The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

That's a lot of search warrants. I think they'd need more to go on.
True, but they could still reconnoiter, knock on a few doors. "Good morning, heard any gunshots lately?"

Now be nice, he turned 83 today! :p
Nick Nolte is 83? Good grief. :rommie:

I was thinking it could be pronounced "Ferrignio".
Or "Ferrigno... whoaaaa...."

They mean to say "Far side of the Moon," because it can't be seen from Earth. But many people had the idea that the far side of the Moon was always dark. I can remember explaining the phases of the Moon to people and still getting reactions like, "But it faces away from Earth." Even DJs used to bring it up sometimes. :rommie:

"Us and Them" also bubbles under.
It was a frequent flyer on BCN nevertheless.

60 Years Ago Tonight

Ed said:
Yesterday and today, our theater's been jammed with newspapermen and hundreds of photographers from all over the nation, and these veterans agree with me that the city never has witnessed the excitement stirred by these youngsters from Liverpool who call themselves the Beatles. Now tonight you're going to be twice entertained by them--right now, and again in the second half of our show. Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles!

They mean to say "Far side of the Moon," because it can't be seen from Earth. But many people had the idea that the far side of the Moon was always dark. I can remember explaining the phases of the Moon to people and still getting reactions like, "But it faces away from Earth." Even DJs used to bring it up sometimes. :rommie:
Far side of the Moon - Wikipedia
Wiki said:
The hemisphere has sometimes been called the "dark side of the Moon", where "dark" means "unknown" instead of "lacking sunlight"

RJDiogenes said:
It was a frequent flyer on BCN nevertheless.
There are maybe two tracks on DSOTM that weren't classic rock radio staples.

Just found out that Wayne Kramer, lead guitarist of the Detroit band MC5 passed away on February 2nd. Here they are on Beat Club performing 'Kick Out The Jams.'

Hi, guys. Come to Boston for tea.
Hello.gif

Hmm. According to the first citation, the misconception that led "generations of students to make the cognitive error of thinking that the farside of the Moon was "dark" in the sense of the Sun never shining on it" dates back to the Luna 3 mission in 1959, which I suppose is probably true. Still irritating, though. People should be able to get it once you explain it to them. :rommie:

There are maybe two tracks on DSOTM that weren't classic rock radio staples.
True. :rommie:

Just found out that Wayne Kramer, lead guitarist of the Detroit band MC5 passed away on February 2nd.
RIP, Wayne Kramer. It's crazy to think that MC5 was around since I was two.

Also recently departed, Mojo Nixon at only 66...
RIP, Mojo Nixon. Kind of Weird Al on LSD-laced moonshine.

Preach it, Mojo. :mallory:

50 Years Ago This Week

February 10
  • The Soviet Mars 4 space probe, launched in July 1973, flew past Mars at a distance of about 1,300 miles (2,100 km) and took pictures but failed to enter orbit due to a malfunction.
  • All 260,000 coal miners in the United Kingdom went on strike as a result of a wage dispute with the National Union of Mineworkers.

February 11
  • The first Titan IIIE rocket launched from Cape Canaveral was destroyed by the range safety officer 748 seconds after liftoff due to engine failure. The pieces of the $20,500,000 rocket fell into the Atlantic Ocean 2,200 miles (3,500 km) down range after the destruct order was carried out. Destroyed along with the rocket was its payload, the SPHINX (Space Plasma High Voltage Interaction Experiment) satellite and the supporting Viking Dynamic Simulator.
  • The Islamic Republic of Libya announced that its government would nationalize Amoseas Petroleum Ltd., jointly operated by Texaco and Standard Oil of California, and the Libyan-American Oil Company, already 60 percent owned by the Libyan government.
  • The three-day Washington Energy Conference of oil-consuming nations began to discuss ways of combating the oil crisis.

February 12
  • The Soviet Mars 5 space probe successfully entered orbit around Mars at 14:44 UTC, but sustained a micrometeoroid impact along the way, causing a slow leak in the spacecraft's pressurized instrument compartment. Mars 5 would cease transmission 16 days later, after returning 43 good quality photographs and making spectrometer observattions of elements on the Martian surface, and obtaining specific surface temperatures ranging from 28 °F (−2 °C) during the day to −99 °F (−73 °C) at night.

February 13
  • After a hearing, a Soviet court revoked the citizenship of dissident writer Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, ordered him to be removed permanently from the USSR, and placed him on an Aeroflot flight to West Germany. Solzhenitsyn, wearing only the clothes he had put on when he was arrested, arrived in Frankfurt, where friends picked him up and drove him to the home of Heinrich Böll in Langenbroich. A representative of the KGB announced that Solzhenitsyn's wife and children would be allowed to join him "when they deem it necessary." The day after Solzhenitsyn's expulsion, an order from the Soviet Ministry of Culture directed any public or school library with his novel One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich to remove the book from its shelves, along with any item containing one of his four published short stories.

February 15
  • The North Korean Navy sank a South Korean fishing boat that had strayed too close to the Five West Sea Islands, killing 13 of the 14 people on board. The sole survivor was captured by the North Koreans after a rescue. Later in the day, the crew of 14 of another fishing boat was captured.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:
1. "The Way We Were," Barbra Streisand
2. "Love's Theme," Love Unlimited Orchestra
3. "You're Sixteen," Ringo Starr
4. "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)," Aretha Franklin
5. "Spiders & Snakes," Jim Stafford
6. "Americans," Byron MacGregor
7. "Let Me Be There," Olivia Newton-John
8. "Jungle Boogie," Kool & The Gang
9. "Boogie Down," Eddie Kendricks
10. "Rock On," David Essex
11. "Show and Tell," Al Wilson
12. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks
13. "Put Your Hands Together," The O'Jays
14. "I've Got to Use My Imagination," Gladys Knight & The Pips
15. "I Love," Tom T. Hall
16. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)," The Rolling Stones
17. "Last Time I Saw Him," Diana Ross
18. "The Joker," Steve Miller Band
19. "Love Song," Anne Murray
20. "Midnight Rider," Gregg Allman
21. "Dark Lady," Cher
22. "Smokin' in the Boys Room," Brownsville Station
23. "Living for the City," Stevie Wonder
24. "Sexy Mama," The Moments

26. "Time in a Bottle," Jim Croce
27. "Baby Come Close," Smokey Robinson
28. "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up," Barry White
29. "The Most Beautiful Girl," Charlie Rich
30. "Mockingbird," Carly Simon & James Taylor

