The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. He would have been better off, but she was an enabler of many of his personal demons, instead of working to help him get away from that. That, and she was very possessive. Over the decades, everyone and their uncle have speculated about the idea of a Beatles reunion if Lennon lived, but assuming Ono would have been in the mix, I see the same passive-aggressive walls not coming down so the four could have some civil meeting of the minds.

The Old Mixer likes this.
  2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

There's my disillusionment for the day.

That's the version that I have. Generally, I listen to the cast recording, although I do have the 5th Dimension's version of "Aquarius" and Three Dog Night's "Easy To Be Hard."

I'm sure I've been visualized in worse situations. :rommie:

Hmm, true. Now we just have to figure out how he makes it work on other people....

Well, he's certainly got the voice for a spoken word performance, but he should stick to poetry. The spoken song thing just doesn't work.

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

In fact, I heard an old interview once with Mei Pang, who used to work for the Lennons or Yoko, talking about what she knew about the Beatles during the time after the Beatles break up.

Pang ended up in an affair with John during a period when John and Yoko were separated. She said that during this period, John had been in contact with Paul and it was her impression that the two were "going to get back together" in some form or fashion. But in the interim, John and Yoko got back together and plans to play with Paul again were dropped by Lennon. Pang thought this was directly due to Yoko's influence on John.

Who knows what a John and Paul reunion might have led to, Ringo probably would have been willing to play with them again, but from what I know, George had been pretty put out with both Lennon and McCartney before the band broke up. OTOH, George seemed like the member, potentially, most willing to forgive and forget. Who knows?

Yoko didn't break them up, but she may have been directly responsible for keeping them apart.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

_______

55 Years Ago This Week

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Hey Little Cobra," The Rip Chords (14 weeks)
    • "Talking About My Baby," The Impressions (9 weeks)
    • "Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um," Major Lance (11 weeks)
    • "What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)," The Tams (14 weeks)
    • "What's Easy for Two Is So Hard for One," Mary Wells (17 weeks)

Recent and new on the chart:

"Nadine (Is It You?)," Chuck Berry

(Mar. 7, 1964; #23 US; #7 R&B; #27 UK; Go ahead and say it, RJ--this is the guy who made the '50s sound like the '50s!)

"Roll Over Beethoven," The Beatles

(Canadian import; #68 US; originally a #29 hit for writer Chuck Berry in 1956; Chuck's version is #97 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

Total Beatles songs on the chart: 8

And with two new entries, we now briefly have four Beatles novelty records occupying the chart:

"A Letter to the Beatles," The Four Preps

(#85 US)

"We Love You Beatles," The Carefrees

(#39 US)

_______

What about Oliver's "Good Morning Starshine"? I couldn't find a digital version of it that sounded like the original recording.

Grandma just might have said that she couldn't complain about you, which was the highest compliment she'd ever been known to bestow upon anybody. Unless you wear your hair long, in which case you're a hippie!

Ringo totally would have been up for it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  5. RJDiogenes

Sounds like the 50s. Ahhhhh.

Can I say this one sounds like the 50s? It doesn't, though. The Beatles sound overrides the 50s sound on this one.

Fair use or copyright violation? :rommie: Actually, this one sounds a bit like the 50s, too.

I wonder if any of them were upset about the pecking order.

Ah, you're right. That's a good one and I do have it.

I'm a Hippie. :(

Aw, Ringo had his own Beatles novelty tune. It's pretty sweet, too.

6. The Old Mixer

_______

50 Years Ago This Week

near Spain,
    More to come on the Amsterdam Bed-In next week.

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week, with a Bubbling Under bonus:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Can I Change My Mind," Tyrone Davis (13 weeks)
    • "Crossroads," Cream (8 weeks)
    • "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy to Come By," Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell (7 weeks)
    • "I'm Livin' in Shame," Diana Ross & The Supremes (8 weeks)
    • "Take Care of Your Homework," Johnnie Taylor (9 weeks)
    • "To Susan on the West Coast Waiting," Donovan (6 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Memories," Elvis Presley

(#35 US; #7 AC; #56 Country)

"The Chokin' Kind," Joe Simon

(#13 US; #1 R&B)

"Sweet Cherry Wine," Tommy James & The Shondells

(#7 US)

Bubbling under:

"Albatross," Fleetwood Mac

(#104 US; #1 UK)

