The Classic/Retro Pop Culture Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Old Mixer, Jan 11, 2016.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Ed Sullivan Show: Anything can happen and it usually does.

That's a whole lotta Tiny Tim. I guess I never caught this episode when I was recording them.

The perks of being a presidential advisor. Unfortunately, being at that meeting made it a lot harder for the secretary to disavow all knowledge during the hearings when everything was later exposed by Bob Woodward.

I'm having a real hard time picturing that. :rommie:

Vacation? Movie part? Contract dispute?

It's good to be the King.

I question this business model.

I like it when they get away with no murder.

IMDB needs to get better intel.

I am outraged and offended by the negative representation of Hippie Culture on this show.

Spin off!

Yeah, they did a couple of nice trippy things around this time.

Research indicates that he may be Oliver $ (Dollar), a German record producer. Apparently Music Choice lets the Millennial intern do the image searches. :rommie:

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

_______

50th Anniversary Event Viewing Special

Singer Presents...Elvis (a.k.a. the '68 Comeback Special)
    Originally aired December 3, 1968
    The original broadcast was an hour, or about 50 minutes without the commercials. The version that I rented on iTunes clocked in at 1 hr, 14 mins., so some of it is obviously expanded material. But I'll review what I was able to watch...and yes, it seems that the Elvis VEVO at this point has individual clips of every performance in the special, leaving out only some transitional bits from between numbers.

Opening the special is a production number based on a "Trouble/Guitar Man" medley:

Love the pan out to reveal that Elvis is standing within his giant, red-lit name. Intentional or not, one could read some symbolism in that...the man is dwarfed by his legend.

After a hard edit (likely the location of the first commercial, though the rental version at least has more hard edits than there would have been commercial breaks), we proceed to the special's first "sit-down" performance...appropriately enough, of the song that served as Elvis's first single in 1954, "That's All Right".

Another hard edit separates this from a second sit-down performance, of "Baby What You Want Me to Do". I got good laughs when he interrupted the song to start poking fun at his trademark sneer (which comes up again later).
    There are two versions of the song in the home video version, making me think that one of them is added. I suspect that it was this one, given the brevity of the actual performance and the hard edits surrounding it.

The first stand-up performance is a medley consisting of three very familiar early smashes, "Heartbreak Hotel," "Hound Dog," and "All Shook Up". The arrangement definitely gets a bit Vegas lounge here. I found that I liked the sit-down performances a lot better because they were both more intimate and more faithful, given their simple, acoustic arrangements. Whereas the stand-up numbers are generally overproduced. In the complete special, there's a pretty large ovation between that and the next number, which are the first two consecutive performances not separated by a hard edit. The unnecessary rearrangement of "Can't Help Falling in Love" sounds a bit schmaltzy.

Another hard edit separate that from the next stand-up number, "Jailhouse Rock," which features a more enjoyably faithful arrangement. This segues without interruption into another stand-up performance of an early hit, "Don't Be Cruel". To my mild annoyance, it's a bit overarranged, distracting from the faithful core performance. We proceed uninterrupted into the next two numbers, "Blue Suede Shoes" and "Love Me Tender":

Note how Elvis has a little fun with the lyrics. Again they take some liberty with the arrangement, but in this case maybe it works, because I found myself getting unexpectedly misty-eyed in the middle.

The hard edit following this string of uninterrupted performances was likely an original commercial break spot. After a presumed word from our sponsor, we come back to more stand-up and a fuller version of "Baby What You Want Me to Do" with a long guitar intro.

A spoken intro filmed at a sit-down session, which includes an obligatory nod to the Beatles (all indications are that Elvis couldn't stand them), precedes another unique production piece, a medley of "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child," "Where Could I Go," "Up Above My Head," and "Saved" that uses dancers and a group of singers whom the credits would indicate are the Blossoms, consisting of Fanita James, Jean King, and Darlene Love:

There's your gospel, RJ! I think that this one has to have been in the original, both for the trouble put into it and for the intro tacked onto it, which they likely wouldn't have bothered with for restored footage.

A hard edit takes us into another sit-down number, "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy":

When looking up information about the special, I caught multiple references to this particular performance, suggesting that it's one of the more highly regarded ones. According to the closed captioning, he's singing "Tornell Darlin'" rather than "little darlin'"...the delivery of the line and post-song chatter gives me the impression that there was probably a story behind that bit of business that got cut.

