The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

55 Years Ago This Week

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "All Cried Out," Dusty Springfield (7 weeks)
    • "I've Got Sand in My Shoes," The Drifters (7 weeks)
    • "Mercy, Mercy," Don Covay & The Goodtimers (10 weeks)
    • "Ride the Wild Surf," Jan & Dean (8 weeks)
    • "When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)," The Beach Boys (10 weeks)
    • "You Must Believe Me," The Impressions (10 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Willow Weep for Me," Chad & Jeremy

(#15 US; #1 AC)

"Any Way You Want It," The Dave Clark Five

(#14 US; #25 UK)

"Sha La La," Manfred Mann

(#12 US; #3 UK)

"The Jerk," The Larks

(#7 US; #1 R&B)

"Come See About Me," The Supremes

(#1 US the weeks of Dec. 19, 1964, and Jan. 16, 1965; #2 R&B; #27 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
    • 12 O'Clock High, "The Hours Before Dawn"

_______

Glad it's not just me...you'd think from some of the YouTube comments that she was doing something brilliant there.

:lol:

In fact, he revealed at the end that he had to fix the minion's sabotage attempt, as the copter never would have gotten off the ground.

That's This. I'd just been routinely checking their online schedule and noticed that the first Emma Peel season of The Avengers was coming up, and was going to record it for eventual revisiting as 55th anniversary business.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I didn't think I knew this, but it is familiar. It's pleasant enough.

Kind of a little rocker there for the Dave Clark Five.

Another pleasant listen.

I guess that's a dance. :rommie:

You don't have to ask me twice. :adore:

Luckily it's still on my lineup (and so presumably still on my Mother's). Your cable provider doesn't seem to like retro channels.

3. RJDiogenes

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  4. The Old Mixer

50 Years Ago This Week

Perfect timing for me! :D
    More on Apollo 12 next week.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Delta Lady," Joe Cocker (6 weeks)
    • "I'll Never Fall in Love Again," Tom Jones (23 weeks total; 16 weeks this run)
    • "I'm Gonna Make You Mine," Lou Christie (12 weeks)
    • "Something in the Air," Thunderclap Newman (10 weeks)
    • "Sugar on Sunday," The Clique (11 weeks)
    • "That's the Way Love Is," Marvin Gaye (12 weeks)

New on the chart:

"One Tin Soldier," The Original Caste

(#34 US)

"Cold Turkey," Plastic Ono Band

(#30 US; #14 UK)

"Jam Up and Jelly Tight," Tommy Roe

(#8 US)

"I Want You Back," The Jackson 5

(#1 US the week of Jan. 31, 1970; #1 R&B; #2 UK; #120 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

And new on the boob tube:
    • Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Season 3, episode 9
    • The Mod Squad, "Confrontation!"
    • That Girl, "Shake Hands and Come Out Acting"
    • Ironside, "The Machismo Bag"
    • Get Smart, "And Baby Makes Four: Part 2"
    • Hogan's Heroes, "The Big Picture"

_______

Indeed.

Similar to earlier hits "Glad All Over" and "Bits and Pieces".

I really dig this one...it has a great "sign o' the British Invasion times" vibe to it.

I wanted to get this one, but the only version available on iTunes appears to be a re-recording.

I'd say these gals are on a roll...as would history.

I tried voice-searching for some This programs, and got no results. Seems to be a typical case of how I lose these channels...the affiliate changes what network they're affiliated with, and the cable company keeps playing the old channel in its new format.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

No, it's possibily likely a changeover from one channel to another-this happend here in Toronto (near Buffalo) with the PBS affiliate WNED when it changed a digital subchannel that featured documentaries to Create TV.

6. RJDiogenes

Same here. I don't know how I even stumbled across it, but it really caught my eye-- the opening sequence looked just like my neighborhood in Dorchester. And then, of course, the Muppets-- I immediately became a Muppet fanatic.