And new on the boob tube:
    • The Ed Sullivan Show, Season 21, episode 22, featuring Janis Joplin, Honey Ltd., Ed Ames, The Carals, and Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer, & Boots Randolph
    • The Avengers, "Homicide and Old Lace"
    • Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Season 2, episode 24
    • Adam-12, "Log 172: Boy...the Things You Do for the Job"
    • Get Smart, "The Not-So-Great Escape: Part 1"
    • Hogan's Heroes, "Happy Birthday, Dear Hogan" (season finale)

_______

Ooh, good answer! :techman:

That they were able to get away with using so much of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" no doubt owed to the fact that they were also on Capitol. As for the Capitol execs encouraging such a cynical and spiteful take on their new cash cows...I guess they were of the school that no publicity was bad publicity. Money could be milked from people who didn't like the Beatles, too.

Aren't you in health care? That likely would have compensated.

He's got more where that came from.

If the title seems a little immodest, the song was written for him by John (who can be heard on the track). Also featuring instrumentation by George, Billy Preston, and Klaus Voormann.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  7. RJDiogenes

Easy listening Elvis. It's easy to listen to.

I never heard this one before. Hard to believe this is the guy who co-created Captain America. Hah, just kidding. It's not bad.

Not their best, but pleasant enough. I wonder how many titles there are that invoke some strange wine-- not to mention Ellison's Strange Wine. "Sweet Cherry Wine," "Elderberry Wine," Dandelion Wine....

Use your words!

:rommie:

If there was an Internet, they'd have created anti-Beatles sock puppets to stir things up. :rommie:

Indeed. And I even help the elderly. Whew!

That's practically a reunion right there. That reminds me that George did a song about the Beatles in the early 80s as well: "When We Was Fab."

8. The Old Mixer

Now Elvis, he thinks you're a hippie, and he's gonna have Nixon sic the FBI on you!

It could maybe use a little Jack.

This one was unfamiliar to me when I first got it, despite having been a Top 10 single. Definitely not in the same league as the group's surrounding hits.

Was Squiggy expecting Stevie? In addition to being a big hit in Britain, this single from the early Peter Green / Blues Rock incarnation of the band was the inspiration for the number "Sun King" on the second side of Abbey Road.

In fact, 1973's Ringo album was the closest thing we got to a full Beatle reunion...all four were on the album, though they didn't all appear together on any one track.
    "Sounds like the early '80s"? That was from 1987's Cloud Nine album, and Ringo was also on it, and in the video:

As was Jeff Lynne, who produced the album. And note the bit with the left-handed bassist in a Magical Mystery Tour-style walrus costume--a nod to Paul.

Some 50th anniversary comics business from The Incredible Hulk #115 ("Lo, the Leader Lives"), cover date May 1969...the Rosses are trying to locate Rick Jones (who was then doing a stint as Bucky in Steranko's brief run on Captain America), and they get ahold of...the Avengers' cleaning lady?
    Hulk115.jpg
    How could the Avengers tell her anything, when she never appeared in their book? Some things they might have said:
    "Who are you, and what have you done with Jarvis!?!"
    "Jarvis!?! Why are you...? Maybe we should have called before we came back...!"

Also, another bit of Moon Fever business, from Adventure Comics #380, same cover date--the last issue of the Legion's classic '60s run in that title: As part of a letter column answer to a question about what holidays were celebrated in the future, the editor said:

And a month or two back, in an FF letter column, Stan dropped a reference to Beautiful Downtown Burbank.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  9. RJDiogenes

Well, I'm just gonna have Grace Slick slip them both some LSD. That should enlighten them.

You can never have too much Jack.

I knew that Fleetwood Mac had been around since the 60s and that Stevie didn't join until the 70s, but it was still kind of jarring to see that name in this context.

Aw, that's too bad. It's really a shame that the boys never reunited, even for just one song.

That late? Associational memories failed me on that one.

I'm surprised Steve Englehart or Kurt Busiek never extrapolated that into a cosmic epic. :rommie:

I've always thought that Apollo Day should be a global holiday celebrating peace for all mankind. Maybe it will be someday.

10. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing
    (Part 1)

_______

The Ed Sullivan Show
    Season 21, episode 21
    Originally aired March 9, 1969
    As represented in The Best of the Ed Sullivan Show

Ed seems very proud of himself that he got all that straight. Jeannie does a really brief bit of her hit song from last year, followed by an introduction to her new single, which she's sensibly here to promote....
    The new song, "There Never Was a Time" (charts May 29, 1969; #77 US; #5 Country), looks back fondly on a life of poverty in rural America, with the refrain "but there never was a time we didn't love". It's a nice sentiment, but I can see why it wasn't a crossover success. I couldn't find a clip of the performance, but here's the studio recording:

Also in the original episode according to tv.com:

_______

Mission: Impossible
    "The Bunker: Part 2"
    Originally aired March 9, 1969
    After the Customary Long-Ass Recap, Willy makes it up the chimney with Mrs. R--no, that's not supposed to be a crude metaphor--then covers her with a tarp and resumes his Undercover Painter role. Meanwhile, Fake Mrs. R (Cin), is brought to the Titular Secure Underground Facility so that Col. Z can threaten her in front of her Not Husband. Major Jim intervenes, suggesting that she be allowed to visit with Dr. R. He realizes she's not his wife instantly, but she manages to keep him from spilling the beans while whispering instructions to him in her normal voice.

Back From a Hard Day of Pretending to Paint Willy takes Real Mrs. R into the back of Barney's van--no, still not trying to suggest anything--and Barney puts his Remote Control UFO--having just been loaded with a freshly mixed hypodermic by Major Jim--into action, tracking its progress via lights on vertical and horizontal maps of the complex, as demonstrated in last week's briefing. I could say something about how Mrs. R watches with intense interest as he demonstrates his skill in navigating shafts despite some performance issues, but that might be pushing it. Anyway, the UFO gets to Dr. R with its payload, which includes an instruction note telling him to inject himself with it and that it will simulate the symptoms of a heart attack. Y'know, it's a good thing that Jim and Cin aren't the Rival Power assassins, because he'd be a goner. He follows the instructions, and this is where Rollin's briefly established heart surgeon cover comes into the picture.

But Fake Captain Praedo--who really is Rival Power Assassin, for those who missed the Customary Long-Ass Recap--gets Dr. Rollin alone, knocks him out, and once again we're treated to the novelty of somebody else disguising himself as Rollin. Extra-Fake Dr. Rollin returns to Dr. Rojak (gotta switch to his full surname now) and silently starts to prepare a hypodermic. Major Jim takes him aside to ask him why he isn't on script, and we get treated to a VERY nifty "unforeseen kink in the plan" moment when both simultaneously realize that the other isn't who he appears to be. A struggle ensues, Major Jim starts to pull off Ventlos's Rollin mask, and Ventlos shoots his way to the control panel bearing the winner of the Least Convincing Gellerese Signage Award:

FÜEL MIX
    DÄNJER

Ventlos is taken down, but not before he's changed the setting to Blow Up Real Good in Minutes...which is just fine, as we have less than 10 left at this point. Titular Secure Underground Facility evacuation commences, and the IMF team members--including a conveniently revived Real Fake Dr. Rollin--make off with Dr. Rojak in the confusion, aided by Major Jim performing a TV Fu Chop on Col. Z--a move that this show doesn't lean on as much as some. After a tensely slow elevator ride, they make it to GRUND LEVÜL and escape from Titular Secure Underground Facility in the nick of time...leaving Col. Z and Whiny Enemy Power Scientist Who Was Desperate for Rojak's Respect and Wasn't Really Worth Mentioning Until Now (George Sperdakos) to their fiery, explosive deaths. Dr. and Mrs. Rojak are reunited in the back of Willy and Barney's ambulance van.

This two-parter was the show in good form. It didn't feel too padded, and the second part in particular moved along with a pretty good pace. It could have been trimmed down to a single episode, but the Ventlos angle likely would have been the first thing they dropped, and that turned out to be the best part!

_______

The Avengers
    "Pandora"
    Originally aired March 10, 1969 (US); April 30, 1969 (UK)
    The two brothers are actually the elderly spy's nephews, and one of them, Rupert, is Julian Glover. The other brother, Henry (James Cossins), turns out to be the Controller in charge of the agency's files. These guys had an obsession with 54 years ago...I can relate to that. They're drugging Tara, but she seems to be playing along after a point--though there's never a big reveal moment in this area--keeping enough of her wits to investigate the situation a bit. It turns out that they're keeping the old man upstairs, and passing Tara off as his old fiancee is a ruse to trick him into telling them where the original Pandora's immense dowry is. When the old man reveals that it's hidden behind his portrait of Pandora and Rupert doesn't find anything obvious immediately, he destroys the portrait, only to learn that the treasure was a priceless Rembrandt concealed by the portrait.