34. "Eres Tú (Touch the Wind)," Mocedades
35. "Come and Get Your Love," Redbone
36. "My Sweet Lady," Cliff DeYoung
37. "Trying to Hold On to My Woman," Lamont Dozier
38. "I Like to Live the Love," B.B. King
39. "Sunshine on My Shoulders," John Denver

42. "Joy, Pt. 1," Isaac Hayes
43. "Livin' for You," Al Green
44. "There Won't Be Anymore," Charlie Rich

46. "Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)," Helen Reddy
47. "Jet," Paul McCartney & Wings

49. "Mighty Love, Pt. 1," The Spinners
50. "You Sure Love to Ball," Marvin Gaye

53. "Me and Baby Brother," War

55. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," Elton John

57. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo," Rick Derringer
58. "Helen Wheels," Paul McCartney & Wings
59. "Rockin' Roll Baby," The Stylistics

62. "Let Your Hair Down," The Temptations
63. "Hello It's Me," Todd Rundgren
64. "Top of the World," Carpenters
65. "Jessica," The Allman Brothers Band

69. "Bennie and the Jets," Elton John
70. "Lookin' for a Love," Bobby Womack
71. "When I Fall in Love" / "Are You Lonesome Tonight", Donny Osmond

73. "Jolene," Dolly Parton

77. "Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me," Gladys Knight & The Pips

84. "Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," The Main Ingredient

86. "She's Gone," Daryl Hall & John Oates
87. "Hooked on a Feeling," Blue Swede

100. "The Real Me," The Who

Leaving the chart:
  • "If You're Ready (Come Go with Me)," The Staple Singers (16 weeks)
  • "Raised on Robbery," Joni Mitchell (8 weeks)
  • "Sister Mary Elephant (Shudd-Up!)," Cheech & Chong (12 weeks)
  • "Walk Like a Man," Grand Funk (12 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me," Gladys Knight & The Pips
(#3 US; #10 AC; #1 R&B; #7 UK)

"Hooked on a Feeling," Blue Swede
(#1 US the week of Apr. 6, 1974; #31 AC)

"Bennie and the Jets," Elton John
(#1 US the week of Apr. 13, 1974; #15 R&B)

And new on the boob tube:
  • Adam-12, "Routine Patrol: The Drug Store Cowboys"
  • Hawaii Five-O, "Mother's Deadly Helper"
  • Kung Fu, "Night of the Owls, Day of the Doves"
  • Ironside, "A Taste of Ashes"
  • The Brady Bunch, "Top Secret"
  • All in the Family, "Archie Eats and Runs"
  • M*A*S*H, "George"
  • Emergency!, "Propinquity"
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Lou's Second Date"
  • The Bob Newhart Show, "By the Way...You're Fired"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month.

_______

Hmm. According to the first citation, the misconception that led "generations of students to make the cognitive error of thinking that the farside of the Moon was "dark" in the sense of the Sun never shining on it" dates back to the Luna 3 mission in 1959, which I suppose is probably true. Still irritating, though. People should be able to get it once you explain it to them. :rommie:
It's always dark from our perspective--I don't see a big issue with it.

Last edited:
The Soviet Mars 4 space probe, launched in July 1973, flew past Mars at a distance of about 1,300 miles (2,100 km) and took pictures but failed to enter orbit due to a malfunction.
That has a familiar ring to it.

The first Titan IIIE rocket launched from Cape Canaveral was destroyed by the range safety officer 748 seconds after liftoff due to engine failure.
Also a familiar story in those days, to be fair.

The Soviet Mars 5 space probe successfully entered orbit around Mars
There we go!
Goofy-Clap.gif

Oldies Radio Classic.

Also an Oldies Radio Classic.

Elton at his peak (although not one of my personal favorites).

It's always dark from our perspective--I don't see a big issue with it.
Scientific illiteracy is kind of a pet peeve. :rommie:

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 1)

_______

Adam-12
"Krash"
Originally aired February 5, 1974
MeTV said:
Malloy's brand new car gets dinged up when he has to bail out to chase down a purse snatcher, but Sgt. MacDonald promises him his kid brother in Beverly Hills can fix it on the cheap. Out on patrol, he and Reed search for a drunk man accused of randomly shooting arrows, respond to a robbery at a deli that results in tragedy and search for a drug store robbery suspect who gets away after being shot.

Off duty, Pete brings his new gold 1974 AMC Matador coupe--which gets 15 miles to the gallon!--by Jim's and lets Reed take it for a spin. They're stuck in a traffic jam when they witness a hood (John Morgan Evans) snatching an elderly woman's (Alma Platt) purse. Out of uniform but armed, the officers pursue the suspect on foot, corner him attempting to hide in a dumpster, and arrest him for Officer Snyder to pick up. After Reed moves the car, Pete notices the right front fender has been damaged, though Reed insists that he didn't hit anything. Being police officers, they try unsuccessfully to find a witness. When the on-duty officers tell Mac about the incident after roll call, he recommends them to the shop of his kid brother Brian. Given the location, the officers are wary that the work will cost too much--Reed having offered to pick up half the tab.

On patrol, the officers are called to the motel room residence of an eccentric-looking woman (Jodean Russo) whose boyfriend--an aspiring fighter who goes by the handle Geronimo (Ron Henriquez)--drunkenly fired an arrow into her door. They follow a trail of other arrows to where Geronimo is doing a mock war dance near a newsstand when the proprietor restrains him. The officers take in the faux Indian, whose actual name is Vitali.

The officers are investigating an armed robbery at a deli when the proprietor, John Evans (Russell Thorson), collapses in a cardiac episode. The officers perform CPR until an ambulance arrives. (Yet again, paramedics only seem to exist on Adam-12 when there's a crossover.) Evans doesn't make it, but his wife, Emma (Sarah Selby), thanks the officers outside the hospital for trying to save him.

The officers later investigate an after-hours break-in at a drug store, where the suspect jumps out the storefront window. Shots are exchanged as the suspect makes his way to the back of a getaway pickup truck, but the officer discover afterward that he was wounded. Motorcycle officer Grant turns up a witness, Jesse Rodriguez (Pepe Hern), who followed the truck to the house where it stopped. The officers proceed to the address, with Grant backing them up, and Reed sees through a window the suspect lying in bed with a gun. Malloy kicks in the front door, diverting the suspect's attention so that Reed can get the drop on him.

In the coda, the officers are incredulous when Mac brings them a repair estimate of $125...but the sergeant says that he got Brian to agree to do the labor for free, so it'll only cost them $20 for the paint and other materials.

