The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

Growing up, in the upstairs playroom, was a wallpaper version of that picture that covered the entire wall. 6'x8' I think it was. If I remember correctly, I asked for it as a birthday present. We lived in that house from 76-92 and I think it was installed in 80-81, so it was there for the majority of my teenage years. I would take my "Star Wars", "Star Trek" and any other spaceships that I had and fly them around the picture.

2. DarrenTR1970

Another part of our childhood has passed away. R.I.P. Bob McGrath.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I wouldn't have recognized it as the same song if you hadn't told me.

I had this, but had no idea all those people were on, and that it had such a strong Fab connection.

It was in the late '80s. This is the beginning of the end of an era...one that defined the '60s.

Beg pardon?

As I see it, somebody's finally threatening to take second place. China lost the race with my 50th anniversary post.

This number was originally released in '68 on Bookends, and comes to us here as the charting B-side of the "For Emily..." single, which was issued to promote their Greatest Hits album.

When we had the occasion to be up in the northwestern part of the state, my ex would always tell me that this was about when Carole spent time in a rehab in Canaan, CT.

This has a nice sound. I read that the less prominently featured singer who sounds Michael-ish was 12 at the time.

It should in this case, as the original was early '60s doo-wop, which tends to get lumped in with '50s music. And "sounds like the '50s" is going to be less negatively perceived in the current retro-decade, with '50s nostalgia coming into its heyday.

Elton's first chart-topper, and one of his most enjoyably rollickin' numbers.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Very wise. My Uncle Mike did sort of the same thing, signing up for submarine duty in the Navy.

That's an interesting conundrum. It doesn't seem like something that would apply today, but it's a good thing you weren't a premie.

At least you'd be eligible to run for president either way. :D My Father was not eligible for the draft, because he had TB, which at the time was like having AIDS-- only worse, because it was more contagious-- so I have a quite different birthing tale. He was hospitalized at the time I was born, so my Mother went in to (what was then) Boston City Hospital alone and delivered moi. Since she was a poor kid from Dorchester with a disease-infected husband, the helpful nurse told her that there was no way she'd be allowed to take me home. At that, my Mother performed the one and only act of rebellion of her life and fled AMA when no one was looking. :rommie: In the heartwarming code, my Mother was standing in the street holding a newborn baby with no money and no way to get home, so she told a cabbie that if he gave her a ride her father would be home to pay him-- he just gave her a freebie.

Nice. When I was that age, I was in a room with paneled walls, so it wouldn't have worked for me, but I would have loved it.

Aw, man, good old Bob. I remember that original gang very well: Bob and Maria, and Susan and Gordon, and Mr Hooper. Those were the days.

Yeah, probably the same for me.

I don't think many people today appreciate the profound difference of living in a country with an all-volunteer army.

The mice. Pesky little buggers. They get in everywhere. :rommie:

And Russians won't be putting their boots on alien dirt any time soon, that's for sure.

That's very interesting. I assumed the more obvious connection, and that it was some spiritual reference that I didn't understand.

Yeah, I knew it was a cover. :D And "sounds like the 50s" isn't meant to be negative-- the 50s were cool!

DarrenTR1970 likes this.
  5. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 1)

_______

M*A*S*H
    "Henry Please Come Home"
    Originally aired November 19, 1972
    The episode opens on the note of Burns wanting to file insubordination charges against Lt. Ginger Bayliss (Odessa Cleveland) for wrongly anticipating what suture he'd use. General Hammond (G. Wood's last of three appearances in the role from the pilot) comes to the camp to award Blake with a citation of merit for the 4077th's efficiency rating, and announces that the colonel is being reassigned to Tokyo. Hawkeye and Trapper are happy for him until they learn that Burns is moving into Blake's office. Burns immediately begins to enforce regulations to which the surgeons are unaccustomed, such as saluting, revelry, daily exercises, and inspections. He has the guys in the Swamp (including Jones) put on report for the condition of their tent and confiscates their still.

Hawkeye and Trapper get passes to Tokyo from Radar to try to coax Blake back, but the colonel is enjoying the luxuries of the more civilized posting, including Japanese baths, massages, and food. The guys come up with a story that Radar's suffering from a mysterious ailment, so Henry rushes back to diagnose him, and the plan starts to backfire when Blake wants to put him straight into surgery. Burns tries to assert his authority and Radar accidentally blows the ruse, so Hawkeye confesses, following which Blake formally retakes command. (I have to think that it would be more complicated than that.)

_______

Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
    Season 6, episode 10
    Originally aired November 20, 1972
    This one's episode 11 on ShoutFactory, FWIW. James Caan is the main guest and gets introduced onstage at the beginning of the episode, with some slapstick about how he's become desensitized to violence.

Kathy Speirs does bits where she's reporting from a nudist colony, artfully covered up by the planks of a wooden fence that she's standing behind. Fabray does more cameo jokes in sign language.

James Caan in the cocktail party:

Caan in a skit:

The Q&A segment, which has Dan berating Dick for coming out in a Santa suit for Thanksgiving (Has he ever seen the Macy's parade?), launches a salute to the holiday:

_______

Hawaii Five-O
    "V for Vashon: The Father"
    Originally aired November 21, 1972
    The episode--also not displaying an onscreen part number--opens at the funeral of Chris Vashon. While Honore still intends to exact his revenge, he objects to his father doing things his way, having a picture taken of a mock tombstone for McGarrett over the open grave, to be sent as a threat. Steve confronts Honore about it, and notes how it was his son who shot first, then continued to attempt to escape while wounded, when he might have been treated in time if he'd surrendered. Steve also declares his own contract, to see Honore sentenced to life in prison. Steve tells Five-O of his intent to leave himself exposed enough for Vashon to show his hand. Later, carefully inspecting his car outside HQ, Steve finds a hair he left across the seam of the hood out of place, and puts the premises on bomb alert. A bomb squad member disarms a device under the hood, but as the car is being prepared for towing to be forensically inspected, an unlocked door tips McGarrett off too late to the presence of a second device, which takes down the truck driver.

McGarrett gets a court order for extensive surveillance, which Honore soon spots, finding his phone tapped and home bugged. He arranges via writing to have the hired local talent who planted the bombs killed, and has a surfside chat with his father, who calls in an old favor to have a hit man imported--something that Five-O is on the watch for. Honore isn't happy with Dominick's willingness to use Honore's wife, Marguerite (Elizabeth Cole), to smuggle messages in and out during church visits.

Dominick: There is nothing more sacred than killing McGarrett!​

The hit man, an Aussie named Dylan Heyward (Don Knight), is picked up discretely, following which a helicopter lands on the beach at Vashon's place and he hops in, while the surveillance team watches helplessly.

At a rendezvous on another beach, Honore discusses terms with Heyward, who demands two weeks to surveil McGarrett--which is bargained down to 10 days--and complete autonomy in how he does the job. When prompted on the matter of payment, he also threatens to do a freebie on Vashon if he's bilked. Heyward watches McGarrett's movements for days, determining how he'll do the job, and rents an office across the street from Steve's office. (If ever there was a golden opportunity to show us Steve's pad, this would have been it, but the possibility is completely avoided.) Interpol turns Heyward up as a suspected hit man who's recently arrived on the islands, causing Steve to deduce that he's been watched for a week, and he decides to not break his usual routine in order to not tip Heyward off. Five-O learns of the office rental, so as Steve puts in staged late nights, Danno uses a night vision telescope to watch Heyward watching Steve.

Heyward's own movements tip Five-O off to the night he intends to strike. As he's setting up his rifle, a policewoman posing as a call girl (Elithe Aguiar) pays a "wrong address" visit to distract him...allowing McGarrett to be switched with a dummy and Five-O to bust in on Heyward when it's shot. Heyward tries to negotiate a light sentence in order to implicate Vashon, but Steve plays hardball, offering him instead maximum security imprisonment on the mainland to protect him from the Vashons. Unlike last week's witnesses, Heyward comes through on the stand, and Honore is sentenced to ten years in state prison. A couple of courtroom exchanges set up next week...

Steve to Manicote: Two down, John.​

Dominick to Honore: My turn!​

_______

Adam-12
    "Vendetta"
    Originally aired November 22, 1972
    On night patrol, the officers see the back door of a shop open, so they call for backup and have the place surrounded. Before moving in, they see an approaching green sedan screech away at the sight of them. The officers cautiously enter the darkened tailor shop, Malloy trips an alarm under a rug, and the owner, Angelo Covelli (Nehemiah Persoff), comes out from behind a curtain with a shotgun, thinking he's caught someone. They find signs that he was sitting in waiting behind the curtain and Malloy accuses him of having left the door open to ambush someone. He objects to their questions and they leave, bringing the matter to Mac's attention at the station. A check turns up a spotless record for the tailor, who immigrated after the war from a village near Trieste that had been occupied by Italy.

On patrol the next day, the officers respond to a call from an irrate barfly named Janice Walker (Barbara Nichols), who wants a very drunk, moaning man named Wilbur (John Wheeler) removed from her car. After Malloy tries unsuccessfully to learn how many drinks he had, Reed breaks the news that Wilbur has thrown up in the squad car.

On a hunch, the officers visit the church in Covelli's neighborhood and speak to Father Janos (Peter Brocco), trying to gain insight as to Angelo's motivations, and learn that what they heard him say when jumping from behind the curtain translates as "Ustashi, you are dead"...the Ustashi having been Yugoslavs who sided with the Nazis. Janos remembers Angelo telling him of a brother who died in a Ustashi slave labor camp. Later on patrol, the officers are called back to the station because Covelli is there complaining to Mac about how they've been invading his privacy. They use the opportunity to confront him about what they've learned. Covelli leaves, warning them to stay away.

On night patrol, the officers are enjoying a seven in the car (having called for it between scenes) when they hear a call about shots fired in the rear of Covelli's shop. They voluntarily respond, and find a man lying on the floor in the spot where they'd stood previously...but the man's alive, the weapon having been a flat iron to the head, while the man had a gun that got one shot off. Mac informs the officers of a call to see Father Janos, who takes them to Covelli. The now-shocked tailor explains how the man came into his shop a couple of weeks ago and he recognized him as Durdjevitch, the Ustashi who killed his brother. He explains how he'd set the ambush because he expected Durdjevitch to come after him, and says he decided to let the matter go after speaking to the officers and Janos...but Durdjevitch came back as anticipated and pulled a gun on Covelli, causing the tailor to snap and attack him. Covelli submits himself to arrest, but the officers reveal that Durdjevitch is alive and will likely be deported and serve time if Covelli gives them a statement.

_______

:weep: Glad that worked out for ya.

I think that all the time in relation to Millennial criticism of Boomers, but don't get me started on that tangent...

Ah...yeah, I can relate from my prior homeowning experience.

I couldn't find anything about it on a quick search to verify, either, so I have to wonder how well known it is.

In proper context, absolutely....but in the context of comparing, say, mid-'60s music to '50s music, it implies a lack of progression.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  6. RJDiogenes

I'm sure everybody's heard by now that Kirstie Alley, original Saavik and co-star of Cheers, has died. :(

"You're doing a great job, Henry, let's get you out of here."

Wait, where the hell is Potter? :rommie:

I'm pretty sure they're good with revelry. :D

Radar should have been in charge of the camp from the beginning.

I suspect that the events of this episode are impossible in several ways. :rommie:

Nudity is art. Covering up is not art. :(

Burt Reynolds gets another mention. :rommie:

More civilized, but doesn't have quite the dramatic ring to it. "And furthermore, there will be no possibility of parole!"

Can't be one of his own hairs or Vashon never would have gotten the hood open.

Rookie mistake not checking for more bombs.

This could set off a domino effect, resulting in a shortage of local assassins.

Now that would have been a good episode title.

See, I was right. They killed off all their local guys and had to outsource.

Now this is a hit man.

Speaking of tropes. :rommie:

The audience was not ready. They're still not ready.

If they were smart, they'd have a daily list of rentals and vacancies facing HQ at every morning stand-up meeting.

He's a big negotiator, this guy. :rommie:

Hardball indeed.

I'm surprised they didn't call this in or otherwise follow up.

Another guy who was everywhere in those days.

Close one, Malloy.

Now there's something that could have been cut for syndication. :ack:

Wow. Pete and Jim cross paths with history.

So Janos had to have been in that camp, too, for them to recognize each other. That was quite an episode.

I often think about that anonymous cab driver and his good deed. My Mother still talks about him after all these years, and I grew up hearing the story, so he's also played a part in every good deed that I ever did for someone. Goes to show that a simple act of kindness can carry on through decades and generations.

I can dig it.

I live next door to a supermarket. 'nuff said. :rommie:

7. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 2)

_______

The Brady Bunch
    "Goodbye, Alice, Hello"
    Originally aired November 24, 1972
    While horsing around with Greg, Peter accidentally breaks an antique lamp in Mike's den with a Frisbee. The boys try to glue the lamp back together, but Carol immediately notices the it condition when she comes home. She questions Alice, who's forced to talk, making the boys sore at her. Later Carol finds the record player on, asks who's been using it, and learns from Alice that Marcia had been the night before, inadvertently getting Marcia in trouble. In another incident, Alice stops Bobby and Cindy from going to a neighbor's to use the pool with no swimsuits on under their robes, as the neighbors don't wear any. The kids stop talking to Alice, and she hears Bobby and Cindy talking about how they can't trust her anymore.

A tearful Alice goes to see Kay, another housekeeper who believes in not getting attached to the families she works for. Alice feels she has to leave the Bradys, so she makes up a story about having to run a dress shop for an uncle, and avoids saying goodbye to the kids...who are surprised to find Kay working in the kitchen and shocked to hear that Alice left so abruptly. The kids try to make the most of the situation, but find Kay to be an antisocial stuffed shirt. The spokeskids, Greg and Marcia, confess to Carol about why they think Alice left, and learn the context of the alleged squealing incidents. Not being completely unsympathetic, Kay tells the kids how she saw Alice at a restaurant, which is where Alice is really working as a waitress. The six of them take a booth there and make awkward small talk with her, getting her in trouble with her boss and a customer (Snag Werris and Harry Crigger). The kids finally break down and apologize, telling Alice how much they've missed her, causing her to take a seat and break down in tears again...and to jump at the opportunity to return to the Bradys when her boss threatens to fire her.

_______

Love, American Style
    "Love and the Caller / Love and the Secret Life / Love and the Swinging Philosophy / Love and the Woman in White"
    Originally aired November 24, 1972

The only segment I have from this episode is "Love and the Caller," in which ever-dateless Maureen (Fredricka Weber), jealous of her attractive roommate Amy's (Anne Randall) busy social life, picks up an obscene phone call and finds it kind of flattering. She has reason to think that it's a guy from the office who's been eyeing her, Barney Dereemus, so she calls him and invites him over to back up the content of his call, dressing up for the occasion. The bespectacled Barney arrives (Austin Pendleton) and, after confirming he was the caller by talking to her similarly through the door, immediately tries to make an excuse to leave after she opens it. He stays at her insistence, and it starts to become clear that his lewdly romantic way with words only expresses itself when he can't see the woman he's talking to, such as when on opposite sides of a door. She tries to play amateur shrink to help him with his problem so he can express himself face-to-face, but it's not working until he accidentally turns off the light...so she goes with that solution, despite some audible mishaps.

_______

Emergency!
    "Women"
    Originally aired November 25, 1972
    There used to be a better clip of Spock from "The Cage" available...

Christy Todd (Leslie Charleson) from Flange magazine immediately fishes for a feminist angle by asking the firefighters why they don't have a woman doing the stationkeeping work for them. Roy rolls his eyes as Johnny tries to impress her. The station is called to the scene of a truck overturned amid live wires, which are cut so the paramedics can get to work with the jaws...all while Christy snaps pictures...though she makes some commentary posing as a question about whether she could have done the same thing.

Four-year old Earl Keifer is brought into Rampart after falling unconscious in his backyard. Morton asks his mother (apparently uncredited) a series of questions, attempting to shed light on the cause. Additional questioning by Early indicates wild hemlock, and the boy soon dies between scenes, evoking regret from Morton. Brackett's examining a young female seizure victim, Monica Howarth (Janit Baldwin), who's brought in by her father, Mr. Howarth (Stacy Harris), who gets protectively defensive when they question him about her history with drugs. Christy tries to commiserate with Dix about Johnny's allegedly imperious attitude, but she disagrees with Todd's assessment of him, encouraging the journalist to wait and see it for herself.

Johnny vents about Christy at the station, but Chet doesn't think that she's a woman's libber. When Johnny displays an attitude in her presence, she looks pleased, but doesn't dispute him. The squad is called to aid a man named Harvey Gibbs (Randall Carver), who's trapped unclothed in a collapsed sofa bed, while the young lady who called them (Susan Damante) mockingly hints that there was a little more going on than he's willing to describe. Afterward, Christy shows her hand when she describes the situation as an example of "typical masculine ineptitude". Back at the station, Roy's playing devil's advocate regarding Christy when Chet returns from a fire now agreeing with Johnny, describing how she tried to put it out herself and scolded the firefighters for intervening.

The next call she accompanies the squad on is for a man named Morris Meers (Dick Van Patten), whose hand is caught in a sink's garbage disposal because he was fishing for the ring of his berating wife, Tilly (Ann Morgan Guilbert). When Johnny has words about Mrs. Meers afterward, Christy drops a few choice words to describe Johnny--Roy having to explain what "misogynistic" means for his benefit as well as the audience's. The paramedics are checking up on one of the patients at Rampart when Brackett chews out a nurse in the corridor for not following instructions. While a word from Dix quickly cools him off, he makes a dismissive remark about how nurses can't be expected to know what doctors know, and Christy starts to chew him out for discrimination. Johnny tries to intervene, but Kel is happy to hear her out.

The now-conscious Monica's brother, Artie (Michael Richardson), visits the hospital, and while he tries to keep the matter private, it soon comes out that Monica was trying to go cold turkey from downers that he provided. Brackett puts the boy in his place, and Early plays the "good doctor," convincing Artie that he needs to come clean about what she was taking so they can properly wean her off. In a confrontation with his father, Artie blames him as their motivation for turning to drugs.

Back at the station, an eavesdropping Christy confronts the whole crew about allegedly feeling threatened that a woman could do their job as easily as they could. The station is then among the units called to a building explosion. Deputy Howard is on the scene to inform them that the explosion happened in the basement. Christy tries to sneak inside, but is stopped by Lopez. The paramedics try to see to a man trapped under rubble inside, who's reluctant to divulge his name, Monty Bodine (Joshua Bryant). He hints to Johnny that they're still in danger, and outside Howard identifies him as a bomber who's politically motivated to clear slums. Monty tells the firefighters that his second bomb is set to go off in five minutes. Bodine is incredulous that they continue to rescue him, which they do quite promptly, but with two minutes left, Johnny is delayed by debris falling on him, injuring his leg. Roy insists on going in after him when the bomb could go off at any second, and the two paramedics clear the building just before it goes up again. Christy seems genuinely affected by this situation.

In the coda, Johnny's pleased to tell Roy that he went out on a date with Christy the night before, and claims that his hostile attitude was a ploy to attract her.

I'd say that the Mark VII crew was playing softball with Christy. They've been much harsher with male guest characters who interfered with first responders doing their jobs, and quite recently in this case.

_______

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    "You've Got a Friend"
    Mary's taking her parents to dinner for her mother's birthday. Her father gives Mary a pin he made that's shaped like an anatomically correct heart. Mary visits Rhoda afterward, concerned that her father's life has become reduced to talking about drapes. She invites Lou to have lunch with her and Walter, and plans to give them tickets to a ball game. Things start off awkwardly with the men, and get more tense when Walter's medical knowledge clashes with Lou's drinking and aversion to exercise.

Mary (to waitress): I'll have a bloody Mary...but without the vodka.
    Lou: Y'know the vodka you're leaving out of her drink?...Put it in mine.

Walter: You know, most people think that alcohol is a relaxant. It's actually a depressant.
    Lou: I enjoy getting a little depressed now and then.​

When Mary presents the tickets, both men turn them down as they're busy.

Mary decides to change her tactic to trying to be her father's friend herself, which involves arranging to have dinner at her place with just him...Dottie feeling excluded and going out with Rhoda. In her effort to make conversation, Mary brings up how she was hurt that he missed her high school graduation for a minor operation. This leads to some bonding as he reveals that he still remembers the speech she made from hearing her practice it, following which she cuts her finger and he mis-bandages it.

In the coda, Rhoda reveals that she took Dottie to a singles bar, and we get our last beat in a recurring joke about Ed the sportscaster, who gives out free tickets that come with strings attached for women.

_______

The Bob Newhart Show
    "Anything Happen While I Was Gone?"
    The Hartleys return from a vacation to Mexico--there is a handwave acknowledging Emily's fear of flying, but she's apparently gotten a lot better. At work, Jerry reveals that he's gotten engaged, and not to the woman Bob last knew him to be seeing. Jerry's fiancee, whom Bob soon meets, is Cynthia Fremont (Elaine Giftos), Jerry's new dental hygeinist. Red flags go off when it becomes clear that she's now taking control of Jerry's work and social schedule. Jerry and Cynthia attend a vacation slide show at the Hartleys', along with the rest of the supporting cast, and Jerry reveals that they've set the date for that Sunday. Bob tries to caution Jerry in private about being too quick to jump at what Cynthia wants, and afterward shares with Emily that he thinks Cynthia is what he calls a "backbuster".

Bob (while struggling to put the dining room table back together after removing the middle section): There are very few instances where a man wants a woman who's as strong as he is...and this happens to be one of them.​

At the office, Carol's unenthusiastic about having to take orders from Cynthia. Jerry breaks the news to Bob that somebody he's never heard of is going to be best man...and that he had to fight to get Bob a position as high as head usher. Bob nevertheless finds himself in the position of having to throw a stag party, which is planned to be poker games at his place. Jerry calls Bob from his office to tell Bob that the wedding is off. Bob goes to see him and it turns out that while Jerry has seen the light about Cynthia, he hasn't worked up the nerve to tell her yet. He then calls her to tell her that he wants to slow things down, and she breaks up with him. Bob calls Emily to share the news, and it turns out she's in one of the games.

Coda Emily: Oh, Bob, I can honestly say that this is the best bachelor stag party I've ever been to!​

_______

It's notable that when I heard, I didn't even think of her as Saavik...she definitely grew beyond that introductory role.

Telling Joe what his wife packed him for lunch?

I'm not even gonna ask...

FWIW, she was clearly wearing flesh-colored hose and shoes...but was more convincing from the waist up.

And now I Cap it!

I was thinking of going there...maybe the trouble is finding goo hard enough to make it stick.

I saw that coming, too...Steve was too quick to declare that everything else looked fine with just a glance under the hood.

The idea was that the local guy botched the job, causing them to go for outside talent.

Don't think they got a look at the plate.

It's not like we saw it.

That...is a heckuva way to look at the situation.

8. RJDiogenes

So much for the backdoor pilot of The Birthday-Suit Bunch.

Rotten kids. I would have quit too. Of course, I never would have been working there to begin with. :rommie:

By smashing up some antiques, blasting the home stereo system, and dashing stark raving naked through the streets.

The name of the restaurant was not Alice's restaurant, that was just how they described the place where Alice worked, which didn't actually belong to Alice, but it was different from other restaurants because Alice worked there, and that's why they called it Alice's restaurant.

That kind of compromises the purity of her motivations. :rommie:

Obscene phone calls were another popular topic in those days.

Now this would have been the perfect opportunity for a Bob Hartley cameo. :rommie:

Nice. This is the perfect example of LAS turning a timely premise on its head to create a sweet love story.

"Flange?" :rommie:

Whoa. That was a grim little sidebar.

Christy, meet Dix, an actual Women's Libber. :rommie:

Not exactly up to Walter Cronkite standards of reporting here. :rommie:

"Give me that hose! I swear! You boys couldn't get out of your own way!" :rommie:

He's everywhere. I'm thinking we're on to another cloning situation.

Wow, I don't remember hearing that one way back then. :rommie: What was Roy's take?

And then remind her that there are male nurses too. :rommie:

Why? :rommie:

"Seriously, can't you save me without invading my privacy?"

Hopefully Bodine was, too, and will cease his evil, bomb-making ways.

And vice versa. It was like a little Love, American Style vignette.

Well, she's only a girl. :rommie: What's funny, or not so funny, is that the harsh negative caricature of the Women's Libber that you'd see on TV in those days has become the reality of the 21st century, at least in the extremist bubble of the Internet.

There's a hobby for him if he's bored. He could also make some extra money on Etsy. :rommie:

He gives Lou a pin that's shaped like an anatomically correct heart with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Aww, sweet. In another sitcom, that would have been the main plot, full of hand-wringing and anguish-- with Mary, it's just a nice little character moment.

Again, the more interesting plot occurs offscreen. :rommie:

Another frequently seen character actor (and always a welcome sight).

Jerry's got a lot of desperation going on under his swinging exterior.

Man up, Bob, Emily knows the word. :rommie:

In fact, Untold Tales of Emily would probably be a great show. :rommie:

The article listed a bunch of stuff that she did and, aside from Saavik and her role in Cheers, I don't think I recognized any of it.

Actually wouldn't that come after the war? :D

I'm pretty sure that Frank meant reveille, which is waking the troops up at dawn-- revelry is general merrymaking, which is why the troops don't want to get up at dawn. :rommie:

Yeah, but what if the local guys who are sent to off the other local guys also botch the job? It's a death spiral.

I don't even want to think about it. :ack:

This is what comes of watching too much Kung Fu as a kid. :rommie:

9. The Old Mixer

I have a first-hand memory that I assume links to this mission. I recall my grandma telling me that the astronauts were coming home from the Moon, and I ran outside to look.

Riffing on Arlo, I presume.

Yeah, nothing spices up a date like Bob Hartley showing up...

I might've misheard, and it seems the CC skipped that part. Might've been Phalange or something else that sounds similar.

Roy was matter-of-fact about it: "It means woman-hater." Johnny acted amused, saying it was a great word, and went on, I forgot to note, to accuse Christy of not being journalistically open-minded.

Hardly surprising, between her being the Lois type and wanting to prove herself to be just as capable of rescue work as men despite zero training.

He was doing it as an activist, to clarify.

This sort of thing was all over the zeitgeist at the time. You said you weren't reading Marvel in this period...Sue recently broke up with Reed and left the group (and is in the process of being filled in for by Medusa) when she transformed overnight from a clinging doormat who had to give Reed credit whenever she did something right to an angry, buzzword-spouting woman's libber. Now the real problem there was Stan, who was recently no longer writing her; but in-universe, I have to point the finger at Sue for the rather extreme character swing. (This is also when they introduced Thundra.)

Then that wouldn't be Frank's error, it would be mine... :o

I think they used their own guy, Tosaki, to off the bomber; though it happened offscreen.

I had another thought...could this anonymous cabbie also be held responsible for the bad puns?

publiusr likes this.
  10. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the '80s I was a Cheers guy. Those episodes are wired into my brain like TOS and very few other shows. Kirstie Alley replaced probably the biggest female lead in television at the time: The show was huge, and the Sam and Diane couple was something of a cultural phenomenon.

Cheers had an incredible casting record, and Alley was maybe the best choice of all. She was a truly gifted comic actor, and she committed fully and fearlessly to whatever direction the writers took. I think by the middle of the season, with Rebecca embarrassing herself over her infatuation with her boss, they realized how great Alley was at the neurotic, barely-holding-it-together, oblivious-to-humiliation character that Rebecca became. And they really went with it. Rebecca's (downward) journey hit some very unflattering and un-glamorous points; Alley met every challenge, and was absolutely hilarious.

publiusr likes this.
  11. RJDiogenes

That's fantastic. And, who knows, you might have been looking right at them.

Trying to, at least. :rommie:

He wouldn't have to show up. He's the master of the one-sided telephone conversation-- kind of like that guy. :D

Still weird. IMDB and Wiki are no help.

Gotta go along with him on that one.

Lois is a good comparison, but she's not a good fit for a show with this level of realism.

I wondered what they meant by "clear the slums."

I was aware of Medusa filling in, but not the circumstances. Mainly I remember that she wore that purple outfit and Johnny started wearing red, so now everyone was a different color. Marvel also did some other awkward Women's Lib stuff that I became aware of later, like the Lady Liberators.

Heh. You should have let him take the blame. :rommie: He was always doing stuff like that. My favorite was one time when he had the company lined up, and when he was done with them he said to Radar, "Corporal, deform the men!" :rommie:

That's a good thought. I've been trying for years to figure out a way to work that anecdote into one of my stories-- I could make him the equivalent of the guy who gave Indy his hat in Last Crusade. :D

12. RJDiogenes

Wait, "bad" puns? :mad:

13. The Old Mixer

There were probably better places to view reentry than Indiana...

So you're suggesting that somebody else should have had a one-sided conversation with Bob?

(Not that a crossover was likely, as they were on different networks.)

Johnny also described her as "trying to undo a million years of evolution with a couple of smart remarks". I get the sense that Johnny was serving as Webb's mouthpiece in this scene.

I'll say this for Christy--as guest characters occupying the middle of the seat go, she was better competition for Boot than Vietnam medic guy from the other week.

The Lady Liberators was a couple years ago in 1970; Valkyrie made a follow-up appearance in full women's lib form in a 1971 issue of Hulk.

Sounds like Archie Bunker schtick.

:eek:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Forty-two years ago today, John Lennon was murdered

15. RJDiogenes

I didn't mean that they would be visible, but possibly within your field of vision. I have no idea what the return orbit of the Apollos was like, but offhand I know that the space shuttle precessed far enough North to be seen from Cape Cod. I'll see if I can find out. Though, now that I think about it, if the Moon was within your field of vision, then the capsule was within your field of vision.

Well, it would have had to switch to Bob to be an effective cameo-- perhaps work in some parallels between Bob's monologue and the woman's reactions to the obscene phone call, which also would have been a one-sided monologue of sorts.

Yes, ABC and CBS. I actually remember that much. :rommie:

I would hope that Webb understood the difference between a million years of evolution and ten thousand years of social inertia. But who knows? :rommie:

I don't doubt it, but they really need to get some better middle seaters.

Interesting. I would have guessed 73 or 74.

Now that you mention it. But M*A*S*H was still a ways off from crystallizing its identity. Still some funny wordplay, though.

:rommie:

16. DarrenTR1970

George Newall, co-creator of "Schoolhouse Rock!" passed away the other day. Another part of my childhood growing up.

17. RJDiogenes

Mine, too. These things were a great public service and we could use something like it now. It's amazing how much ignorance there is about how and why things work in government.

I like the part at 2:19 where a Bill has a shotgun casually poking him in the gut. That might be considered somewhat politically incorrect these days. :rommie:

DarrenTR1970 likes this.
  18. DarrenTR1970

Right after being sworn in, politicians should be made to watch these and be told, "This is why the people elected you. Now do your job."