I absolutely love this song. I'm really familiar with the 1973 version by Coven, and I didn't even know there was an earlier version till just now, but this is just as good.

This is one of those cool midnight rockers.

Must be jelly, cause jam don't shake like that.

This always makes me tap my toes-- which is pretty wild for me.

Doesn't really stand out like those, though.

I should say so.

That sucks. You could complain, but they probably have no choice.

A DIY channel? Definitely not a step up.

7. The Old Mixer

_______

55th Anniversary Viewing

_______

The Ed Sullivan Show
    Season 17, episode 6
    Originally aired November 1, 1964
    As represented in The Best of the Ed Sullivan Show

The one bit from this episode shown on Best of has the singer/impressionist doing Judy Garland performing "The Man That Got Away". tv.com indicates that this was part of a larger segment that had her doing various vocalists, singing "Once In A Lifetime," "They Say It's Wonderful," "Where The Boys Are," "A Sweet Old Fashioned Girl," an opera song, and "Happy Days Are Here Again." This video from a 1964 episode of The Hollywood Palace shows her doing most of the same routine, and identifying the singers whom she's imitating.

Also in the original episode according to tv.com:
    _______

12 O'Clock High
    "Decision"
    Originally aired November 6, 1964
    The Vital Target of the Week is a German factory that manufactures precision parts for the gyro-steering system of flying bombs, which in Crowe's book makes it a target worth 100% bomber losses if necessary. There's never a senator in town when the 918th needs one. Savage's "major friend" is Major Jack Temple (Tim O'Connor), who's flying his last mission before he's supposed to be taken off combat duty when he's shot down and taken prisoner...but not before we get a scene back at the base showing us what a good Old Friend of the Week he is with Savage. The German officer in charge of the prisoners, Colonel Hoeptner (John van Dreelen), keeps them on the grounds of the factory to use them as human shields as a stalling tactic to halt the bombing long enough to move the equipment to another location.

The Germans makes sure that Savage knows where Temple and crew are being kept via a propaganda broadcast. Savage waxes nostalgic to Stovall about how he met Temple in a boxing match at West Point, but the mission must go on. While drinking at the Officers Club, a box of dropped darts gives the general the idea to precision bomb the specific building that he needs to hit, so he sends a photo-recon P-38 to get the lay of the land. Temple figures out why the plane is there and has his men, outside in the makeshift exercise yard, line up to point toward the building where they've noticed an unusual amount of activity going on.
    Savage notices the clue and it supports his homework that the building in question is long enough to house the assembly line needed for the parts in question. Crowe agrees to Savage's plan conditionally: Savage will get a 10-minute head start with one bomber to hit the specific building...and if he fails, 100 B-17s will be right behind him to carpet bomb the entire complex.

But the clue was noticed by Hoeptner as well, and he has the equipment moved to a building on the opposite side of the complex just before the bombing run. Fortunately, taking advise from his bombardier (Peter Duryea) about avoiding spreading the bomb load too wide, Savage decides to make two passes. The first pass hits the building they'd been going for, and the prisoners use the distraction caused by the bombing to make a break. While his men escape the grounds, Temple stays behind and drives a fuel truck with an open spigot into the new building; then, as his dying gesture after being shot by Hoeptner, he throws his cigarette lighter into the gasoline--now that's a major friend! Hoeptner, who's standing in the wrong place, goes up in flames; while Savage's bombardier notices the flaming arrow and the general has him hit the new target.

Back at base, Crowe reports that the men who escaped were taken in by French Resistance and that Temple has been confirmed dead...which is an awfully convenient amount of information for him to have received so quickly. More reasonably timed intelligence reports later confirm that the second building was the correct target, and that the flying bomb program has been set back four to six months. Savage, who's trying to write a letter to Temple's wife but doesn't know what to say, tells Stovall that he's recommending Temple for the Medal of Honor. The episode closes with a nice moment in which Stovall tells Savage what he should put in the letter, which emphasizes Savage and Temple's friendship.