The VEVO clips leave out a seamless segue that includes Elvis complaining about how hot his leather outfit is before proceeding into "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" This is where he brings up the sneer again. He also briefly mocks the spoken bridge from the original recording. This performance highlights the contrast between the acoustic sit-downs and the stand-up arrangements. This song easily could have been overdone in the other format. Instead, it gets a much more intimate spotlight.

A hard edit leads into another sitdown number, "Trying To Get To You". He really wails in this one. The next hard edit leads to a number that I know wasn't in the original broadcast, "Tiger Man". I read that this one was inserted into the rerun broadcast in place of "Blue Christmas," which alas isn't in the home video version. Instead, "Tiger Man" segues straight into the next song, "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again," with a brief bit of fun in-between (not included in the VEVO clips) of Elvis doing a couple of impromptu lines from "MacArthur Park".

A hard edit leads to the previously-posted performance of "One Night"...and the full home video version indicates that there's nothing missing in that clip, it actually opens just like that, though it seems clear that we're catching a performance already in progress. Technically this is one of the sit-down performances, though Elvis opts to stand up for it. This seamlessly blends into a performance of a new song that will be his next charting single, "Memories":

A beautiful song that already hit the buttons for me...the performance here of Elvis sitting on the edge of the stage surrounded by audience members really put it over the top, getting me choked up at one point.

Hard edit to another production-piece medley, this one clocking in at nearly 13 minutes. Referred to on the VEVO as "Guitar Man Production Number," it consists of segments of that song interspersed with various others, including "Nothingville," "Let Yourself Go," "Big Boss Man," "Little Egypt," and "Trouble". Apparently this one wasn't in the broadcast version, as I'd read that a production number involving a bordello scene was filmed but cut. There's also the redundancy with the broadcast intro's use of "Trouble" and "Guitar Man"; and the length of this segment would account for a good part of the running time difference between the original broadcast and the home video. Other interesting elements include how the dance number after "Big Boss Man" seems martial arts-inspired--Kung Fu Mania was still a few years ahead of us here--and the performance of "Trouble" transitioning from the set production into a stand-up leather suit performance that continues into the final "Guitar Man" segment. Overall, this production is definitely the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a music/variety special of the day, apart from going into territory that offended either the censors or the sponsors, I forget which.

All that's left is the previously posted iconic performance of Elvis's then-new single, "If I Can Dream"...which is all the more powerful in its proper place as the special's finale.

In the home video version, at least, the expanded credits play a longer performance of "Guitar Man" with Elvis standing inside the letters. An odd bit of business--the credits include performances by Andy Williams ("Downtown") and Phyllis Diller (a medley of various songs including "I Get a Kick Out of You" and "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair"). Were these in the original broadcast version, giving viewers even less Elvis material?

Anyway, I'm definitely glad that I took the opportunity to absorb the home video of this piece of history in its entirety.

_______

I left out that Barney used gas to put out the person in the back seat so that he could poke out of the compartment and do the switcheroo. There were scenes of people trying to open a pre-existing compartment there, so maybe it was some extra-big bit of luxury limo business that the IMF repurposed.

As with the previous Tara-centric episode, he was in it, but not featured prominently in the story.

Wiki.

Really? I think it's kinda cute.

Get Happy? Smart Days?

And I didn't get any good Google results until I spelled out the last name...then I found that it certainly was him...other iterations of the same picture popped up. Never hoid o' him.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    J.T.B. likes this.
  3. RJDiogenes

That seems a little short for those days. I would have guessed closer to 55.

Dwarfed and swallowed and eaten alive.

Yep, Elvis loved his gospel and released a bunch of gospel records (of which my Uncle owned at least one). Kinda weird, and not my favorite aspect of the King, that's for sure.

They could have put the "Saved" Gospel number right after it to pacify the Morality Watchdogs. :rommie:

Wow, that's really odd. Maybe at one point it was intended to be a variety special, but they made it all Elvis, and were contractually obligated to include the guests in the credits?

Gotta keep the spare chauffeur somewhere, I suppose.

Er... Wiki needs better intel.

Well, I was just mocking the Culture of Outrage, but this is a Jack Webb show, so it does come down kind of hard on the counterculture.

Me neither, until I researched that picture.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the standouts from the third season, and this deep into tis run, we were still treated to more building on the friendships of the Big Three.

5. The Old Mixer

_______

55 Years Ago Spotlight

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Fools Rush In," Rick Nelson (13 weeks)
    • "I Adore Him," The Angels (7 weeks)
    • "Saturday Night," The New Christy Minstrels (7 weeks)

Recent and new on the chart:

"Drag City," Jan & Dean

(Dec. 7; #10 US)

"Pretty Paper," Roy Orbison

(#15 US; #10 AC)

"As Usual," Brenda Lee

(#12 US; #5 AC)

"What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)," The Tams

(#9 US; #1 R&B)

"Hey Little Cobra," The Rip Chords

(#4 US)

_______

51st Anniversary Viewing

The Wild Wild West
    "The Night of the Iron Fist"
    Originally aired December 8, 1967
    "Locomotive aficionados"? It's only a set. :p

Count Draja (none other than Mark Lenard) literally has a metal right hand, and he's pretty...er...handy with it. They put Artie dressed as the Count on the train in the teaser as a decoy. Meanwhile, Jim and the real Count are smuggled out in a wagon-driven freight box.

Some men take over the train to rescue Fake Draja, who fake shoots his guards (It's still gotta hurt getting tossed out of the train like a dead body.), then try to persuade Fake Draja to share the gold with them. Draja's old flame Countess Zorana (Lisa Pera) is brought aboard, but she goes along with Artie's deception. Together they sew the seeds of appealing to the crooks' greed to turn them against each other.

Meanwhile, Jim and Real Draja have some trouble with the Garrisons, belligerent locals whom they run into on their not-so-buddy road trip. At one point Draja gets the drop on Jim after he slips out of his shackle by taking off his hand, which extends up his forearm...but they find themselves having to team up to fend off the Garrisons, who at this point are after the price on Draja's head. But Jim makes it back to the train in time to save Artie from being held at gunpoint by Zorana.

Future Black Sheep co-star Red West plays another small role in this one. And it sounds like Conrad had a cold in some scenes.

_______

Nah, seems about right. I think Trek episodes are around 51 without the commercials.

True!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    J.T.B. likes this.
  6. RJDiogenes

A driving song. Kinda fun. No biggie.

Pleasant. It's hard to find a bad Roy Orbison song.

It's also hard to find a bad Brenda Lee song.

I never heard this before, but it's pretty nice.

Jan & Dan wannabes. :rommie:

And it doesn't even look like a train interior. :rommie:

Sweet. :D

These men are highly trained dead body impersonators.

Hmm, I thought they were a bit longer. About ten minutes longer than now, though, so that's probably right.

7. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's interesting, I thought he'd just be doing Elvis stuff back then. Of course, he appeared in a Battlestar Galactica episode with fellow Elvis alumni and '70s-'80s TV heavy Lance LeGault, who can be seen playing guitar in the '68 Comeback Special above.

The Old Mixer likes this.
  8. The Old Mixer

And as with several of Jan & Dean's surf/hot rod rock hits, partly written by Brian Wilson.

Notably, this appears to be the year that Billboard split the Christmas music onto its own chart, so the back catalog songs, at least, aren't showing up like they did last year. I wonder if this one is an exception because it was a new charter, or if it just slipped between the cracks.

I dunno...I find ones like this to be a bit snoozy.

Yeah, fairly obscure, but it is a bit catchy.

More directly Beach Boys wannabes to my ear...this song does more than a little to evoke "Shut Down".

Think he had to give up on the neck pinch, though.

Interesting! That reference sent me to Wiki...didn't know he was Memphis Mafia! The Wiki article does mention that he was doing acting and stuntwork on shows of this era, including WWW. IMDb lists no less than 35 roles on WWW, most uncredited (and probably stuntwork). In fact, the Wiki description of this week's upcoming episode prominently mentions a mishap involving West in a stunt role....
    I'd say that it's a cinch that working with Conrad so much on WWW played a role in landing him his role on Black Sheep.

And according to West's Wiki article, he was also involved in some of Elvis's songwriting, including solo credit for "If Every Day Was Like Christmas":

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. RJDiogenes

Probably. I just love the sound of her voice.