_______

Hawaii Five-O
"Nightmare in Blue"
Originally aired February 5, 1974
Wiki said:
An investigation of five rape-murders points to the police. The episode is notable for one of the earliest expositions of rape victim blaming on American television. This episode was broadcast two weeks before the groundbreaking and much-better-known TV movie A Case of Rape about rape victim blaming.

NOTE: Don B. Ray received an Emmy nomination for his score.

An attractive young woman (Sue Ann Freeman) blows a tire, following which a police officer (John Beck) offers her a ride to a service station. We next see the officer's car pulling up to a scenic overlook and dumping her body out the passenger door and down the hillside. Doc Bergman confirms that she's the fourth victim in a series of sexual assaults and strangulations. After her car is found--with another car's tire tracks alongside it--she's identified as stewardess Joy Mueller. Danno and Ben go to question her roommate and coworker, Sherry Wells (Melody Patterson), informing her that Joy's dead. When Sherry's informed that there were no signs of a struggle where Joy left her car, she's emphatic that Joy wouldn't have gotten in a car with somebody she didn't know or trust.

Meanwhile, the "officer" cruises a neighborhood looking for his next victim, taking an interest in Andrea Burdick (Katherine Justice) as she's seeing her husband, Joe (Alan Fudge), off to work. After removing the beacon from the top of his parked car, he rings her bell on the premise that he wants to ask her about a series of burglaries in the neighborhood...and she lets him inside. After asking her some questions, he starts to force himself on her, she tries to get away, and he gets rough while encouraging her to fight back. Later, a neighbor named Tina (Susan Driscoll) drops by and finds Andrea. Joe comes home to police cars, a crowd of onlookers, and his wife being loaded into an ambulance--still alive but in shock.

Having determined a pattern, McGarrett has undercover policewomen assigned as bait. The rapist is scoping out one of them, Laura (Elissa Dulce), as she pretends to be having car trouble but sends away an older couple who pull up to try to help her...then reports to Duke on stakeout nearby via her Dick Tracy communicator watch. The "officer" pulls up anyway, and thinking he's the real McCoy, Laura tells him to split because he's blowing the stakeout. He does so promptly, leaving another set of tracks behind. When it's determined that he's not the officer who's supposed to be covering that beat, McGarrett realizes why the victims were getting into his car and letting him into their homes.

Joe visits his now-conscious wife just ahead of McGarrett heading to the hospital to question her. When Andrea hysterically tells Joe that it was a police officer, he insists that she not tell Five-O, as they'll protect their own kind. When McGarrett arrives, Joe tries to prevent him from going in, accusing McGarrett of looking to blame her for what happened...causing Steve to speculate that he may be projecting. Burdick eventually lets McGarrett in, but he's in the room with them and his cues motivate a conflicted Andrea to refuse to talk. After McGarrett leaves, something Joe lets slip out about the couple moving someplace where she won't have to be ashamed indicates that Steve was on the right track.

As Che's determining that the tracks match...and Steve is enlisting the help of Capt. Ed Harada (Edward Fernandez) to narrow down potential suspects among police force washouts and active-duty officers...the rapist takes an interest in a new neighbor at his own apartment building, Donna Wilson (Danielle). After Laura is unable to identify the man who approached her in a book of potential police suspects, McGarrett has Dr. Ikuda (Winston Char) give the book to Andrea Burdick, who won't see him. When she's alone, Andrea eventually summons up the courage to look at the book and traumatically recognizes her assailant, though in the pictures he's not wearing the distinctive shades that he has been, and is sporting a mustache. Andrea tells her husband first, and while he wants the two of them to forget what happened, she asserts that she doesn't need to feel ashamed and insists on talking to McGarrett. Joe relents and calls Five-O.

Meanwhile, a search for recent buyers of a pair of the type of tires that made the tracks turns up the name of Walter Stark, who's one of the police washout suspects. Steve and Danno head to his apartment while he's next door starting to force himself on Donna in the same manner that he did with Mrs. Burdick. When Steve and Danno pound on his door, Donna screams and they bust down hers. Shots are exchanged and Stark takes a bullet-fueled dive off Donna's balcony. Immediately afterward, Steve is informed that Mrs. Burdick wants to talk to him.

_______

Ironside
"Class of '40"
Originally aired February 7, 1974
Wiki said:
Ironside gets nostalgic when he returns to his home town to investigate the death of an old friend.

This would make the Chief about five years younger than Burr, at least for the purposes of this episode. After ignoring a formal invitation to his class reunion in Summerfield, Ironside is looking forward to seeing "very close friend" Alice Schmidt (Fay Spain), who wrote him a personal letter; and he invites Fran to accompany him when he learns that she doesn't have plans for the weekend. Of course, it's an easy drive from 'Frisco, though the Chief rarely finds the time to go back. Upon arriving, Bob is greeted by reunion committee secretary Maggie Moreland (Alice Backes, about six years younger than Burr, and thus more or less the age she should be). Fran pieces together that the Chief became interested in attending because Alice wrote in the letter that she wasn't convinced her husband John's death was an accident. The Chief visits Alice to find her drinking hard and talking critically of John. When questioned, she denies having written the letter.

At the event in the decorated high school gym, Bob says hi to old football pal Richard Gillis (William Bryant--also around the right age, would have been turning sixteen in 1940), who seems preoccupied; and Sam McCullough (Jackie Coogan, who's a few years older than Burr), who's handing out boater hats. County sheriff Tom Ames (Marshall Thompson, a year younger than Bryant) acts resentfully envious of Ironside's big-city success. Finally, Bob is approached by Richard's wife Karen, said to have been the prettiest girl in their class--top-billed guest Anne Francis, who was actually thirteen years younger than Raymond Burr! The plot thickens when the audience is the first to see Richard dead in the exercise room. (Didn't Anne dunnit last time she was on the show?)

Before this is discovered, Fran is invited to dance by the principal, Preston Lakes, who was formerly Ironside's football coach (Leif Erickson. who was only six years older than Burr). A final old friend / obvious suspect is introduced, racehorse owner Howard Stalley (Jason Evers, who's five years younger than Burr and thus actually the right age for the titular group). When people are starting to wonder where Richard disappeared to, a swacked Alice makes a comment in Karen's direction about how she used to date Richard in the day. When Bob goes to ask Tom about Richard's disappearance, he's informed that Gillis has just been found dead--which Ames insists had to have been an accident, getting defensive and asserting his jurisdiction when Ironside wants to investigate further. Fran calls in Ed, interrupting his evening with a ladyfriend of whom we only see a hosed foot massaging his temple. Karen acts shocked upon learning of her husband's death, but admits that she can't summon up any emotion over Richard's death, given their marital issues.

