The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

What a shame. That must have been absolutely heartbreaking. Was there some issue with marketing or something, or was it just a matter of not meshing with the current trends?

What the hell? I wonder what it is about these guys that makes critics love them but the public indifferent.

I don't know. Acts like Badfinger, Big Star, and The Raspberries seem tailor made for the AM market, with their short hook filled singles, yet never really gained any traction, except for a small, loyal fanbase.

Badfinger and The Raspberries had the added weight of major labels behind them to promote their material, but never really achieved any lasting success, except for the odd hit single or two.

Big Star was signed to the Adent label, a small studio based in Memphis, that was mostly known for their recording studio and mastering/pressing plant (Jimmy Page mixed 'Led Zeppelin III' there in August 1970); they simply didn't have the financial resources to market and distribute new acts. According to the liner notes for the box set, only a handful of records made it to major markets like New York and L.A.

That, coupled with the fact that the band refused to tour to promote the album, due in part to Alex's reluctance to go out on the road following his whirlwind years in the Box Tops (I can count on one hand the number of live dates they performed, both as a four piece and trio, in their short time they were together), hampered Ardent's chances to break them out to a wider audience.

By the time they were back in the studio to record their second album, Ardent had signed a distribution deal with another Memphis based label, Stax Records; home of Otis Redding, Booker T. and the MG's and Issac Hayes. They had the financial wherewithal to promote and distribute acts such as Big Star.

However, by the time Ardent signed the deal with Stax, Stax had signed their own distribution deal with CBS Records, in order to gain the financial backing to compete with Berry Gordy's Motown label, and CBS was more interested in Stax's roster of performers than Ardent's, and once again, Big Star got lost in the shuffle.

By the time Alex and Jody returned to the studio to record their third album, the distribution deal with Stax had fallen apart and Ardent and Stax both declared bankruptcy; the recording sessions ground to a halt and the tapes were shelved until Ardent could get out of bankruptcy.

By then, Alex and Jody had finally thrown in the towel and weren't interested in revisiting the album, so it was never properly finished and sequenced.; by 1978 the small PVC label purchased the tapes, took the best songs from the sessions, and released the album under the title 'Third'/'Sister Lovers'; again to critical success, but few sales.

As the punditry goes, only 10,000 people bought their albums, but every one of them formed a band. Which is an argument for "greatest of all time" lists having an age limit on entries...whether or not something proves to have been influential can take time.

Those albums were bought, sold and traded several times over, with some copies even making their way across the pond. My box set 'Children of Nuggets' by Rhino, collects four CDs of bands from the eighties and nineties, from the US, UK, Japan and Europe, and is full of songs influenced by acts such as Badfinger, Big Star and The Raspberries.

Last edited:
The series' stereotypes became the de facto representation of black people on TV, commercials, etc.
I don't really remember any other characters like JJ on TV. I remember characters like The Jeffersons, Harris on Barney Miller, Dobey on Starsky & Hutch. Maybe Huggy fits the stereotype, but he was cool and a realistic character (and a good guy). Benson. The cast of What's Happening. The police chief on Carter Country, if anybody remembers that one. :rommie: I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. But aside from being a charismatic actor with a catchphrase, like the Fonz or Squiggy, I don't think JJ made that much of an impression.

That was a generally white media-fueled response, which angered many black people
I think the point of the Cosby critics was that it glossed over the fact that many Blacks still lived in poverty. On the other side were the people who felt that Good Times perpetuated negative stereotypes. I kinda side with Cosby, because I think that art should be inspirational, but I also like to think that both camps were mostly well meaning. But my point was that no matter what you do, people are going to gripe about it. :rommie:

Reed arrives late for roll call because he's dealing with the after-effects of having fallen asleep in the sun, which include having to wear his shoes untied.
Take a couple of days off, Officer Reed, you are unfit for duty. :rommie:

On patrol, the officers come upon a traffic accident in which one car has back-ended another, the rear of the front vehicle being in an obligatorily state of combustion.
"Everybody get back! It's a Pinto!"

We don't need no stinkin' paramedics!
This is starting to get suspicious....

Jim consults a doctor (Sam Chu Lin) about treating his condition.
"Take a couple of days off, Officer Reed, you're unfit for duty."

Reed takes his seven in the station's locker room, soaking his feet.
Come on, it's a half-hour show but it's not a sitcom. :rommie:

(Don't they need a warrant for that?)
Maybe it's a probable cause thing? Was he doing something suspicious? Or was it an abandoned building?

The narc dicks being conveniently busy
They're having lunch with the paramedics.

It turns out that the driver, Theodore Gunderson (Tom Geas), is the husband of the Volkswagen owner, the two of them having recently moved from Indiana, and Gunderson realizes that when he got their new plates, he must have put them on the wrong vehicles.
Cute. But, of course, the outcome of the 211 is lost to history. :rommie:

Reed dives in and pulls out each boy in turn
While Malloy just watches? :rommie: I've had one really bad sunburn in my life, courtesy of Daytona Beach, and if I had jumped into a lake at that time I probably would have died of hypothermia.

Vincent Gordon (Keene Curtis)
A well-know character actor.

having gotten wind of the pattern from colleagues at the other banks.
I wonder what that entailed exactly, especially since this was apparently happening so quickly. If the other bank guys had suspicions, shouldn't they have confirmed the withdrawals with their clients?

he spots that the heavy is holding a gun on Gordon.
Which is odd in retrospect.

The stakes rise when McGarrett is informed that the civilian shot by the driver at the bank was Congressman Chang, who's since died.
That seems a wholly unnecessary plot contrivance.

McGarrett decides to stay on the ship with Danno, Duke, and Gordon in order to flush the killer out.
It seems like every cop show in the 70s had to have a cruise ship episode, but I like how this unfolded.

Elena Lewis (Gail Strickland)
Another well-known character actor.

has champagne brought to McGarrett, which he declines to indulge in.
He's on duty!

Meeting her later in the corridor, he learns that she's a curious feature writer who's well aware of who he is...
She also seems to be a subplot that goes nowhere.

Gordon is shot at twice through the door of the cabin where he's being guarded by Duke, which leaves him frightened but unharmed.
Reckless and weird, again in retrospect.

The black bag of interest is found, now only containing the driver's straw hat
Because there's no easy way to dispose of evidence on a cruise ship. :rommie:

and is revealed to be Fallon, who's addressed by McGarrett remotely via speaker, informing him he's under arrest.
"This is Steven, your cruise director...."

Steve: Frisk him, Danno.
Water, water, everywhere, but nobody goes in the drink.

While Fallon is being driven away, it seems like everything's over when McGarrett has a local detective take Gordon into custody--accusing him of having been Fallon's partner all along, having been tipped off by powder burns on Gordon's jacket when he was supposed to have been fired at while fleeing.
A twist that seems contradicted by the way most of the scenes were played early on. I have to admit, though, I always enjoy these cruise ship episodes. :rommie:

Five-O's phone number is spoken aloud in this episode. A quick search indicates that this number was used several times on the show, both as Five-O's and that of a cab company. And, regretfully, it was note a fictious 555 number, but an actual one in use by an unsuspecting citizen, and apparently still is.
"867-5309, 867-5309...." You'd think that sort of thing would be illegal. I also wonder why they did it, and with the same number, when the 555 thing is a trope. Maybe it was somebody Jack Lord had a grudge against or something. :rommie:

He gives her a reasonable answer of mild discouragement.
"Nothing matters, kid, including drugs."

Ed calls the Chief, who's coming down with something and being nursed by Fran.
Working a real cold into the script, I presume. :rommie:

Laura requested on her tape that the professor deliver the eulogy at her funeral.
It's too bad this wasn't more a part of the story.

Fran searches Laura's room, finds David hiding in the closet, and questions him about his whereabouts at the time of the attempted hit and run.
"Right here. In the closet."

Malachi Throne, who was on TOS before he was on TNG
I know, I know. :rommie: But don't forget It Takes A Thief.

David accuses him of being a phoney who lacks a soul and doesn't believe in caring.
Kind of the definition of a nihilist. :rommie:

The Chief visits the Barrots, after which he identifies Reggie as former L.A. mobster Sam Barcotti, who was known to use a wiley hitman who was never identified.
Now there's a dad you don't want to make angry.

something unclearly makes Reggie realize that his daughter's going to be at the funeral (Duh!)
Yeah. A little wrapped up in himself, I guess.

In the aftermath, the Chief implies that Sonia's thesis may have threatened to expose her father...or maybe just turned her against him...which motivated Barrot to go after MacDane. This also wasn't completely clear.
Kind of disappointing if it was just self interest, but he was a mobster after all.

Overall, this one came off as sloppily executed and not fully baked. It seemed like it wanted to be a more compelling episode than it was.
Yeah, they had it all set up for a nice commentary on nihilism and the professor's potential culpability in the kid's death. I don't think he had any, but they had the conflict all set up with the boyfriend and the roommate and it just fizzled. And apparently no character development for the professor either.

Lou: Oh...that's lovely. I like everyone in my newsroom to have a hobby.
:rommie:

Lou confronts Ted in his dressing room after the show, initially out for blood, but he doesn't go through with it.
That would have made for a very different episode. :rommie:

Mary tells him and Georgette what her assignment is about--an interesting experience that she had with a date for a high school dance, which she felt at the time was ruined when her date took an injured animal to the vet. Back in class, Ted is picked to read first, and his assignment turns out to be Mary's story told from the viewpoint of her date--which is actually pretty clever and creative, though he botches the point of the story...that Mary's date was the more mature one because he didn't care if Mary blamed him for spoiling her evening.
I remember this. :rommie:

In the coda, it's Mary's turn to read, and she uses it to tell off Ted in front of the class--which we only see the preamble of, with Mary ordering everyone to stay in their seats when the bell rings.
Even Mary can be pushed too far. :rommie:

Fellow shrink Dr. Walburn from the ninth floor (Perry) pretends to be visiting Bob's office socially when he's actually seeing Bob as a patient.
This is interesting and would have made a nice recurring element.

Miss Brennan (Garr)
Roberta Lincoln and the girl from Young Frankenstein. Also, the receptionist on McCloud.

