The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

I wonder if this implies they knew about the guns and followed him.
That was the takeaway, though I didn't catch all of the exposition.

A whole episode just took place off camera. :rommie:
That's the life of a patrol cop.

"And now here's a letter from Judy in Omaha, who wants to know all your hair-styling secrets!"
"And she writes, 'Dear Casey...'"

Did MH give some indication that he watches this show or was it just a lucky assumption?
Presumably he tuned in to see Steve.

But this shows he's not very trusting of Steve, despite the hero worship, and leaving the car and gun is the behavior of someone looking to get caught. The characterization is a bit inconsistent.
Yeah, this part seemed half-baked on his part. He went through such trouble only to leave his car behind.

Not smart. He should have sent misleading letters to Steve and slipped away quietly.
Nobody gets on or off the islands when Steve's looking for them.

Did they resemble each other down to the same eye color?
Don't think they got into that. They showed a childhood picture of Gail, but the younger and older Gails being played by different actresses tells us nothing in TV Land.

That seems totally out of left field.
There was an angle to this that didn't seem worth getting into, about how they deduced that the thief had come off a freeway straight from the Portman house. It did help to implicate Lily in some fashion.

The butleress did it.
An additional detail here is that whoever broke Walter's neck was able to get up close and surprise him, which pointed to Lily by process of elimination.

So let me get this straight: Her daughter died in a commune fire, her son was killed by a maid who was out for her fortune, and now she's bonded with a woman who impersonated her dead daughter to scam her out of her estate. Why isn't Ironside recommending mental health care for this lady? And isn't impersonating a dead person a crime whether Joanna wants to press charges or not?
Got me there...but the Chief bought into Joanna's sincerity in the matter.

That's one of my favorites.
Did you catch the "Don't Y2K me"? (After the lights were turned out.)

That's the life of a patrol cop.
True, but somewhat frustrating sometimes. At least they told us the outcome.

"And she writes, 'Dear Casey...'"
:rommie:

Presumably he tuned in to see Steve.
But he would have to know he was on. Maybe they put it on the news.

Nobody gets on or off the islands when Steve's looking for them.
True, but a better plan by the bad guy is a better win for Steve.

An additional detail here is that whoever broke Walter's neck was able to get up close and surprise him, which pointed to Lily by process of elimination.
She must have been pretty strong, or else she clocked him first.

Got me there...but the Chief bought into Joanna's sincerity in the matter.
It strikes me as somewhat unhealthy. It would be one thing if the character was redeemed and Joanna forgave her or whatever, but to go on pretending she's her daughter is begging for therapy.

Did you catch the "Don't Y2K me"? (After the lights were turned out.)
Actually I did not, and I just listened again. What's the time stamp? I did hear him say, "Happy New Millennium" a year early, though. :rommie:

Preach it, Steve.
I've increasingly come to see social/political positions as not being linear, but circular. The extremists start to overlap on the far side.

But he would have to know he was on. Maybe they put it on the news.
Casey scheduled it so that he'd have time to generate some publicity. "And be sure to tune in to my talk show this week when I interview Steve McGarrett from Hawaii Five-O. Until then, keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars."

She must have been pretty strong, or else she clocked him first.
I was wondering about that.

It strikes me as somewhat unhealthy. It would be one thing if the character was redeemed and Joanna forgave her or whatever, but to go on pretending she's her daughter is begging for therapy.
They were playing it as if Joanna had a relatively short life expectancy, though I didn't catch the details of what she was ailing from...might have just been a weak heart. So the gist was that someone who cared about her was more willing to humor her.

Actually I did not, and I just listened again. What's the time stamp?
3:25, he replaces "Don't try to save me" in that line's climactic iteration. It comes off as pretty subtle in the audio, but as I recall, all of the lights actually went out when he said "Turn out the lights," and the punch line got a good audience reaction.
I did hear him say, "Happy New Millennium" a year early, though. :rommie:
So you're one of those, eh...? :p

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 2)

_______

Emergency!
"Propinquity"
Originally aired February 16, 1974
IMDb said:
Roy spends the night at John's place while his house is being fumigated, which is one night too many. A woman is trapped inside a car while it burns around her; the ambulance carrying Roy and the victim is hit by a car. A man having a heart attack refuses to leave a poker game unless John agrees to play out the man's hand. An explosion at an abandoned refinery injures several workers.

After Johnny conducts a morning radio check with Rampart from the station, Roy informs him that the termiting of his house has been unexpectedly moved up. When Johnny learns that Roy's planning to stay in a motel while Joanne and the kids stay at her mother's, Johnny offers to let Roy stay with him...but quickly insists that he's not going to give up his bed. The station is called to an accident, which they find involves a fuel truck and a fire that's spread to nearby buildings. The truck driver (Brendon Boone) frantically directs the paramedics to the driver of the car that he collided with, who's trapped under her steering wheel. Finding the spreading flames difficult to work near, the paramedics use the squad to tow the car away from them. They free the woman, and while they're consulting Rampart about her, the truck driver, Wayne Lyman, is desperate to show them that he burned himself trying to save her.

Roy accompanies the unconscious woman in the ambulance, which is soon involved in its own accident, a car slamming into its side and causing it to run off the road onto a grassy lawn. Roy checks the injuries of the ambulance driver and attendant, calls into Rampart, then tends to the car driver, assisted by the ambulance driver. Johnny hears the call in the squad, and not knowing who's involved, voluntarily responds. When Johnny arrives, Roy directs him back to the patient and attendant in the ambulance. Roy climbs aboard a second ambulance with the car drivers from both accidents and has his head abrasions tended to at Rampart, while Johnny has to apply ointment to his own singed leg without help. On the ride back to the station, Johnny informs Roy that his armchair converts into a bed.

The next morning at the station, Chet learns that Roy checked into a motel after Johnny was visited by a series of squabbling neighbors at odd hours of the morning. While Roy and Johnny are arguing, the squad is called to a possible heart attack victim named Barry (uncredited Don Hanmer) who's engaged in a high-stakes, overnight poker game in a suburban residence. An IV relieves Barry's symptoms, but he refuses to leave until he's played his hand, and Brackett doesn't want him transported until his vitals have been stabilized. Barry then agrees to leave conditionally...
Emergency23.jpg
Emergency24.jpg
As he's being wheeled out, Barry insists that Johnny not fold. Johnny sits down to his inherited hand, clearly nervous at the chip values being bet. Back at Rampart, he reveals that he won the hand, though Barry was bluffing.

The argument between Roy and Johnny resumes as they return to the station, but they haven't gotten out of the squad when Station 51 and several other units are called to an explosion at a refinery that the dispatcher identifies as abandoned, though the crews end up having to free and rescue several injured and trapped workers, with no in-story explanation for the contradiction. (The dispatch calls were likely added in later, so I assume that this one brought a continuity error with it.) In the aftermath, Roy and Johnny mend fences, with Roy offering to return the favor someday.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
"Lou's Second Date"
Wiki said:
Lou and Rhoda begin dating casually, and everyone—especially Mary—wonders how serious the relationship is turning. Valerie Harper's final appearance as a regular cast member.

Lou needs a date to a formal dinner hosted by the station manager and tries to get Mary to go with him, though she's starting to come down with something. When Lou shows up at Mary's in his tux, he finds her in her robe because her symptoms have worsened, and he's less than enthusiastic when Mary tells him that she's arranged for Rhoda to go with him.

Lou: She dresses funny.
Mary: No she doesn't.
Lou: Well what about the time when we went to lunch together, and she had on that T-shirt that said, "I live to boogie"?​

While things start off awkwardly when Lou assumes that Rhoda still needs to change, the next day we learn that he had a good time, and he calls Mary to see how she's doing and ask about going out with Rhoda again. Mary puts Rhoda on and she accepts his invitation to a hockey game...claiming to be doing nothing on Friday but subsequently breaking the date she already had.

On the night of the game, Mary's feeling better and Sue Ann is tidying up her place. Rhoda comes home and Mary fishes for info about how the date went, which Rhoda initially evades, though she eventually describes how low-pressure the relationship is, making it sound strictly platonic. At the station, Lou acts defensive when he thinks Mary's asking him about dating Rhoda, and gossip starts to spread among the others. Rhoda drops in and agrees to another date, though she's confused at how funny everyone's acting toward her. The date turns out to be an awkward dinner at Rhoda's. When Mary pops by and acts uncomfortable about seeing them together, Lou and Rhoda question themselves about whether there is actually anything going on between them. They agree that it's best to stop seeing each other, but as Lou's leaving, he says to hell with what people think and asks her to another game.

In the coda, Sue Ann tries to fish for a date with Lou, but he fends her off by suggesting they go to the driving range.

There's a subgag involving Ted using a new product that gradually darkens his hair with each scene.

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
"By the Way...You're Fired"
Wiki said:
Distracted by a new boyfriend, Carol neglects her duties at the office and is fired by Jerry for incompetence.

The episode opens with Jerry being annoyed by Carol taking calls at the desk and mistyping notifications as love letters to her current beau, magazine writer and would-be novelist Don Livingston. Jerry vents to Bob in his office about the situation, but doesn't want to confront her directly. Carol brings Don (Richard Schaal) to the Hartleys' for Howard's 40th birthday party, where he proves to be something of a blowhard doofus. Howard's date is a stewardess named Mary Ellen (Jill Jaress), while Jerry thinks he's been stood up. But it turns out that in addition to neglecting to give Bob a message about picking up the cake, Carol also neglected to give Jerry one from Gail about changing their rendezvous time and place...and thus Jerry has stood her up. As Jerry's leaving to pick up Gail, he casually tells Carol that she's fired. (It's ironic that Jerry's dealbreaker involves not having gotten a personal message.) The next morning at the office, Carol is packing up her things, but Jerry tries to get her to stay, telling her that she's forgiven. She wants more, so Bob helps egg him on into insincerely begging for her to stay and apologizing. But when Jerry subsequently starts to lay down new rules, he and Carol get into an argument and he re-fires her.

A conference about the Carol situation is held in Bob's office with some of the other doctors on the floor, including Bernie Tupperman, plastic surgeon Phil Newman (Howard Platt in a recurring role established earlier this season), and Dr. Tetzi (Gene Blakely, reprising a role from this season's Christmas episode). Newman is vocally in favor of dumping Carol, while Bernie defends her. The doctors find themselves distracted by going out to the desk to take their own calls. The audience having been reminded along the way that Tupperman's a urologist, the doctors decide to take a vote, but need something to put the ballots in...

Bernie: Maybe we could use a bowl. I got one in my office.
Bob (blocking Bernie): No-no, no-no!​

They borrow a hat from a man who comes off the elevator (Dick Wilson), and the vote turns out to be a tie as Jerry abstained. Bob comes home as Carol and Don are visiting to announce to Carol that Jerry ultimately lobbied in favor of keeping her. Carol expresses her gratitude when Jerry follows, though Don, who was out of the room soaking his feet, slaps Jerry for always firing his girl.

This episode seemed to be setting Dr. Newman up as a nemesis for Carol (there were a couple more beats to this effect). I wonder if that will be revisited.

_______

I've increasingly come to see social/political positions as not being linear, but circular. The extremists start to overlap on the far side.
I've been telling people for a while that the political spectrum has become a Mobius Strip. :rommie: And then there's that old Clint Eastwood quote....

Casey scheduled it so that he'd have time to generate some publicity. "And be sure to tune in to my talk show this week when I interview Steve McGarrett from Hawaii Five-O. Until then, keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars."

I was wondering about that.
Come to think of it, they said something about a head injury, I think.

They were playing it as if Joanna had a relatively short life expectancy, though I didn't catch the details of what she was ailing from...might have just been a weak heart. So the gist was that someone who cared about her was more willing to humor her.
I had forgotten about the illness angle. Even so, I would be troubled by the whole thing.

3:25, he replaces "Don't try to save me" in that line's climactic iteration. It comes off as pretty subtle in the audio, but as I recall, all of the lights actually went out when he said "Turn out the lights," and the punch line got a good audience reaction.
Aha, okay. I was listening for chatter and never caught the lyrics change.

So you're one of those, eh...? :p
One of those who can count to a hundred? Yes. :angel:

Interesting. I've never come across that before.

"Propinquity"
Word-of-the-Day!

Roy's planning to stay in a motel while Joanne and the kids stay at her mother's
Why can't Roy spend the night at the station, a place with beds that he has access to and where he frequently, y'know, spends the night?

Finding the spreading flames difficult to work near, the paramedics use the squad to tow the car away from them.
Good thinking.

the truck driver, Wayne Lyman, is desperate to show them that he burned himself trying to save her.
Aw, he wants to be the hero. Or he caused the accident and he feels guilty.

Roy accompanies the unconscious woman in the ambulance, which is soon involved in its own accident
Good thing she's unconscious or she'd develop a persecution complex. :rommie:

Roy climbs aboard a second ambulance with the car drivers from both accidents and has his head abrasions tended to at Rampart, while Johnny has to apply ointment to his own singed leg without help.
I hope they get the rest of the day off, at least.

On the ride back to the station, Johnny informs Roy that his armchair converts into a bed.
A Castro Convertible! :rommie:

Barry then agrees to leave conditionally...
View attachment 38714
View attachment 38715
It would have been funny if he consulted with Brackett on how to play the hand. :rommie:

Back at Rampart, he reveals that he won the hand, though Barry was bluffing.
I wonder if Barry shared his winnings.

an explosion at a refinery that the dispatcher identifies as abandoned, though the crews end up having to free and rescue several injured and trapped workers, with no in-story explanation for the contradiction.
That should be easy enough to justify. They were an inspection team or cleanup crew or something.

Roy and Johnny mend fences, with Roy offering to return the favor someday.
"Dude, the next time you need some propinquity, I'm your guy."

Lou: She dresses funny.
Mary: No she doesn't.
Lou: Well what about the time when we went to lunch together, and she had on that T-shirt that said, "I live to boogie"?​
Yeah, that qualifies as funny. :rommie:

Mary puts Rhoda on and she accepts his invitation to a hockey game...claiming to be doing nothing on Friday but subsequently breaking the date she already had.
They're temperamentally compatible and only about ten years apart in age, even though it seems like it should be more.

Mary's feeling better and Sue Ann is tidying up her place.
Sue Ann is tidying up Mary's place? That seems unlikely.

Rhoda comes home and Mary fishes for info about how the date went, which Rhoda initially evades, though she eventually describes how low-pressure the relationship is, making it sound strictly platonic.
Evasion and understatement. She's obviously lying. :rommie: She wouldn't normally lie to Mary, so she must be uncomfortable about talking about her boss. Perhaps she's oversensitive after the thing with Mary's resume.

They agree that it's best to stop seeing each other, but as Lou's leaving, he says to hell with what people think and asks her to another game.
Yeah, what's everybody's problem?

Don (Richard Schaal)
He was popping up quite a bit for a while.

he proves to be something of a blowhard doofus.
It's weird that Carol is written as being unusually smitten to the point of distraction, yet there's nothing special about the guy and the story doesn't involve him at all.

(It's ironic that Jerry's dealbreaker involves not having gotten a personal message.)
Good point. Although it probably wouldn't hold much weight with the other doctors. :rommie:

A conference about the Carol situation is held in Bob's office with some of the other doctors on the floor
This raises all sorts of questions about her job. Do all these doctors belong to a joint practice and she works for all of them? If so, who handles their personnel issues and such?

Bernie: Maybe we could use a bowl. I got one in my office.
Bob (blocking Bernie): No-no, no-no!​

This episode seemed to be setting Dr. Newman up as a nemesis for Carol (there were a couple more beats to this effect). I wonder if that will be revisited.
Could be. I don't recall.

I've been telling people for a while that the political spectrum has become a Mobius Strip. :rommie:
I may have shared my view before, then, as I recall you mentioning that in the past.
And then there's that old Clint Eastwood quote....
You'll have to refresh my memory on that one.

Word-of-the-Day!
Turns out that I didn't actually know what that meant.

Why can't Roy spend the night at the station, a place with beds that he has access to and where he frequently, y'know, spends the night?
I imagine there'd be regulations about that. He'd have to be on duty; and I believe there's been mention of other crews using the station on the regulars' days off, though I don't think we've ever seen them.

Aw, he wants to be the hero. Or he caused the accident and he feels guilty.
More the latter--he wanted to prove that he did what he could.

It would have been funny if he consulted with Brackett on how to play the hand. :rommie:
Yeah, nothing like loudly announcing what you've got in your hand...

I wonder if Barry shared his winnings.
Didn't get the impression...that's the sort of thing that could have been its own Johnny subplot.

Sue Ann is tidying up Mary's place? That seems unlikely.
Playing mother hen and polishing her chairs. She was at least as concerned about the chairs as Mary.

He was popping up quite a bit for a while.
He was Valerie Harper's husband at the time.

It's weird that Carol is written as being unusually smitten to the point of distraction, yet there's nothing special about the guy and the story doesn't involve him at all.
She thought that he was really deep; and he got some substantial screentime, I just didn't get into the details much.

This raises all sorts of questions about her job. Do all these doctors belong to a joint practice and she works for all of them? If so, who handles their personnel issues and such?
They seemed pretty ill-prepared here considering that they've had to get subs for Carol before.

You'll have to refresh my memory on that one.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood

Turns out that I didn't actually know what that meant.
It was a very weird choice for an Emergency! title. :rommie:

I imagine there'd be regulations about that. He'd have to be on duty; and I believe there's been mention of other crews using the station on the regulars' days off, though I don't think we've ever seen them.
I suppose so, but you'd think he could get approval for one night.

Yeah, nothing like loudly announcing what you've got in your hand...
Yeah, I guess stage whispers would be a bit too comical for an adventure show. :rommie:

Didn't get the impression...that's the sort of thing that could have been its own Johnny subplot.
It would have been funny to stretch it out beyond the point of plausibility.

He was Valerie Harper's husband at the time.
Ah, I didn't know that, or had forgotten. That explains all the MTM credits in his short filmography.

She thought that he was really deep; and he got some substantial screentime, I just didn't get into the details much.
Still, he was more of a plot device than a plot.

They seemed pretty ill-prepared here considering that they've had to get subs for Carol before.
They're all pretty bumbling outside of their specialties. :rommie:

My friends and I came to that conclusion 40 years ago.
In my own personal timeline, as far as the current political mess goes, I date it to 1993. I get a kick out of watching Gen Z commentary videos where they complain about how bad things have gotten since they were kids-- ten years ago. :rommie:

50 Years Ago This Week

February 25
  • The first issue of People magazine, post-dated March 4, 1974, went on sale at newsstands and supermarkets in the United States as a new weekly publication from Time Inc., providing news and photographs of celebrities and some stories about non-celebrities. Actress Mia Farrow was the first person to be featured on the cover of the magazine, which was sold for 35 cents, and subscriptions were initially not available.
And George Harrison turns 31. :beer:

February 26
  • The Gambell incident occurred when a Soviet ice reconnaissance aircraft was running low on fuel and made an emergency landing in the United States. The Antonov An-24 touched down at the airport at Gambell, Alaska on St. Lawrence Island with 15 people on board; the 12 passengers were all Soviet scientists. Two days later, the An-24 was refueled by a U.S. Air Force C-130 airplane and departed at 7:30 in the evening.
  • "SN 1974C", a supernova that had occurred at least 46 million years earlier, was observed on Earth for the first time. The supernova was first spotted from Earth by astronomer Arp van der Kruit.

February 27
  • U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger was in Damascus meeting with Syrian President Hafez Assad, and because the meeting "lasted longer than expected", he apparently avoided an assassination attempt that would have been made on him at the Umayyad Mosque. Syrian intelligence officials said that they learned about the plot only after the missed visit.

February 28
  • Egypt and the United States restored full diplomatic relations for the first time in almost seven years as the U.S. Embassy reopened in Cairo. U.S. Ambassador Hermann F. Eilts was received by Egypt's President Anwar Sadat and Egyptian Ambassador Ashraf Ghorbal was designated to come to the Egyptian Embassy in Washington.
  • Bobby Bloom, 28, American singer and songwriter, was shot to death at the home of his former girlfriend, either in a suicide or a murder.

March
  • During this month, recording sessions for a Harry Nilsson album, Pussy Cats, begin under John Lennon's direction. The sessions collapse into mayhem at the studios and the wildness continues unabated at the Santa Monica home John shares with Nilsson, Keith Moon, and Ringo Starr.

March 1
  • Seven former high-ranking aides to U.S. President Richard M. Nixon were indicted by a federal grand jury in Washington. The grand jury declined to name any persons believed to be connected, but not indicted, issuing the list as a secret report for a federal judge's consideration, but in June, President Nixon himself would be identified as one of the persons who had been named by the grand jury on March 1 as an unindicted co-conspirator. The former White House staffers charged with conspiracy to violate election laws were U.S. Attorney General John N. Mitchell; White House Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman; domestic affairs advisor John Ehrlichman; White House counsel Charles Colson; and aides Gordon C. Strachan, Robert Mardian and Kenneth Parkinson. Mitchell, Haldeman, Ehrlichman and Colson would serve prison sentences ranging from seven to 19 months.

March 2
  • A U.S. Army soldier, Spec. 5 William A. Thompson Jr, stole a 50-ton M60 tank from the Turner Barracks in West Berlin and drove it through the Checkpoint Charlie border crossing and into Communist East Berlin, then caused chaos over the next 70 minutes, swiveling the turret and its 105mm cannon toward East German and Soviet troops. Thompson drove to the Drewitz checkpoint on the East Berlin side, where the Russians permitted his commanding officer, Captain Thomas Grace, and two other people to cross the border to persuade Thompson to surrender. Another soldier then drove the M60 tank back to West Germany and Thompson was led back across the border in handcuffs.

And starting Friday, we'll be back in day/date sync with 50th Anniversaryland for the next two years.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week, with a Bubbling Under bonus:
1. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
2. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand
3. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford
4. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks
5. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
6. "Rock On," David Essex
7. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin
8. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
9. "Dark Lady," Cher
10. "Put Your Hands Together," The O'Jays
11. "You're Sixteen," Ringo Starr
12. "I Love," Tom T. Hall
13. "Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor
14. "Love Song," Anne Murray
15. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John
16. "Last Time I Saw Him," Diana Ross
17. "Sunshine on My Shoulders," John Denver
18. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades
19. "Sexy Mama," The Moments
20. "Jet," Paul McCartney & Wings
21. "Americans," Byron MacGregor
22. "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
23. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier
24. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
25. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones
26. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson
27. "Midnight Rider," Gregg Allman
28. "There Won't Be Anymore," Charlie Rich
29. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King
30. "Mighty Love, Pt. 1," The Spinners
31. "The Joker," Steve Miller Band
32. "Bennie and the Jets," Elton John

36. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
37. "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips
38. "Hooked on a Feeling," Blue Swede

40. "Smokin' in the Boys Room," Brownsville Station

42. "Living for the City," Stevie Wonder
43. "Baby Come Close," Smokey Robinson
44. "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me," Gladys Knight & The Pips

46. "Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack

50. "The Lord's Prayer," Sister Janet Mead
51. "A Very Special Love Song," Charlie Rich

53. "You Sure Love to Ball," Marvin Gaye

57. "Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient

60. "Jolene," Dolly Parton

65. "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)," MFSB feat. The Three Degrees

67. "Let It Ride," Bachman-Turner Overdrive

69. "Touch a Hand, Make a Friend," The Staple Singers

72. "She's Gone," Daryl Hall & John Oates
73. "I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song," Jim Croce

78. "My Mistake (Was to Love You)," Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye

84. "Piano Man," Billy Joel

87. "Tubular Bells," Mike Oldfield

90. "Midnight at the Oasis," Maria Muldaur

101. "Us and Them," Pink Floyd

Leaving the chart:
  • "Jessica," The Allman Brothers Band (6 weeks)
  • "The Most Beautiful Girl," Charlie Rich (22 weeks)
  • "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up," Barry White (18 weeks)
  • "Time in a Bottle," Jim Croce (15 weeks)

Bubbling Under:

"Us and Them," Pink Floyd
(#101 US; not the single edit)

Recent and new on the chart:

"My Mistake (Was to Love You)," Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye
(Feb. 23; #19 US; #15 R&B; #51 UK)

"A Very Special Love Song," Charlie Rich
(Feb. 23; #11 US; #1 AC; #1 Country; #52 UK)

"I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song," Jim Croce
(#9 US; #1 AC; #68 Country; #52 UK)

"TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)," MFSB feat. The Three Degrees
(#1 US the weeks of Apr. 20 and 27, 1974; #1 AC; #1 R&B; #22 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Adam-12, "Skywatch: Part 1"
  • Hawaii Five-O, "30,000 Rooms and I Have the Key" (season finale)
  • Kung Fu, "The Passion of Chen Yi"
  • Ironside, "Close to the Heart"
  • The Brady Bunch, "The Hustler"
  • The Odd Couple, "The Insomniacs"
  • All in the Family, "Gloria Sings the Blues"
  • M*A*S*H, "A Smattering of Intelligence" (season finale)
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "I Was a Single for WJM" (season finale)
  • The Bob Newhart Show, "A Matter of Principal" (season finale)

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month and Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles Day by Day, with minor editing as needed.

_______

"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood
Ah, so Clint was thinking three-dimensionally...politics are spherical.

Ah, I didn't know that, or had forgotten.
Forgotten. It came up the first time he appeared on MTM. :p

Still, he was more of a plot device than a plot.
I'd agree with that.

In my own personal timeline, as far as the current political mess goes, I date it to 1993. I get a kick out of watching Gen Z commentary videos where they complain about how bad things have gotten since they were kids-- ten years ago. :rommie:
I was just watching a two-part documentary, The Untold Story of the 90s. Its commentary attributed the current trend of obstructionist political extremism as having begun with the Gingrich-led government shutdown in '95.

Last edited:
And George Harrison turns 31. :beer:
Happy Birthday, George.
Birthday-Cake-Animated.gif

The Gambell incident occurred when a Soviet ice reconnaissance aircraft was running low on fuel and made an emergency landing in the United States. The Antonov An-24 touched down at the airport at Gambell, Alaska on St. Lawrence Island with 15 people on board; the 12 passengers were all Soviet scientists. Two days later, the An-24 was refueled by a U.S. Air Force C-130 airplane and departed at 7:30 in the evening.
Well. That was nice. It's not that hard to get along.

a supernova that had occurred at least 46 million years earlier, was observed on Earth for the first time.
It's about time. This is why supernovas can't hold down a job.

Bobby Bloom, 28, American singer and songwriter, was shot to death at the home of his former girlfriend, either in a suicide or a murder.
They should have called in Ironside.

The sessions collapse into mayhem at the studios and the wildness continues unabated at the Santa Monica home John shares with Nilsson, Keith Moon, and Ringo Starr.
Good mayhem or bad mayhem? :rommie:

A U.S. Army soldier, Spec. 5 William A. Thompson Jr, stole a 50-ton M60 tank from the Turner Barracks in West Berlin and drove it through the Checkpoint Charlie border crossing and into Communist East Berlin, then caused chaos over the next 70 minutes, swiveling the turret and its 105mm cannon toward East German and Soviet troops.
"Take that, helicopter guy!"

"Us and Them," Pink Floyd
Classic Pink Floyd. Funny how most people call the Rolling Stones the Stones, but nobody calls Pink Floyd the Floyd.

"My Mistake (Was to Love You)," Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye
Zero recollection of this, and it's not especially memorable.

"A Very Special Love Song," Charlie Rich
Zero recollection of this also, and also not especially memorable.

"I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song," Jim Croce
Jim Croce. 'nuff said.

"TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)," MFSB feat. The Three Degrees
Catchy, and only 99% an instrumental. :rommie:

Ah, so Clint was thinking three-dimensionally...politics are spherical.
He was used to drawing a bead on multiple targets. :rommie:

Forgotten. It came up the first time he appeared on MTM. :p
I'm going to start adding the "or forgotten" disclaimer to everything. If I think of it.

I was just watching a two-part documentary, The Untold Story of the 90s. Its commentary attributed the current trend of obstructionist political extremism as having begun with the Gingrich-led government shutdown in '95.
Gingrich's bigger contribution was more than ten years earlier when he weaponized identity politics and codified hate politics in his little pamphlet. But the real problems began when the Left Wing decided it would be profitable to follow his example, which was around the early 90s. There were other factors at play, too. You can kind of map the grievances surrounding various presidential elections, starting with the first Bush, to growing partisanship. And of course there was the rise of social media. One of the reasons I give 1993 as the key year (which is entirely my subjective experience) is that that's the year I got on the Internet and experienced things like forums and chat rooms for the first time. And it was also the year I went to work at BMC, which opened up a whole new world to me, and the year that I noticed the decline of the Left Wing being satirized in pop culture venues like Doonesbury. But politics and society are in constant flux and you can retroactively look at things even in the 60s and 70s that are the seeds of what's happening now.

Some 50th Anniversary catch-up releases

February 18th - KISS with their self-titled debut album

ab67616d0000b273cde5d6c03bff6cf351543529

February 20th - Steely Dan release 'Pretzel Logic', their last featuring the original line-up before Becker and Fagen decided to stop touring and start using studio musicians for subsequent albums.

Pretzel_Logic_album.jpg

Also February 20th - Sweet appear on German television show Musikladen to promote their upcoming album 'Sweet Fanny Adams' with a performance of the title song

The first album recorded after the band had dismissed songwriters/producers Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, it saw the band writing their own material and moving away from bubblegum pop/glam rock into a more heavy rock sound.

February 21st - Big Star release their second album 'Radio City.'

428629710_1042394133912101_8750174447221219933_n.jpg

Some music stores in the South refuse to carry it because of the images of the Karma Sutru that can be seen on the album cover.

Last edited:
During this month, recording sessions for a Harry Nilsson album, Pussy Cats, begin under John Lennon's direction. The sessions collapse into mayhem at the studios and the wildness continues unabated at the Santa Monica home John shares with Nilsson, Keith Moon, and Ringo Starr.

The sessions for 'Pussy Cats' would begin on 28-March-1974 and continue through 12-Apr-1974. Produced during Lennon's famous 'Lost Weekend' phase, the sessions would be notorious for producing the bootleg 'A Toot And A Snore '74'; consisting of the only known recording session in which John Lennon and Paul McCartney played together after the break-up of the Beatles in 1970. I'll go into more detail once we reach the end of March.

A_Toot_and_a_Snore_in_%2774.jpg

Happy Birthday, George.
Seems it was also Anson Mount's birthday...he's exactly 30 years younger than George.

Good mayhem or bad mayhem? :rommie:
General Bacchanalian chaos that characterized John's "Lost Weekend" period in L.A., from what I can recall having read of. Darren may have more details.

Classic Pink Floyd. Funny how most people call the Rolling Stones the Stones, but nobody calls Pink Floyd the Floyd.
There's no definite article in the long form, for one thing...though I wouldn't be surprised if had appeared on some early record labels, as often seemed to be the case for '60s acts.

Zero recollection of this, and it's not especially memorable.
It's been in my shuffle for a while, and I find it more memorable than their last single together...if only because the refrain melody sounds a bit like "Reach Out I'll Be There".

Zero recollection of this also, and also not especially memorable.
Still not feeling it for Charlie Rich in general.

Jim Croce. 'nuff said.
This will be his last major posthumous hit. His next charting single will peak in the 30s.

Catchy, and only 99% an instrumental. :rommie:
Wiki says that this is the first TV theme to reach #1...I'm pretty sure I've heard/read some claiming that was the still-upcoming "Theme from S.W.A.T.," though its own Wiki page makes no such claim. I also read that Don Cornelius wouldn't let them identify "TSOP" as being the theme from Soul Train, whatever the reason.

Gingrich's bigger contribution was more than ten years earlier when he weaponized identity politics and codified hate politics in his little pamphlet.
I'm not sure what this refers to...I'm not seeing anything on his Wiki page about a written work from the early '80s. There is mention of a memo in 1990.

Produced during Lennon's famous 'Lost Weekend' phase, the sessions would be notorious for producing the bootleg 'A Toot And A Snore '74'; consisting of the only known recording session in which John Lennon and Paul McCartney played together after the break-up of the Beatles in 1970.
That's interesting...I'd read that they'd jammed together at a party during that period, but I can't recall having read that they recorded together.

February 18th - KISS with their self-titled debut album
I'll admit to liking KISS. :rommie:

February 20th - Steely Dan release 'Pretzel Logic'
Also a great band.

Also February 20th - Sweet appear on German television show Musikladen to promote their upcoming album 'Sweet Fanny Adams' with a performance of the title song
I'm not familiar with that song, but I do like The Sweet.

February 21st - Big Star release their second album 'Radio City.'
I'm not familiar with these guys.

Seems it was also Anson Mount's birthday...he's exactly 30 years younger than George.
Happy Birthday, Captain Pike. I hope you got a nice big supply of hair gel.

General Bacchanalian chaos that characterized John's "Lost Weekend" period in L.A., from what I can recall having read of. Darren may have more details.
That's good chaos. As long as there's no violence or injuries. :rommie:

There's no definite article in the long form, for one thing...
That's a good point.

Still not feeling it for Charlie Rich in general.
No, but he's got a couple of things that I like for nostalgic reasons.

I also read that Don Cornelius wouldn't let them identify "TSOP" as being the theme from Soul Train, whatever the reason.
That's odd. It would have been good publicity.

I'm not sure what this refers to...I'm not seeing anything on his Wiki page about a written work from the early '80s. There is mention of a memo in 1990.
That's definitely what I was thinking of, which was later than I thought. But he had been doing stuff like that for a while, so my memory must be conflating it all. In any case, they were practicing those strategies, as well as the religious and racial identity stuff, early in the Reagan Administration.

Good mayhem or bad mayhem?

Yeah, once we get closer to the actual recording dates I'll post some stories from the Nilsson biography and the liner notes to 'Pussy Cats.'

If you don't want to wait, then I suggest you look up 'John Lennon, Troubadour incident' for some of the debauchery that Nilsson and Lennon engaged in.

I'm not familiar with these guys.

You might not be familiar with them, but you know who the co-founder is and you've probably heard a cover version of one of their songs.

The co-founder of 'Big Star' is Alex Chilton, former lead singer of the Box Tops, who had a Number One hit with the song, 'The Letter' in August 1967 when Alex was just 17.

After Alex left the Box Tops in February 1970, he moved to New York to try his hand at becoming a folk singer, recording several songs/demos for an album that was never released until 2011, shortly after his death.

Returning to Memphis, Alex hooked up with Chris Bell, who initially wanted to form a folk-rock duo modeled after Simon & Garfunkel.

However, after Alex saw a performance by Chris Bell's band 'Icewater', with drummer Jody Stephens and bassist Andy Hummel, Alex played them his demos and was invited to join the band, who subsequently changed their name to 'Big Star' after a Memphis supermarket chain.

The band recorded their debut album, '#1 Record' over several months at Ardent Studios in Memphis. Alex and Chris each brought their own compositions to the sessions, each one helping the other finish the lyrics and tighten the arrangements, with Chris being a perfectionist to the point of obsessive-compulsive about the tiniest details of the placement of instruments and vocals in the mix. Alex would later say that most of the initial backing tracks were captured in one or two takes, but the overdubbing would stretch several weeks as Chris would tinker continuously with mix to the point of wearing out the master tapes.

The album was finally released on April 24, 1972 to critical praise, with several critics putting it in their top ten/five best release of the year, and commercial indifference, selling less than 10,000 copies upon release.

One song from the album, 'In The Street' would subsequently be covered by Cheap Trick and used as the theme song for the television series 'That '70s Show.'

The failure of the album would have a profound effect on Chris Bell, who had a falling out with Alex, Jody and Andy, suffered a nervous breakdown, was briefly institutionalized and left the music business, managing his father's chain of fast-food restaurants.

Prior to his dismissal, Chris wrote four songs - 'Oh My Soul', 'Back Of A Car', 'There Was A Light', and 'I Got Kinda Lost' - two of which, 'Oh My Soul' and 'Back Of A Car', would be recorded without Chris involvement for the album 'Radio City', and he would remain uncredited on the album. The other two would be recorded during sessions for Chris comeback album.

He was planing a comeback in 1975/76, reconciling with Alex, releasing the single 'I Am The Cosmos' b/w 'You And Your Sister' and, with the help of his brother arranging it, recording and mixing several songs for a proposed album at George Martin's AIR Studios in London with producer Geoff Emerick, briefly meeting Paul McCartney, who would subsequently title his forthcoming album 'Wings At The Speed Of Sound' after hearing Chris Bell's song 'Speed Of Sound', before dying on December 27, 1978, at the age of twenty-seven in a car accident on his way home from work. The album 'I Am The Cosmos' would be released posthumously by his brother in 1992.

After Chris dismissal from the band, Alex, Jody and Chris continued on as a trio, recording the album 'Radio City'. Without Chris guiding hand at the mixing desk, the album has a looser, more ramshackle feel than its predecessor.

The album was released on February 20, 1974, again to critical success, with many critics puting in their top ten/five releases of the year in end of the year polls, but commercial failure. Two singles were released from the album 'Oh My Soul' b/w 'Morpha Too'/'I'm In Love With A Girl' and 'September Gurls' b/w 'Mod Lang'.

The Bangles would subsequently cover the song on their album 'A Different Light', released in January 1986, and Katy Perry would title her song 'California Gurls' as a tribute to 'September Gurls'. Rolling Stone magazine lists 'September Gurls' at number 178 of the '500 Greatest Singles'.

A minor bit of trivia, when interviewed about the making of the album for the box set release, when asked why 'Radio City' seemingly has no flow/structure to it; Alex, Jody and Andy said that the songs are pretty much in the order in which they were recorded.

As each song was finished, it was placed at the end of the master reel. They got so used to hearing the songs that way when listening to the playback of the master tapes, that when it came time to press the album, they couldn't come up with an order that sounded as good to them as that, so they said 'F×ck it' and released it that way.

After the failure of 'Radio City', Andy Hummel left the band, and the music business becoming an electrical engineer. Alex and Jody continued on as a duo, recording the album 'Third'/'Sister Lovers' in 1974; which would remain unreleased until 1978, due to financial difficulties at Ardent records.

Alex would continue on with a solo career, while Jody would become the in-house engineer/producer at Ardent/Stax records.

The two would reform Big Star in 1993 with Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow of The Posies and tour until Alex's death from a heart attack brought about by an abscessed tooth on March 17, 2010. They were scheduled to be the opening act at the SWSX Musical Festival the day after Alex's death. The festival was dedicated to Alex. Andy would pass away later in the year from cancer. Jody continues to tour with Luther Russell as 'Those Pretty Wrongs' performing Big Star and original compositions.

Last edited:
If you don't want to wait, then I suggest you look up 'John Lennon, Troubadour incident' for some of the debauchery that Nilsson and Lennon engaged in.
I may just do that. :rommie:

The co-founder of 'Big Star' is Alex Chilton, former lead singer of the Box Tops, who had a Number One hit with the song, 'The Letter' in August 1967 when Alex was just 17.
That's a great song.

Alex would later say that most of the initial backing tracks were captured in one or two takes, but the overdubbing would stretch several weeks as Chris would tinker continuously with mix to the point of wearing out the master tapes.
Too bad he didn't live in the digital era. Or maybe it's a good thing.

The album was finally released on April 24, 1972 to critical praise, with several critics putting it in their top ten/five best release of the year, and commercial indifference, selling less than 10,000 copies upon release.
What a shame. That must have been absolutely heartbreaking. Was there some issue with marketing or something, or was it just a matter of not meshing with the current trends?

The failure of the album would have a profound effect on Chris Bell, who had a falling out with Alex, Jody and Andy, suffered a nervous breakdown, was briefly institutionalized and left the music business, managing his father's chain of fast-food restaurants.
Yeah, sounds like he was a bit intense.

before dying on December 27, 1978, at the age of twenty-seven in a car accident on his way home from work.
Well, that's awful.

The album 'I Am The Cosmos' would be released posthumously by his brother in 1992.
Good for him. That's a good brother.

The album was released on February 20, 1974, again to critical success, with many critics puting in their top ten/five releases of the year in end of the year polls, but commercial failure.
What the hell? I wonder what it is about these guys that makes critics love them but the public indifferent.

The Bangles would subsequently cover the song on their album 'A Different Light', released in January 1986
That rings a bell.

As each song was finished, it was placed at the end of the master reel. They got so used to hearing the songs that way when listening to the playback of the master tapes, that when it came time to press the album, they couldn't come up with an order that sounded as good to them as that, so they said 'F×ck it' and released it that way.
That sounds like what I would do. :rommie:

The two would reform Big Star in 1993 with Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow of The Posies and tour until Alex's death from a heart attack brought about by an abscessed tooth on March 17, 2010. They were scheduled to be the opening act at the SWSX Musical Festival the day after Alex's death. The festival was dedicated to Alex. Andy would pass away later in the year from cancer.
Well, that was a sad story of hard luck and tragedy, and talented people who deserved a better shake.

I think you're overestimating the cultural impact of Good Times.

The series' stereotypes became the de facto representation of black people on TV, commercials, etc. The negative message was not lost on Good Times' own John Amos, who touches on the black caricature that was J.J., and why he was fired from the series by Lear--

And I remember people complaining about The Cosby Show because it showed an unrealistically successful lifestyle for Blacks. You'll always get people complaining about something.

That was a generally white media-fueled response, which angered many black people who fired back with the fact that the "unrealistic" Cosby Show did not fit the critics' own preconceived notion of all black Americans "jiving", and suffering from poverty while living in Section 8 housing. Black newspapers and magazines such as Ebony published articles on the "unrealistic" criticism by stating the facts about black people in higher professional positions, profiling actual black doctors, lawyers and other professionals who were in two-parent homes. Despite The Cosby Show being one of the most successful TV series in the medium's history, there was a clear level of resentment toward its narrative because it shattered the myths pushed into pop culture by the Norman Lears of 70s TV production.

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing

_______

Adam-12
"Sunburn"
Originally aired February 19, 1974
MeTV said:
Reed returns from vacation with a full-body sunburn, making for a miserable work day. Out on patrol, he and Malloy respond to a fiery traffic accident, use an informant's tip to track down a drug dealer, search for an armed robbery suspect based on a vehicle description and attempt to rescue two boys after their rowboat capsizes.

After two days off, Reed arrives late for roll call because he's dealing with the after-effects of having fallen asleep in the sun, which include having to wear his shoes untied. On patrol, the officers come upon a traffic accident in which one car has back-ended another, the rear of the front vehicle being in an obligatorily state of combustion. The officers pull an unconscious young woman whom we later learn is called Mrs. Gardener out of the front vehicle; while the driver of the back vehicle, Bill Johnson (Paul Picerni), explains that his brakes failed when the woman stopped suddenly in front of him. A fire engine, ambulance, and tow truck arrive--We don't need no stinkin' paramedics! At Not Rampart, a nurse (future Draconian princess Pamela Hensley) gives the officers updates on Johnson and Gardener, the latter of whom has a slight concussion and a cracked rib; and Jim consults a doctor (Sam Chu Lin) about treating his condition.

Reed takes his seven in the station's locker room, soaking his feet. His pain and swelling relieved somewhat, back on patrol he declines to ticket a Mr. Hayes (Dick Whittinghill) who failed to yield for a pedestrian in a crosswalk, while favoring the shade both out of the car and in, to the point of asking Pete to drive in the direction that will give him the shady side of the unit.

The officers spot a signal from a newspaper vendor informant named Charlie (Joseph Mell), who alerts them to a neighborhood where there's a lot of dope action, indicating a potential dealer on the block. The officers scope out the shabby suburban street on foot and follow a man inside one of the houses to find him shooting up and arrest him. (Don't they need a warrant for that?) Mac relays some follow-up from Charlie, who leaves a note at a police phone box, giving the officers the name and address of a William C. Roberts, who turns out to have a record for dealing and parole violation. The narc dicks being conveniently busy, the officers handle the bust themselves, staking out Roberts's apartment. After watching the arrival of likely hypes, the officers call in backup and swoop in, busting into the apartment, arresting the occupants, and readily finding evidence.

After a broadcast about a 211 at a jewelry store, the officers spot and follow a station wagon matching the description of the suspect's vehicle...and learn that the plate belongs to a Volkswagen. They pull the car over and call for the driver to get out and lie face-down on the pavement while staying behind the cover of their doors with guns drawn. It turns out that the driver, Theodore Gunderson (Tom Geas), is the husband of the Volkswagen owner, the two of them having recently moved from Indiana, and Gunderson realizes that when he got their new plates, he must have put them on the wrong vehicles. After a follow-up broadcast indicates damage on the suspect vehicle, the officers let Gunderson go and thank him for his cooperation.

Driving by Echo Park, the officers are flagged down by a woman (Alice Backes) who alerts them to two boys in the lake whose rowboat capsized. Reed dives in and pulls out each boy in turn; following which an ambulance promptly arrives and its crew puts the boys on oxygen, proving that the whole paramedic thing is nothing but a scam!

_______

Hawaii Five-O
"Killer at Sea"
Originally aired February 19, 1974
Wiki said:
A debt ridden comedian (John Byner) complicates McGarrett's investigation aboard a cruise ship of a bank robbery and a Congressman's murder.

Business manager Vincent Gordon (Keene Curtis) makes the rounds at a series of banks while accompanied by a heavy and being driven by a man in a straw hat whose face is obscured (but resembles Byner if you're looking for him). At each bank, Gordon makes a cash withdrawal from the account of one of the clients for whom he holds power of attorney, each in the neighborhood of $20,000. At the Oahu National Bank, the manager, Weber (Norman Wright), makes an excuse to slip away and call Duke, having gotten wind of the pattern from colleagues at the other banks. Getting nervous, Gordon tries to slip out, but Weber sounds the alarm when he spots that the heavy is holding a gun on Gordon. The heavy is shot by a guard in an exchange of fire, but the driver takes out the guard and a man in a suit who comes out and tries to use the fallen guard's gun. Five-O and HPD follow the car to the pier of the cruise ship S.S. Monterey, where the driver checks in a black bag holding what we learn is a total of $500,000 and boards the ship. When Gordon is found by the police, indicating that he'd jumped out of the car and been fired at by the driver, McGarrett takes him aboard the ship to try to find the killer. But the captain (Kent Bowman) won't delay the ship's departure for a thorough search. The stakes rise when McGarrett is informed that the civilian shot by the driver at the bank was Congressman Chang, who's since died. McGarrett decides to stay on the ship with Danno, Duke, and Gordon in order to flush the killer out.

Otherwise having the full cooperation of the captain, McGarrett briefs the ship's officers regarding his plan, which includes holding Gordon under guard in a classified cabin and occasionally taking him out so the killer will have a chance to see him. While Danno's scoping out the baggage area, he runs into Byner's character, whom he recognizes as nightclub comedian Duffy Malone, and who says he's looking for the ship's doctor to treat a back problem. McGarrett takes Gordon to the dining area to try to spot the killer, and when asked asserts that Duffy--who's volunteered to provide entertainment--isn't their man. An attractive woman at another table, Elena Lewis (Gail Strickland), has champagne brought to McGarrett, which he declines to indulge in. Meeting her later in the corridor, he learns that she's a curious feature writer who's well aware of who he is...as, it turns out, is Duffy, who takes Steve aside to ask for protection, having received a threatening note from a shady debtor. While McGarrett is with Duffy, Gordon is shot at twice through the door of the cabin where he's being guarded by Duke, which leaves him frightened but unharmed.

Ben radios from the mainland that Duffy is a gambling addict who's in debt to a Vegas syndicate; and that the only passenger with a record is Frank Fallon (William Devane), a former Vegas dealer who was caught skimming and cruise ship card shark. McGarrett visits Fallon, who's been keeping to his cabin, to question him. The black bag of interest is found, now only containing the driver's straw hat, and the proximity of laundry bags leads Steve to have that avenue explored. Meanwhile, he's arranged a fire drill to get everyone on deck and have Gordon look them over, but while Gordon pauses in front of Lewis and Fallon, he claims that the killer isn't among them. During Duffy's act, Steve takes interest at Fallon and Lewis acting casually familiar. After his John Wayne impersonation, Duffy is mingling with audience members when somebody slips something ominous into his pocket.

Chin further reports that Lewis is licensed to carry and belongs to a gun club. Another fire drill turns up no results, and Steve takes an interest in a sealed cargo hold that's been ruled out because nobody's supposed to have access. An officer named Parkins (Peter Leeds) takes him down there and it's found that the alarm system and door seal have been tampered with, indicating a possible inside man among the officers. With the clock running out again as the ship approaches Frisco, an announcement is made that all luggage will be searched by the police as the passengers are disembarking. Duffy follows his note to the main salon, where he's knocked out by a mysterious figure with a flashlight. While the inspection is in progress, Duffy tells McGarrett about the note he was responding to if he "wanted to stay alive"...and Steve realizes that it's all a diversion. Meanwhile, the mystery figure sneaks into the cargo hold...and is revealed to be Fallon, who's addressed by McGarrett remotely via speaker, informing him he's under arrest. Fallon has to abandon his money bag to squeeze through a sealing bulkhead, and almost makes it off the ship but is apprehended by McGarrett and Williams.

Steve: Frisk him, Danno.​

While Fallon is being driven away, it seems like everything's over when McGarrett has a local detective take Gordon into custody--accusing him of having been Fallon's partner all along, having been tipped off by powder burns on Gordon's jacket when he was supposed to have been fired at while fleeing.

Five-O's phone number is spoken aloud in this episode. A quick search indicates that this number was used several times on the show, both as Five-O's and that of a cab company. And, regretfully, it was note a fictious 555 number, but an actual one in use by an unsuspecting citizen, and apparently still is.

_______

Ironside
"A Death in Academe"
Originally aired February 21, 1974
Frndly said:
A controversial teacher is a target for murder after one of his students commits suicide.

Ed sits in on a nihilistic philosophy lecture by an old college buddy, Prof. Riley MacDane (Michael Parks), following which a student named Laura Coletti (Kathryn Kelly Wiget) comes up to ask him about the validity of the drug experience in light of the failure of faith and reason. He gives her a reasonable answer of mild discouragement. Alone in her dorm room Kelly makes a suicide cassette, puts it in an envelope, and slits her wrist. Ed and Riley are walking by when her body is wheeled out, and a long-haired student named David Rosakis (Doug Jacoby) angrily confronts MacDane.

David: You did it! You're responsible!...Your ideas killed her....Your so-called philosophy slit her wrist, professor!​

Ed calls the Chief, who's coming down with something and being nursed by Fran. Elsewhere, a man named Eddie (Mike Kellin) makes remote contact with an associate named Sam, who hires him to make a "delivery" to MacDane. Ed has dinner with Riley and his wife, Judith (Jennifer Leak), who says something that upsets him more about the situation, motivating him to walk out. When Ed tries to follow, he's nearly run down by a car.