It's odd seeing Tim O'Connor trying to do a hard-boiled bomber pilot. He still comes off as very aristocratic.

The letter to Temple's wife is dated June 15th, 1942.

_______

I'm familiar with the Original Caste version from it coming up on Sirius, and found it strikingly sign-o-the-timesy enough to dig a little deeper than usual for it. I wasn't familiar with the Coven version, but a common theme in the iTunes and YouTube comments about the song is that a lot of people assume that Coven's is the original. Just listened to it, didn't like it as much...the main difference is that they sped it up a bit, which doesn't suit the song to me.

This is before John and Yoko did primal scream therapy, but we're getting a bit of a preview nonetheless. This song would have been right at home on John's post-therapy, late 1970 album John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band.

Sounds like bubblegum to me.

Michael (pretending to be 9 instead of 11) and his brothers (pretending to have been discovered by Diana Ross) are in the house. We'll be getting a partial performance video of the song when they appear on Sullivan.

ETA: Immediately post-Batman Adam West is paying a visit to Stately Barkley Manor on the September 1968 episode of The Big Valley that Me's showing today.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  8. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I started reading RS back in the early 70's and read it practically religiously through around the mid to late 90's. The album reviews and Random Notes were my fav parts of the mag. I've read tons of RS reviews, and have few illusions about the magazine's various proclivities when it came to reviews.

I'm sure I probably read some of the reviews listed but have no specific recollection of any in particular. To me, it appears that the author of the article is simply railing about reviews he didn't agree with, something we all did. But Wenner wasn't responsible for the reviews, though people he hired, were.

The article might have been a lot better if author had noted which of his 4 categories of reviews applied to which individual review. Instead, we're left to figure it out on our own, unless maybe I missed something.

That many RS reviews were were pretentious, elitist, insulting, focused on irrelevancies, etc was a given. Dave Marsh hated The Knack's first album so much that in his review, he threatened to physically attack Doug Feiger if he ever saw him. Even Wenner knew that some of these guys were full of it. In one issue, Dave Marsh and one of the other critics just ripped an album to shreds in their reviews, really tore it, and the bands apart (it was some really well known artists). In the next issue, Wenner wrote an article rebutting his own critics' reviews and basically telling them they didn't know shit. :lol:

But I think the article missed the real damage done by RS and other rock journalists.

What rock journalists and FM AOR DJ's did starting in the late 70's and beyond, was to separate rock music into these little categories and sub-categories along racial, gender, regional, sexual orientation (though this didn't come till later), lines.

Anyway, if Wenner is dead set against the Monkee's induction into the HoF, I completely understand, though I still don't believe his intervention would be necessary because I don't think the Monkees will ever get nominated. So, long story short, my opinion of Wenner, never all that high, hasn't changed (though I didn't read the entire article).
    Some members of this group lied around the corner from where I lived as a kid. I used to walk by their duplex and hear them harmonizing. Yes, song was about the dance, the jerk, which (the one hit wonder), Larks had nothing to do with inventing.
    I was never a big Supremes fan, but Come See About Me was one of my favorites of theirs. Also, Nothing But Heartaches.
    Classic re-working of a great song.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    J.T.B. likes this.
  9. RJDiogenes

I'm pretty sure I saw this one.

That's a pretty sweet maneuver.

Whoa, that's a whole lot of carpet bombing. That's deep-pile carpet bombing.

I'm glad they used a lighter and not a cigarette. That's one of my pet peeves.

A fitting end for someone who uses POWs as human shields.

Another sweet maneuver, assuming that was a deliberate move by Temple.

I didn't even notice that. Maybe if I listen to them next to each other.

:rommie:

I saw pre-Batman Adam West playing a jackass small-town reporter on a Perry Mason episode yesterday. (Also confirmed that Mom still has This, so we can keep on watching Sea Hunt, which I have become completely enamored of).

10. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing (Part 2)

_______

TGs4e8.jpg
    "Write Is Wrong"
    Originally aired November 6, 1969
    Ann and Donald are attending a party for the third season of The Barry Forbes Show, which Ann has appeared on, and have a chat with the show's producer, Harry Cook (William Schallert), who's interested in having Donald write a script for the show based on the previous week's experience at JFK Airport, which he'd written up for Newsview. Donald agrees on the condition that Ann plays herself.

And it looks like we have a new Ruth Bauman, Alice Borden. Ruthie wants to be in the story, even though she wasn't involved in the situation. In contrast, Mr. Marie threatens to sue if his role with the sandwiches gets in. Even Ann has her input about how Donald is writing the script when she finds out that she's been renamed "Cindy". Ann loves the final product, but the story editor thinks that it stinks, as it doesn't suit the comedy style of the show. It falls to Ann to tell Donald that they're completely rewriting his script, so of course she doesn't. The situation gets worse when the rewritten script not only includes the part about her father hoarding sandwiches (which had been in Donald's story on the incident, though he didn't identify who did the hoarding), but also makes Donald's publisher, Mr. Adams--whom he'd included in the story in a flattering manner--look like a fool.

Donald, Lew, and Mr. Adams (Forrest Compton--definitely not the same publisher that Don confronted during the water cooler incident last season) come to Ann's place to watch the show, and it turns out that Ann sabotaged the set by removing the plug from the cord. Lew fixes the plug, but they find that the show's been preempted by news coverage of another blizzard. Ann never does tell anyone about the script, and when the possibility of the episode being rerun comes up, she says that she'll cross that bridge when she comes to it.

"Oh, Donald" count: 5
    "Oh, Daddy" count: 3

_______

Get Smart
    "And Baby Makes Four: Part 1"
    Originally aired November 7, 1969
    Max is going through the typical TV schtick for expectant fathers. In the teaser, he races up to the front of his apartment, goes in and gets the suitcase, throws it in the car, takes off, then goes back to pick up 99. And that was only a practice run.

While Max and the Chief are poring over a map trying to determine the location of KAOS's current headquarters, Max is looking for shortcuts to the hospital instead. Did they always play up Larabee as being even more clueless than Max? Because I've just started noticing it this season.

Simon's likeability is treated as a superpower...e.g., the waitress leaves herself a tip for him. And I'm not getting anything out of the actor's performance that really sells it. He acts like a sort of unassuming nebbish.

The new KAOS HQ is a sanitarium, where the head doctor / KAOS agent in charge is Kruger (Dana Elcar). Kruger knows who Max and 99 are and figures out that they've come to KAOS's lair by mistake. Our "To Be Continued" drops as Kruger has just drawn a gun behind Max's back (while Max is looking in a mirror) and his nurse is about to give 99 a shot in another room.

The Chief is referred to by name as Harold Clark...have they dropped that name before? I seem to recall a name coming up last season, but that it was supposed to have been a fake one...and that might have been it.

_______

Hogan's Heroes
    "Bombsight"
    Originally aired November 7, 1969
    When Schultz doesn't want any of the prisoners looking outside to see what the Germans are working on, Hogan sends Newkirk outside to make sure that nobody inside is looking out. Burkhalter subsequently tells them a lot of what they need to know about the bombs, which are equipped with special radio-targeting systems, thanks to a bug in a vase of flowers that Hogan put on Klink's desk, but the flowers trigger the general's hay fever, so Klink tosses the vase out the window. Needing to get into the safe for the blueprints of the bombs, Hogan concocts a story of a thief among the prisoners to convince Klink to put Hogan's watch in the safe while Newkirk spies on the combination from outside the window. But when Newkirk takes a crack at the safe, Klink abruptly returns to his office and Newkirk is caught.

Hogan plays up the idea that Newkirk is the barracks thief, and uses follow-up on this issue in an attempt to temporarily swap the plans--which Klink has out for the demonstration of the bombs at Stalag 13 to German brass--so that Newkirk can photograph them, but Newkirk's attempt to develop the film is ruined by Klink checking on him. Finally the prisoners plants radios in various places to cause the bombs to hit off-target during the demonstration, which includes blowing up Burkhalter's staff car...which Klink has to pay for.