Jerry clams up, trying to run out the clock on his session.
How about, "This is inappropriate, let's reschedule the appointment?" :rommie:

When pressed, he indicates that Bob is the one person he can't talk to about his issue. Bob encourages Jerry to pretend that he's Dr. Walburn, and Jerry soon confesses that he's in love with Bob Hartley's wife.
Y'know, my ability to suspend belief has its limits. :rommie:

it turns out that Emily knows that Jerry's become infatuated with him, and is flattered about it.
"All men love me, Bob. I'm played by Suzanne Pleshette."

The next day, Walburn's back to seeing Bob, and explains that he didn't realize it was Jerry's day.
"Maybe you guys should have just done the smart thing and rescheduled his appointment."

Miss Brennan subsequently comes down to ask Bob about some files that have come up missing, and Jerry promptly takes an interest in her.
Not realizing that she's with the DOJ and is really just after Bob about the missing files.

In the coda, it comes out that Carol has constructed a soap opera-ish scenario in her head to explain everyone's mysterious behavior over the past few days.
Possibly more interesting than the actual episode. :rommie:

Cullen Bohannon!
Capped, I think. I assume it's his character on Hell on Wheels, which you mentioned before.

As the punditry goes, only 10,000 people bought their albums, but every one of them formed a band.
If there's a Rock'n'Roll Heaven, maybe that's enough for them.

Airplane! never gets old. :rommie:

Big Star was signed to the Adent label, a small studio based in Memphis, that was mostly known for their recording studio and mastering/pressing plant (Jimmy Page mixed 'Led Zeppelin III' there in August 1970); they simply didn't have the financial resources to market and distribute new acts. According to the liner notes for the box set, only a handful of records made it to major markets like New York and L.A.

That, coupled with the fact that the band refused to tour to promote the album, due in part to Alex's reluctance to go out on the road following his whirlwind years in the Box Tops (I can count on one hand the number of live dates they performed, both as a four piece and trio, in their short time they were together), hampered Ardent's chances to break them out to a wider audience.

By the time they were back in the studio to record their second album, Ardent had signed a distribution deal with another Memphis based label, Stax Records; home of Otis Redding, Booker T. and the MG's and Issac Hayes. They had the financial wherewithal to promote and distribute acts such as Big Star.

However, by the time Ardent signed the deal with Stax, Stax had signed their own distribution deal with CBS Records, in order to gain the financial backing to compete with Berry Gordy's Motown label, and CBS was more interested in Stax's roster of performers than Ardent's, and once again, Big Star got lost in the shuffle.

By the time Alex and Jody returned to the studio to record their third album, the distribution deal with Stax had fallen apart and Ardent and Stax both declared bankruptcy; the recording sessions ground to a halt and the tapes were shelved until Ardent could get out of bankruptcy.

By then, Alex and Jody had finally thrown in the towel and weren't interested in revisiting the album, so it was never properly finished and sequenced.; by 1978 the small PVC label purchased the tapes, took the best songs from the sessions, and released the album under the title 'Third'/'Sister Lovers'; again to critical success, but few sales.
Man, these guys had the worst luck. I feel bad for them.

Come on, it's a half-hour show but it's not a sitcom. :rommie:
I didn't even mention the part where Pete declined to eat with him because of the locale.

Maybe it's a probable cause thing? Was he doing something suspicious? Or was it an abandoned building?
A crack house in a rundown neighborhood.

While Malloy just watches? :rommie:
He tended to the first boy short of CPR...rubbing his legs and such.
I've had one really bad sunburn in my life, courtesy of Daytona Beach, and if I had jumped into a lake at that time I probably would have died of hypothermia.
I believe Reed made a comment that it helped cool him off.

Which is odd in retrospect.
Not necessarily...Gordon could tell it was going south and it was helping to establish his alibi.

That seems a wholly unnecessary plot contrivance.
Indeed, it seemed to have been extracted from somebody's rectum.

He's on duty!
They were playing it like poison paranoia.

She also seems to be a subplot that goes nowhere.
A red herring. I maybe should have kept a note about how when Fallon was sneaking around doing stuff before he was identified, he looked pretty slender and was gloved, both typically flags that the mystery figure is a woman.

Reckless and weird, again in retrospect.
Again, arranged to sell his alibi.

Because there's no easy way to dispose of evidence on a cruise ship. :rommie:
Nothing gets on or off that ship without McGarrett knowing about it!

"This is Steven, your cruise director...."
Unfortunately, no...

Water, water, everywhere, but nobody goes in the drink.
IKR?

Working a real cold into the script, I presume. :rommie:
Possibly...or maybe just giving an excuse for him not to be as involved.

I know, I know. :rommie: But don't forget It Takes A Thief.
I did, actually, but I don't know if I've ever seen it. One of the retro channels may have been playing it years back.

Kind of the definition of a nihilist. :rommie:
Looking it up, I think he was actually an existentialist, which is what one episode summary pointed to.

Yeah. A little wrapped up in himself, I guess.
I'm not motivated to go back and look for it, but it's possible that Bain didn't know where Eddie planned to strike, but belatedly realized from the timing that it was going to be on the day of the funeral.

Yeah, they had it all set up for a nice commentary on nihilism and the professor's potential culpability in the kid's death. I don't think he had any, but they had the conflict all set up with the boyfriend and the roommate and it just fizzled. And apparently no character development for the professor either.
He had his little showcases of philosophical rambling, including the eulogy, but I pretty much zoned out during that stuff. This was where I think they thought this guy and the word soup coming out of his mouth were more compelling than they were.

That would have made for a very different episode. :rommie:
Asner got some good scenery chewing out of it.

I remember this. :rommie:
It's always nice when somebody else has watched the episode...even if it was 40 or 50 years ago.

Roberta Lincoln and the girl from Young Frankenstein. Also, the receptionist on McCloud.
Not to mention Tootsie--Oscar nom.

Y'know, my ability to suspend belief has its limits. :rommie:
Yep. The whole situation seemed pretty forced and out of nowhere. Not as bad as a random congressman getting shot trying to play hero, though.

Not realizing that she's with the DOJ and is really just after Bob about the missing files.
The gag was that she assumed he stole them, and he assumed that she misfiled them.

Possibly more interesting than the actual episode. :rommie:

Carol (in conspiratorial tone): Because you, Doctor Walburn, and Jerry were thinking of making a business investment together. However, Emily got wind of this, and did not like it one bit, because she completely distrusts Doctor Walburn, as well she should. So she asked Jerry to get more information about him by dating his secretary, Miss Brennan, who is obviously incapable of relaying information of any kind. So the deal is off, am I right, Bob?
Bob (slightly shaking head): That's amazing.​

Capped, I think. I assume it's his character on Hell on Wheels, which you mentioned before.
Yehhhp.

Last edited:
A crack house in a rundown neighborhood.
A known den of iniquity may count as probable cause, I don't know.

I believe Reed made a comment that it helped cool him off.
My sunburn just sucked the heat right out of me. Going into an air-conditioned restaurant was like visiting the Arctic. Later came the itching....

Not necessarily...Gordon could tell it was going south and it was helping to establish his alibi.
Yeah, that's true.

Indeed, it seemed to have been extracted from somebody's rectum.

They were playing it like poison paranoia.
Interesting.

A red herring. I maybe should have kept a note about how when Fallon was sneaking around doing stuff before he was identified, he looked pretty slender and was gloved, both typically flags that the mystery figure is a woman.
Ah, okay.

Again, arranged to sell his alibi.
Shooting at a guy with a bodyguard on a crowded cruise ship is taking a huge chance, though.

Nothing gets on or off that ship without McGarrett knowing about it!
"My McGarrett sense is tingling! Evidence is going in the drink!"

Unfortunately, no...
:D

I did, actually, but I don't know if I've ever seen it. One of the retro channels may have been playing it years back.
I don't remember ever seeing it on a retro channel schedule. Which is a shame, because I remember it being really cool.

I'm not motivated to go back and look for it, but it's possible that Bain didn't know where Eddie planned to strike, but belatedly realized from the timing that it was going to be on the day of the funeral.
Okay, I can buy that.

He had his little showcases of philosophical rambling, including the eulogy, but I pretty much zoned out during that stuff. This was where I think they thought this guy and the word soup coming out of his mouth were more compelling than they were.
Yeah, that's too bad.

Asner got some good scenery chewing out of it.
He had a big appetite for that. :rommie:

It's always nice when somebody else has watched the episode...even if it was 40 or 50 years ago.
I've seen all the MTM and BH episodes, but I don't always have such strong recollections.

Not to mention Tootsie--Oscar nom.
I never saw that one.

Yep. The whole situation seemed pretty forced and out of nowhere. Not as bad as a random congressman getting shot trying to play hero, though.
That congressman was very weird. :rommie:

The gag was that she assumed he stole them, and he assumed that she misfiled them.
Better check his bathroom!

Carol (in conspiratorial tone): Because you, Doctor Walburn, and Jerry were thinking of making a business investment together. However, Emily got wind of this, and did not like it one bit, because she completely distrusts Doctor Walburn, as well she should. So she asked Jerry to get more information about him by dating his secretary, Miss Brennan, who is obviously incapable of relaying information of any kind. So the deal is off, am I right, Bob?
Bob (slightly shaking head): That's amazing.​
Okay, that's also pretty boring. Should have thrown in some space aliens or something.

Man, these guys had the worst luck. I feel bad for them.

You owe it to yourself to listen to the first two albums. See if your local library might have a copy of them. If not, the albums are pretty cheap and easy to find. You can purchase the 'two-fer' for less than $10 on Amazon.

Shooting at a guy with a bodyguard on a crowded cruise ship is taking a huge chance, though.
There was nobody in the corridor and they presumably arranged it so Gordon would know where to stand and when. I should clarify, the shots were taken through the closed cabin door.

"My McGarrett sense is tingling! Evidence is going in the drink!"
Visualized by his bangs twitching...just a little.

Yeah, that's too bad.
YMMV. An IMDb reviewer thought that it was really deep. It felt like the philosophy equivalent of technobabble to me...like you could have plugged in different lectures without changing the story. And I just didn't find the actor's delivery very compelling.