Heh. That made me wonder if Vulcans can do it leftie. Or is that how they wake people up?

Gotta do something while laying around healing. :rommie:

10. The Old Mixer

Not a problem.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

No, it's typical for network prime-time shows of the era. By way of comparison, each episode of Star Trek TOS
    (minus commercials, bumpers and previews of next week's episode) runs 52 minutes.

12. RJDiogenes

Oooh, Vulcans are ambidextrous. :rommie:

Yeah, that makes sense.

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I always thought of Jan and Dean as Beach Boys wannabes. So does that mean The Rip Chords were Beach Boys wannabe wannabes? :)

14. TREK_GOD_1

West was quite a center of controversy when he--along with David Hebler and Sonny West (all fired members of the so-called "Memphis Mafia")--wrote the tell-all book, Elvis: What Happened? which went into great detail about the level of Presley's drug abuse, sex life and other personal matters. Red once claimed he wrote it as a form of intervention for the singer, since all other means of getting him off of drugs failed, and he was surrounded by the rest of his "Mafia" and doctors who were enablers. The book was published in the U.S. just two weeks before Presley's August 16, 1977 death, and eventually became a massive bestseller.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. The Old Mixer

_______

50 Years Ago This Week

Selections from Billboard's Hot 100 for the week:

Leaving the chart:
    • "Quick Joey Small (Run Joey Run)," Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus (11 weeks)
    • "White Room," Cream (11 weeks)

New on the chart:

"California Soul," The 5th Dimension
    (#25 US; #49 R&B)

"Hey Jude," Wilson Pickett
    (#23 US; #13 R&B; #16 UK)

"Ramblin' Gamblin' Man," Bob Seger System

(#17 US)

"I Started a Joke," Bee Gees

(#6 US)

"Can I Change My Mind," Tyrone Davis

(#5 US; #1 R&B)

"Worst That Could Happen," The Brooklyn Bridge

(#3 US)

And new on the boob tube:
    • The Ed Sullivan Show, Season 21, episode 9, featuring Stevie Wonder, the Brooklyn Bridge, Jane Morgan, Anna Maria Alberghettia, and Norm Crosby
    • Mission: Impossible, "The Bargain"
    • The Avengers, "The Rotters"
    • Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, Season 2, episode 12
    • Star Trek, "Elaan of Troyius"
    • Adam-12, "Log 122: Christmas - The Yellow Dump Truck"
    • Get Smart, "Schwartz's Island"
    • Hogan's Heroes, "Will the Real Colonel Klink Please Stand Up Against the Wall?"

_______

I'd say that the derivative one-hit wonders were definitely a further level of dilution down.

16. RJDiogenes

Grand-wannabes?

So... the Beatles and Tiny Tim. This made the covers of Time and Newsweek, I presume.

I love 5th Dimension, but this isn't their best song.

Surprisingly good.

Hey, that's right. Bob Seger started in the 60s. He got better.

60s Bee Gees. Great stuff.

This is okay. I don't think I ever heard it before.

I love this song.

17. The Old Mixer

_______

50th Anniversary Album Spotlight

The Beatles ("The White Album")
    The Beatles
    (Part 3 of 4)

Side 3 opens with an enjoyable rocker of an album track that's become better known than many a hit single of the day:

"Birthday"

(4th most popular download from the White Album on iTunes, and 16th most popular Beatles download overall)

Single-album note: Contrary to John's opinion, a definite keeper.

Speaking of John, for contrast we next find him channeling/satirizing British Blues Rock:

"Yer Blues"

(#76 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs)

It's a powerful song, but...

Single-album note: A definite maybe. It could go if space was needed.

Continuing the Fabs' characteristic artful balance of song material, we then proceed into solo acoustic Paul:

"Mother Nature's Son"

(#80 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs)

This is a very pretty song, but I never really connected with it personally. It's also the subject of an anecdote that attests to the tension in the group during the White Album sessions....
    Single-album note: In the name of a leaner, meaner single disc, I'd be inclined to leave it off given its similarity to the stronger "Blackbird".

Over to John:

"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"

(#73 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs)

The Beatles don't get much heavier than this one (though its main rival for that distinction is only two songs away).

