The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Just caught a couple of promos on H&I...looks like they're going to be getting Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess starting Feb. 8. Hercules is going to be on 6 p.m. EST weeknights...didn't catch the time for Xena, as the font showing it was small and stylized, but the promo implied that they might be back-to-back.

Nice to see them breaking up their blocks of cop shows and adding a little more variety to their line-up...especially as it's genre-oriented.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Random_Spock likes this.
  2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i hope Hulk replaces Emergency! or CHiPS.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

When I was a kid, back when the show was first run, we'd sing:

It's about time
    It's about space
    It's about time
    I'd slap your face.

Random_Spock likes this.
  4. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think NIGHT GALLERY's best episode (other than the pilot) was the last of the hour efforts (season 2 finale). Which contained both "The Caterpillar" and "Little Girl Lost". Unfortunately, a good deal of LGL had to be cut for running time to fit in the hour. The uncut versions of LGL appears as a bonus on the season 3 DVD set.

5. The Old Mixer

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I was surprised about the Kirby cameo. He so rarely got public recognition when he was alive, never promoted himself as easily as Lee did. It's surprising that he made a creator cameo so many years before Lee started doing it.

7. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice! I loved those shows :). Looking forward to catching them again.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I get why you'd say CHiPs, but I like Emergency!

9. The Old Mixer

The Feb. 6-7 Decades Binge will be: The Man from UNCLE. Looks like they'll be starting in the middle of Season 1 and getting most of the way through Season 2.

Also, the H&I site confirms that Hercules and Xena will be on back-to-back at 6 and 7 p.m. EST weekdays and 3 and 4 p.m. Saturdays.

Now if only Me would get on the ball and put something on their site about TIH.

Also, I wonder if H&I will be dumping Kung Fu entirely, as it's the current occupant of the 3 p.m. Saturday slot. I was just starting to get into the habit of catching it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

its not a bad show at all. its just that for me its one of those shows i've seen so much i'm sick of. like Gilligan's Island.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ah, The Man From UNCLE. That will be a good binge. And I just got the movie, which I hope to watch this weekend if I have time.

12. RJDiogenes

I've been DVR'ing random episodes of The Avengers to watch when I visit my Mother on Saturday mornings. It's been all Tara King episodes until yesterday when we got a season two episode-- Steed's sidekick was a guy named Dr. King. I wonder if they're related. It was in black-and-white and on videotape. It kind of felt like an early Dark Shadows episode or one of those really bad videotaped Twilight Zones.

13. The Old Mixer

Me now has their Feb. 8 schedule up--No sign of the Hulk...the Super Sci-Fi Saturday Night lineup could be in danger.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, that I get...

15. The Old Mixer

Me finally announced their upcoming line-up changes: http://metv.com/winter

TIH will be on Saturdays at 7 p.m. EST, with Superman and Batman being reduced to one episode each.

Way down at the bottom of the page, it says that Naked City and Route 66 are leaving their line-up. I wonder if those are going somewhere else...?

As for H&I, I can't find an announcement of their full schedule changes, but going by their Feb. 8 schedule, Kung Fu will be on 1 p.m. EST weekdays, and Branded and The Guns of Will Sonnett will no longer be in their weekday morning slots, at least.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I see they're also adding Diagnosis: Murder, which is kind of a perfect show for this network. It was heavily steeped in TV nostalgia itself, sometimes bringing back actors from vintage shows as their original characters (including Mannix and Mission: Impossible's Cinnamon Carter).

Assuming the only effect on Batman is the reduction to one per week, that just means it'll take them one week longer to reach the end of the series.

17. The Old Mixer

Kind of odd that they'd only be playing one part of the Batman two-parters per week, when they were paired together even in their original broadcasts.

18. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Consecutive nights, wasn't it? It couldn't be the same night, or it wouldn't be the same bat-time!

19. The Old Mixer

Yep, but you didn't have to wait a week.

20. RJDiogenes

That's what I had predicted as the best outcome. No shows are actually being removed from the Saturday Night Lineup, so everybody's favorites are safe. Although now that I think of it, that means that Superman is off the menu for me, since that's when they air Community Auditions in my area (not that I ever have time to actually watch these shows).

Random_Spock likes this.