland as a whole.
Those Irish. Buncha hotheads.

scientists from 13 nations on the Mediterranean Sea warned that the vast body of water between Europe and Africa would "become a dead sea" by 2004 if measures were not taken to reduce water pollution.
Good thing somebody listened.

U.S. President Nixon last played the piano in public, as part of the dedication of the new Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville
Some days I wake up and feel like I'm in a completely different universe. :rommie:

"(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock," Bill Haley & His Comets
A Classic among Classics.

"(I've Been) Searchin' So Long," Chicago
Chicago at their peak.

"Help Me," Joni Mitchell
Classic.

"The Show Must Go On," Three Dog Night
Three Dog Night. 'nuff said.

"Dancing Machine," Jackson 5
And here's a dancing song by the Jacksons. :rommie:

I was always under the impression that it was supposed to be a contemporary space program thing, if fictionalized tech-wise.
He could still be related to Gilligan in some way, an uncle or a cousin or something. And I'm liking this idea of the Land of the Lost having an outer space component, even if it did feel kind of like a snow globe at the time.

My overall impression of the show (which I only caught irregularly) as a kid was that it was conspicuously riffing on GI, with its stranded premise and the Junior/Barney duo evoking the Gilligan/Skipper dynamic.
That makes sense based on what I remember of that other actor. But I think everything that Bob Denver did evoked Gilligan-- maybe we can work Dusty's Trail into this. :rommie:

As a gag, he returned to his table with it affixed to his forehead, (as May and others seated at the table begged him to take it off).
Hard to reconcile this guy with the guy who created all that lovely poetry.

Any word were to get out, John could find himself in front of a judge and be deported to England, with little chance of returning, due in part to the FBI and President Nixon's watchdogs.
Ironically, if this had happened, he may still be alive today-- or at least he would have lived a lot longer.

_______

70 Years Ago This Season

_______

January 1
  • The Soviet Union ceased to demand war reparations from Germany.
  • NBC broadcasts the Rose Parade from Pasadena, California in NTSC color. The broadcast uses a new mobile color TV studio (truck) and the program is carried across the continent on 21 stations. RCA strategically places Color TV sets in public viewing areas such as hotel lobbies because the first sets only become available to the public in the spring.

_______

On January 2, "Oh! My Pa-Pa (O Mein Papa)" by Eddie Fisher with Hugo Winterhalter's Orchestra and Chorus tops the Billboard Best Sellers in Stores chart.

_______

January 3
  • In the United States, the last steam-driven passenger train left Washington Union Station for Richmond, Virginia.
  • Programma Nazionale began transmissions in Italy, making it the very first TV network in Italian television.

January 7
  • The Georgetown–IBM experiment, the first public demonstration of a machine translation system (from Russian to English), took place in New York.

January 10
  • BOAC Flight 781, a de Havilland Comet jet plane, disintegrated in mid-air due to metal fatigue and crashed in the Mediterranean near Elba, killing all 35 people on board.
  • CBMT opens in Montreal, making that city the first in Canada to have 2 stations operating. The new station uses the English language, leaving CBFT to continue entirely in French.

January 12
  • Experimental television begins in Norway.

January 14
  • Marilyn Monroe married baseball player Joe DiMaggio.
  • First documented use of the abbreviated term "Rock 'n' Roll" to promote Alan Freed's Rock 'n' Roll Jubillee, held at St. Nicholas Arena in New York City. Previously the genre term was just called "Rock and Roll".

_______

On January 15, It Should Happen to You, starring Judy Holliday, Peter Lawford and Jack Lemmon, premieres in New York.

_______

January 17
  • Born: Robert F. Kennedy Jr., American lawyer and activist, 2024 Democratic presidential candidate, in Washington, D.C., to Robert F. Kennedy and Ethel Kennedy

January 18
  • Died: Sydney Greenstreet, 74, English actor

January 20
  • The Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line, the second line in the system and the first built after World War II, was opened between Ikebukuro and Ochanomizu stations.
  • Chicago businessman W. Leonard Evans Jr. established the US-based National Negro Network with forty-six member radio stations.

January 21

January 25
  • The foreign ministers of the United States, the United Kingdom, France and the Soviet Union met at the Berlin Conference, which would last until February 18. Its purpose was to discuss a settlement to the recent Korean War and the ongoing First Indochina War between France and the Viet Minh.

January 29
  • Born: Oprah Winfrey, American talk show host, actress, and producer, founded Harpo Productions

_______

Released in January:

"(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man," Muddy Waters
(#3 R&B; #225 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time [2004])

"Such a Night," Clyde McPhatter & The Drifters
(#2 R&B)

_______

February: Hopalong Cassidy, with issue #86, revived by DC Comics, taking over the numbering of the Fawcett Comics series

February 2
  • U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower reported the detonation of the first H-bomb (done in 1952).
  • Born: Christie Brinkley, American actress, model, and entrepreneur, in Monroe, Michigan

February 3

February 10
  • After authorizing $385 million over the $400 million already budgeted for military aid to Vietnam, President of the United States Dwight D. Eisenhower warned against his country's intervention in Vietnam.

_______

On February 12, Creature from the Black Lagoon, starring Richard Carlson and Julia Adams, premieres in Denver, Detroit, and Lansing, Mich.

_______

February 15
  • The Chords record "Sh-Boom" for Atlantic Records' Cat subsidiary.
  • Born: Matt Groening, cartoonist and creator of The Simpsons and Futurama, in Portland, Oregon

February 18
  • Born: John Travolta, American actor, director and singer, in Englewood, New Jersey

February 23
  • The first mass vaccination of children against polio began in Pittsburgh, United States.

February 25
  • Lt. Col. Gamal Abdel Nasser became premier of Egypt.

_______

On February 27, "Secret Love" by Doris Day with Orchestra conducted by Ray Heindorf tops the Billboard Best Sellers in Stores chart.

_______

February 28
  • Telma became the first television station in Morocco. It was closed down after 15 months on the air and was left without an official TV station until 1962.

_______

Also in February, "Tipitina" by Professor Longhair is released (included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll).

_______

March 1
  • U.S. officials announced that a hydrogen bomb nuclear test (Castle Bravo) had been conducted on Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean as part of Operation Castle.
_______

On March 13, "Make Love to Me!" by Jo Stafford with Paul Weston & his Orchestra tops the Billboard Best Sellers in Stores chart.

_______

March 19
  • Joey Giardello knocked out Willie Tory at Madison Square Garden, in the first televised boxing prize fight to be shown in color.

