The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Just caught a couple of promos on H&I...looks like they're going to be getting Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess starting Feb. 8. Hercules is going to be on 6 p.m. EST weeknights...didn't catch the time for Xena, as the font showing it was small and stylized, but the promo implied that they might be back-to-back.

Nice to see them breaking up their blocks of cop shows and adding a little more variety to their line-up...especially as it's genre-oriented.

Last edited:
My exile from MeTV continuing, I've got Cozi on. I didn't realize that Here's Lucy was in first run when I was a little kid. I had to do a bit of Wiki'ing to figure out the difference between this one and The Lucy Show, which I used to see in syndication as a kid. It's a bit confusing with Gale Gordon co-starring in both shows as different characters. "So that's not Mr. Mooney...?"

ETA: MeTv is reportedly getting The Incredible Hulk, evidently in a weekday timeslot. (The one mention I was able to find online said that it starts Feb. 8.)

ETA: Just caught some of the show that airs before It's About Time on Antenna Sunday mornings. This one-season wonder I'd never seen, but had heard of, whispered in legend: My Mother the Car. (Hey, look, it's Dick Van Dyke's brother.)
i hope Hulk replaces Emergency! or CHiPS.

I have heard of that show, as a notable flop, but never knew anything about it. But it does explain a lyric from my teen years, from a 1983 song called "I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts" by X:

Astronauts go back in time
To hang out with the cave people
It's about time!
It's about space!
When I was a kid, back when the show was first run, we'd sing:

It's about time
It's about space
It's about time
I'd slap your face.

I think NIGHT GALLERY's best episode (other than the pilot) was the last of the hour efforts (season 2 finale). Which contained both "The Caterpillar" and "Little Girl Lost". Unfortunately, a good deal of LGL had to be cut for running time to fit in the hour. The uncut versions of LGL appears as a bonus on the season 3 DVD set.

Yeah, I was surprised about the Kirby cameo. He so rarely got public recognition when he was alive, never promoted himself as easily as Lee did. It's surprising that he made a creator cameo so many years before Lee started doing it.

Just caught a couple of promos on H&I...looks like they're going to be getting Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess starting Feb. 8. Hercules is going to be on 6 p.m. EST weeknights...didn't catch the time for Xena, as the font showing it was small and stylized, but the promo implied that they might be back-to-back.

Nice to see them breaking up their blocks of cop shows and adding a little more variety to their line-up...especially as it's genre-oriented.

Nice! I loved those shows :). Looking forward to catching them again.

The Feb. 6-7 Decades Binge will be: The Man from UNCLE. Looks like they'll be starting in the middle of Season 1 and getting most of the way through Season 2.

Also, the H&I site confirms that Hercules and Xena will be on back-to-back at 6 and 7 p.m. EST weekdays and 3 and 4 p.m. Saturdays.

Now if only Me would get on the ball and put something on their site about TIH.

Also, I wonder if H&I will be dumping Kung Fu entirely, as it's the current occupant of the 3 p.m. Saturday slot. I was just starting to get into the habit of catching it.

Last edited:
Ah, The Man From UNCLE. That will be a good binge. And I just got the movie, which I hope to watch this weekend if I have time.

I've been DVR'ing random episodes of The Avengers to watch when I visit my Mother on Saturday mornings. It's been all Tara King episodes until yesterday when we got a season two episode-- Steed's sidekick was a guy named Dr. King. I wonder if they're related. It was in black-and-white and on videotape. It kind of felt like an early Dark Shadows episode or one of those really bad videotaped Twilight Zones.

Me now has their Feb. 8 schedule up--No sign of the Hulk...the Super Sci-Fi Saturday Night lineup could be in danger.

Me finally announced their upcoming line-up changes: http://metv.com/winter

TIH will be on Saturdays at 7 p.m. EST, with Superman and Batman being reduced to one episode each.

Way down at the bottom of the page, it says that Naked City and Route 66 are leaving their line-up. I wonder if those are going somewhere else...?

As for H&I, I can't find an announcement of their full schedule changes, but going by their Feb. 8 schedule, Kung Fu will be on 1 p.m. EST weekdays, and Branded and The Guns of Will Sonnett will no longer be in their weekday morning slots, at least.

Last edited:
I see they're also adding Diagnosis: Murder, which is kind of a perfect show for this network. It was heavily steeped in TV nostalgia itself, sometimes bringing back actors from vintage shows as their original characters (including Mannix and Mission: Impossible's Cinnamon Carter).

Assuming the only effect on Batman is the reduction to one per week, that just means it'll take them one week longer to reach the end of the series.

Kind of odd that they'd only be playing one part of the Batman two-parters per week, when they were paired together even in their original broadcasts.

^ Consecutive nights, wasn't it? It couldn't be the same night, or it wouldn't be the same bat-time!

That's what I had predicted as the best outcome. No shows are actually being removed from the Saturday Night Lineup, so everybody's favorites are safe. Although now that I think of it, that means that Superman is off the menu for me, since that's when they air Community Auditions in my area (not that I ever have time to actually watch these shows).

Back