Mother objects to being dragged from his "headquarters" (as if he had just one) to meet Steed at Tara's apartment following her abduction. Later when he goes to Steed's apartment, Steed asks, "What's happened, the balloon's sprung a leak?" At one point the bad guys burn up Tara's car with a female skeleton inside. Mother falls for it, showing how much he and his people know about forensics.

_______

Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
    Season 2, episode 23
    Originally aired March 10, 1969
    Unintentionally on-the-nose News from 1989:
    The Mod, Mod World of Senior Citizens:

Note an allusion to "When I'm Sixty-Four" in the song.

I wasn't able to find much in the way of clips for this episode, but I stumbled across the News segment from the Feb. 10 episode with Davy Jones:

And that's why I have so much trouble finding these things sometimes. They named the entire segment after one brief gag in it.

_______

Years back I saw a page of his most bizarre creations, largely really weird, obscure stuff from his later years, that would make an argument against that. I wasn't able to dig up a definite match--there are similar pages out there, but the ones I found tended to focus more on his major Marvel/DC contributions than the one I recall seeing.

Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are there...that's where the name comes from. Fun fact about Peter Green-era Mac...they originally recorded "Black Magic Woman," which was written by Green...the song that became one of Santana's signature hits.

Unless you count "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" from 15 years after John died.

Now there's a huge-ass Beatles novelty video for you--When it first came out, the people on the Beatles subforum I was hanging out on were poring over it, finding boatloads of visual song references. Good times.

How about a month-long religious cycle between Apollo 11 and Woodstock?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

#6. Time of the Season - The Zombies. I LOVED this band. I thought that only the Beatles and maybe The Hollies, wrote a comparable number of great pure pop songs. They actually continued to write great songs into the 2000's.

3. "My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)," David Ruffin - This is testament to the fact that crack doesn't always take away a person's ability to sing. Ruffin's sounded even better on this track than he did with the Temps.
    Never realized how much Tommy James looked like Jay Leno. :)

12. RJDiogenes

Yeah, that's very nice, but very Country.

Ah, I love Creedence. :bolian:

The most erotic episode of Mission: Impossible ever!

So we get to see Phelps versus Rollin? Nice! :D

Well, these people must build up a resistance to brainwashing drugs after a while. :rommie:

Ouch. Everybody loses in this one.

At least they know the difference between boy and girl skeletons.

Yeah, he did fade a bit as he got older, but I like to focus on the primal essence of Jack.

Yeah, that's great, because John is a big part of it, so it does kind of count. I wonder if it would have happened if John was alive, though.

There's a world I want to live in.

Wow, that's pretty amazing.

13. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Viewing
    (Part 2)

_______

Ironside
    "Puzzlelock"
    Originally aired March 13, 1969
    So I guess this would be the Columbo formula before Columbo. We're in on Grayson (Simon Oakland) being the murderer from the get-go, and see him carefully establishing his alibi via taped responses from his wife to play over his house's intercom for the servants while she lay dead. He then breaks into the bedroom himself from the outside and steals jewelry that he'd laid out for himself already...all while everybody thinks he's already out having dinner with--who else?--Ironside, who takes the call informing Grayson of Frida's murder.

Ironside quickly smells a rat and he and Ed spot clues that things happened in a way other than they were meant to appear. The main difference here from what I've seen of Columbo is that the team discussing the case gives us clear exposition as to what they know and when they know it, whereas Columbo's methodology keeps the audience guessing.

Upon being questioned by the Chief, Grayson insists that the motive was the jewelry, and Ironside should trace it to find the thief/killer. In his most un-Columbo-like manner, Ironside loudly proclaims that he doesn't buy it back at the Cave. But the Graysons' nephew Paul (Dennis Cooney) is also a suspect, so they pursue that angle. Contrary to the Wiki description, Paul becoming the chief suspect seems to be an unintended complication for Grayson, but Ironside makes it look like he has an ironclad case against him. Something that I wasn't clear on was whether Ironside thought of Paul as a legitimate suspect, or was only pursuing that angle to make Grayson careless. Regardless of the intent, that was the result--In an act of desperation, Grayson goes to retrieve the jewelry from where he'd hidden it (though I'm also not clear as to exactly what he planned to do with it), and the Ironsidemobile pulls up as he's about to leave. Caught red-handed, Grayson offers that Ironside had almost made him believe that he hadn't done it.

_______

Star Trek
    "All Our Yesterdays"
    Originally aired March 14, 1969
    Stardate 5943.7

See my post here.