March 23
  • In Vietnam, the Viet Minh captured the main airstrip of Dien Bien Phu. The remaining French Army units there were partially isolated.

March 25
  • At the 26th Academy Awards, Frank Sinatra wins the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in From Here to Eternity, resuscitating his singing career in the process. At the same ceremony, Bing Crosby is nominated for Best Actor for his role in The Country Girl.
  • RCA manufactured the first color television set (12-inch screen; price: $1,000).
  • The Soviet Union recognised the sovereignty of East Germany. Soviet troops remained in the country.

March 27
  • The Castle Romeo nuclear test explosion was executed.

March 28
  • Puerto Rico's first television station, WKAQ-TV, commenced broadcasting.

_______

Sometime in 1954, the following short films are released:

The House in the Middle
(full short embedded in the Wiki page; included in the National Film Registry)

Stamp Day for Superman

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki pages for the months, as well as the year in film, music, television, and comics. Sections separated from timeline entries are mine.

_______

Amazing. I'd love to see how this transpired. I wonder if they filmed it.
I didn't go through all the YouTube vids about him, but there's a still picture of him formally handing over his sword to Marcos, and I found these:
BBC News Japan WWII soldier who refused to surrender, dies (youtube.com)
SYND 13-3-74 SOLDIER RETURNS TO TOKYO AFTER 30 YEARS OF HIDING IN PHILIPPINES (youtube.com)

And the Soviets do it again. But Mars was tough for everybody.
It's mildly amazing to me in hindsight that we were only just probing out into the solar system when I was a kid. I had no real context to appreciate it at the time.

Some days I wake up and feel like I'm in a completely different universe. :rommie:
His presidential duties still involved more than just covering up Watergate. Enjoy the quirky moment of levity. T-minus 152 days and counting.

A Classic among Classics.
A seminal early hit of the rock 'n' roll era. It appears to have been rereleased as a single at this point in connection with its inclusion on the American Graffiti soundtrack.

Chicago at their peak.
Sounds nice, somewhat memorable, but they've got a really distinctive one coming from this album.

Her only Top 10 hit. "Both Sides Now" is ranked higher on the RS list, but the hit single version wasn't hers.

Three Dog Night. 'nuff said.
A distinctive bit of oldies / maybe classic rock radio business, this will be their last Top 10 hit, with their last Top 20 hit following.

And here's a dancing song by the Jacksons. :rommie:
A step toward the disco era, out of which will emerge the Michael of Off the Wall.

He could still be related to Gilligan in some way, an uncle or a cousin or something. And I'm liking this idea of the Land of the Lost having an outer space component, even if it did feel kind of like a snow globe at the time.
That makes sense based on what I remember of that other actor. But I think everything that Bob Denver did evoked Gilligan-- maybe we can work Dusty's Trail into this. :rommie:
Now that one I don't remember...may have been vaguely aware of it at the time. After watching the series finale of The Brady Bunch, which includes Greg graduating from high school, I was thinking that the expedition to South America could be led by one of his college instructors...Professor Maynard G. Krebs.

Hard to reconcile this guy with the guy who created all that lovely poetry.
Authors have postulated that John's "Lost Weekend" period was a reemergence of his pre-fame youth. This was the John who'd go on stage in Hamburg with a toilet seat around his neck and taunt his audience of "Fucking Nazis!" to "Sieg Heil!"

The Troubadour Incident Part 2 - Harry and John v. The Smothers Brothers.

At some point in 1973, Nilsson - a fan of standup comedy - had dropped into a club in Georgetown to see Tom Smothers working through a new set of material before reuniting with his brother Dick. That night, through sheer nerves, Tom went through his act too fast, and Nilsson came to his aid with some witty heckling that gave the comedian a chance to engage the crowd with one-liner riposes and complete his set at the proper time.

On March 13, 1974, Harry took John Lennon to see the Smothers Brothers' open their new joint act at the Troubadour. While on the way to the club, Harry told John about the incident with Tommy Smothers the year before and said that Tommy encouraged heckling and that he felt it enhanced Tommy's performance. It was therefore with the intention of helping the brothers that night that Harry egged John on.

John and Harry, accompanied by May Pang, were seated in the V.I.P. section of the club, where former Rat Packer Peter Lawford, Leonard Nimoy, Cliff Robertson and Pam Grier were in attendance. The trouble begin when Nilsson took the occasion to introduce John to Brandy Alexanders. The drink, consisting of brandy, ice cream or heavy cream, and dark creme de cacao, tasted like a milkshake to John, and he downed them accordingly. They took effect slowly, and after the first set, John and Harry were serenading the attendees with Ann Peebles' "I Can't Stand The Rain."

Once Tommy and Dick were back onstage, the two songbirds were too lubricated to stop. Lawford repeatedly (and heatedly) stage-whispered to Lennon, telling him to knock it off. This only fueled John's belligerence, as profanities began flying in all directions, (John at one point telling Lawford to "Go f*ck a cow!") disrupting the act and drawing unwanted attention fromt he club's attendees. Lawford then got up from his table and found the club's manager, warning that if the manager couldn't silence Lennon, he would take it upon himself to do so.

Meanwhile, the Smothers Brothers' manager, Ken Fritz, decided to handle things himself, approaching John and Harry's table to make a personal appeal. This only resulted in punches (John hitting Ken in the Jaw) - and a glass - being thrown, with more innocent bystanders getting pulled into the melee. A table overturned and slammed down on Pam Grier's toes, painfully breaking three of them, while bouncers were summoned to ensure John's swift departure.

The club's bouncers had Lennon out of the place within seconds, and by 12:20am, he was on the sidewalk, his entire visit having lasted little over half an hour. During the fracas, John's glasses came off his head. Now outside the club and nearly blind, he threw punches wildly, apparently striking photographer Brenda Perkins in the eye. She filed charges at the sheriff's office a short while later and sued Lennon for damages.

Tomorrow - The aftermath.

Last edited:
The Soviet Union ceased to demand war reparations from Germany.
Did Germany notice? :rommie:

Not on any Rolling Stone list ever.

In the United States, the last steam-driven passenger train left Washington Union Station for Richmond, Virginia.
Wow, in 1954. That's fantastic.

The Georgetown–IBM experiment, the first public demonstration of a machine translation system (from Russian to English), took place in New York.
"All your base are belong to us."

Experimental television begins in Norway.
I'm picturing naked Norwegians reciting free-form verse on a bare stage with bad reception.

First documented use of the abbreviated term "Rock 'n' Roll"
And this is not a holiday why?!

On January 15, It Should Happen to You, starring Judy Holliday, Peter Lawford and Jack Lemmon, premieres in New York.
We'll be hearing from Peter Lawford again in about twenty years.

Died: Sydney Greenstreet, 74, English actor
RIP, Senor Ferrari.

"(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man," Muddy Waters
Yup, that's a goodie.

"Such a Night," Clyde McPhatter & The Drifters
Not bad.

February: Hopalong Cassidy, with issue #86, revived by DC Comics, taking over the numbering of the Fawcett Comics series
No new #1 with a titanium-alloy variant cover?

Born: Christie Brinkley, American actress, model, and entrepreneur, in Monroe, Michigan
Jeepers! Christie Brinkley is seven years older than me.

After authorizing $385 million over the $400 million already budgeted for military aid to Vietnam, President of the United States Dwight D. Eisenhower warned against his country's intervention in Vietnam.
Ike is an interesting character in retrospect. He also was the one who warned about the military-industrial complex.

On February 12, Creature from the Black Lagoon, starring Richard Carlson and Julia Adams, premieres in Denver, Detroit, and Lansing, Mich.
Ah, now there's a classic.

The first mass vaccination of children against polio began in Pittsburgh, United States.
Nobody suspected the miniature alien octopuses.

On February 27, "Secret Love" by Doris Day with Orchestra conducted by Ray Heindorf tops the Billboard Best Sellers in Stores chart.
Technically, there is nothing wrong with this and it's perfectly acceptable for people to enjoy it if they choose.

Also in February, "Tipitina" by Professor Longhair is released (included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll).
I love the name Professor Longhair. :rommie:

On March 13, "Make Love to Me!" by Jo Stafford with Paul Weston & his Orchestra tops the Billboard Best Sellers in Stores chart.
Sounds like the 40s.

The House in the Middle
(full short embedded in the Wiki page; included in the National Film Registry)
Who needs a bunker? Just paint your house! :rommie:

You've got to admire the guy. And talk about culture shock. He's like the Buck Rogers of Japan.

It's mildly amazing to me in hindsight that we were only just probing out into the solar system when I was a kid. I had no real context to appreciate it at the time.
The first man was launched into space about three weeks before I was born. The first American traveled to space around the time I was coming home from the hospital. My life basically corresponds to the Space Age. :rommie:

His presidential duties still involved more than just covering up Watergate. Enjoy the quirky moment of levity. T-minus 152 days and counting.
I never even imagined he was a piano player. :rommie:

A seminal early hit of the rock 'n' roll era. It appears to have been rereleased as a single at this point in connection with its inclusion on the American Graffiti soundtrack.
It was also the Happy Days theme at this point.

Now that one I don't remember...may have been vaguely aware of it at the time.
I think it was syndicated. It was such a Gilligan rip off. I remember wondering why they didn't just bring back Gilligan's Island.

After watching the series finale of The Brady Bunch, which includes Greg graduating from high school, I was thinking that the expedition to South America could be led by one of his college instructors...Professor Maynard G. Krebs.
That's a fantastic idea. Maynard grows up to be a Timothy Leary-style college professor. They go to South America in search of a very special lickable frog. :rommie:

Authors have postulated that John's "Lost Weekend" period was a reemergence of his pre-fame youth. This was the John who'd go on stage in Hamburg with a toilet seat around his neck and taunt his audience of "Fucking Nazis!" to "Sieg Heil!"
Now I'm wondering how he managed to live as long as he did. :rommie:

It was therefore with the intention of helping the brothers that night that Harry egged John on.
The long and winding road to hell is paved with good intentions. :rommie:

former Rat Packer Peter Lawford, Leonard Nimoy, Cliff Robertson and Pam Grier were in attendance.
There's an interesting bunch.

Lawford then got up from his table and found the club's manager, warning that if the manager couldn't silence Lennon, he would take it upon himself to do so.
Uh oh....

A table overturned and slammed down on Pam Grier's toes, painfully breaking three of them, while bouncers were summoned to ensure John's swift departure.
Okay, he just crossed the line into unforgivable.

Now outside the club and nearly blind, he threw punches wildly, apparently striking photographer Brenda Perkins in the eye. She filed charges at the sheriff's office a short while later and sued Lennon for damages.
I can't wait to see how he avoids deportation. If he does.

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing

_______

Adam-12
"Skywatch: Part 2"
Originally aired March 5, 1974
Edited Wiki said:
Malloy and Reed take to separate helicopter units to continue their ride along. Calls include a light plane stolen by a distraught man, two robbery suspects fleeing in separate cars, and a nighttime house fire.

In lieu of a recap, the episode commences about 3-1/2 minutes before Part I left off, replaying the entire sequence from when Air-70 was returning to the heliport and the officers were assigned to pursue the plane. As the police copters approach, Pollard veers his plane back toward them, forcing them to take evasive action. Air-70 continues the pursuit, with Malloy talking to Pollard on the radio. Pollard (voice of Sam Edwards) says that he didn't see them because of the sun, and it turns out that his main motivation is getting away from his nagging wife of 22 years. When Mrs. Pollard (voice of Julie Bennett) is put on the radio, Ethel goads Harvey into killing himself, which actually helps in a reverse-psychological way, as Harvey resolves to turn himself in and get a reprieve from her in jail.

Air-10 returns to the heliport, where Reed recommends to Mac that one officer from each unit take turns going up in the choppers. Then Reed gets a call from Malloy that Air-70 is involved in a post-211 pursuit in which the suspects have split up into two vehicles, so Air-10 takes off again to assist.

Mac: So long, Sky King.​

Air-10 tails the green LTD to a suburban residence, where a pair of detective units led by 1-King-9 (voice of John Nolan) swoop in to make the arrest. Air-70 pursues the blue Mustang convertible, which attempts to evade the chopper, but is sealed in by various black and white units barricading the intersections out of the neighborhood they're in. The suspects proceed on foot through residential properties...Malloy startling one of them via P.A., causing him to fall into a pool. He subsequently loses sight of the second suspect, but uniformed officers guided to the suspect's likely whereabouts find him hiding in nearby bushes.

As the officers show up at the heliport for another watch, Malloy is informed that Mac needs him back to sub for Woods's partner on night watch; while Reed proceeds to go up with Walters in Air-10. At the station, Malloy advocates the virtues of the program, declaring that ground units will come to find the copters as useful as the police radio.

Mac: Well, everybody resists change.
Pete: I'll bet it was that way when the radios first came in back in the '30s. I'll bet the guys resisted them at first, but when you found out what you could do with 'em, I'll bet you were all for 'em, weren't you, Mac?​

As Walters and Reed patrol an industrial area by night for 459s, they smell smoke and see a house on fire. Reed calls in units--including Adam-12, manned by Malloy and Woods--and makes a P.A. evacuation announcement to the neighbors. Reed and Walters watch from above and Malloy helps a woman out of the burning house and a fire engine arrives. Reed notes to Walters that he plans to recommend that the air units be familiarized with which units are available in the areas they're patrolling.

Another note about the return of Officer Walters is that his first name seems to have changed from Jerry to Lou...probably to avoid redundancy with Jerry Woods.

_______

Ironside
"Come Eleven, Come Twelve"
Originally aired March 7, 1974
Frndly said:
Ed and his prisoner are intercepted by syndicate men planning to kill their former associate.

In Chicago, Ed escorts the prisoner cuffed to his wrist, David Cutter (Andy Robinson), to the airport in a delivery van...but a well-informed man staking out the place (Paul Kent) is in the know and joins them on their flight to Frisco, taking the seat behind Ed. A talkative passenger in the seat across the aisle, hardware salesman Orville Smithers (David Huddleston--High-billed guest alert!), chats up Ed. The plan, we learn back at the Cave, is to persuade Cutter to identify who hired him to commit a murder. After dinner on the plane, Smithers--who took interest at the sight of the man in the seat behind Ed--listens as Cutter describes his childhood and argues in favor of learning to trust people.

The plane is delayed when it makes an unscheduled landing in Reno due to a malfunction, and the passengers have to disembark to the terminal. Ed has a security guard escort him to an office. The Chief calls Ed from Frisco airport with an update that he plans to charter a plane to Reno to pick them up; but the Chief finds that the only available jet had just been chartered by gentlemen named Philips and Wilkens, who are also headed to Reno. Back at Reno, the well-informed man, who's apparently a Five-O fan, slips into the restroom to fit a silencer on his .357 Magnum! But outside the restroom, the gunman--identified afterward as Tim Waller, suspected of having racketeering connections--is picked up and disarmed by security personnel who've been tipped off by Smithers.

Ed sets up a rendezvous with the Chief at a rural airfield outside of Reno, and secures a rental car with a security guard named Ted Kelly driving. But when Ed notices that they're being tailed, he has the driver take them onto an old dirt road and let them out, heading to an abandoned bar nearby that the driver knows about. At the airfield, the Chief learns from the local sheriff (George Murdock) that Kelly has been killed in an accident. At the scene of the accident, the Chief suspects foul play, and notices that the car's odometer has several unaccounted-for miles on it since it left Reno Airport. At his hideout, Ed hears on the radio about Kelly's death and Cutter becomes increasingly excited that his buddies are coming to bust him loose. (The episode title comes from his recurring tendency to express his confidence that his luck is changing in terms of rolling an eleven.)

Meanwhile, Philips and Wilkens (Paul Comi and Michael Strong) get out of their rental car in the wilderness looking for Ed and Cutter. The Chief learns that Philips and Wilkens got a message from an unidentified party on the flight notifying them of the layover. At the bar, Ed and Cutter get an unexpected visitor, a prospector named Pete Wilson who says that he uses the bar occasionally (Bill Zuckert), and offers to help them get to the airfield but ends up pulling a shotgun on Ed. It turns out that he's just an opportunistic robber, and Cutter tries unsuccessfully to buy his help. Wilson leaves the pair cuffed to a pipe, and is spotted by the syndicate duo and beaten for info. The duo go to the bar and make clear their intent to fulfill their contract to off Cutter...but are taken down in an exchange of fire when the sheriff and Mark arrive behind them, some distinctive gravel having led them to the right road in the search area.

The Sheriff takes TI and Cutter back to Reno Airport, where Ed approaches Smithers and asks him some questions; following which Smithers tries to charter a plane but is taken into the security office to face the Chief, who's determined that he was the "Mr. Smith" who hired the hitmen and previously Cutter.

To round out the various Trek guests, Ken Lynch also appears as a contact of the Chief's at Frisco Airport, presumably a head of security.

_______

The Brady Bunch
"The Hair-Brained Scheme"
Originally aired March 8, 1974
Series finale
Wiki said:
Bobby is convinced he can get rich by selling Neat & Natural Hair Tonic. He sells Greg a container, which turns Greg's hair bright orange on the eve of his high-school commencement.

Greg brings home his cap and gown; while Bobby gets a package of hair tonic that he ordered for selling, thinking that it will make him rich. Inspired to work a scheme of her own, Cindy gets a pair of rabbits named Romeo and Juliet with the intent of breeding them. Bobby goes door to door with Oliver accompanying him, but strikes out with a series of potential customers, including one who wears a toupee (Brandy Carson, Bern Hoffman, and John Wheeler). Carol encourages Bobby not to give up with a speech that was probably written for Mike.

Carol: Now take Thomas Edison, for instance. Did he quit?
Bobby: No.
Carol: How 'bout the Wright Brothers, did they quit?
Bobby: No.
Carol: And how about Carl Mahakian?
Bobby: Carl Mahakian? Never heard of him.
Carol: That's right, 'cause he quit!​

Greg charitably offers to buy a bottle to look good for graduation, but Bobby insists on helping him use it to make sure that Greg isn't just humoring him. Bobby splits when he sees the result--the tonic having instantly turned Greg's hair orange (obviously a wig).

After Carol avoids explaining to Oliver why Romeos don't have babies...

Oliver: You know something, Cindy?...I think your mom has a problem about discussing sex.​

Bobby tries to avoid his angry oldest brother, who catches up with him in Mike's den, with Carol intervening (also potentially written for Mike). She finds that the Neat & Natural Company's phone has been disconnected, and subsequently that the FDA shut them down. Greg tries unsuccessfully to wash the color out. Carol's solution (which probably was written for Carol) is to take him to a ladies' hair salon, where he wears a ski hat and is embarrassed to be seen by two classmates who are also there to look good for graduation that night, Suzie and Gretchen (Florence Henderson's daughter Barbara Bernstein and Sherwood Schwartz's daughter Hope Sherwood). He makes up a story about being there with his mom, who's secretly bald and wearing a wig.