I thought that the subminiature espionage camera used by Newkirk looked like an anachronism, but a little Googling revealed that they do go back to the WWII era.

Dis-MISSed!

_______

Adam-12
    "Log 63: Baby"
    Originally aired November 8, 1969
    If there was ever a subplot about Malloy asking the new girl out, there was no sign of it in this edit. I suspect that there may have been some confusion with the Season 5 episode "The Late Baby," which had Tina Sinatra in exactly such a role.

Reed comes in for his watch even though Jean is at the hospital and expecting that afternoon. Mac and Malloy both insist that he should just take the day off, but he plans to keep abreast of her condition and leave early when she's ready to deliver. He's describing in detail what an organized checklist system he's got going on when Mac and Malloy point out that he forgot to put on his socks.

Reed's system starts to go to pieces when he tries calling the hospital from a pay phone and is beside himself to find that they don't have a record of Jean having been checked in. Reed's conversation is interrupted when they get a call for a 390--a drunk in the middle of the road waving his jacket like a matador. They learn that he's celebrating having been given a parcel of land but overturned his car there.

Subsequent calls establish that Jean is at the hospital, but Reed still has trouble getting into direct contact with her. Even the woman on the phone and a gas station proprietor wonder why he didn't just take the day off. Reed's attempts are interrupted again by a call for a 211 suspect fleeing on foot. They catch the young purse snatcher on the grounds of a motel.

Back in the car, Malloy suggests calling in a code six so they can go to the hospital, but they get a call for a 459. A young man in a tree who knows his police codes (Michael Freeman) shows them the busted coin boxes of the apartment complex's washing machines while his offscreen mother has coffee with a neighbor. When Malloy's calling it in via the pay phone in the laundry room, he gets news that the station was called about Jean having gone into delivery. The officers have to wait for the special investigator to arrive, after which they make another run for the hospital, but Malloy has to stop the car suddenly for a young man crossing the street on a bicycle and finds that he's scraped the parked car next to them, so now they have to call AI and find the man who owns the car, whom the boy leads them to. By the time they're done with AI, Mac drives onto the scene and informs Reed that his wife has delivered.

The officers finally make it to the hospital and Reed is taken to Jean's room, where he meets his newborn son. I've seen this episode a couple of times before, but it touched me a little more in 50th anniversary immersive retro birthday week context. Happy 50th birthday, fictional Baby Reed! Our theme week isn't quite over, as we'll be getting the Baby Smart birth next week.

_______

Why else would he open the spigot, drive the fuel truck into the building, and light the gas trail?

Anything in particular about Sea Hunt?

West was definitely trying to get away from his Batman image in his Big Valley appearance. He played what initially appeared to be an upstanding, heroic cavalry officer (saving the Barkley ladies from being accidentally carried into a blasting range by out-of-control horses), who turned out to be a deranged serial killer of allegedly promiscuous women, whom he saw as his mother, who'd run a "boarding house" of ill repute when he was growing up.

11. RJDiogenes

Interesting. Have they ever done a follow-up like that before?

So not exactly playing herself.

Fifteen years later, the episode is released on VHS and Donald murders Ann in a rage-- then sets out to kill everyone else involved with the show.

Geez. Spoilers.

I think pretty much everyone is clueless except 99. And the Chief, to some degree.

You'd think KAOS would have dissected him by now.

According to Wiki, it's just a name he uses with 99's mother, and his real name is Thaddeus.

It's not a stalag, it's a vacation resort.

No HD or video, though.

Nothing can possibly go wrong with that plan when you're a cop.

Jean must have wanted him to be in the delivery room with her. :rommie:

[​IMG]

Just to blow the place up without immolating himself.

The show is just completely nuts. A half-hour adventure, done in semi-documentary style, about a SCUBA diver who has the most bizarre things happen to him. Satellites fall from the sky, foreign agents set up radio-jamming equipment, famous actresses get trapped in sunken cruise ships, old friends try to commit suicide by undersea adventure. And everybody wants to hire him, from insurance investigators to the Coast Guard to the US government (who often use him as a lone operative, in lieu of teams of their own agents). He gets sent all over the world, from California to distant tropical islands, wherever the water is over your head. It's completely insane. :rommie:

Oh, yeah, now that you describe it, I remember seeing it not too long ago. We must have seen the name Adam West and recorded it.

12. The Old Mixer

50th Anniversary Album Spotlight
    (Part 1 of 2)

Abbey Road
    The Beatles
    Released September 26, 1969 (UK); October 1, 1969 (US)
    Chart debut: October 18, 1969
    Chart peak: #1, November 1 through December 20, 1969, and January 3, 10, and 24, 1970
    #14 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
    And now we come to the last album recorded by the Beatles, and the last released prior to the announcement of their breakup. Despite the generally better atmosphere of the Abbey Road sessions compared to those for the White Album or Let It Be, reportedly John suggested at one point that all of his songs be on one side, and all of Paul's on the other. That didn't happen, but John's stronger contributions are certainly of the first side, whereas side 2 will be largely Paul's baby. And as standalone songs on the album go, both were outshone by George's two contributions.

The album opens with one of those stronger John numbers...current rising single and classic rocker "Come Together" (charted Oct. 18, 1969, as "Come Together" / "Something"; #1 US the week of Nov. 29, 1969; #4 UK as double A-side w/ "Something"; #202 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time; #9 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs):

This is followed, naturally enough, by the other side of the single, the gorgeous "Something" (charted separately Oct. 18, 1969; #3 US; #17 AC; #4 UK as double A-side w/ "Come Together"; #273 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time; #6 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs), which represents George at his songwriting peak, outshining any of John or Paul's individual contributions to the album.

Frank Sinatra infamously described it as his favorite Lennon-McCartney composition. More flatteringly to George, he also called it "the greatest love song of the past 50 years".

If there's one disposable song on side one, it would be Paul's first contribution, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," a cheery, playful, upbeat ditty about a serial killer that could be considered this album's "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," in that Paul tried the others' patience by spending endless takes attempting to perfect it.

Something that I just noticed with my 50th anniversary listening to this album is how, deliberately or not, the songs on side one have a sort of artful symmetry to their sequencing: John songs on the ends, Paul songs in the middle, George and Ringo contributions separating them. Paul's second of two contributions to side one is the doo-wop-ish "Oh! Darling" (#67 on on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs):

As I've mentioned previously, early on I mistook "Oh! Darling" for a John track. On that note...
    So it wasn't just me--even John thought that it sounded like a John song!

Next we have Ringo's sole contribution to the album, his second of two solo compositions for the group, and his last recording on a Beatles album, "Octopus's Garden". Although inspired by a yacht trip with Peter Sellers during Ringo's walk-out from the White Album sessions, it echoes one of his best-known prior tracks, "Yellow Submarine," which at this point had recently been the subject of an animated film.

Side one closes with John's other outstanding contribution to the album, the hard-driving "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (#59 on on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs), which at 7:47 is the longest individual track on the album. Inspired by Yoko, the song stylistically taps into the psychedelic rock jamming prevalent in the era, building in intensity--including a distinctive Moog-provided "white noise" effect--to the interrupted climax that is one of the album's two "surprise endings". In this case, the side ends with the song abruptly cutting off.

In the digital age, in which one side of the album continues seamlessly to the other, I find that the gentle intro of Side 2's opening track works quite nicely following that sudden silence.

To be continued with Side 2.

_______

Not in consecutive episodes without it being a formal two-parter, to my recollection.

I forgot the Smarts had twins until I read the summary for this week's episode. Guess I should have been referring to the Smart Babies.

Don't think 99's mother was involved with this instance, though I don't recall now in what context the name came up.

Didn't get the impression that was what he was going for...from the visual, it didn't look likely to happen.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  13. Shaka Zulu

Mistakes aside, I wish that model kit manufacturers would still be making model kits vehicles from TV shows and movies-it'd be great to see kits of vehicles from the MCU, Star Wars, video games, and other media franchises (who wouldn't want to make a Helicarrier kit? Or a model kit of the Milano from GOTG? Or a Aurora-style model kit of Master Chief from Halo?)

14. RJDiogenes

Did he paint a white line down the middle of the studio? :rommie:

I actually don't have any specific memory of hearing "Come Together" at that time (I think my earliest associated memory is probably around 73), but I have very strong memories of "Something." It's one of those songs that can instantly transport me through time and space.

Poor George. The curse of being the Quiet Beatle.

I think this song is hilarious. :rommie:

Ah, okay.

I don't think people have the attention span for model building anymore.

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The version from Coven is the most well-known, given its use in the hit film Billy Jack (Warner Brothers, 1971). There was a time in the early-mid 70s where the Coven version seemed to be played everywhere.

Pass.

Good song, but the family act would have better creative days ahead of them.

x1,000.

Which is why most of those so-called "journalists" (when not ass-sniffing their false music gods of choice) filled their rags with endless articles attempting to trash too many quality acts (solo or group) to list. Their separation was purely subjective as listeners would buy singles & LPS and select any radio station that featured great music. Only the dim-witted shaped their musical tastes strictly by race, gender, etc.

16. The Old Mixer

50th Anniversary Cinematic Special

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice
    Directed by Paul Mazursky
    Starring Natalie Wood, Robert Culp, Elliott Gould, and Dyan Cannon
    Premiered September 17, 1969
    1970 Academy Award Nominee for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Elliott Gould); Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Dyan Cannon); Best Writing, Story and Screenplay Based on Material Not Previously Published or Produced (Paul Mazursky, Larry Tucker); and Best Cinematography (Charles Lang)
    BCTA.jpg

The film opens with Bob & Carol Sanders (Culp & Wood) going to a proto-New Age weekend retreat (in a sweet-ass vintage Jag) where people sunbathe nude, practice yoga (clothed, alas), engage in primal scream therapy (a year ahead of John & Yoko), and have marathon group sessions where they open up emotionally and talk freely about sex. Bob's a documentary filmmaker who's supposed to be there to do research, but the experience has a lasting effect on the couple. After returning from the retreat, they discuss their experience over dinner with friends Ted & Alice Henderson (Gould & Cannon) and kind of push the total openness schtick not only on them, but on the waiter as well!

Some time later, when Bob returns home from a filming trip, he and Carol start to have foreplay when Bob opens up about an affair he just had with an assistant on the shoot. He turns out to be more angry with himself about it than she is with him. She starts asking him for more details and they proceed to make love on the bathroom floor (which conveniently has a nice area rug).

Later Ted & Alice stay after a party at the Sanders house and they pass around a hash pipe. We get the first hints of the couples mixing as they sort of casually pair off while everyone but Alice, who insists that she can't get high, is enjoying the buzz. As the Hendersons are leaving, Carol runs out to give them another goodbye and enthusiastically shares the news about what Bob told her. Alice is so upset about this afterward that it makes her physically ill, and then she gets upset that Ted isn't as upset about it as she is. Back at home, Ted finds himself sexually frustrated because he's very much in the mood and Alice definitely isn't. I found the scene in their bedroom hard to get through...it went on awhile and they were so tense.

Later the couples are at a club and run into Bob's former fling, Susan--who turns out to be Celeste Yarnall! This gets Alice going again so she sees her shrink about it...and at the session accidentally refers to her husband as "Bob". Bob and Ted later have a talk in which Ted confesses to having had a close encounter with another woman that he didn't consummate. Bob's advice: "Look, man, you've got the guilt anyway, don't waste it!" Later Bob's new outlook is put to the test when he comes back early from another work trip and learns that Carol's got a man in their bedroom. He isn't nearly as OK with it at first as she was with his affair, but he explores his feelings about it and chooses to take the openness road, wanting to talk with the man...who's too afraid to come out of the bedroom! Bob eventually just goes in anyway and they have a congenial chat despite Horst's (Horst Ebersberg) obvious discomfort.

The couples subsequently go on a trip to Vegas together and, while drunk in the hotel room, Bob reveals his encounter with Horst to the Hendersons. Alice, who is affected by alcohol, is trying to be understanding about it when Ted reveals to everybody that he just had an encounter with a woman during a trip (which we saw the beginning of in a scene on his plane, where he initially fantasizes about approaching the woman). Alice is upset about this at first, but then she's the one who announces that the quartet should have an orgy. The shoe's on the other foot as Bob and Carol find themselves pretty uncomfortable in the situation, but the ball gets rolling about who's attracted to and would sleep with whom and why/why not...

Bob (to Ted): I let a tennis pro do it, I would let you do it.​

...and eventually they all decide to go ahead with it.

Ted: First we'll have an orgy and then we'll go see Tony Bennett.​

The others wait as Ted nervously preps himself in the bathroom, then they all get in bed together and, after dawdling around a bit, start to engage in foreplay...and then stop, clearly all still uncomfortable with the situation. We next see the foursome out and about, apparently going to and coming from the Tony Bennett show. The last scene, which echoes a scene at the retreat in which people stare into each other's eyes with total honesty, is played as each couple finding affirmation in their love/marriage from the incident. (Jackie DeShannon's "What the World Needs Now Is Love" is played over the scene.)

I was kind of disappointed that they didn't go through with it. Was it a cop-out? I suppose you could say that the characters were staying true to the total openness ideal...they were ultimately uncomfortable with going through with it, so they didn't.

Natalie Wood looks really good here. If I were Bob, I wouldn't be so eager to swap.

_______

No, but he brought a bed into the studio for Yoko after their car accident.

I'm curious to read your opinion of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," given its limited lyrics.

As opposed to "Fail"?

J.T.B. likes this.
  17. TREK_GOD_1

Mazursky and Tucker co-wrote the pilot of The Monkees.

Culp wasted no time trying to shed his I Spy image (the TV series aired its last episode in April of 1968) by accepting a part like this, but it was not the career shift he (arguably) wanted it to be.

Heh. "Pass" as in passing on that song.

18. TREK_GOD_1

He was occasionally childish enough to consider something like that, but that did not happen...

He had the media's ear. If he wanted to set the record straight, he could have overnight. By this time, Harrison was so estranged from the others that he had nothing to lose in terms of group dynamic if he opened his mouth. The same applies to the then-frustrated members of the Rolling Stones who did not receive the credit they deserved (by this time in history, I'm talking about Watts and Wyman).

Not in the numbers of the 60s or 70s, where certain kits were wildly popular (AMT's Star Trek line, or Aurora's TV Batmobile, for a couple of examples). Kind of sad, considering the kind of skills model building teaches.

19. TREK_GOD_1

Kits are still produced, but the business model has changed drastically, leaving all but a few traditional brick and mortar stores in favor of specialty stores (what few still exist) and online stores catering to the hardcore builders. The good 'ol days of seeing an entire store aisle stacked with kits of every size/price point and an endcap filled top to bottom with paint, brushes, thinner and modelling tools is a thing of the remote past.

20. Shaka Zulu

Said companies need to really start hard selling licensed kits in specialty magazines (the sci-fi kits could be promoted in sci-fi media mags and online with online ads that would link to Round2Round's website, and the same can be done in mags that cater to kids.) But that's just me.

Which proves that anybody who writes one thing can write another.

Culp would eventually star alongside Cosby in a movie that was like I Spy, but harder edged: Hickey & Boggs.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019