I never saw that one.
On home video when it was practically new.

Okay, that's also pretty boring. Should have thrown in some space aliens or something.
It was all in the delivery.

You owe it to yourself to listen to the first two albums. See if your local library might have a copy of them. If not, the albums are pretty cheap and easy to find. You can purchase the 'two-fer' for less than $10 on Amazon.
Cool. I found it, and it's in my Shopping Cart.

There was nobody in the corridor and they presumably arranged it so Gordon would know where to stand and when. I should clarify, the shots were taken through the closed cabin door.
He fired blindly through the door? I'm thinking he might have really wanted the guy dead. :rommie:

Visualized by his bangs twitching...just a little.
Heh. :rommie:

YMMV. An IMDb reviewer thought that it was really deep. It felt like the philosophy equivalent of technobabble to me...like you could have plugged in different lectures without changing the story. And I just didn't find the actor's delivery very compelling.
That's the thing. It should have had an effect on the story or the character.

On home video when it was practically new.
A mainstream movie with Dustin Hoffman-- even Geena Davis couldn't make it look interesting to me. :rommie:

It was all in the delivery.
True, the actor can really sell it and Marcia Wallace has the pizzazz.

50 Years Ago This Week

March 3
  • At 12:41 in the afternoon local time, Turkish Airlines Flight 981 crashed in the woods near the Paris suburb of Ermenonville in France, killing all 346 people aboard. The DC-10 departed from Orly Airport in Paris at 12:30 on its flight to London, and experienced an explosive decompression at an altitude of almost 23,000 feet (7,000 m), blowing off the rear cargo door and sending six passengers to their deaths in a field near Saint-Pathus. The cables controlling the aircraft's elevators and rudder were severed. The aircraft crashed into the forest 77 seconds after the explosion, at a speed of 487 miles per hour (784 km/h).
  • The first episode of the science show Nova was broadcast on television as a production of WGBH-TV in Boston.

March 4
  • Israel completed the first phase of its withdrawal from the Sinai peninsula, pulling back eight miles to the Great Bitter Lake and giving Egypt control of both sides of the Suez Canal for the first time since the Six-Day War in June 1967. After Israel turned the territory over to the United Nations Emergency Force 24 hours ahead of schedule, Egyptian troops moved in at 6:00 in the morning local time.

March 5
  • Died: Billy De Wolfe (stage name for William Andrew Jones), 67, American film and stage comedian and actor

March 6
  • France's Prime Minister Pierre Messmer announced his government's decision to implement the Tout-nucléaire ("Total Nuclear") plan for all electricity in France to be generated by nuclear reactors by the year 2000. The plan, announced by Messmer in a televised speech, required no approval from parliament or debate, and construction began on the first three plants later in the year. By 1990, 56 reactors had been activated by 1990.
  • The government of North Vietnam returned the bodies of 12 U.S. servicemen who had died while held prisoner of war in Hanoi. The exchange took place at the Gia Lam airport in Hanoi, where two U.S. Air Force C-130 transports were allowed to land. Among the persons whose remains were returned was Lance Sijan, who had ejected from his disabled F-4 Phantom II on November 9, 1967, was severely injured, and died in the Hoa Lo Prison on January 22, 1968. U.S. Army First Lieutenant Sijan would be awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously on March 4, 1976.
  • Mary Brooks, director of the United States Mint, unveiled the design of the bicentennial quarter and two other temporary redesigns for the Kennedy half dollar and the Eisenhower dollar, to be issued during 1976, the celebration year for the 200th anniversary of the U.S. Declaration of Independence. The winning design for the 1976 quarter was submitted by Jack L. Ahr while the 50 cent and one dollar coins were designed by Seth Huntington and Dennis R. Williams, respectively.

March 7
  • An oceanographer at Duke University in the U.S. announced confirmation at in Durham, North Carolina, that the American warship USS Monitor had been located on August 27, almost 111 years after it sank (on December 31, 1862) in the Atlantic off of Cape Hatteras and the state of North Carolina.

March 8
  • The U.S. television sitcom The Brady Bunch ended its five-season run after the broadcast of its 117th and final original episode before entering re-runs. Since the ABC network hadn't yet announced its 1974-75 schedule, the season closer was a regular episode. ABC canceled the show on April 24.

March 9
  • In South Vietnam, a mortar shell fired by the Viet Cong, killed 23 young students, ranging from 8 to 12 years old, at an elementary school playground at Cai Lay. The Viet Cong had apparently been aiming at a nearby military compound and had missed. Another nine children died of their injuries after being hospitalized.
  • The Soviet Union's Mars 7 lander was released behind schedule during the Mars 7 flyby when it initially failed to separate from the probe. Because of a retrorocket failure, the probe skipped off of the atmosphere of Mars and flew past rather than landing, and came no closer than 810 miles (1,300 km) from the surface before hurtling back into space.
  • Harry Womack, 28, American R&B musician for The Valentinos, was stabbed to death by his girlfriend, Patricia Wilson, after a misunderstanding.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
2. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks
3. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand
4. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
5. "Rock On," David Essex
6. "Dark Lady," Cher
7. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford
8. "Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor
9. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin
10. "Sunshine on My Shoulders," John Denver
11. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
12. "Love Song," Anne Murray
13. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades
14. "Jet," Paul McCartney & Wings
15. "Put Your Hands Together," The O'Jays
16. "I Love," Tom T. Hall
17. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
18. "Sexy Mama," The Moments
19. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier
20. "You're Sixteen," Ringo Starr
21. "Hooked on a Feeling," Blue Swede
22. "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
23. "Bennie and the Jets," Elton John
24. "Mighty Love, Pt. 1," The Spinners
25. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John
26. "There Won't Be Anymore," Charlie Rich
27. "Last Time I Saw Him," Diana Ross
28. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King
29. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
30. "Americans," Byron MacGregor
31. "The Lord's Prayer," Sister Janet Mead
32. "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me," Gladys Knight & The Pips

34. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones

36. "A Very Special Love Song," Charlie Rich
37. "Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack

39. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson
40. "Midnight Rider," Gregg Allman
41. "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips
42. "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)," MFSB feat. The Three Degrees

47. "Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient

53. "Touch a Hand, Make a Friend," The Staple Singers

55. "Let It Ride," Bachman-Turner Overdrive

58. "I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song," Jim Croce

60. "Jolene," Dolly Parton

65. "Oh, My My," Ringo Starr

67. "My Mistake (Was to Love You)," Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye

69. "She's Gone," Daryl Hall & John Oates

71. "Piano Man," Billy Joel

74. "Tubular Bells," Mike Oldfield

82. "The Loco-Motion," Grand Funk
83. "Midnight at the Oasis," Maria Muldaur

86. "Keep On Singing," Helen Reddy

95. "Mighty Mighty," Earth, Wind & Fire

Leaving the chart:
  • "Baby Come Close," Smokey Robinson (16 weeks)
  • "The Joker," Steve Miller Band (20 weeks)
  • "Living for the City," Stevie Wonder (17 weeks)
  • "Smokin' in the Boys Room," Brownsville Station (19 weeks)
  • "You Sure Love to Ball," Marvin Gaye (6 weeks)

Recent and new on the chart:

"Touch a Hand, Make a Friend," The Staple Singers
(Feb. 23; #23 US; #27 AC; #3 R&B)

"Let It Ride," Bachman-Turner Overdrive
(Feb. 23; #23 US)

"Keep On Singing," Helen Reddy
(#15 US; #1 AC)

"Oh, My My," Ringo Starr
(#5 US; #24 AC)

"The Loco-Motion," Grand Funk
(#1 US the weeks of May 4 and 11, 1974; #52 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Adam-12, "Skywatch: Part 2"
  • Ironside, "Come Eleven, Come Twelve"
  • The Brady Bunch, "The Hair-Brained Scheme" (series finale)
  • The Odd Couple, "New York's Oddest"
  • All in the Family, "Pay the Twenty Dollars"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month.

_______

That's the thing. It should have had an effect on the story or the character.
I think that the episode was trying to convey that he was affected by the girl's suicide and that it was supposed to show in his kinder, gentler eulogy, but his delivery/demeanor were just too flat and detached for me to find him compelling.

More compelling was a brief scene of the Chief turning his nose up at Fran's common chicken soup, which he complained needed to be "more Julia Child".

Last edited:
The U.S. television sitcom The Brady Bunch ended its five-season run after the broadcast of its 117th and final original episode before entering re-runs. Since the ABC network hadn't yet announced its 1974-75 schedule, the season closer was a regular episode. ABC canceled the show on April 24.

One wonders what a sixth season would have been like as Robert Reed had made it known that he wouldn't be returning and Sherwood Schwartz was planning on writing Robert Reed out because he was tired of his behavior on set, questioning the quality of the scripts. Robert Reed was actually written out of the final episode recorded because of this. Would Mike Brady been killed offscreen and Carol left a widower left to raise Mike's children; although Greg was old enough to move out and go to collage, with Marsha not far behind. Would Carol have dated? Would Carol's ex-husband made an appearance? Either way, the show would more than likely have been cancelled at the end of the sixth season.

The DC-10 departed from Orly Airport in Paris at 12:30 on its flight to London, and experienced an explosive decompression at an altitude of almost 23,000 feet (7,000 m), blowing off the rear cargo door
Mechanical failure, presumably. Goes to show how lucky the people in that recent Boeing incident were.

The first episode of the science show Nova was broadcast on television as a production of WGBH-TV in Boston.
Such a great show for science nerds.

An oceanographer at Duke University in the U.S. announced confirmation at in Durham, North Carolina, that the American warship USS Monitor had been located
A very cool discovery.

The U.S. television sitcom The Brady Bunch ended its five-season run
I blame Cousin Oliver.

The Soviet Union's Mars 7 lander was released behind schedule during the Mars 7 flyby when it initially failed to separate from the probe. Because of a retrorocket failure, the probe skipped off of the atmosphere of Mars and flew past rather than landing, and came no closer than 810 miles (1,300 km) from the surface before hurtling back into space.
In fairness to the hapless Soviets, Mars was always a pretty tough nut to crack. Luckily, there have been more successes than failures recently.