Single-album note: Another definite maybe. It'd like to be in as the hardest-rocking John song on the album, but if it made it, it'd probably be at the expense of "Yer Blues," which I think has a tad more going for it.

"Sexy Sadie" (#93 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs) was written by John as an expression of his disillusionment with the Maharishi. I particularly enjoy the discordant piano.

Single-album note: I'd be inclined to keep this if possible because, in addition to a distinctive sound, it has a story to tell that relates directly to the circumstances under which the album was conceived.

And Paul doesn't get more hard-rockin' than this legendary album track:

"Helter Skelter"

(#52 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs; 9th most popular download from the White Album on iTunes)

Single-album note: Keeper--No ifs, ands, or buts about it!

The side closes with George's moody, ethereal "Long, Long, Long" (#98 on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatles Songs). For me the drum fills in this one always evoked the image of waves crashing on a rocky shoreline.

Single-album note: In the contest for the place of George's second song on the hypothetical album, this one is a strong contender. It certainly contrasts well with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

To be concluded with Side 4....

_______

He really was everywhere that year! Even the Fabs couldn't resist the allure of Timmania.

And it says a a lot about where the group was heading that John was calling out his "beast friends" on the freakin' Christmas record!

Agreed on both counts.

Also agreed. I must be getting soft in my old age...though more likely, its just my expanded musical palate...but he definitely brings something to the song.

A decent enough debut, though his next major hit won't be for another eight years. Will immersive 50th anniversary retro get that far into the '70s? Stay tuned!

Or you're just totally biased. :p

I've definitely heard it on oldies radio. It's good, not great.

Now to me, this sounds like leftover early-'60s leftover '50s business. That said, I did get it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  18. TREK_GOD_1

Oh joy. The Annoying Twins. ..and this after their horrifying "Whole Lotta Yoko" set as part of the originally shelved Rolling Stones' Rock 'n' Roll Circus TV special filmed one week earlier on December 11--

Yikes.
    ...a group that never gets enough credit for their revolutionary career changes over the course of a single decade's worth of time.

This always sounded so out of place for the end of 1968. It would have been at home--with ease--in the 1950s.

• December 22, 1968 - I'm giving a nod to one of Land of the Giants' best episodes: "The Weird World", which featured Glenn Corbett as bitter, crazed earthling Major Kagan--yet another lost spaceman role for Corbett (after portraying Star Trek's Zephram Cochrane in "Metamorphosis" in November of 1967). The episode's tone and cinematography is noticeably dark, which makes sense, as it was the first regular production episode filmed after the moody pilot. In fact, this episode's teaser of Barry Lockridge finding Kagan's tape recorder was originally the tag for the pilot, creating a seamless move from one one episode into another. Despite the fact it was aired out of production order, "The Weird World" was an example of Irwin Allen's brand of sci-fi at its (rare) best.

19. The Old Mixer

Coming back to this...was just watching the episode of CNN's American Dynasties: The Kennedys that deals with the assassination...I didn't know that the day of the funeral was John-John's third birthday...! :(

They're definitely putting themselves out there a lot by this point. Kinda like Tiny Tim. Whether the honor was deserved or not, it's no wonder that Yoko would become the face of the Beatles' breakup.

Not to discourage the contribution, but technically that would fall into the following week's episodes (Sunday, Dec. 22 through Saturday, Dec. 28, 1968). Which, as we'll see in next week's post, will be a light week for new episodes due to the holiday...but an iconic week for the Space Program.

And Trek is this week just getting around to airing its second-produced episode of the season, "Elaan of Troyius".

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  20. RJDiogenes

John is grumpy. This is good. :rommie:

"We drink and we sing and we drink and we die...."

This is okay.

Heh. I would have said this was a John solo song. It's pretty good.

I like the original lyrics. :rommie:

Always weird to hear, given its place in history. It also has kind of creepy and ominous overtones to me because of hearing adults talking about it at the time-- well, the time of the murders-- some of whom believed the Beatles to be involved.

Not bad, but not his best.

If the Beatles were bigger than Jesus and Tim was bigger than the Beatles....

Oh, indeed. :rommie:

Wow, role reversal. :rommie: This is totally late 60s to me, of course that is at least partly associational.

I had forgotten about that. :(