Cindy learns that she got two Romeos, and the pet shop owner won't take them back; while Bobby starts to pour his bottles of tonic down the sink. When Greg comes back home with his hair dyed its normal color, Bobby accidentally spills some of the tonic on the rabbits, turning them a splotchy orange. Afterward Bobby announces that he was able to sell the rabbits and the tonic to the pet shop owner, who was more interested in selling orange rabbits. Bobby gets the idea to invest his money in a new mail-order scheme to raise worms.

In the coda, the family comes home from Greg's graduation and there's discussion about who'll get his room, Marcia or Peter...with Oliver suggesting that they turn it into a guest room so he can stay in it.

Wiki said:
Robert Reed (Mike Brady) does not appear in this episode due to a dispute over the storyline...which he considered an inane and antiquated cliché. After Reed wrote a lengthy memo to the staff and Paramount, Sherwood Schwartz wrote him out of the episode and later fired him from the series (which was ultimately not renewed for a sixth season).

It'd be intersting to know what they intended to do with Greg if they had gone into another season. They easily enough could have had him attend a community college, but they were indicating otherwise here.

_______

The Odd Couple
"New York's Oddest"
Originally aired March 8, 1974
Wiki said:
Felix and Oscar sign up for security patrol duty, but Felix goes overboard and soon has the entire building hating him.

Felix comes home to excitedly tell Oscar of how he helped deliver a baby (to be named Unger Wu) in Times Square, while nobody else paid any attention. Underscoring the point of Felix's story, Oscar doesn't notice when Felix belatedly faints from the experience. Fortunately, a visitor comes to the door who sees Felix lying on the floor.

Murray (to Oscar): So, you finally did it, huh?​

When a revived Felix bemoans the apathy of the crowds, Murray tells him about a civilian police reserve course, which Felix attends with Miriam. In his usual fashion, the overeager Felix gets on the nerves of the instructor, Sergeant Chomsky (Michael Lerner). Oscar drops in wanting to report how he was mugged on the street to Murray, again with nobody stopping to help...a pair of bystanders having callously taken his cab while it was happening. Murray directs him to an officer on another floor named Cunningham...! Felix comes home feeling empowered after Chomsky picks him out as a judo sparring partner, and reveals that he signed Oscar up to join him on patrol. Felix tries to demonstrate judo, but can't flip Oscar over his shoulder.

After Oscar fails Felix's uniform inspection, the two are going out on patrol when Felix tries to arrest a subletting neighbor he's unfamiliar with named Mort Bennick (Billy Sands), who's carrying his portable TV set out for repair...Felix damaging the set further by causing Bennick to drop it before the neighbor's identity is verified by his wife (Lassie Ahern). At a code seven, Felix is trying to apologize to an embarrassed Oscar when he spots a man walking into the diner with a gun tucked in his belt under his jacket (George Jordan). When Felix flashes his badge, the narcotics detective flashes his back. Felix loudly tells Oscar what the man's profession is, and a couple of patrons vamoose out of the establishment.

Back at the apartment building, Oscar declines to stand watch in the hall with Felix. Felix twice draws the ire of his neighbors by testing his faulty whistle. (I get the impression that Felix may have already drilled them given how they all come out so promptly.) When Felix comes upon an actual stocking-masked burglar, he tries to blow his whistle but nobody comes. Oscar later comes out to apologize and finds Felix tied and gagged in his chair. When the neighbors come out at another whistle blow and learn of Felix's predicament, they applaud.

In the coda, Chomsky bestows a medallion to Felix for having subsequently identified the burglar.

_______

Wow, in 1954. That's fantastic.
You'd know stuff like this if you watched Trains Unlimited.

"All your base are belong to us."
Capped.

I'm picturing naked Norwegians reciting free-form verse on a bare stage with bad reception.
:D

And later covered by the King.

Jeepers! Christie Brinkley is seven years older than me.
I should note that my policy until now in the various eras has been not to include births of future celebrities...but so many good names were coming up in the 70th anniversary timeline that I've decided to make it an exception.

Ike is an interesting character in retrospect. He also was the one who warned about the military-industrial complex.
And the Bay of Pigs operation was initiated on his watch and left in Kennedy's lap.

Ah, now there's a classic.
A creature feature goodie!
(Never mind the leeches and piranhas...)

I love the name Professor Longhair. :rommie:
I find this one underwhelming.

Sounds like the 40s.
Of this season's lame-o trad pop chart-toppers, I found this one the most interesting.

Who needs a bunker? Just paint your house! :rommie:
An astounding bit of commercially motivated propaganda.

You've got to admire the guy. And talk about culture shock. He's like the Buck Rogers of Japan.
He seemed like a pretty likeable guy.

I never even imagined he was a piano player. :rommie:
I wonder if he knows "Midnight Special"?

I think it was syndicated.
It was.

There's an interesting bunch.
I can't recall ever reading that Nimoy was there, and I'm sure I would have noticed that.

Uh oh....
The manager was confused when Lawford referred to the drunken, heckling Beatle as "Ringo".

Okay, he just crossed the line into unforgivable.
He makes up for this.

I can't wait to see how he avoids deportation. If he does.
We know that he didn't get deported.

The Troubadour Incident Part 3 - Aftermath

This comes straight from Chapter 7 of Harry Nilsson's biography and I'll let the participant explain what happened next.

Nilsson, who had followed Lennon out into the street after the fray, realized he would have to mobilize himself and his friends to protect Lennon's name. His thoughts immediately turned to Jimmy Webb, who said:

"I remember it very well, because they came over to my house the next morning. And Harry again - it was one of those - when Harry wakes you up at nine o'clock in the morning, you know there's trouble. There's something up. He's either gonna steal your car, or something untoward is going to happen. He woke me up at nine o'clock and he says, 'What're you doin'? I need you to go with me right now.'
I said, 'Are your crazy? What's going on?'
He said, 'I've got John Lennon in the car.' He said, 'C'mon, c'mon!' I went downstairs and sure enough he had a limousine, and in the back of the limousine was Mr. Lennon. And he says, 'You gotta go with us downtown. John's gotta give a deposition in front of an attorney.' I said, 'Why on earth do I need to go?' He said, 'Because you were at The Troubadour last night, with us, and you saw the whole thing. And John never laid the glove on anybody. Got that?' So here I am in the back of a limo, going downtown to the attorney with John and Harry and I'm going, 'Let's see, what's my story again?' Terrifying because I am going to perjure myself. But you see, there was a code. An inflexible, unbreakable code. And it was the power and a strength that came along with Harry . . . anyone who loved him and was his friend did whatever he wanted them to do. Whenever he wanted them to do it."