Follow-up questioning at the Cave paints it as an attempt on MacDane, though that wasn't conveyed at all on camera. Eddie watches as the MacDanes are taken to a hotel for safekeeping; while the Chief and Mark pay a visit to Laura's parents (Frank Corsero and Naomi Stevens) to ask questions about their daughter. He learns that Mr. Coletti also blames MacDane, and that Laura requested on her tape that the professor deliver the eulogy at her funeral. Fran searches Laura's room, finds David hiding in the closet, and questions him about his whereabouts at the time of the attempted hit and run. Laura's roommate, Sonia Barrot (Mary Layne), walks in and passionately defends Prof. MacDane, accuses David of already having had it in for MacDane, and Fran of trying to railroad him. Elsewhere, Eddie calls his employer to arrange a bigger commission for the euphemistic "sale," given that the "buyer" has taken on some tough "consultants".

We're next confusingly taken to the home of Reggie and Amelia Barrot (Malachi Throne, who was on TOS before he was on TNG, and Monica Lewis), given no context to clue us in that they're Sonia's parents until blue-collar Reggie confronts her in her room about MacDane, whom he considers a degenerate who's twisting his daughter's mind; and she admits that she's got a thing for her professor. Eddie reads about MacDane's funeral appointment in the paper and updates his client. An autopsy turns up that Laura has a high white blood count and enlarged liver (I think Mark said) bordering on mononucleosis, which could account for suicidal impulses; while Fran goes through MacDane's hate mail, which includes a piece from Mrs. Barrot, attempting to dissuade the college from letting the professor break up her family. The surname rings a vague bell for the Chief.

After a classroom exercise demonstrating the power of money that ends with Prof. MacDane burning a fake dollar bill, David accuses him of being a phoney who lacks a soul and doesn't believe in caring. After Eddie sees that the Chief has had a weapon detector installed at the cemetery gate, he tosses his wrapped-up rifle over the wall for future use; following which he assembles a remote-triggered explosive and conceals it in a basket of flowers that he delivers to the mortuary.

The Chief visits the Barrots, after which he identifies Reggie as former L.A. mobster Sam Barcotti, who was known to use a wiley hitman who was never identified. Police stake out the cemetery, and the basket of flowers is taken there with the funeral procession. While MacDane is speaking, Eddie works nearby as a groundskeeper, digging up buried packages. At the construction site, something unclearly makes Reggie realize that his daughter's going to be at the funeral (Duh!), and he rushes there to try to get her to leave. A device Eddie planted causes a car outside the cemetery to blow up, apparently meant as a diversion, but it only seems to draw Ed's attention to Eddie, who tries to trigger his basket device but it doesn't go off, following which he's apprehended. We learn that TI found the rifle and device with a metal detector, and apparently switched out the rifle with a similarly wrapped package, though this also wasn't clearly conveyed. In the aftermath, the Chief implies that Sonia's thesis may have threatened to expose her father...or maybe just turned her against him...which motivated Barrot to go after MacDane. This also wasn't completely clear.

Overall, this one came off as sloppily executed and not fully baked. It seemed like it wanted to be a more compelling episode than it was.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
"Two Wrongs Don't Make a Writer"
Originally aired February 23, 1974
Wiki said:
Ted joins Mary's night school class in creative writing and plagiarizes Mary's assignment.

At the station, Ted catches Mary working on a piece for her course, but acts uninterested in developing his own writing skills until it comes up that Cronkite writes some of his own copy.

Mary: Murray, you don't suppose that we may have put an idea in Ted's head, do you?
Murray: Don't worry. If we did, it'll die of loneliness.​

As for Mr. Grant...

Lou: Oh...that's lovely. I like everyone in my newsroom to have a hobby.​

Ted subsequently reads his own copy on the air in place of Murray's, to expected reactions in the newsroom. Lou confronts Ted in his dressing room after the show, initially out for blood, but he doesn't go through with it. Ted drops by Mary's later with Georgette to ask about joining Mary's course. She tries to talk him out of it, but he insists, feeling that it's a matter of self-esteem.

The teacher, Mrs. Malone (Shirley O'Hara), turns out to hold television in very low regard; and Ted makes Mary stand up and introduce him to the class. When the lesson begins, he makes a spectacle of himself, of course. He later drops by Mary's desperate for an idea for a writing assignment. Mary tells him and Georgette what her assignment is about--an interesting experience that she had with a date for a high school dance, which she felt at the time was ruined when her date took an injured animal to the vet. Back in class, Ted is picked to read first, and his assignment turns out to be Mary's story told from the viewpoint of her date--which is actually pretty clever and creative, though he botches the point of the story...that Mary's date was the more mature one because he didn't care if Mary blamed him for spoiling her evening.

In the coda, it's Mary's turn to read, and she uses it to tell off Ted in front of the class--which we only see the preamble of, with Mary ordering everyone to stay in their seats when the bell rings.

This episode was directed by Nancy Walker.

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
"Confessions of an Orthodontist"
Originally aired February 23, 1974
Wiki said:
Bob temporarily takes over a practice for another psychologist (Roger Perry), including a ditzy secretary (Teri Garr). One of his first patients is Jerry, who confesses he's in love with Emily.

Fellow shrink Dr. Walburn from the ninth floor (Perry) pretends to be visiting Bob's office socially when he's actually seeing Bob as a patient. When Walburn is called to intervene with a patient who's leading a riot at Leavenworth, Bob agrees to take over his patients the next day. At home, Bob's trying to make a TV dinner because Emily's been helping Jerry with a hospital wing fundraiser. The next day at Walburn's office, Bob becomes acquainted with his secretary, Miss Brennan (Garr), and is surprised when his first appointment turns out to be Jerry. Jerry clams up, trying to run out the clock on his session. When pressed, he indicates that Bob is the one person he can't talk to about his issue. Bob encourages Jerry to pretend that he's Dr. Walburn, and Jerry soon confesses that he's in love with Bob Hartley's wife.

Bob brings his resulting issue home with him, acting funny toward Emily until he brings up the subject of Jerry and it turns out that Emily knows that Jerry's become infatuated with him, and is flattered about it. Emily reassures Bob that she doesn't feel the same way about Jerry, and is disappointed when Bob rolls over and goes to sleep. The next day, Walburn's back to seeing Bob, and explains that he didn't realize it was Jerry's day. Emily's there and Jerry tries to avoid the Hartleys, but is eventually called to Bob's office, which Bob leaves to let Jerry and Emily talk it out. Emily attributes Jerry's feelings to the two of them spending so much time together and emphasizes that she loves Jerry as a friend. Bob awkwardly walks back in while they're hugging. Miss Brennan subsequently comes down to ask Bob about some files that have come up missing, and Jerry promptly takes an interest in her.

In the coda, it comes out that Carol has constructed a soap opera-ish scenario in her head to explain everyone's mysterious behavior over the past few days.

_______

Happy Birthday, Captain Pike.
Cullen Bohannon!

Rolling Stone magazine lists 'September Gurls' at number 178 of the '500 Greatest Singles'.
And this one as #396--the two entries being only reason I've ever heard of Big Star.

What a shame. That must have been absolutely heartbreaking. Was there some issue with marketing or something, or was it just a matter of not meshing with the current trends?
As the punditry goes, only 10,000 people bought their albums, but every one of them formed a band. Which is an argument for "greatest of all time" lists having an age limit on entries...whether or not something proves to have been influential can take time.

Back