"Touch a Hand, Make a Friend," The Staple Singers
This is pretty good and it's always pleasant to listen to the Staple Singers.

"Let It Ride," Bachman-Turner Overdrive
70s Rockin' Classic.

"Keep On Singing," Helen Reddy
Pretty good. I'm not sure if I remember it from the time or from Lost 45s.

"Oh, My My," Ringo Starr
A good one from good ol' Ringo. :D

"The Loco-Motion," Grand Funk
A fun song in any decade. :rommie:

I think that the episode was trying to convey that he was affected by the girl's suicide and that it was supposed to show in his kinder, gentler eulogy, but his delivery/demeanor were just too flat and detached for me to find him compelling.
Oh, okay. At least they tried.

More compelling was a brief scene of the Chief turning his nose up at Fran's common chicken soup, which he complained needed to be "more Julia Child".
The Chief is cranky when he's sick. And when he's not. :rommie:

One wonders what a sixth season would have been like as Robert Reed had made it known that he wouldn't be returning and Sherwood Schwartz was planning on writing Robert Reed out because he was tired of his behavior on set, questioning the quality of the scripts. Robert Reed was actually written out of the final episode recorded because of this. Would Mike Brady been killed offscreen and Carol left a widower left to raise Mike's children; although Greg was old enough to move out and go to collage, with Marsha not far behind. Would Carol have dated? Would Carol's ex-husband made an appearance? Either way, the show would more than likely have been cancelled at the end of the sixth season.
At the beginning of season six, we learn that Mike has take Cousin Oliver to South America to join his parents, at their request, to share in an amazing archaeological discovery. But then Carol receives a telegram that all four have disappeared! Carol and the kids and Alice quickly voyage to the site and, while visiting the ruins, are caught in a landslide. They awaken in a strange world of dinosaurs, lizard people, and mysterious pylons. They spend the rest of the series trying to track down Mike and the others.

Mechanical failure, presumably. Goes to show how lucky the people in that recent Boeing incident were.
Didn't DC-10s become notorious for their accidents?

This is pretty good and it's always pleasant to listen to the Staple Singers.
Decent, low-key.

70s Rockin' Classic.
Yep.

Pretty good. I'm not sure if I remember it from the time or from Lost 45s.
This one I wasn't at all familiar with, and it further affirms my decision not to go deeper than Top 10 with Reddy. Sounds kind of Broadway musical.

A good one from good ol' Ringo. :D
The third single from Ringo's definitive solo album, and the only one that didn't top the chart.

A fun song in any decade. :rommie:
It's good, but I have to question if this cover was really #1 material.

At the beginning of season six, we learn that Mike has take Cousin Oliver to South America to join his parents, at their request, to share in an amazing archaeological discovery. But then Carol receives a telegram that all four have disappeared! Carol and the kids and Alice quickly voyage to the site and, while visiting the ruins, are caught in a landslide. They awaken in a strange world of dinosaurs, lizard people, and mysterious pylons. They spend the rest of the series trying to track down Mike and the others.
Needs more Jim Backus.

Didn't DC-10s become notorious for their accidents?
Now that you mention it, I believe that's true.

This one I wasn't at all familiar with, and it further affirms my decision not to go deeper than Top 10 with Reddy. Sounds kind of Broadway musical.
Yeah, it's not one of my faves, but it's pleasant enough.

It's good, but I have to question if this cover was really #1 material.
I think that about a lot of things. :rommie:

Needs more Jim Backus.
Excellent idea! Jim Backus and Vincent Price! :D

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing

_______

Adam-12
"Skywatch: Part 1"
Originally aired February 26, 1974
Wiki said:
Malloy and Reed are chosen for an LAPD program where patrol officers ride along with the Air Support Division....Calls include two robbery suspects inside a high-rise building, a fleeing murder suspect, and a cliffhanger ending involving a hijacked light plane.

It seems that Adam-12 has dropped off of Freevee. Fortunately, FeTV happened to be right up to the remaining episodes of this season, so I was able to roll along with only a slight delay--My fellow Michianans have got my back!

The officers get teased in the locker room by Brinkman and Woods because they're going to helicopter school--flying with one of the air units as part of a program that Reed pushed for. At the police heliport, they're reacquainted with Officer Walters (William Stevens reprising a recurring role from Season 1), who recently transferred to the air unit from Harbor Division; and they report to Lt. Benson (Jack Hogan). (FWIW, Reed's said to now be two years out of probation.) The officers go up in Air-70 with Walters and the pilot, Officer Chet Mills (Gavin James, a.k.a. James W. Gavin, who seems to have been an actual helicopter pilot given that most of his numerous roles on IMDb are for "Helicopter Pilot").

The chopper takes a scenic route through the canyons of downtown L.A. to investigate a 211 following which the suspects have been ascending inside one of the skyscrapers. The chopper hovers around the floors they're believed to be on and Reed manages to spot them in a 26th-floor window, following which they're reported as having been apprehended in a stairwell.

The officers observe with a scope as Brinkman's unit responds to a call at a residence. Brinkman radios them that it's a homicide of a young woman, whom Malloy and Reed are familiar with from having recently responded to a call for a dispute between her and her boyfriend, whose name is Porter. They're unable to spot Porter's vehicle on the freeway, but head to his known residence and spot his vehicle and then him attempting to get away in it...but he has to do a 180 when he's pursued by a squad car from the opposite direction. Guided by the chopper, the squad car corners him when he turns into a series of horse trails. Porter tries to flee on foot, but a P.A. call from the low-flying chopper persuades him to surrender.

The chopper returns to the heliport with the intention of the officers taking a seven at a nearby sub place, but Lt. Benson sends them after a stolen private plane from beautiful Burbank Airport. For this the officers split up--Malloy riding with Walters in Air-70, while Reed goes with Mills in Air-10. Walters contacts Burbank air control for info about the plane's whereabouts, and Mac updates them about how it's a drinking-related dispute involving a suspect named Pollard, whose wife is being brought to Van Nuys Airport to meet him.

Uncle Jack: Next week, the conclusion of "Air Support."​

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART II

For all of its pretty aerial footage, in one sense this is sort of a bottle episode...it's all conveyed from the vantage of the officers in the air, with no credited suspects and only two guests who aren't recurring actors.

_______

Hawaii Five-O
"30,000 Rooms and I Have the Key"
Originally aired February 26, 1974
Season finale
Wiki said:
A wealthy stylish jewel thief and master of disguise who steals for the thrill of stealing (David Wayne) evades McGarrett and then sends the Five-O chief an invitation to his next performance.

The Wiki description also points out that the premise is similar to the two previous episodes guest-starring Hume Cronyn as Lewis Avery Filer.

At the Ilikai hotel, a thief passing himself off as room service (Wayne) uses a master key to get into a suite and pulls out and burns a handwritten note telling him exactly where to look for the jewelry. A suspicious security guard named Darter (Clarence Garcia) confirms that he's not staff, but the thief is a step ahead of him, calmly leaving the scene and proceeding to hit another suite. While Darter gives Five-O a description, we see the thief in a third room removing his distinguishing features, which were all appliances. Then Five-O is called to the third room before learning of the second--where the thief in a new disguise, that of Father Doigt, reports the theft of a holy relic in the form of a saint's finger. While questioning the fake father, McGarrett describes the computer-coordinated system that Five-O, the HPD, and the hotel and security organizations are part of. When they receive a report of the second room theft, involving $50,000 worth of sapphires, Five-O is getting on the elevator, but McGarrett dramatically stops the doors from closing as he suddenly realizes from the meaning of the clergyman's name and the lack of a burned note like the other rooms (including a hit at a previous hotel) that they've been had. In the father's room, they find a rose, a burned note, and a ten-dollar bill.

McGarrett: You know what I think, gentlemen? We just briefed our thief.​

(Not that this comes up again as a plot point.)

Che is unable to find any prints in the father's room, but is able to raise a partial thumbprint from the registration card via which he checked into the hotel. Che also determines that the room locks weren't picked, indicating the use of a master key. The thief dons the disguise of a security guard and walks out of the Ilikai to proceed to a hotel called the Coral Crown, where he's got a room and is casually familiar in his security guard ID with an unsuspecting maid named Thelma (Ethel Azama). Inside, he removes the door knob, whips out a key-making machine, and crafts a new key. He then dons the disguise of the room's occupant and leaves the room for the maid to clean up; following which he breaks into the hotel manager's office and plants a bug. Five-O finds an M.O. match with a culprit known only as S. R. Horus, and work out the details of his M.O. on a blackboard. They determine that Horus's next likely targets are a wealthy couple staying at the Coral Crown who refuse to use a safe deposit box and stake out and surveil the room after consulting with the manager, while Horus listens. Five-O watches as the thief enters in another security guard disguise and goes for the jewels...Steve waiting until he's red-handed to burst in with his gun. The thief disarms as ordered but casually moves toward the balcony, where he hooks himself to a prepared line and descends down to another balcony several stories below, giving Five-O the slip.

Steve works out that Horus is motivated by ego and--after receiving an engraved invitation from Horus to his next job at the Hawaiian Regent--a need for risk. They further work out that he always checks into and out of the hotels that he hits in a disguise, leaving the rose and tip. The figure of interest at the Regent is a guest who's expecting to receive a shipment of diamonds from a South African courier. While Five-O tails the arriving courier (James L. Hutchison) and stakes out the Regent--disguised as guests in loud Hawaiian shirts even though the thief has met them--Horus checks into the establishment and breaks into a service room where he taps into the phone line to intercept a call from the courier and divert him to a room on a different floor.

Five-O belatedly learns of this from the courier and finds the usual calling cards, but Steve deduces that Horus is still in the hotel to toy with them. More rooms are hit, and while Five-O is on the prowl in the corridors, Danno spots and recognizes Horus based on a composite of sketches made of the thief in various disguises. Horus gives Danno and Ben the slip via a prepared ventilation shaft escape route, but when Horus returns to his room and removes his current disguise, he finds Steve waiting for him--the partial prints and handwriting from various registration cards having allowed him to identify which guest he was. Horus identifies himself as Bordeaux, turns over the jewels on hand to McGarrett while leaving him to find where the others are stashed, and invites Steve to sit down with him over a drink, which McGarrett declines, affirming that he's a cop and doesn't drink.

_______

Ironside
"Close to the Heart"
Originally aired February 28, 1974
Frndly said:
A woman with a bullet near her heart claims she doesn't remember ever getting shot.

The Chief is driving himself down to Santa Cruz for a lecture when a station wagon-driving woman experiencing mysterious symptoms (Elizabeth Ashley) runs both of them off the street. We can forgive a non-Mark VII show for skipping straight to the ambulance ride. At the hospital the Chief is determined to be unharmed, but listens as the woman, Laura Keyes, opines to Dr. Furness (Anthony Eisley) that she may have had a heart attack, and acts surprised when X-rays reveal that she has a bullet lodged near her heart...having been shot long enough prior that the wound is now scar tissue. Team Ironside and Laura's traveling husband, Daniel (Donald Moffat), converge on the hospital, by which point Laura is refusing surgery against medical advice and the Chief's curiosity to examine the projectile. She comes up with an obviously false story about remembering an incident at the beach with her daughter two years prior when she thought she was hit by a rock thrown by some rowdy kids and bandaged up the wound. The Chief rules out a suicide attempt based on the gun having been three feet away from her.

Laura falls unconscious from an attack and her husband gives consent for the operation; following which she's visited by him and their 11-year-old daughter, Tress (Linda Marie). The bullet is promptly found to be a match for the unsolved murder two years prior of an up-and-coming union leader named Carlos Ortega, which was believed to have been robbery-related at the time. The Chief confronts Laura with her lie and asks about a connection to Ortega, but she refuses to talk. Later she dials the Cave, but changes her mind and hangs up. The most likely suspect, her husband, is determined to have a spotless record and to have been in Arizona on his job as a radio engineer for the weeks surrounding Ortega's murder, but the possibility that he could have made a quick trip back to Frisco on that date isn't ruled out.

Fran talks to Mike Purcell (James Luisi), Laura's boss at the real estate job that she left for unknown reasons around the time of the murder; and identifies him afterward as a mobster named Charles Morance. Ed talks to the union boss Ortega had been trying to beat in an election, Bill McCraken (Paul Lambert); and then Ortega's widow, Helen (Gina Alvarado), who challenges McCraken's story that Carlos was drunk at the time and shot by a junkie.

Fran finds that Laura has checked out of the hospital. At the Keyses' bayside home, a man who's delivering a plant starts to pull a gun on Laura behind her back, but bugs out when Fran drives up. Meanwhile, a union financial report that Mrs. Ortega got ahold of pulls up something of arrest-worthy interest. The Chief goes to the Keyes home while Fran's there and reveals that Ortega had been calling for an audit of the union and that funds were being siphoned from one of its investments--a lucrative housing development that Laura had been working. This makes both Purcell and McCraken likely suspects. Upon being pointedly questioned by Fran, Laura admits that she'd been having an affair with Mike, who was known to have a violent temper, and flashes back to the night that she broke things off with him...which ultimately ended with him pulling a gun and firing it at her in anger when she tried to walk out. She was still conscious afterward and helped the apologetic Purcell to cover it up, the wound having been patched up by a doctor who worked for the syndicate.

McCraken is picked up and Laura agrees to testify before a grand jury, but Purcell infiltrates the Hall of Justice posing as an elevator operator. When he pops out of an elevator that he's marked "out of order" to take a shot at a figure that he thinks is Laura, but is actually Fran walking with Mr. Keyes, Mark spots and wounds him, then rushes down the stairwell with uniformed backup to the parking garage, where Purcell falls out of his getaway van. In the aftermath, Laura is surprised to learn that Dan knew of her affair all along and never said anything, having put it behind him when she cut it off.

As whodunnits go, this one's novel premise kept it interesting.

_______

The Brady Bunch
"The Hustler"
Originally aired March 1, 1974
Wiki said:
The Bradys receive a pool table as a thank-you gift from Mike's boss, and Bobby quickly becomes a billiards expert. Bobby shows off his skills during Mike and Carol's cocktail party, soundly beating Mike's boss.

The boys are playing basketball, with Oliver on the sidelines, when a flatbed truck backs into the driveway and delivers a pair of large crates for Mike. The crates are opened after Mike gets home, accompanied by much suspense, to reveal a pool table. Back at the firm the next day, Mike learns that it's a gift from his boss, Harry Matthews, and that a card was meant to accompany it. (I'm pretty sure we've met Mike's boss before, and he wasn't Jim Backus.) Mike accepts the gift graciously, though he's clearly not as into pool as Matthews is, and Carol refuses to have it in the house, so they end up keeping it in the carport! (Seems like their family room would be perfect for it.) Mike decides to have Matthews over for dinner to express the family's appreciation. Meanwhile, Bobby makes a household chore bet over a game with Peter and Greg and cleans up while Oliver watches in amusement. That night, Bobby dreams of displaying his virtuosity before an adoring audience in a swank theater, which ends with him being showered in money.

In addition to Harry and his wife, Frances (Dorothy Shay), the Bradys get backed into hosting two of Mike's coworkers and their wives, the Thompsons (Jason Dunn and Susan Quick) and the Sinclairs (Charles Stewart and Grayce Spence); while the kids all go out except for Bobby, who's making up homework time after having stayed up all night practicing pool. The men let their boss win even though he's not really a very good player, but then Bobby comes out and Harry agrees to a child-friendly wager with him. Bobby cleans up again while the uncomfortable men watch...though Mike displays pride and amusement.
TBB12.jpg
Matthews--who insists on honoring the wager--ends up owing Bobby 256 packs of gum. When a sobered Matthews talks of donating his table to charity, the Bradys jump on the opportunity to restore the series status quo (FWIW at this point) by offering to donate their table in its place.

In the coda, the same truck delivers Bobby's winnings.

This is Robert Reed's final appearance on the show, as he wasn't in the finale due to a dispute over that episode's storyline. And FWIW, the episode before this, which isn't on P+, guested Natalie Schafer.

_______

The Odd Couple
"The Insomniacs"
Originally aired March 1, 1974
Wiki said:
Oscar, Murray and Myrna try to cure Felix's insomnia.

And it turns out that P+ no longer has The Odd Couple...but Pluto does, with the same unavailable episodes. Onward.

When Felix hasn't slept for three days, he wakes Oscar up in the middle of the night to pester him, eventually settling into a rocking chair outside of Oscar's open door. Felix's lack of sleep comes to affect his lucidity during the day. Felix tries to keep himself amused at night, calling Miriam to describe the late, late show after the channel goes off the air for the night (Remember that?); then Randall impresses the studio audience by putting poker chips on his upturned elbow and catching them in the same arm's hand. When Felix wakes up Oscar for breakfast at 4 a.m. to keep him company until the TV comes back on, Oscar tries to uncover what happened to Felix four days prior that put him in this state, and it turns out that he saw Gloria in the supermarket with another man. Felix enlists Murray to do some plainclothes investigating (dressed like Columbo, who is referenced), and it turns out that the man was an auto insurance agent she was negotiating with. This proves to be a blind alley, though, as Felix still can't sleep the next night.

Felix comes home from the studio in a state of delirium, having briefly fainted in his darkroom. Oscar has a used waterbed delivered and tries playing a record of soothing water noises, but it just makes Felix have to run for the bathroom. Murray tries the power of suggestion, telling a story full of sleep-evoking imagery while repeatedly yawning...which puts Myrna out. Oscar brings out a box of Felix's old toys that his mother sent him the previous year--including a teddy bear wrapped in cellophane to keep dust off of him--and ends up having to read stories to Felix. When this proves unsuccessful in comforting Felix to sleep, it comes up that his new electronic watch has stopped, and Oscar works out that Felix misses the ticking of his old watch under his ear. To get Felix to sleep until he can get his old watch back from an assistant the next day, Oscar stands by his bed making ticking noises.

In the coda, Felix is sleeping like a baby while Oscar suffers from insomnia...pulling the rocking chair into Felix's doorway and settling in with the wrapped bear.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
"I Was a Single for WJM"
Originally aired March 2, 1974
Season finale
Wiki said:
Mary begins frequenting a singles bar to research a news special. When they air from the bar live, they encounter disastrous results.

The title of this episode may be a reference to a 1951 film that's been coming up in the Movies! schedule, I Was a Communist for the FBI.

Lou holds a conference to come up with an idea for a new location feature spot. Mary wants to do a nostalgia piece about the mid-'60s, when she was married to Dick Van Dyke. Lou goes with Murray's idea, about covering a singles bar that he routinely walks by and is clearly fascinated with...but it turns out that Marie won't let him cover the story, so Mary has to go undercover alone, which Lou protectively doesn't like. At the bar she's hit on by an awkward operator named Dino (Richard Schaal again), and strikes up a conversation with a couple of young ladies named Toni and Alice (Penny Marshall and Arlene Golonka). When Dino tries to hit on Mary at the bar, she learns that she has a chaperone--Lou. Toni rather forwardly gives Lou her number, and when it looks like Dino is picking up Alice, it turns out that he's the husband that she's separated from.

Stuck for an angle, the crew decide to take the cameras into the bar to broadcast live during the news and let the patrons do the talking. Murray resolves to be there, wanting for one brief, shining moment to feel hip and "not bald". At the bar, Mary sits down to explain to Toni and Alice that they're going to be on camera as the crew is rolling their equipment in; and not only do they not want to be on TV, but the entire place clears out. Ted is left with nobody to interview from the studio but the embarrassed newsroom crew, with Murray freezing like a deer in the headlights. Lou fares better on camera, trying to salvage the moment by explaining what happened to the television audience, but ultimately leaves it to Ted to fill the remaining time...which he does by calling for a moment of silence.

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
"A Matter of Principal"
Originally aired March 2, 1974
Season finale
Wiki said:
Emily stands on her principles and defies an order to let an unqualified student skip a grade.

While Bob's playing with his new record organizer, Emily's grading essays and shows him one by a Richard Lewis, which is obviously too articulate for a third-grader. Emily believes that Richard Sr., an influential member of the school board who wants his son to skip a grade, is responsible. The next day at Bob's office, following a session with Mr. Trevesco (Michael Conrad reprising a role from early in the season), Emily drops by to get Bob's advice about the principal pressuring her to approve of skipping Richard. (It occurs to me that given what we see of Bob's commute in the opening credits, it stretches credibility that Emily casually drops by his office so often, unless her school happens to be in the same area.) That night, Emily's out getting groceries when the principal, Mr. Brimskill (Milton Selzer), visits the Hartley residence and asks Bob to influence Emily on the matter. When she returns, he announces that he'll take the matter into his own hands and skip Richard himself, which Emily protests by quitting on the spot. (There's a gag in here where Brimskill requests an elementary school-style snack from Bob and ends up confronting Emily with grape juice stains on his mouth.)

Emily's still fuming over the matter when Howard, Jerry, and Carol arrive for dinner. They quickly learn of her predicament and attempt to advise her...Howard making her feel worse by offhandedly laying down a realistic chain of career consequences. The next day there's another session with Travesco, who's obsessed with proving that he's being visited and abducted by aliens, following which Bob goes to the school to help Emily pack her things. Brimskill comes in to try to persuade her to stay, and she offers the alternative condition that he skip four other students who are at least as bright as Richard. He won't approve of that, but leaves her with an open offer to return. What ultimately changes Emily's mind is when she receives an unexpected visit from a student named Lisa who's still on the premises (Tara Talboy). The girl has heard that they're getting a new teacher and conveys how much she and the other students will miss Mrs. Hartley.

Lisa (seeing Bob walk in carrying a box): Are you the new teacher? I hate you!​

_______

Last edited:
The officers get teased in the locker room by Brinkman and Woods because they're going to helicopter school
They're just jealous!

(Gavin James, a.k.a. James W. Gavin, who seems to have been an actual helicopter pilot given that most of his numerous roles on IMDb are for "Helicopter Pilot").
Well, that sounds like a fun career. :rommie:

The chopper hovers around the floors they're believed to be on and Reed manages to spot them in a 26th-floor window, following which they're reported as having been apprehended in a stairwell.
Here's another scene I saw at my Mother's house one time. I wondered what was going on. :rommie:

Porter tries to flee on foot, but a P.A. call from the low-flying chopper persuades him to surrender.
Kind of lacks the personal touch.

Lt. Benson sends them after a stolen private plane from beautiful Burbank Airport.
Hmm. First I wonder what they're supposed to do. They can't just pull him over. Second I wonder if the LAPD even has jurisdiction. Aren't there air marshals or something that handle this kind of matter?

For all of its pretty aerial footage, in one sense this is sort of a bottle episode...it's all conveyed from the vantage of the officers in the air, with no credited suspects and only two guests who aren't recurring actors.
Yeah, that arrest of the murderer really lacked impact. They must be saving it all up for part two.

a thief passing himself off as room service (Wayne)
Digger Barnes, among a billion other things.

pulls out and burns a handwritten note telling him exactly where to look for the jewelry.
Are these notes to self? He doesn't strike me as the forgetful type. Or is it just part of toying with McGarrett?

Father Doigt, reports the theft of a holy relic in the form of a saint's finger.
Cute. A subtle way of giving McGarrett the finger. :rommie:

they receive a report of the second room theft, involving $50,000 worth of sapphires
People leave a lot of expensive stuff in their hotel rooms.

McGarrett: You know what I think, gentlemen? We just briefed our thief.

(Not that this comes up again as a plot point.)
Hasn't he ever heard of Chekov's briefing?

a hotel called the Coral Crown
I wonder if these are all real hotels.

Inside, he removes the door knob, whips out a key-making machine, and crafts a new key.
This seems way too easy, especially since he's making a master key. But I don't really know how master keys worked.

and work out the details of his M.O. on a blackboard.
Didn't they used to have one of those transparent boards?

The thief disarms as ordered but casually moves toward the balcony, where he hooks himself to a prepared line and descends down to another balcony several stories below, giving Five-O the slip.
Steve should have chased him down the line. That would have been exciting. :rommie:

Steve works out that Horus is motivated by ego
"It's like a chess game with my Evil Twin."

a guest who's expecting to receive a shipment of diamonds from a South African courier.
What is this, International Put Your Precious Gems At Risk Week? :rommie:

disguised as guests in loud Hawaiian shirts even though the thief has met them
And is himself a master of disguise.

Horus checks into the establishment and breaks into a service room where he taps into the phone line to intercept a call from the courier and divert him to a room on a different floor.
Speaking of It Takes A Thief, this guy is basically Al Mundy before Noah Bain got ahold of him.

Danno spots and recognizes Horus based on a composite of sketches made of the thief in various disguises.
Nice. They averaged him out of his disguises. :rommie:

Horus identifies himself as Bordeaux, turns over the jewels on hand to McGarrett while leaving him to find where the others are stashed, and invites Steve to sit down with him over a drink, which McGarrett declines, affirming that he's a cop and doesn't drink.
Two weeks in a row. Well, that was a nice little cat-and-mouse game, although it could have used a livelier ending.

The Chief is driving himself down to Santa Cruz for a lecture when a station wagon-driving woman experiencing mysterious symptoms (Elizabeth Ashley) runs both of them off the street. We can forgive a non-Mark VII show for skipping straight to the ambulance ride.
Can we? I'm very curious. :rommie: Was the Chief's vehicle tricked out for a paraplegic? Why was he driving alone? What happened in the aftermath of the crash?

she has a bullet lodged near her heart...having been shot long enough prior that the wound is now scar tissue.
This is a great Film Noir-style gimmick. I wonder if it's borrowed from a movie or novel that I'm unfamiliar with.

Daniel (Donald Moffat)
Rem from Logan's Run. He also starred in the 80s Twilight Zone adaptation of "The Star," my favorite Arthur C Clarke story.

Laura is refusing surgery against medical advice
This doesn't really make sense. I know she's afraid the truth will unfold, but she also knows that she's going to die.

She comes up with an obviously false story about remembering an incident at the beach with her daughter two years prior when she thought she was hit by a rock thrown by some rowdy kids and bandaged up the wound.
She's had a long time to come up with a better story than that. She must have known this day would come. :rommie:

The Chief rules out a suicide attempt based on the gun having been three feet away from her.
That seems a little close to get shot and survive. They should have contrived to make it a lucky shot from the other end of the driveway or something.

and identifies him afterward as a mobster named Charles Morance.
Another mobster living under an assumed name.

Fran finds that Laura has checked out of the hospital.
This is one tough broad. :rommie:

a man who's delivering a plant starts to pull a gun on Laura behind her back, but bugs out when Fran drives up.
Another paid assassin gets away. :rommie:

flashes back to the night that she broke things off with him...which ultimately ended with him pulling a gun and firing it at her in anger when she tried to walk out. She was still conscious afterward and helped the apologetic Purcell to cover it up, the wound having been patched up by a doctor who worked for the syndicate.
This is so totally nuts that it's cool. :rommie:

Mark spots and wounds him, then rushes down the stairwell with uniformed backup to the parking garage, where Purcell falls out of his getaway van.
Like the Hawaii Five-O episode, this is a bit anticlimactic.

In the aftermath, Laura is surprised to learn that Dan knew of her affair all along and never said anything, having put it behind him when she cut it off.
Aww, sweet. But how could he possibly not know that she was shot in the chest and nearly killed?

As whodunnits go, this one's novel premise kept it interesting.
Agreed. I love the mysterious bullet lodged near the heart gimmick. Aside from a couple of those nitpicks, I'm picturing this as a cool 1940s hard-boiled detective movie.

with Oliver on the sidelines
At least he's getting paid.

(I'm pretty sure we've met Mike's boss before, and he wasn't Jim Backus.)
You altered the timeline when you summoned him to the Land of the Lost. :rommie:

Carol refuses to have it in the house, so they end up keeping it in the carport! (Seems like their family room would be perfect for it.)
Must be some traumatic pool-related event in her past. Maybe she beat her former spouse to death with a pool cue.

while Oliver watches in amusement.
"Hey, guys, I'm getting paid!"

Matthews--who insists on honoring the wager--ends up owing Bobby 256 packs of gum. When a sobered Matthews talks of donating his table to charity, the Bradys jump on the opportunity to restore the series status quo (FWIW at this point) by offering to donate their table in its place.
This is the week for anticlimaxes.

This is Robert Reed's final appearance on the show, as he wasn't in the finale due to a dispute over that episode's storyline.
That's kind of a shame. He did come back for all the other Brady stuff, though.

And FWIW, the episode before this, which isn't on P+, guested Natalie Schafer.
I'm sorry we missed that. I wonder if we would have seen all the Gilligan's Island cast eventually. Except Tina Louise.

after the channel goes off the air for the night (Remember that?)
I sure do. :rommie:

then Randall impresses the studio audience by putting poker chips on his upturned elbow and catching them in the same arm's hand.
I used to impress my Niece by doing that with quarters. I'll have to ask her if she ever mastered it. :rommie:

Felix comes home from the studio in a state of delirium, having briefly fainted in his darkroom.
We're way past the point of calling a doctor or shrink.

Murray tries the power of suggestion, telling a story full of sleep-evoking imagery while repeatedly yawning...which puts Myrna out.

Oscar brings out a box of Felix's old toys that his mother sent him the previous year--including a teddy bear wrapped in cellophane to keep dust off of him
I hope she never gave him a cat.

To get Felix to sleep until he can get his old watch back from an assistant the next day, Oscar stands by his bed making ticking noises.
Appropriate, since he's kind of a time bomb.

The title of this episode may be a reference to a 1951 film that's been coming up in the Movies! schedule, I Was a Communist for the FBI.
Which was based on a true story. I'm pretty sure there was a TV series, too.

Mary wants to do a nostalgia piece about the mid-'60s, when she was married to Dick Van Dyke.
That would have been so cool. I bet Dick van Dyke would have gone for it, too. :rommie:

Mary has to go undercover alone, which Lou protectively doesn't like.
Don't worry, Lou, she's got spunk. :D

Toni and Alice (Penny Marshall and Arlene Golonka)
Both well known character actors, even before Laverne & Shirley.

Toni rather forwardly gives Lou her number, and when it looks like Dino is picking up Alice, it turns out that he's the husband that she's separated from.
It's like a little LAS crossover.

not only do they not want to be on TV, but the entire place clears out. Ted is left with nobody to interview from the studio but the embarrassed newsroom crew, with Murray freezing like a deer in the headlights. Lou fares better on camera, trying to salvage the moment by explaining what happened to the television audience, but ultimately leaves it to Ted to fill the remaining time...which he does by calling for a moment of silence.
Definitely an LAS vibe. :rommie:

(It occurs to me that given what we see of Bob's commute in the opening credits, it stretches credibility that Emily casually drops by his office so often, unless her school happens to be in the same area.)
Interesting. I never gave a lot of thought to that commute. Did they ever mention having a car? I seem to remember talk about the apartment building having an underground garage, but I'm not sure about the Hartleys owning a vehicle. Maybe Emily drives and Bob takes the train.

(There's a gag in here where Brimskill requests an elementary school-style snack from Bob and ends up confronting Emily with grape juice stains on his mouth.)
I hope it was Goofy Grape.
grape.gif

Howard, Jerry, and Carol arrive for dinner.
A little season finale celebration.

The next day there's another session with Travesco, who's obsessed with proving that he's being visited and abducted by aliens
Bob should have written this up as a best-selling UFO book. He could have retired to Vermont.

The girl has heard that they're getting a new teacher and conveys how much she and the other students will miss Mrs. Hartley.
Awww. Now that's a nice season finale. :rommie:

Lisa (seeing Bob walk in carrying a box): Are you the new teacher? I hate you!
Doesn't she recognize him as the boring psychologist? Or was that the previous year's class? :rommie:

Here's another scene I saw at my Mother's house one time. I wondered what was going on. :rommie:
They lampshaded that Reed was extremely lucky to have caught them at a window...I guess we could rationalize that they only got in view to gawk at the copter.

Kind of lacks the personal touch.
Reed's an "old-timer" now...though maybe Linc's stunt double is still looking for work. They should get him on Five-O, he could flying drop kick perps into the drink!

Hmm. First I wonder what they're supposed to do. They can't just pull him over.
You heard what Uncle Jack said!
Second I wonder if the LAPD even has jurisdiction. Aren't there air marshals or something that handle this kind of matter?
Good question, but it looks like air marshals using personal aircraft is a rare, mission-specific thing.

Yeah, that arrest of the murderer really lacked impact. They must be saving it all up for part two.
Having prepped the credits, there are a couple of credited voice-only actors in the next one.

FWIW, Mills commented in the episode that copter cops getting out of their craft for pursuit was purely movie business, and that manpower-wise they were worth ten times as much in the air.

Are these notes to self? He doesn't strike me as the forgetful type. Or is it just part of toying with McGarrett?
Good question. He did seem to be consulting them, but where the intel came from was left unaddressed. It was speculated early on that he must have inside intel, but that wasn't followed up on, unless his staking out the hotels by checking into rooms was supposed to address it...which it shouldn't.

People leave a lot of expensive stuff in their hotel rooms.
What is this, International Put Your Precious Gems At Risk Week? :rommie:
They did question in the one instance why people didn't use the safe deposit boxes. But yeah, Bordeaux sure seemed to be rolling in business. When Five-O was anticipating where he'd strike next based on who was coming to the islands with valuable gems, I'd meant to make a crack about the Batcomputer.

I wonder if these are all real hotels.
The Ilikai comes up in a search.

This seems way too easy, especially since he's making a master key. But I don't really know how master keys worked.
I really wasn't clear exactly what he was doing here...it looked like he was making a duplicate of his own key, but that shouldn't work as a master.

Didn't they used to have one of those transparent boards?
Wrong tool for the job...they usually use that for maps.

Steve should have chased him down the line. That would have been exciting. :rommie:
Steve didn't have a hook that was presumably attached to a concealed harness.

(Linc's stunt double could also kick people off high-rise hotel balconies...)

And is himself a master of disguise.
I'm reminded of that moment when the master of disguise baddie disguised himself as Rollin and Jim and Not Rollin each realized that the other wasn't who he was pretending to be at the same time. This moment of retro-nostalgia will self-destruct in five seconds.

Nice. They averaged him out of his disguises. :rommie:
And it was analog, not digital!

Can we? I'm very curious. :rommie: Was the Chief's vehicle tricked out for a paraplegic? Why was he driving alone?
It had come up earlier in the season that the Chief was now capable of driving himself, which probably went hand-in-hand with Mark joining the force and no longer working as Ironside's personal valet. Any exposition on these matters was probably in Season 6, which I'm planning to cover in the imminent hiatus season.*

This is a great Film Noir-style gimmick. I wonder if it's borrowed from a movie or novel that I'm unfamiliar with.
Wouldn't surprise me, now that you mention it.

Rem from Logan's Run. He also starred in the 80s Twilight Zone adaptation of "The Star," my favorite Arthur C Clarke story.
While I did watch LR as a kid, my practical memory of it is next to nonexistent. The main thing I know him from is playing the President in Clear and Present Danger...though I always think at first that he was a guest on TNG, but he wasn't.

She's had a long time to come up with a better story than that. She must have known this day would come. :rommie:
She probably wasn't prepared for the bullet eventually becoming an issue. Quickie Mob Doc likely didn't do an X-ray. They implied that she had to get home to her daughter on the night of the shooting.

This is so totally nuts that it's cool. :rommie:
It did stretch credibility quite a bit, which made it perhaps a bit disappointing as the big reveal.

Like the Hawaii Five-O episode, this is a bit anticlimactic.
Now here we had a foot chase, exchange of gunfire, and the bad guy falling out of a moving vehicle. Were you expecting Linc's stunt double to pop up this late in the season as Mark's stunt double?

Aww, sweet. But how could he possibly not know that she was shot in the chest and nearly killed?
He was out of town.

At least he's getting paid.
Unlike Linc's stunt double...though he could be rolling in cinematic work at the height of the blaxploitation era.

You altered the timeline when you summoned him to the Land of the Lost. :rommie:
I'd already watched this when I made the reference. Anyway, now you've got a role you can plug him into.

I'm sorry we missed that. I wonder if we would have seen all the Gilligan's Island cast eventually. Except Tina Louise.
You could bring them all back in Season 6 guest roles!

I sure do. :rommie:
Still a thing at the turn of the '80s, apparently.

I used to impress my Niece by doing that with quarters. I'll have to ask her if she ever mastered it. :rommie:
The question is, can you still do it?

I hope she never gave him a cat.
He's a situation-specific dog person...though he does seem more like a cat person now that you mention it. And that jogged a faint memory...

Which was based on a true story. I'm pretty sure there was a TV series, too.
I wasn't sure how obscure that was...I'd never heard of it until recently.

That would have been so cool. I bet Dick van Dyke would have gone for it, too. :rommie:
This actually came to mind because she got off on a tangent about a guy she was into at the time.

Don't worry, Lou, she's got spunk. :D
MTM08.jpg

Interesting. I never gave a lot of thought to that commute. Did they ever mention having a car? I seem to remember talk about the apartment building having an underground garage, but I'm not sure about the Hartleys owning a vehicle. Maybe Emily drives and Bob takes the train.
I can't recall them mentioning the Hartleys having a car, though that could be. Howard having a car did come up recently.

I hope it was Goofy Grape.
grape.gif
Coulda been...I think Bob poured it from an unmarked pitcher.

Bob should have written this up as a best-selling UFO book. He could have retired to Vermont.
He could only dream of such a thing.

Doesn't she recognize him as the boring psychologist? Or was that the previous year's class? :rommie:
It was an episode from last season...the second episode of the series, in fact.

* Linc's stunt double: Coming Soon!™

Last edited:
They lampshaded that Reed was extremely lucky to have caught them at a window...I guess we could rationalize that they only got in view to gawk at the copter.
They do get some pretty dumb ne'er-do-wells.

Reed's an "old-timer" now...though maybe Linc's stunt double is still looking for work. They should get him on Five-O, he could flying drop kick perps into the drink!
"Kick 'im, Linco!"

You heard what Uncle Jack said!
I'll be patient. :rommie:

Good question. He did seem to be consulting them, but where the intel came from was left unaddressed. It was speculated early on that he must have inside intel, but that wasn't followed up on, unless his staking out the hotels by checking into rooms was supposed to address it...which it shouldn't.
I think they really wanted those burned notes to be part of the MO, but didn't entirely think it through.

They did question in the one instance why people didn't use the safe deposit boxes. But yeah, Bordeaux sure seemed to be rolling in business. When Five-O was anticipating where he'd strike next based on who was coming to the islands with valuable gems, I'd meant to make a crack about the Batcomputer.
Maybe McGarrett knows Alfred too. :rommie:

The Ilikai comes up in a search.
Probably a bunch of product placement fifty years ago.

I really wasn't clear exactly what he was doing here...it looked like he was making a duplicate of his own key, but that shouldn't work as a master.
It kind of makes me wonder how master keys worked. They're all electronic now, so no trick there.

Wrong tool for the job...they usually use that for maps.
That's true.

Steve didn't have a hook that was presumably attached to a concealed harness.
Even more exciting! :rommie:

I'm reminded of that moment when the master of disguise baddie disguised himself as Rollin and Jim and Not Rollin each realized that the other wasn't who he was pretending to be at the same time. This moment of retro-nostalgia will self-destruct in five seconds.
Maybe the baddie was playing IMF when he burned his notes. :rommie:

And it was analog, not digital!
Right, they had to do it the hard way. These kids today don't know from tough. :rommie:

While I did watch LR as a kid, my practical memory of it is next to nonexistent. The main thing I know him from is playing the President in Clear and Present Danger...though I always think at first that he was a guest on TNG, but he wasn't.
He would have been a good TNG guest. He basically played Data a decade early on Logan's Run.