In an effort to placate the Smothers Brothers and the club owner Doug Weston, Lennon and Harry sent them apologetic notes attached to bunches of carnations and chrysanthemums. Eventually, after a two week investigation, Robert Immerman, the Deputy District Attorney, dropped the charges against Lennon on the basis of insufficient evidence. Lennon would be allowed to stay in the country a little while longer while his imigration status was sorted out; but he was on a very short leash with the authorities. Lennon settled out of court with Brenda Perkins for an undisclosed sum.

I discuss the 'Pussy Cats' sessions and Lennon and McCartney's reunion once we get closer to the actual March 28, 1974 date.

In lieu of a recap, the episode commences about 3-1/2 minutes before Part I left off
Ooh, just like a movie serial.

it turns out that his main motivation is getting away from his nagging wife of 22 years.
A lawyer would have been a better move. Is he stoned or did he just crack?

Ethel goads Harvey into killing himself
I guess the cops didn't count on that. I wonder what the charges for this would be, especially since she did it over an official channel.

Harvey resolves to turn himself in and get a reprieve from her in jail.
"What's a guy gotta do to get solitary?"

Mac: So long, Sky King.
There's another show I used to watch with Mom over Saturday breakfast, a long time ago. They also showed Lone Ranger and Rin Tin Tin. This was before the proliferation of retro channels, so I'm not sure what we were watching.

The suspects proceed on foot through residential properties...Malloy startling one of them via P.A., causing him to fall into a pool. He subsequently loses sight of the second suspect, but uniformed officers guided to the suspect's likely whereabouts find him hiding in nearby bushes.
Despite these being like bottle episodes, it seems to me that they must have been more expensive to shoot than normal ones.

Pete: I'll bet it was that way when the radios first came in back in the '30s. I'll bet the guys resisted them at first, but when you found out what you could do with 'em, I'll bet you were all for 'em, weren't you, Mac?
"Watch it, kid, or I'll sic Dan Matthews on your ass."

As Walters and Reed patrol an industrial area by night for 459s, they smell smoke and see a house on fire.
I wonder how realistic this is. It seems to me that a fire big enough to be smelled from a helicopter would already be obvious to the people in the house and the neighbors.

Reed notes to Walters that he plans to recommend that the air units be familiarized with which units are available in the areas they're patrolling.
They always portray Reed as an idea man. I just remembered one where he suggested putting the unit numbers on the roofs of the cars for the benefit of the choppers.

David Cutter (Andy Robinson)
Garak? Maybe?

Cutter describes his childhood and argues in favor of learning to trust people.
"So whattaya say I just meet you back in Frisco?"

The plane is delayed when it makes an unscheduled landing in Reno due to a malfunction
The pilots are in on it too!

The Chief calls Ed from Frisco airport with an update that he plans to charter a plane to Reno to pick them up
There must be official ways of transporting prisoners. I'm finding all this kind of hard to swallow. Especially since they're crossing State lines, you'd think Federal marshals or even the FBI would be involved.

Back at Reno, the well-informed man, who's apparently a Five-O fan, slips into the restroom to fit a silencer on his .357 Magnum!
That must have been a pretty big silencer. :rommie:

But outside the restroom, the gunman--identified afterward as Tim Waller, suspected of having racketeering connections--is picked up and disarmed by security personnel who've been tipped off by Smithers.
Okay, I don't understand this.

But when Ed notices that they're being tailed, he has the driver take them onto an old dirt road and let them out, heading to an abandoned bar nearby that the driver knows about.
Has Ed lost his marbles?

the local sheriff (George Murdock)
Not an evil admiral.

the Chief suspects foul play, and notices that the car's odometer has several unaccounted-for miles on it since it left Reno Airport.
How could he possibly notice this? :rommie:

Ed hears on the radio about Kelly's death
What radio? The deserted bar has a working radio?

At the bar, Ed and Cutter get an unexpected visitor, a prospector named Pete Wilson who says that he uses the bar occasionally (Bill Zuckert)
For one brief shining moment, I thought it would be Jim Backus. :rommie:

Wilson leaves the pair cuffed to a pipe, and is spotted by the syndicate duo and beaten for info.
It seems like he would have just given them up without needing to be convinced.

The Sheriff takes TI and Cutter back to Reno Airport, where Ed approaches Smithers and asks him some questions; following which Smithers tries to charter a plane but is taken into the security office to face the Chief, who's determined that he was the "Mr. Smith" who hired the hitmen and previously Cutter.
I have to say, this one seemed like kind of a mess.

Bobby gets a package of hair tonic that he ordered for selling, thinking that it will make him rich. Inspired to work a scheme of her own, Cindy gets a pair of rabbits named Romeo and Juliet with the intent of breeding them.
Making for kind of a clever title.

Bobby goes door to door with Oliver accompanying him
Has Oliver ever actually done anything in his brief time with the Bradys?

Bobby splits when he sees the result--the tonic having instantly turned Greg's hair orange (obviously a wig).
Didn't this happen to one of the girls before?

Oliver: You know something, Cindy?...I think your mom has a problem about discussing sex.
Wow! On the Bradys? In 1974? :rommie:

She finds that the Neat & Natural Company's phone has been disconnected, and subsequently that the FDA shut them down.
On TV, they see a commercial from Sokolov & Sokolov announcing a class-action lawsuit.

(Florence Henderson's daughter Barbara Bernstein and Sherwood Schwartz's daughter Hope Sherwood).
Cute. I wonder if this was a budget-saving maneuver. Or just Bring-Your-Daughter-To-Work Day. :rommie:

Afterward Bobby announces that he was able to sell the rabbits and the tonic to the pet shop owner, who was more interested in selling orange rabbits.
I hope he split the loot with Cindy.

It'd be intersting to know what they intended to do with Greg if they had gone into another season. They easily enough could have had him attend a community college, but they were indicating otherwise here.
It seems like the show's time had come, all things considered.

Felix comes home to excitedly tell Oscar of how he helped deliver a baby (to be named Unger Wu)
Happy 50th birthday to Unger Wu.

Murray (to Oscar): So, you finally did it, huh?
:rommie:

Oscar drops in wanting to report how he was mugged on the street to Murray, again with nobody stopping to help...a pair of bystanders having callously taken his cab while it was happening.
It's a jungle out there.

Murray directs him to an officer on another floor named Cunningham...!
So that's what happened to Chuck.

When Felix comes upon an actual stocking-masked burglar, he tries to blow his whistle but nobody comes. Oscar later comes out to apologize and finds Felix tied and gagged in his chair. When the neighbors come out at another whistle blow and learn of Felix's predicament, they applaud.
This is another scene I kind of remember. I think they're applauding Oscar because they think he's the one who tied and gagged Felix.