19. The Old Mixer

50 Years Ago This Week

December 10
    • Richard Fliehr made his professional wrestling debut in Rice Lake, Wisconsin, under the name of Ric Flair.

December 11
    • Mankind landed on the Moon for the sixth and last time, as the Apollo 17 lunar module Challenger touched down at 1955 GMT at the Taurus-Litrow crater at 1:54 pm Houston time (1954 GMT).
    • Soviet and Chinese soldiers clashed at the border, with several of the Soviet soldiers being killed.

December 12
    • A boatload with 65 Haitian refugees, mostly black, landed in Florida, the first "boat people" to flee from Haiti to the United States. Landings were sporadic until 1978, when thousands of Haitians, fleeing the Duvalier regime, began seeking sanctuary in the U.S.

December 13
    • North Vietnam's negotiators walked out of the Paris Peace Talks. President Nixon issued an ultimatum to the North Vietnamese to return to the talks within 72 hours, or face severe measures. On December 18, the United States began Operation Linebacker II, the most massive aerial bombardment ever made of North Vietnam.

December 14
    • Shortly after midnight Eastern Standard Time, American astronaut Eugene Cernan climbed into the lunar module Challenger, following after Harrison Schmitt, having been the last person to have set foot on the moon; the scheduled end of the Apollo 17 moonwalk had been 0433 GMT (11:33 pm December 13 EST). At 2255 GMT (5:55 pm EST), the cabin of the Challenger lunar module lifted off from the surface of the Moon with Cernan and Schmitt, to return to lunar orbit.
    • Ringo Starr attends the world premiere of Born to Boogie at the Oscar 1 Cinema, London.

December 15
    • The United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) was created by a 112–0 vote of the UN General Assembly.[36]
    • The Commonwealth of Australia Conciliation and Arbitration Commission issued a decision requiring equal pay for women.

December 16
    • Over 300 civilians— men, women and children— were massacred by Portuguese troops in the east African village of Wiriamu in Mozambique, at that time a colony of Portugal. The murder was made in retaliation for the ambush of a Portuguese Army patrol the day before. At least 328 bodies were buried later, although observers concluded that the number of victims was more than 400. Like Lidice, Wiriamu was razed. Unlike Lidice, Wiriamu was never rebuilt.
    • The Apollo 17 orbiter began its return to Earth, as the America became the last manned spacecraft to orbit the Moon.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Convention '72," The Delegates (8 weeks)

Recent and new on the chart:

"Reelin' and Rockin'," Chuck Berry

(Dec. 2; #27 US; #18 UK)

"Separate Ways," Elvis Presley

(Dec. 2; #20 US; #3 AC; #16 Country)

"Hi, Hi, Hi," Wings

(#10 US; #5 UK as double A-side w/ "C Moon")

"Trouble Man," Marvin Gaye

(#7 US; #4 R&B)

"Last Song," Edward Bear

(#3 US; #1 AC)

And new on the boob tube:
    • M*A*S*H, "Germ Warfare"
    • Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Season 6, episode 13
    • Adam-12, "Hot Spell"
    • All in the Family, "Archie and the Bowling Team"
    • Emergency!, "Helpful"
    • The Mary Tyler Moore Show, "Rhoda Morgenstern: Minneapolis to New York"
    • The Bob Newhart Show, "I Owe It All to You...But Not That Much"

_______

Timeline entries are quoted from the Wiki page for the month and Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles Day by Day, with minor editing as needed.

_______

I don't recall if I could actually see the Moon in the sky that day. I looked up the splashdown time, which was 2-ish p.m. EST. I don't know if that was a typical time, but it jibes with my memory, that it was a weekday afternoon at my grandma's. I was probably curious about a regular show being preempted for coverage.

Mine as well...and it looks like that's just about to turn 50.

20. RJDiogenes

A thousand times yes. Elected officials really should know something about their employer. :rommie:

How did this guy never win the Nobel Prize for diplomacy? :rommie:

Good night, Moon. [​IMG]

I don't even need to say it. :rommie:

Not exactly one of the King's blockbusters.

I have no memory of hearing this on the radio at all. Also not one of Wings' blockbusters.

See above.

This one I remember well, though I haven't heard it in a long time. Good one.

I didn't have a lot of time to look, but it seems like detailed re-entry information is sparse. However, from one mission profile graphic I found, it looks like the capsule did not even make a complete orbit before entering the atmosphere pretty close to where it splashed down, which surprised me-- sucker must have come in hot. :rommie: But in any case, it looks like it probably was never in your field of vision. Can't say for sure, though, because this level of technical detail is way over my head. No pun intended.