That was good. I've only seen him play more mild-mannered characters.

She probably wasn't prepared for the bullet eventually becoming an issue. Quickie Mob Doc likely didn't do an X-ray. They implied that she had to get home to her daughter on the night of the shooting.
"Listen, the sitter gets paid extra if I'm late. I just can't deal with a gaping chest wound right now!"

It did stretch credibility quite a bit, which made it perhaps a bit disappointing as the big reveal.
I'm a little torn. It's a bit much for Ironside, but I like it.

Now here we had a foot chase, exchange of gunfire, and the bad guy falling out of a moving vehicle. Were you expecting Linc's stunt double to pop up this late in the season as Mark's stunt double?
Heh. It was the falling out of the vehicle part. "We chased him for a while and then he died. Then we got some burgers."

He was out of town.
Yeah, but that's a major injury. If nothing else, it's going to leave some scarring.

Unlike Linc's stunt double...though he could be rolling in cinematic work at the height of the blaxploitation era.
I often wonder how a lot of the support people make a living, especially if they have a narrow specialty.

I'd already watched this when I made the reference. Anyway, now you've got a role you can plug him into.
That's true. The architectural firm could be involved in some secret conspiracy involving the ancient ruins.

You could bring them all back in Season 6 guest roles!
When we reveal that Gilligan's Island is part of the Land of the Lost. I like how this is coming together. :rommie:

Still a thing at the turn of the '80s, apparently.
Yeah, that makes sense, especially little UHF stations.

The question is, can you still do it?
Let's find out. I've got repetitive stress damage now, so the arm is a little shaky. I'll try it with six. You might want to stand behind me at this point. Whoa! That made a mess. I'll try it with four. That worked. I'll try it with six again. There we go. I just need a little practice. This might actually be good exercise. :rommie:

He's a situation-specific dog person...though he does seem more like a cat person now that you mention it. And that jogged a faint memory...
I remember that existing, but I never watched it.

Lou cuts an imposing figure. :rommie:

I can't recall them mentioning the Hartleys having a car, though that could be. Howard having a car did come up recently.
That's probably what I'm thinking of.

He could only dream of such a thing.

* Linc's stunt double: Coming Soon!™
If only he had a better agent, he could have beat Lee Majors by a decade. :rommie:

"Kick 'im, Linco!"
:D

Probably a bunch of product placement fifty years ago.
Definitely--the show is all about selling tourism, even while they depict Honolulu as the murder capital of the world.

Maybe the baddie was playing IMF when he burned his notes. :rommie:
Maybe he's got a portfolio on his coffee table with glossy pictures of where the gems are hidden.

It was a good portrayal of a POTUS engaging in shady dealings while maintaining plausible deniability. He'd make vague suggestions to an underling and the underling would go see to the details of the black ops operations.

Heh. It was the falling out of the vehicle part. "We chased him for a while and then he died. Then we got some burgers."
He fell out of the vehicle because he was succumbing to his wound.

Yeah, but that's a major injury. If nothing else, it's going to leave some scarring.
Clearly he wasn't paying that much attention between his trips.

When we reveal that Gilligan's Island is part of the Land of the Lost. I like how this is coming together. :rommie:
You have to toss in Far Out Space Nuts.

Yeah, that makes sense, especially little UHF stations.
I couldn't say exactly when it went away, but it was likely just around the corner at that point as 24/7 cable options grew.

You might want to stand behind me at this point.
Okay...will 132 miles do?

This might actually be good exercise. :rommie:
Does this make me an influencer?

I remember that existing, but I never watched it.
All this time I've been watching TOC, I've had the vague memory of Felix as a cartoon cat rattling in the back of my noggin.

Last edited:
Definitely--the show is all about selling tourism, even while they depict Honolulu as the murder capital of the world.
Mixed messages. :rommie:

Maybe he's got a portfolio on his coffee table with glossy pictures of where the gems are hidden.
This could have been a backdoor pilot. :rommie:

It was a good portrayal of a POTUS engaging in shady dealings while maintaining plausible deniability. He'd make vague suggestions to an underling and the underling would go see to the details of the black ops operations.
That sounds familiar.

He fell out of the vehicle because he was succumbing to his wound.
I know, but it just seemed to fizzle. Probably just my impression.

Clearly he wasn't paying that much attention between his trips.
I guess not. And for two years. I'd call him an inattentive husband. :rommie:

You have to toss in Far Out Space Nuts.
I'll have to do some research. I never saw that one.

I couldn't say exactly when it went away, but it was likely just around the corner at that point as 24/7 cable options grew.
I wonder if it had anything to do with deregulation. I have some vague memory of broadcasting regulations changing in the Reagan Era.

Okay...will 132 miles do?
Find cover, just in case.

Does this make me an influencer?
You're an expensive influencer. I'm still missing two quarters. :rommie:

All this time I've been watching TOC, I've had the vague memory of Felix as a cartoon cat rattling in the back of my noggin.
It's a cute idea, because they do fit the dog and cat stereotypes. I didn't like the theme song, though.

Late summer 1973 saw Harry Nilsson in New York putting the finishig touches on his 'A Little Touch of Schmilsson In the Night' album, his divorce from his wife Diane having been finalized in July.

One evening, after leaving the studio, a slightly drunk Harry, instead of heading for the Park Lane Hotel where he had been staying, wandered over to the nearby Hotel St. Moritz, which had in its lobby, an ice cream parlor called Rumpelmeyer's. On impulse, Harry went in and sat at a table.

Working that night was nineteen year old Irish exchange student Una O'Keefe, in town for the summer with her friend Grianne on a two month work visa before heading back to Ireland to complete her college studies.

Una came over to the table, Harry looked up and said, 'You have the most beautiful eyes. Will you marry me?' Una, having born the brunt of several other marriage proposals during her time as a waitress, brushed Harry off, but Harry was insistant, asking Una and Grianne what they liked, to which they replied, 'Mellons and flowers.' Harry thanked them, got up, paid the bill and left. Una and Grianne went back to work, thinking they would never see Harry again.

Shortly before closing, the manager approached Una and Grianne and said that there was a man outside in a limo wanting to see them.

Una and Grianne stepped outside to see Harry standing next to a black limo with a bouquet of flowers, honeydew mellons and stuffed toys. The two girls jumped into the limo and Harry had the chauffer drive around Manhatten showing the two the sights. That night Harry asked Una to drive cross country with him back to L.A. Even though her employment at the restaurant was due to end, and her return to Ireland was only a couple of weeks away for the start of the college semester, Una said 'Yes' and two days later, the pair found themselves traveling down to Washington D.C. to attend the Watergate hearings and stay at the Watergate Hotel, before heading cross county to L.A. via a stop in Las Vegas to see Liza Minnelli.

Once in L.A., the pair moved into Harry's penthouse appartment at the Fountain Building, where he had been staying following his divorce from Diane.

After a few days recuperating from the trip, Una flew back to New York, then Ireland, with the promise to keep in touch and see each other over the Christmas/New Year holiday.

(As an aside - I would like to take just a minute to point out that Harry was 32 at the time he met Una. They married shortly after her 22nd birthday, with Ringo Starr as Harry's best man. They had six children and remained married until his death on 15-Jan-1994. While the age difference might seem a bit creepy to some, everyone interviewed for Harry's biography said that Una was Harry's rock, helping cure him of his alcoholism and drug abuse in the late 70s; allowing Harry to be a loving husband and doting father to his children.)

After Una had left, Harry began work on his next album. Some twenty songs were demoed and recorded in various studios around Los Angeles. They were 1) All My Life, 2) A Ring A Ring, 3) Animal Farm, 4) Bad Times, 5) Black Sails, 6) Daybreak, 7) Don't Forget Me, 8) Down By The Sea, 9) The Flying Saucer Song, 10) Had To Say No, 11) Happy Birthday Richard Perry, 12) I'd Never Thought I'd Get This Lonely, 13) Keep On Rowing, 14) Lean On Me, 15) Save The Last Dance For Me, 16) (I Want You To) Sit On My Face, 17) Turn Out The Lights, 18) Victoria, 19) What's Your Sign

However, without a producer and Una's steadying influence, Harry quickly reverted to his drinking and nocturnal habits. This time though, he had a partner in crime in John Lennon.

In the fall of 1973, Lennon was in Los Angeles with his companion May Pang, recording Lennon's 'Rock 'N Roll' album wtih producer Phil Spector, which we've already discussed.

Harry and John renewed their casual friendship since The White Album days and the pair quickly set about drinking L.A. dry, both determined to drown their sorrows in drugs and alcohol.

Along with Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, Alice Cooper, Micky Dolenz and others, they dubbed themselves 'The Hollywood Vampires', known for their nocturnal habits, bar hopping and hard partying. The hazing ritual required that you outdrink all the members in order to become a member.

After the 'Rock 'N Roll' sessions finally broke down, with Phil Spector absconding with the master tapes, Harry and John briefly toyed with the idea of Harry doing an album of Allen Toussaint covers, similar to 'Nilsson Sings Newman' a few years earlier.

The pair took a break from each other in December, with Harry flying to Ireland with Micky Dolenz and his wife Samantha Juste to visit Una and her family and John, with May Pang's encouragement, reconnecting and spending time with his son Julian.

Micky and Samantha both recognized the steadying influence Una had on Harry, and hoped that it would continue once the three returned to Los Angeles in early January, but once back, without Una at his side, Harry reconnected with John and the two picked up where they had left off, this time with destructive consquences.

Next up - the Troubador Incident

As a bonus - here's Harry's final Top Forty single 'Daybreak', released in March 1974, from the soundtrack of the movie 'Son of Dracula', where Harry plays Count Downe and Ringo Starr plays Merlin the Magician.

Although not seen in the clip, Ringo Starr is on drums, Peter Frampton is on guitar and Klaus Vormann is on bass.

Last edited:
Daniel (Donald Moffat),

My first memory of Donald is his portrayal as Garry in John Carpenter's 'The Thing'.

Back