You'd know stuff like this if you watched Trains Unlimited.
There's so much to learn....

I should note that my policy until now in the various eras has been not to include births of future celebrities...but so many good names were coming up in the 70th anniversary timeline that I've decided to make it an exception.
Yeah, that's true. We're only seven years away from my vegetative milestones.

And the Bay of Pigs operation was initiated on his watch and left in Kennedy's lap.
True. People don't generally realize that administrations don't exist in isolation.

A creature feature goodie!
Ah, Julie Adams and her white bathing suit. She should have had sequels of her own. :rommie:

(Never mind the leeches and piranhas...)
Have you ever seen The African Queen?

Of this season's lame-o trad pop chart-toppers, I found this one the most interesting.
I actually like the 40s sound, because it reminds me of old movies.

I wonder if he knows "Midnight Special"?
If only he had teamed up with Elvis. :rommie:

The manager was confused when Lawford referred to the drunken, heckling Beatle as "Ringo".
Oh, that's hilarious. :rommie:

We know that he didn't get deported.
Actually, I know pretty much nothing about the personal lives of the Beatles. Of course, I knew he would have made it back, at least....

I went downstairs and sure enough he had a limousine, and in the back of the limousine was Mr. Lennon.
I wonder what shape Lennon was in. I'm picturing him comatose and snoring.

Terrifying because I am going to perjure myself.
Indeed. Did he ever get in trouble for this?

Robert Immerman, the Deputy District Attorney, dropped the charges against Lennon on the basis of insufficient evidence.
Hmm. That seems a bit too easy.

John also reportedly sent Pam Grier flowers and an apology note.
Flowers and a note would have been my first move as soon as I saw her there. :rommie:

Now I'm wondering how he managed to live as long as he did. :rommie:
Coming back to this, I meant to note that John's behavior was in compliance with the club owner's instruction that they "Mach Schau!"--give their drunken sailor patrons more of a performance than just playing music. And the Beatles were playing their long, late-night sets hopped up on pills.

Ooh, just like a movie serial.
I noticed after my post for Part 1 that Uncle Jack used the episode title "Air Support"...which isn't too big a deal for a show with no onscreen episode titles, though they may have been appearing in TV listings.

A lawyer would have been a better move. Is he stoned or did he just crack?
Stoned in the old sense that he was drunk...and cracking at the same time, it seems.

Despite these being like bottle episodes, it seems to me that they must have been more expensive to shoot than normal ones.
Probably a motivation for not having many guests. There was also some noticeable re-use of shots, including Pete's reaction shots while they were flying around the city.

I wonder how realistic this is. It seems to me that a fire big enough to be smelled from a helicopter would already be obvious to the people in the house and the neighbors.
But people were sleeping.

They always portray Reed as an idea man. I just remembered one where he suggested putting the unit numbers on the roofs of the cars for the benefit of the choppers.
That was in Part 1.

Garak? Maybe?
Yep, that's how he was being billed in those days...when he would have been best known as the serial killer in Dirty Harry.

There must be official ways of transporting prisoners. I'm finding all this kind of hard to swallow. Especially since they're crossing State lines, you'd think Federal marshals or even the FBI would be involved.
It wasn't an uncommon trope in TV at the time to depict prisoners being escorted by a single officer whom they were cuffed to. And they were improvising because of the unscheduled layover.

Okay, I don't understand this.
There was some brief exposition later that Walters was being sacrificed as a diversion or somesuch...though I think it was more for the audience's benefit than Team Ironside's.

Has Ed lost his marbles?
He was trying to shake hitmen who were poised to strike.

How could he possibly notice this? :rommie:
Math.

What radio? The deserted bar has a working radio?
Well, it was ramshackle and untended, but still apparently being used as an outpost/clubhouse by people like the prospector.

I have to say, this one seemed like kind of a mess.
Somewhat.

Has Oliver ever actually done anything in his brief time with the Bradys?
Not too much, for all the fuss. Though we did miss two of his episodes that aren't on P+.

Didn't this happen to one of the girls before?
Not that I can recall offhand. Jan did take to wearing a dark wig in one episode.

Wow! On the Bradys? In 1974? :rommie:
I thought that'd be noteworthy.

Happy 50th birthday to Unger Wu.
4-1/3 years younger than the Smart twins, Jim Reed Jr., and me.

This is another scene I kind of remember. I think they're applauding Oscar because they think he's the one who tied and gagged Felix.
Ah, maybe.

There's so much to learn....
There was a lot of resistance to diesel engines because they cut down train crews from five men to two and pretty much changed the whole working lifestyle.

Yeah, that's true. We're only seven years away from my vegetative milestones.
:lol: By which point one of this season's new arrivals will already be a beloved TV celebrity.

True. People don't generally realize that administrations don't exist in isolation.
And yet it all worked out, like destiny...the Bay of Pigs fiasco was a vital learning experience for Kennedy in how not to handle the Cuban Missile Crisis...and thus we're here to talk about it.

Have you ever seen The African Queen?
I did catch that a few years back, but my memory of the details is vague.

Oh, that's hilarious. :rommie:
It was just a funny, so thank you. I was riffing on the recurring SNL gag of having Rat Packers refer to Dana Carvey's Paul as Ringo.

Actually, I know pretty much nothing about the personal lives of the Beatles. Of course, I knew he would have made it back, at least....
Well, you did recently post how different things might have been if he'd been deported.

Indeed. Did he ever get in trouble for this?
Guess they're safe coming out about it decades later...the California statute of limitations for perjury is three years.

Flowers and a note would have been my first move as soon as I saw her there. :rommie:
John's note reportedly read, "Thank you for not beating me up." :lol:

Last edited:
Indeed. Did he ever get in trouble for this? Hmm. That seems a bit too easy.

My Nilsson and Lennon books don't go into any detail as to why the charges were dropped; however, if I were to guess, it probably representented a bad incident all around and everyone wanted to move past it as quickly as possible. John and Harry had appologized to the parties involved and the Smothers Brothers came to John's defense at the hearing.
I'm sure the Assistant DA knew that Webb was lying, based upon interviewing other witnesses in the Troubadour that night, but what would have fining and jailing Webb have done. I'm sure there was other more pressing cases that needed his attention.
The immediate after-effect was that John remained mostly clean and sober the rest of his time in L.A. and would focus his energies on producing Harry's new album 'Pussy Cats.'

Last edited:
We lost a Pop Rock pioneer today. Eric Carmen of the Raspberries died in his sleep over the weekend at the age of 74.

John Lennon was apparently a fan.

Lennon-Raspberries.jpg

This photo was taken during the recording of Nilsson's 'Pussy Cats' sessions in late-March/early-April 1974. According to Eric Carmen in his autobiography, he participated in the sessions by adding backing vocals to 'Loop de Loop' and 'Rock Around the Clock' to help enhance/sweeten Nilsson's flagging voice.

Eric also says in biography, that, once back in New York, working on his 'Walls and Bridges' album in the summer of 1974, Lennon, who was in the same building, stopped by the studio during a break in recording to lend an uncredited hand in the production of the Raspberries album 'Starting Over', by offering suggestions as to how the songs should be mixed.

This year marks the 50th Anniversary of the Raspberries final album 'Starting Over'. Rolling Stone magazine would rank it their number one album of the year in their 1974 'end of year' review.

After the Raspberries broke up in 1974, Eric had a Number 2 hit with the song 'All By Myself' in December 1975. It would be his highest charting single.

Eric would return to the Top Ten thirteen years later with the song 'Hungry Eyes' from the soundtrack to the movie Dirty Dancing.

I wouldn't call it one of my biggest regrets, but The Raspberries played at Disneyland's 'House of Blues' on their reunion tour the week after my family and I visited in 2005. I would have found a way to go. I've read the show was phenomenal.

Last edited:
Coming back to this, I meant to note that John's behavior was in compliance with the club owner's instruction that they "Mach Schau!"--give their drunken sailor patrons more of a performance than just playing music. And the Beatles were playing their long, late-night sets hopped up on pills.
I'll bet he regretted those instructions. :rommie:

I noticed after my post for Part 1 that Uncle Jack used the episode title "Air Support"...which isn't too big a deal for a show with no onscreen episode titles, though they may have been appearing in TV listings.
I didn't notice that either. Weird, since neither title was especially compelling.

Stoned in the old sense that he was drunk...and cracking at the same time, it seems.
Yeah. :rommie:

But people were sleeping.
Yeah, but think about what it's like for them-- up in the sky, in a bubble, the blades blowing air away from them, making noise (which distracts the other senses). For them to smell it under those conditions, it would have to be some rip-roaring blaze.

That was in Part 1.
Aha. Cool.

Yep, that's how he was being billed in those days...when he would have been best known as the serial killer in Dirty Harry.
Right, I remember that.

It wasn't an uncommon trope in TV at the time to depict prisoners being escorted by a single officer whom they were cuffed to. And they were improvising because of the unscheduled layover.
I need to remember to research this. I'm curious if it was ever actually done.

He was trying to shake hitmen who were poised to strike.
Seems like he's just making it easier for them to dispose of the bodies by heading willy nilly into the desert.

Well, yeah, but it seems kind of random. He would have to get the starting mileage from the rental place and compare it to the wreck-- and what would it really tell him? They may have made a stop at McDonald's or something.

Well, it was ramshackle and untended, but still apparently being used as an outpost/clubhouse by people like the prospector.
Ah, okay.

Not too much, for all the fuss. Though we did miss two of his episodes that aren't on P+.
Those must be his episodes. Maybe that's why they're not on there. :rommie:

Not that I can recall offhand. Jan did take to wearing a dark wig in one episode.
It seems familiar. Must be another show.

There was a lot of resistance to diesel engines because they cut down train crews from five men to two and pretty much changed the whole working lifestyle.
Technology will take all our jobs!

:lol: By which point one of this season's new arrivals will already be a beloved TV celebrity.
A child star in 1961? Hmm.

And yet it all worked out, like destiny...the Bay of Pigs fiasco was a vital learning experience for Kennedy in how not to handle the Cuban Missile Crisis...and thus we're here to talk about it.
We should always remember how lucky we've been-- multiple times. :rommie:

I did catch that a few years back, but my memory of the details is vague.
There's a scene with leeches, with Bogart at the top of his game.

It was just a funny, so thank you. I was riffing on the recurring SNL gag of having Rat Packers refer to Dana Carvey's Paul as Ringo.
I wasn't familiar with that. Still hilarious. :rommie:

John's note reportedly read, "Thank you for not beating me up." :lol:
That's great. :rommie:

if I were to guess, it probably representented a bad incident all around and everyone wanted to move past it as quickly as possible.
True.

I'm sure the Assistant DA knew that Webb was lying, based upon interviewing other witnesses in the Troubadour that night, but what would have fining and jailing Webb have done.
Also true.

The immediate after-effect was that John remained mostly clean and sober the rest of his time in L.A. and would focus his energies on producing Harry's new album 'Pussy Cats.'
Scared straight!

We lost a Pop Rock pioneer today. Eric Carmen of the Raspberries died in his sleep over the weekend at the age of 74.
I certainly remember him for "All By Myself," which is a great song. I'm not sure if I knew he was part of the Raspberries. I was going to say there's quite a different sound, but, upon reflection, it's really not. RIP, Eric Carmen.

We lost a Pop Rock pioneer today.
I think this actually broke Monday night. I meant to mention it.

I'll bet he regretted those instructions. :rommie:
The boys also had the club's bouncer, Horst Fascher, looking out for them.

Right, I remember that.
Come Eleven, Come Twelve (1974) (imdb.com)

Seems like he's just making it easier for them to dispose of the bodies by heading willy nilly into the desert.
More of a brushy woods.

Well, yeah, but it seems kind of random. He would have to get the starting mileage from the rental place and compare it to the wreck-- and what would it really tell him? They may have made a stop at McDonald's or something.
That's exactly what he did...and when he pressed the sheriff for distance info, it came to a difference of about 12 miles, I think.

Those must be his episodes. Maybe that's why they're not on there. :rommie:
He's in good company with Davy Jones.

A child star in 1961? Hmm.

There's a scene with leeches, with Bogart at the top of his game.
I looked it up, and yeah, that vaguely rings a bell.

I wasn't familiar with that. Still hilarious. :rommie:
From my viewing experience, it started with Phil Hartman as Sinatra and occurred at least once more with Tom Hanks guesting as Dean Martin. There may have been other incidents. But if you never saw Dana Carvey's Paul, that was a real hoot! This was ca. 1990, when Paul was in the media a lot because he was back out on tour for the first time in over a decade.

Found one of them:
Watch Saturday Night Live Clip: The Global Warming Christmas Special - NBC.com

Last edited:
Back