With some prodding, Ames accompanies Ed to consult the county coroner, Doc Saple (Peter Brocco, not being passed off as one of the classmates), who indicates that Gillis's neck was broken like Schmidt's, and that he hadn't been drinking, though somebody smashed a glass of alcohol near his body. The Chief and Ed subsequently show up for a shifty locker room rendezvous invitation supposedly from Ames, at which somebody tries to frighten the Chief with a barrel swung at his head via rope. When questioned, Karen admits that she's having an affair with Howard, who was the last person seen with Richard. In the morning, Lakes reports that somebody took a shot at him in the locker room. A bit of reminiscing at the location causes the Chief to recall to Ed how, after winning a championship game, he and the two victims were in a car accident with fellow player Toby Gray, who was driving Ironside's car after they'd all been celebratorily drinking and died of a broken neck.

Howard, who wasn't on the team, is taken in for questioning, and Karen provides an alibi for the time of the shooting. Fran goes to talk to Alice, who accuses Karen of having taken Dick away from her, and is informed of Richard's death. She tells Fran that an anonymous party subsidized Toby living with John's family after his parents were killed. A ballistics report turns up that the gun was fired at close range, casting suspicion on Lakes's story. Bob enlists Maggie, the town busybody, to look into who Toby's benefactor was, and she reports back to him. Ironside bows out of a class farewell dinner and instead goes back to the gym to confront Lakes--having deduced with a little confirming investigation by Ed that his former coach held the other kids in the car with Toby responsible for blowing his opportunity to become head coach of State College, which hinged on bringing Gray with him. Lakes puts Bob in a headlock, attempting to strangle him as he had the others, but Ames, Ed, Fran, and a couple of uniformed deputies rush in to intervene. The episode ends with Tom briefly but sincerely thanking Bob.

_______

There we go!
Goofy-Clap.gif
Custom job?

Oldies Radio Classic.
A lower-key hit for Gladys & the Pips, but interestingly, by the points system of the site where I look up my chart info, considered their biggest hit--apparently beating chart-topper "Midnight Train to Georgia" and a couple of #2s by having charted substantially better in the UK.

Also an Oldies Radio Classic.
I've now gotten this, though I much prefer the B. J. Thomas version. The chanting does nothing for the song, and I recall being confused when my local oldies station switched from playing the earlier version to this one.

Yep.

"Bennie and the Jets," Elton John (#1 US the week of Apr. 13, 1974; #15 R&B)

I read in the liner notes to his box set 'To Be Continued. . .' that when recording the take that would ultimately end up being used as the final master, Elton came in a bar too early, hence that akward opening chord. Because of this, when the decision was made to make the song a "live" recording with audience noise and handclaps, producer Gus Dudgeon couldn't get the song and handclaps to sync up, so the clapping is behind the beat.

I'm not getting the significance of the misspelling.

Pete brings his new gold 1974 AMC Matador coupe--which gets 15 miles to the gallon!
I assume that's good. :rommie:

by Jim's and lets Reed take it for a spin.
He won't let him drive the patrol car, but he lets him drive his new baby? :rommie:

After Reed moves the car, Pete notices the right front fender has been damaged, though Reed insists that he didn't hit anything.
Did they just leave it parked in traffic?

(Yet again, paramedics only seem to exist on Adam-12 when there's a crossover.)
Maybe they were still rare in those days?

Evans doesn't make it, but his wife, Emma (Sarah Selby), thanks the officers outside the hospital for trying to save him.
That must make it second-degree murder or manslaughter or something for the perp. If they ever caught him. Which we'll never know.

Motorcycle officer Grant turns up a witness, Jesse Rodriguez (Pepe Hern), who followed the truck to the house where it stopped.
There's a good citizen.

Malloy kicks in the front door, diverting the suspect's attention so that Reed can get the drop on him.
This actually could be the same guy from the deli.

the officers are incredulous when Mac brings them a repair estimate of $125...
Good heavens! :rommie:

Sherry Wells (Melody Patterson)
Wrangler Jane.

she's emphatic that Joy wouldn't have gotten in a car with somebody she didn't know or trust.
And yet they don't seem to investigate any of her friends or acquaintances.

After removing the beacon from the top of his parked car
Is he driving a fake patrol car, or does he just pop it on and off like Starsky does?

Joe comes home to police cars, a crowd of onlookers, and his wife being loaded into an ambulance--still alive but in shock.
This is an odd deviation from his regular MO, unless they're saying he was interrupted or something.

then reports to Duke on stakeout nearby via her Dick Tracy communicator watch.
Groovy. Did they actually have those back then? That's an awful lot of miniaturization.

After Laura is unable to identify the man who approached her in a book of potential police suspects
Hmm. She's still a trained police officer, so they should have a strong description of him nonetheless, along with the car if it was a civilian vehicle. They also know the dates and times of the other assaults, so they should be able to rule out most active cops pretty quickly.

Shots are exchanged and Stark takes a bullet-fueled dive off Donna's balcony.
Balconies are like magnets for these guys.

Immediately afterward, Steve is informed that Mrs. Burdick wants to talk to him.
No cynical quip from Steve? Unfortunately, the drama here is a bit compromised by the woman surviving the assault for no apparent reason. They should have had the killer interrupted or something.

This would make the Chief about five years younger than Burr
Maybe he got kept back a few times. :rommie:

Ironside is looking forward to seeing "very close friend" Alice Schmidt
Who just flew in from Canada for the reunion.

and he invites Fran to accompany him when he learns that she doesn't have plans for the weekend.
"Be sure to hang on my arm a little bit when Alice is around."

Fran pieces together that the Chief became interested in attending because Alice wrote in the letter that she wasn't convinced her husband John's death was an accident.
He just can't resist a murder! :rommie:

Sam McCullough (Jackie Coogan, who's a few years older than Burr)
Possibly centuries older, since he's Uncle Fester.

acts resentfully envious of Ironside's big-city success.
"I hear y'all vote for democrats round those parts."

Karen, said to have been the prettiest girl in their class--top-billed guest Anne Francis
So, yes, she was the prettiest girl in their class. :rommie:

Fran calls in Ed, interrupting his evening with a ladyfriend of whom we only see a hosed foot massaging his temple.
You go, Ed. :rommie:

who indicates that Gillis's neck was broken like Schmidt's, and that he hadn't been drinking
This would seem to narrow down the suspects.

A bit of reminiscing at the location causes the Chief to recall to Ed how, after winning a championship game, he and the two victims were in a car accident with fellow player Toby Gray, who was driving Ironside's car after they'd all been celebratorily drinking and died of a broken neck.
So he was the designated driver, or just somewhat less inebriated than the Chief?

his former coach held the other kids in the car with Toby responsible for blowing his opportunity to become head coach of State College, which hinged on bringing Gray with him.
That's actually a pretty nice, obscure motivation. This seems like it was a pretty good mystery, although I just have to wonder why Lakes waited 34 years to get his vengeance.

Lakes puts Bob in a headlock, attempting to strangle him as he had the others
Yikes. A rare moment of violence inflicted on the Chief.

Custom job?
Yeah, basically an existing clapping Smiley with the background swapped out. :rommie:

A lower-key hit for Gladys & the Pips, but interestingly, by the points system of the site where I look up my chart info, considered their biggest hit--apparently beating chart-topper "Midnight Train to Georgia" and a couple of #2s by having charted substantially better in the UK.
That's interesting. I never would have guessed that.

I've now gotten this, though I much prefer the B. J. Thomas version. The chanting does nothing for the song, and I recall being confused when my local oldies station switched from playing the earlier version to this one.
For me, the chanting really emphasizes the nostalgic feel.

I read in the liner notes to his box set 'To Be Continued. . .' that when recording the take that would ultimately end up being used as the final master, Elton came in a bar too early, hence that akward opening chord. Because of this, when the decision was made to make the song a "live" recording with audience noise and handclaps, producer Gus Dudgeon couldn't get the song and handclaps to sync up, so the clapping is behind the beat.
Now I know why that all sounds so offbeat (literally). My non-musical mind never could have figured it out. :rommie:

I'm not getting the significance of the misspelling.
Nor I.

I assume that's good. :rommie:
That seemed to be the context.

Did they just leave it parked in traffic?
Pulled it off to the side, but beside a median, I believe.

Maybe they were still rare in those days?
Same town, they're getting called to all this stuff and more on the other show.

That must make it second-degree murder or manslaughter or something for the perp. If they ever caught him. Which we'll never know.
I think that would be a stretch. He wasn't even present when it actually happened. Maybe endangerment or something like that.

Is he driving a fake patrol car, or does he just pop it on and off like Starsky does?
I'm sure it's fake, but he was popping it off.

This is an odd deviation from his regular MO, unless they're saying he was interrupted or something.
It wasn't clear why she survived.

Groovy. Did they actually have those back then? That's an awful lot of miniaturization.
Seems about as authentic as the Five-O Special...
H573.jpg

She's still a trained police officer, so they should have a strong description of him nonetheless, along with the car if it was a civilian vehicle.
She was surprisingly unhelpful in that department.

No cynical quip from Steve?
"Yeah? Well call her back and tell her there's nothing more to talk about."

So he was the designated driver, or just somewhat less inebriated than the Chief?
They were all young and loaded, he was the guy who drove.

That's actually a pretty nice, obscure motivation. This seems like it was a pretty good mystery, although I just have to wonder why Lakes waited 34 years to get his vengeance.
It seemed a bit too padded out to me. It took too long even getting to the mystery.

Last edited:
Same town, they're getting called to all this stuff and more on the other show.
Budget, maybe? I dunno.

I think that would be a stretch. He wasn't even present when it actually happened. Maybe endangerment or something like that.
Seems like they could link cause and effect if they wanted to, depending on how bad they wanted to keep him off the street.

Seems about as authentic as the Five-O Special...
View attachment 38585
Nice. Kinda Five-O Steampunk. :mallory:

"Yeah? Well call her back and tell her there's nothing more to talk about."
Okay, that's pretty harsh, all right.

It seemed a bit too padded out to me. It took too long even getting to the mystery.
It did seem to have a bit of a lackadaisical pace.

50 Years Ago This Week
New on the chart:

(#3 US; #10 AC; #1 R&B; #7 UK)

(#1 US the week of Apr. 6, 1974; #31 AC)

(#1 US the week of Apr. 13, 1974; #15 R&B)

Classic songs across the board, in a year almost overloaded with great music.

In comic book anniversaries, 50 years ago, the Punisher was introduced in The Amazing Spider-Man #129, from February of 1974:

NncrDB6.jpg

The character--created by John Romita Sr, Gerry Conway and Ross Andru--was one in a line of early 70s vigilante characters springing up in an era--particularly in the United States--which was seemingly overrun by crime and the perception that law enforcement was ineffectual to deal with, or in some cases were part of the problem. Characters of this kind tapped into a very real anger felt by the population, and yes, served as a form of wish-fulfillment to some.

Although Frank Castle would not receive his full, tragic origin until a year later in the 2nd issue of the magazine Marvel Preview, he made one of the most memorable, lasting debuts in comic book history as the would-be executioner of Spider-Man. At the time, Castle had been hired by The Jackal (ESU's professor Miles Warren) to kill Spider-Man, though the latter had no idea Warren sought revenge against Spider-Man for the mistaken belief that the hero had murdered Gwen Stacy (this Jackal sub-plot would unfold after this issue). In the years to come, The Punisher would become an occasional ally of Spider-Man, but 1975's Marvel Preview #2 set the course for / added a new dimension of brutal "street" character uncommon to the standard superhero comic universe, ultimately making him one of the most popular characters in Marvel's history.

Nice. Kinda Five-O Steampunk. :mallory:
I'm not even sure how the side panel with the speaker is supposed to work. It looks like they're trying to pass it off as a cover that opens, but it clearly wouldn't fit.

Okay, that's pretty harsh, all right.
Especially if you take the instruction literally, given what Andrea was dealing with. And this was after McGarrett had argued to her husband that he had empathy for rape victims from his experience working with them. And anyway, you'd think that she'd still be useful as a witness, what with a shooting involved and all.

In comic book anniversaries, 50 years ago, the Punisher was introduced in The Amazing Spider-Man #129, from February of 1974:
Oh, I hate the Punisher so much. :rommie: Not as a villain, but the fact that they made him into a hero.

Although Frank Castle would not receive his full, tragic origin until a year later in the 2nd issue of the magazine Marvel Preview, he made one of the most memorable, lasting debuts in comic book history as the would-be executioner of Spider-Man.
Good choice of word, because he was actually a rip off of The Executioner, who was a character in a series of violent vigilante novels at the time. There were a bunch of similar characters, like The Destroyer and The Butcher and some others that I can't remember, plus other similar characters without superhero-type names. The news agency store where I bought my comics also had a couple of paperback book racks and there were a million of these things. Pretty repulsive, to my mind.

I'm not even sure how the side panel with the speaker is supposed to work. It looks like they're trying to pass it off as a cover that opens, but it clearly wouldn't fit.
It must plug into the USB port of the watch. :D It's pretty ridiculous, but it looks cool. It wouldn't have any range at all, unless it communicates with a booster in her car.

Especially if you take the instruction literally, given what Andrea was dealing with. And this was after McGarrett had argued to her husband that he had empathy for rape victims from his experience working with them. And anyway, you'd think that she'd still be useful as a witness, what with a shooting involved and all.
Yeah, he really should have understood her reluctance to speak, especially believing the guy was a cop.

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 2)

_______

Good Times
"Too Old Blues"
Originally aired February 8, 1974
Series premiere
Wiki said:
James (John Amos) is excited because he is sure that he is going to get a high paying job. However, at the interview, he learns that he is too old to join the company's union. Meanwhile, Florida (Esther Rolle) and the children (BernNadette Stanis, Jimmie Walker, and Ralph Carter) get ahead of themselves and throw a celebration party for James unaware that he was rejected.

Note: This episode was taped after the pilot to add additional characters and to provide background for those in the pilot episode.

The pilot would be aired as the third episode of the season. I never realized that Gordy was the dad from Good Times--was Amos wearing a piece on MTM? Or did he sport a balding look to appear older for the part? It turns out that Amos (34 at the time) was substantially closer to Walker's age (26) than Rolle's (53).

We meet the Evans family over breakfast, where the energy crisis is referenced and 17-year-old James Jr., better known as J.J. (Walker), learns that his conception was the catalyst for his parents' marriage. James is anticipating a letter with the results of an aptitude test that he took to join a union apprenticeship program, via which he hopes to get a steady job paying $4.25 per hour. He gets the letter, and it bears good news, with the program starting that day--He's happy, but isn't that kinda short notice to convey via snail mail? The kids--also including 16-year-old Thelma (credited as Bern Nadette) and 11-year-old Michael (Carter)--fantasize about what they'll do with the extra money. (Florida notes that the family got through the meat shortage without knowing there was one.) Divorcee neighbor Willona Woods (Ja'net Du Bois) drops in as the kids are getting ready for school.

Willona: Don't they teach you about Malcolm X in school?
Michael: Are you kidding? The teachers in my school still call Muhammad Ali "Cassius Clay".​

James references the Temptations and Diana Ross & the Supremes when planning a celebratory party for that night.

But when the interviewer (Woodrow Parfrey) learns that James is 41, he explains that the program is restricted by government rules to men between 18 and 35.

James: Too old? For what, man? We're talking about working, we ain't talking about playing stickball!​

Meanwhile, the unaware family are preparing the party, with Florida shooting the works food-wise. In addition to Willona, a number of other guests arrive--the only credited one being Monty (Stymie Beard). When James walks in, everyone breaks out singing, concerned about the cost of the party and expenditures that the kids have already been making, but not getting a chance to break the bad news until he speaks for a toast. The episode ends with Florida consoling James in the bedroom and James trying to brush the matter off.

I suspected that we wouldn't get the famous catchphrase right out of the box...but apparently we kinda did, as looking it up, it was first heard on the air in the third-aired pilot.

_______

The Odd Couple
"Shuffling Off to Buffalo"
Originally aired February 8, 1974
Wiki said:
Felix accepts his brother's offer of an executive position at the Unger bubble gum factory in Buffalo.

Felix gets a telegram that his brother Floyd will be coming to visit for a few days. Oscar looks less than enthusiastic at a declaration that Floyd is exactly like Felix. Oscar further learns that Floyd is the president of a company that makes bubble gum. When Floyd arrives (William Redfield), he assumes that Oscar is a poor person whom Felix took in as an act of charity. Floyd tries to convince Felix to leave the big city and come back to the titular home town...and for the purposes of the episode, Felix is suddenly disillusioned with his career as a photographer. After a hard day's shoot followed by having his shoes stolen on the subway, Felix is ready to take Floyd up on his offer, and Oscar encourages him to see it through--pleading with God afterward to let him have this.

When it's time to go, Felix is reluctant to depart.

Felix: Four years ago, a man came to this door who had nowhere to turn. You took him in. Remember that day?
Oscar: Like I remember Pearl Harbor.​

The titular phrase comes up as Felix tries to pick up his own spirits by tapdancing out into the corridor.

We next see Felix in his spacious, gum-machine-equipped office, chomping on the company product while dictating a letter for Oscar to his secretary (Beatrice Colen). Back in New York, Murray finds that the apartment has reverted to being a disaster area, and Oscar just happens to be leaving for Buffalo to cover a basketball game.

Oscar finds that Felix really seems to be enjoying his new life, though Floyd asks Oscar to intervene as he's not pleased with Felix's innovations in his R&D position--which include opera cards for kids who don't like sports and broccoli-flavored gum. Oscar accepts an invitation to dinner at the Unger home, where he meets the members of their lodge, the Zebras, as well as Floyd's bubble-blowing wife, Mildred (Alice James). When Oscar sits Felix down for the talk, Felix beats him to the punch by confiding that Buffalo and the gum business are driving him crazy. Oscar promptly announces the news to Floyd, who gives Felix his blessing.

Oscar tries to pass the state of the apartment off to a temporary roommate...and the lights go out because Felix was the one who paid the bill.

_______

Emergency!
"Floor Brigade"
Originally aired February 9, 1974
IMDb said:
John and Roy think about going into the floor cleaning business on the side. A hermit is trapped in his cave home. Dr. Morton treats a famous singer. John is injured on a high rescue, and the station battles a chemical warehouse fire.

This time the quirky scheme is Roy's thing--he tries to get Johnny to go into part-time business with him after he picks up a notice about buying floor-cleaning equipment at the market...making him seem uncharacteristically eager and naive. The station is called to aid a hermit whose cave in the hills has partly collapsed. The grocery store box boy who called it in (Christopher Man) leads them to the entrance, where the paramedics have to deal with the hermit's dog, who's tied up outside. After containing him in a fire coat and retying him further away, they dig open the entrance and Johnny crawls inside to find the occupant (Pat Buttram) lying under some rubble. After pulling him out, they determine that he may have a fractured leg and he's taken to Rampart, where Brackett also has him X-rayed for skull injury. During brief moments of consciousness, the hermit's main concern is whether it's going to cost him anything.

At the hospital, the paramedics happen to see a floor cleaner named Anderson at work (uncredited Ray Ballard) and, impressed with his machine, determine that it's the same model as the one in the ad and get his number. Johnny becomes sold on the venture and starts taking lead, calling the shots for Roy. A disoriented woman stumbles into Rampart's waiting room and is recognized by Dr. Morton as singer Cealy Kenya (uncredited Vivian Bonnell). She acts defensive, insists that she isn't drunk, and at one point tries to bust loose. As Morton examines her, she's concerned about making her current gig at a dive where she's performing while trying to make a comeback. Morton convinces her that she has to let him help her first. He determines that she's a diabetic on medication and insists that she can't even afford the moderate drinking that she engaged in prior to her attack. Elsewhere, Brackett and Dix visit the recovering hermit, attempting to get him to divulge details about himself, though he acts evasive.

After calling Anderson, who says that it sounds like a good deal, the paramedics try to call DeGeorgio before the station is called to a man trapped on a transmission tower. Johnny slips on a rung while climbing the ladder inside the tower's framework, injuring a rib, so Roy goes up to help him to a landing and takes over the rescue while Johnny climbs down attached to a harness with Chet acting as his line's pulley. The firefighters on the ground are startled when a figure falls from the top of the tower, which turns out to be a dummy planted by a couple of kids who've just been nabbed by a motorcycle officer in a timely manner. Johnny's impressed that they climbed all the way up the tower just to pull a prank.

At Rampart, Early determines that Johnny doesn't have a fracture. Joe the grocer (uncredited Milton Frome), who's been donating provisions to the hermit, comes in with the box boy, Jerry, to see him. Talking to Dix about him, Joe volunteers to take the hermit to stay with him and later wheels him out. Elsewhere, a grateful Celia invites Mike to her next show. At the station, Roy is disheartened to learn on the phone that DeGeorgio has already sold the equipment to someone else.

The station and several other units are called to a climactic chemical company fire, complete with periodic backlot explosions. The firefighters go in with equipment to find and extract a scientist who's unconscious in his lab. Coming to, the man panics, saying that he can't see; and warns them of the chemical formula that caused the explosion, which is written on his blackboard, so Johnny goes back in to take a picture of it. Back at the station, Johnny tries to impress the other firefighters with his knowledge of photography, which clears the dining area.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
"Ted Baxter Meets Walter Cronkite"
Wiki said:
After winning his first Teddy Award, Ted meets his idol, Walter Cronkite, and assumes that he is on his way to a network career.

Rhoda drops by Ted's dressing room to show him sketches for a publicity campaign to help him win the Teddy Award. One of Ted's stunts is to close the news with an unscripted prayer. Lou wants to fire or kill him, but Mary talks him out of it.

Lou: Oh, he's shrewd. We think he's stupid, but he's smarter than all of us.​

The newsroom gang gather in their tuxes at Mary's place, along with Mary's date, now-recurring love interest Andy Rivers (John Gabriel). When Rhoda learns that Marie's not going, Murray agrees to take her as his date.

To everyone's surprise, Ted actually wins, and goes into a self-pitying acceptance speech. We learn afterward that Lou slapped him to get him off the podium. Ted speculates about moving up to the network news. The next day at the newsroom, Murray and Mary are shocked by the figure they see in the hallway, who promptly walks in asking to see Lou. Ted initially blows him off without looking at who he is, but when he realizes, he assumes that the visit is all about him. Lou introduces Cronkite to the starstruck newsroom cast, and is professionally polite in the face of Ted's self-promotion...though he promises on the side to get even with Lou. (They don't specify why Cronkite happens to be visiting Lou.)
MTM07.jpg
Afterward, Ted doesn't understand Cronkite's lack of interest, and Mary and Murray are kicking themselves for being tongue-tied in the CBS anchor's presence.

Really, there wasn't much of a story here. They were just filling time until the celebrity guest randomly dropped in.

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
"A Love Story"
Wiki said:
Howard falls in love with Bob's sister Ellen (Pat Finley) even though she's engaged to another man.

This one was directed by Peter Bonerz.

Bob is embarrassed when his mother drops by the office and tells Michelle Nardo a story about how her shrink used to run around naked when she was trying to get him into the bath. Mrs. Hartley is visiting to announce that Ellen is getting married, though Bob already heard it directly from his sister. Bob finds himself stuck in the apartment for the shower that Emily's hosting when a ball game is rained out. Howard drops in as the guests are leaving, is immediately thunderstruck by Ellen, and is undeterred when Bob informs him that she's getting married the following weekend.

Howard drops in again to flirt with Ellen after the Hartleys leave for work.

Howard: What are you doing tonight?
Ellen: I'm having a wedding rehearsal.​

Howard spends the day helping her prepare for the wedding, then drops by Bob's office the next day desperate to stop the ceremony. Bob tries to talk sense into him, and later as Howard's engaging in the lonely task of ironing at his apartment, Emily drops in to console him. After she leaves, Howard resists the urge to call Ellen and is settling back into his chore to the accompaniment of a moody jazz record when Ellen drops in to announce that she called it off, and things get steamy...
BN08.jpg
I was surprised when this didn't turn out to be a fantasy sequence. I wonder if this goes anywhere.

Mrs. Hartley subsequently sits Bob, Emily, and Ellen down to formally announce the indefinite postponement of the wedding and the repurposing of the ceremony to her and Mr. Hartley renewing their vows...all of which everyone already knew again.

_______

It must plug into the USB port of the watch. :D It's pretty ridiculous, but it looks cool. It wouldn't have any range at all, unless it communicates with a booster in her car.
Range-wise, she was talking to Duke, who was on stakeout within line of sight. I'm thinking that the gadget was probably meant to pass muster for a quick look on non-rewindable TV...it conveyed the impression of what it was supposed to be.

Last edited:
Wheedle_on_the_Needle_-_35th_Anniversary_Edition.jpg

Fifty years ago saw the release of the children's book 'Wheedle on the Needle', the story about a Sasquatch/Bigfoot that lives on top of the Space Needle, whose red nose blinks at night while he's sleeping.
He became the mascot for the Seattle Supersonics from 1974 to 1985 and his book inspired a Seattle based band Annakonda to record the song 'Wheedle's Groove', which became the theme song for the Seattle Supersonics.

I never realized that Gordy was the dad from Good Times--was Amos wearing a piece on MTM?
I'm not sure. I probably didn't realize it was the same guy until MTM was in reruns, since he was not always on MTM and I seldom watched Good Times.

It turns out that Amos (34 at the time) was substantially closer to Walker's age (26) than Rolle's (53).
Wow, that is some weird casting. I never realized that.