_______

Adam-12
    "Log 12: He Was Trying to Kill Me"
    Originally aired March 15, 1969
    The episode opens with the officers already responding to the call, made by a young lady neighbor in a skimpy robe (Conny Van Dyke). The 6-year-old, Charlie (Dawn Lyn), answers the door, and the officers are at their gentlest trying to coax information out of her. They get that her mom works, her dad doesn't live with them anymore, that her mom's name is Jeanette and she sure is pretty (as she shows them a professional photo of her), and that her mom doesn't think she's pretty. Then she shows them her baby sibling in the bathtub, for whom she's clearly playing parent (and to that end has been stealing milk from the neighbor). The officers call in a photographer and juvenile officers. Meanwhile, a youthful boyfriend of Jeanette's whom Charlie calls "Daddy," Philip Bartell (Hampton Fancer), drops by, and they wind up arresting him when they find he has traffic warrants.

Back at the station, the officers learn that Charlie is covered with welts and scars from beatings from "Daddy". Bartell insists that it was her actual father. They return to the apartment to find that Jeanette (Bambi Allen) has returned and is being beaten by Mr. Phelps (Jim Driskill), who expresses his protectiveness of Charlie and insists that it's Jeanette who's been beating Charlie, which Jeanette pretty much confesses to with her reaction. When they question her, Mrs. Phelps seems not quite all there and demonstrates a childlike obsession with her own beauty.

Back at the station again, Reed vents his anger at the situation....

Reed: Three people, all supposed to be grown adults, and not one of 'em gives a damn about a six-year-old child and a ten-month-old baby! Not one of 'em! Well?
    Malloy: You just said it all, partner.​

The episode ends on the note that Social Services will try to find the children a good home, and on why Charlie lied about who beat her....

Malloy: It's funny, isn't it? She loved her mother.​

Another one-call episode, and definitely one that tugs at the heartstrings. Oddly, it's named after something that Jeanette says after the officers save her from her husband, which isn't exactly the dramatic center of the story.

_______

Get Smart
    "Greer Window"
    And the Greer in charge of Greer Industries is none other than Barney Phillips, formerly Doc Kaiser on 12 O'Clock High (and before that, a three-eyed Venusian flipping burgers in a diner).

When the Chief is demonstrating the gadgets in Max's uneven crutches, he takes the second one without replacing the first, causing Max to fall down backwards.

In the climax, when Greer goes to the Smart apartment to shoot Max at the same time that his secretary (Lynn Borden) shoots 99 so they can watch each other die, Max uses his crutch gun to get Greer in the rear.

_______

Hogan's Heroes
    "The Return of Major Bonacelli"
    Actually, word of Bonacelli's (Vito Scotti) cover as an Italian POW camp commander having been blown hasn't gotten to Stalag 13, so when the men smuggle him into the camp as a refugee, Hogan has him go back out the tunnel and come in through the gate as a legitimate visitor, seeing an opportunity to use the Major to get intel that Goldilocks wants on some new German AA guns. It's during this operation that Bonacelli has to suffer the German cuisine (LeBeau having initially been quite accommodating in making him pizza, which Schultz smelled from three miles away). While Bonacelli is out with Klink, Hochstetter brings news of his true nature to Stalag 13...so Hogan and his men have to get into town ahead of the SS and help Bonacelli escape. An attempt to pass a note to him hidden in his plate of food at a restaurant is complicated when Bonacelli first wants to return the plate, then starts to trade plates with Klink.

DISSS-missed!

_______

I read that he took this song with him when he left the Temptations, and it sounds like it...it's decent, but has the same sound as their other singles in the underwhelming period in-between better periods that they'd been suffering prior to Ruffin leaving and the Temptations changing their sound.

With the big, puffy hair he kinda did. Not so much in later years with the stringy, balding look.

Well, Phelps vs. the guy wearing Rollin's face.

No actual Rembrandts were harmed in the making of this episode.

If it had, he could have given them something that wasn't recorded in the bathroom.

14. RJDiogenes

Kind of an odd title for Ironside.

I remember seeing this episode in re-runs on Channel 56 when I was nine or ten and it really depressed me and creeped me out. Then I ended up seeing quite a bit more of it in real life. Real adults are pretty rare animals, and possibly in danger of extinction.

I remember this one, too. The opening sequence, when Max goes down, was kind of alarming.

Yeah, but still, the imagery. I'm picturing them grappling on the cover of a Marvel comic. :rommie:

That sure would have busted the budget.

Well, I'm not sure about John Lennon, but I sure sound better in the bathroom.