James is anticipating a letter with the results of an aptitude test that he took to join a union apprenticeship program, via which he hopes to get a steady job paying $4.25 per hour.
More than I made at my first full-time job five years later. :rommie:

He's happy, but isn't that kinda short notice to convey via snail mail?
Sitcom timing. And does anybody ever really get their mail at breakfast time? :rommie:

But when the interviewer (Woodrow Parfrey) learns that James is 41, he explains that the program is restricted by government rules to men between 18 and 35.
That's weird. I wonder if they're talking about a real program.

I suspected that we wouldn't get the famous catchphrase right out of the box...but apparently we kinda did, as looking it up, it was first heard on the air in the third-aired pilot.
I wonder how the show would have evolved without JJ, or with a different actor playing JJ. It seems like it turned into more of a Happy Days kinda show than an All In The Family kinda show.

Felix gets a telegram that his brother Floyd will be coming to visit for a few days.
Has there ever been any indication in conversation or flashbacks that Felix has a brother Floyd?

and for the purposes of the episode, Felix is suddenly disillusioned with his career as a photographer.
It's like every episode is a soft reboot. :rommie:

which include opera cards for kids who don't like sports and broccoli-flavored gum.
Considering how the collectible card market developed, he might have been ahead of his time on the opera card thing. :rommie:

Oscar promptly announces the news to Floyd, who gives Felix his blessing.
God answers Floyd's prayers, but Oscar is still being punished.

This time the quirky scheme is Roy's thing--he tries to get Johnny to go into part-time business with him after he picks up a notice about buying floor-cleaning equipment at the market...making him seem uncharacteristically eager and naive.
And arbitrary. If he wanted a side hustle, you'd think he'd want to get into something like home safety or whatever.

Johnny crawls inside to find the occupant (Pat Buttram) lying under some rubble.
"I can let you boys have a couple of shovels for five dollars each."

During brief moments of consciousness, the hermit's main concern is whether it's going to cost him anything.
Yup, that's Mr Haney, all right. :rommie:

She acts defensive, insists that she isn't drunk, and at one point tries to bust loose.
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am, bubby!"

Brackett and Dix visit the recovering hermit, attempting to get him to divulge details about himself, though he acts evasive.
"We have no record of a Ben Kenobi. However...."

Johnny's impressed that they climbed all the way up the tower just to pull a prank.
Even though he was hurt and could have been killed by them calling in a false alarm.

Roy is disheartened to learn on the phone that DeGeorgio has already sold the equipment to someone else.
Don't worry, Roy, there are more subplots.

The firefighters go in with equipment to find and extract a scientist who's unconscious in his lab.
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Unconscious scientists in exploding labs always lead to something fun.

Coming to, the man panics, saying that he can't see; and warns them of the chemical formula that caused the explosion, which is written on his blackboard, so Johnny goes back in to take a picture of it.
"Don't get any on your skin. There are mutagenic side effects!"

Rhoda drops by Ted's dressing room to show him sketches for a publicity campaign to help him win the Teddy Award.
I wonder if Ted is actually paying her for this. :rommie:

When Rhoda learns that Marie's not going, Murray agrees to take her as his date.
Uh oh. Now Marie's going to be jealous of Rhoda.

We learn afterward that Lou slapped him to get him off the podium.
Show, don't tell! :rommie:

(They don't specify why Cronkite happens to be visiting Lou.)
They're old friends from WWII.

Really, there wasn't much of a story here. They were just filling time until the celebrity guest randomly dropped in.
But that was a hell of a celebrity guest.

Bob finds himself stuck in the apartment for the shower that Emily's hosting when a ball game is rained out.
Speaking of sitcom logic. Why would Emily be hosting her shower?

Howard drops in as the guests are leaving, is immediately thunderstruck by Ellen
She is pretty cute.

Howard: What are you doing tonight?
Ellen: I'm having a wedding rehearsal.​
It's happened to everyone, Howard. :rommie:

Howard resists the urge to call Ellen and is settling back into his chore to the accompaniment of a moody jazz record when Ellen drops in to announce that she called it off, and things get steamy...
That, however, does not happen to everyone.

I was surprised when this didn't turn out to be a fantasy sequence. I wonder if this goes anywhere.
I think it does. I remember her being around a fair amount.

Range-wise, she was talking to Duke, who was on stakeout within line of sight. I'm thinking that the gadget was probably meant to pass muster for a quick look on non-rewindable TV...it conveyed the impression of what it was supposed to be.
And that's all it really needs to do. :rommie:

Wheedle_on_the_Needle_-_35th_Anniversary_Edition.jpg

Fifty years ago saw the release of the children's book 'Wheedle on the Needle', the story about a Sasquatch/Bigfoot that lives on top of the Space Needle, whose red nose blinks at night while he's sleeping.
He became the mascot for the Seattle Supersonics from 1974 to 1985 and his book inspired a Seattle based band Annakonda to record the song 'Wheedle's Groove', which became the theme song for the Seattle Supersonics.

That's pretty cool. It looks a little Dr Seuss-ish.

Wow, that is some weird casting. I never realized that.
As came up at some point in the past, there was an even bigger age gap between Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford--he was 21 years younger!

Has there ever been any indication in conversation or flashbacks that Felix has a brother Floyd?
Not that I recall, but I should have been keeping notes for this show.

God answers Floyd's prayers, but Oscar is still being punished.
As usual, he seemed fine with having Felix back when the time came.

"I can let you boys have a couple of shovels for five dollars each."
:lol:

Yup, that's Mr Haney, all right. :rommie:
He must've gotten hit pretty hard by the Great CBS Rural Purge of '71.

Don't worry, Roy, there are more subplots.
:D

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Unconscious scientists in exploding labs always lead to something fun.
Uncredited Guest Scientist is believed to be dead, and he must let the world think that he is dead...

This was a particularly egregious example of actors with substantial speaking roles not getting credited. The actress who played Cealy in particular got some pretty meaty Marcus Welby scenes.

I wonder if Ted is actually paying her for this. :rommie:
When Mary walked in on them, he tried to pass it off as something else...

Show, don't tell! :rommie:
Indeed!

But that was a hell of a celebrity guest.
You could tell that they were limiting how much Cronkite had to do on camera, but writing-wise, they could have integrated his appearance into the story a little better. They might as well have had Mary telling Murray that when she read about Cronkite's appearance in TV Guide, she didn't believe it.

Speaking of sitcom logic. Why would Emily be hosting her shower?
I was wondering that myself.

Last edited:
Back