15. The Old Mixer

As if.

While it certainly would have fallen from "priceless," I have to imagine that even a taped-up Rembrandt would be worth something to somebody.

16. RJDiogenes

Well, to ten-year-old me. :rommie:

Indeed. Especially the people hired to restore it. :rommie:

17. The Old Mixer

_______

55 Years Ago This Week

Leaving the chart:
    • "Abigail Beecher," Freddy Cannon (8 weeks)
    • "Bird Dance Beat," The Trashmen (7 weeks)
    • "The Boy with the Beatle Hair," The Swans (4 weeks)
    • "My Bonnie," The Beatles w/ Tony Sheridan (6 weeks)
    • "My Boyfriend Got a Beatle Haircut," Donna Lynn (4 weeks)
    • "You Don't Own Me," Lesley Gore (13 weeks)

New on the chart:

"All My Loving," The Beatles
    (Canadian import; #45 US)

"Wish Someone Would Care," Irma Thomas

(#17 US; #2 R&B)

"That's the Way Boys Are," Lesley Gore

(#12 US)

"Do You Want to Know a Secret," The Beatles

(#2 US)

"Can't Buy Me Love," The Beatles

(#1 US the weeks of Apr. 4 through May 2, 1964; #1 UK; #289 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

Total Beatles songs on the chart: 10

• Petticoat Junction, "The Ladybugs"

Next week: The Beatles make chart history (ooh, shocker).

_______

Neglected to hit this one.
    Well, they didn't know to call it "Oh, Just One More Thing...".

18. RJDiogenes

Kinda forgettable.

Well, those two deserve each other. :rommie:

That distinctive Beatles quirkiness emerges.

Also good.

At least they're not the entire Top 10. :rommie:

I thought Ironside had a psychic friend.

19. The Old Mixer

_______

50 Years Ago This Week

And if you were expecting a singalong, that's the Montreal Bed-In, coming up in a couple of months.

Also on March 28, they preempted the series finale of Star Trek for coverage of this breaking news:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Give It Up or Turnit a Loose," James Brown (9 weeks)
    • "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man," Bob Seger System (14 weeks)
    • "Touch Me," The Doors (13 weeks)
    • "You Showed Me," The Turtles (12 weeks)

New on the chart:

"Good Times Bad Times," Led Zeppelin
    (#80 US)

"Wishful Sinful," The Doors

(#44 US)

"Mercy," Ohio Express

(#30 US)

"My Way," Frank Sinatra

(#27 US; #2 AC; #5 UK)

• The Ed Sullivan Show, Season 21, episode 23, featuring Mason Williams, Pompoff & Thedy, Joyce Cuoco, and Sly & The Family Stone
    • Mission: Impossible, "Nitro"
    • The Avengers, "Thingumajig"
    • Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Season 2, episode 25
    • The Mod Squad, "Keep the Faith, Baby"
    • Ironside, "The Tormentor"
    • Adam-12, "Log 92: Tell Him He Pushed Back a Little Too Hard"
    • Get Smart, "The Not-So-Great Escape: Part 2" (season finale)

_______

Yeah, not feelin' it for this one yet.

If you mean the narrator and her boy, yeah...it's kind of a peppier "Stand by Your Man". Of course, we've since learned that Lesley likely would have had a different perspective on such things than the persona she was projecting through her songs.

And on their very first British album! Which was recorded in twenty minutes...or something like that.

This one has a few noteworthy bits of business:
    • Their first all-new single to be released while Beatlemania was in progress in the US, and only their second single released on Capitol in the US.
    • The song that will be at the top on next week's historic Billboard chart.
    • The first sequence for it in the film A Hard Day's Night is classic and arguably iconic.

You tease me, sir!

Something worth mentioning in larger British Invasion business: the Dave Clark Five made their first two of eighteen appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show on March 8 and 15 (not represented in Best of).

Who was possibly brought to us by the same writers who came up with the title....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  20. RJDiogenes

I'm generally not a big Led Zep fan, as I think I've mentioned, but I like this one.

Er... while I acknowledge the superiority of Jim Morrison and The Doors, my musical taste is not sophisticated enough to appreciate this.

That's what I was saying about halfway through.

My dislike for Frank Sinatra goes way beyond his lack of talent, but this is a great song when done by somebody else.

Good to hear. I don't know that much about her.

People didn't waste time in those days!

Wow. Somewhere there must be a list of Sullivan guests ordered by number of appearances. That should be interesting.

:rommie: