The Cage was a better pilot than WNMHGB

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Kaelef, Sep 16, 2019.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

..and still one of the best vampire stories ever put before a camera.

Greg Cox likes this.
  2. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

Great dialogue all around in STALKER. And, in the STRANGLER sequel, my favorite Kolchak retort ever:

''I've been a reporter for twenty years!''
    ''And I'VE been a police officer for THIRTY!!''
    ''Then why don't you retire??''

TREK_GOD_1 and Greg Cox like this.
  3. plynch

plynch Commodore Commodore

I hadn't realized this thread had continued for so long -- not "watching it", which I shall do now -- but any thread that makes me remember Adam 12 is a GOOD thread.

also . . . Emergency!

The Old Mixer likes this.
  4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

You might wanna pop by here once a week...50th anniversary Season 2 reviews to commence next week-ish with the third episode. (I had a recording mishap with the first two.)

5. plynch

plynch Commodore Commodore

Wow, thanks.

6. Search4

Search4 Captain Captain

Well let’s put it this way. If Where No Man had been shot first would we have seen a second pilot?

No. It’s the better pilot.

7. Maurice

Maurice ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

If they'd shot it with The Cage cast I daresay we still would've seen a different cast when it got picked up, beyond Hunter and Nimoy.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Quite possibly we would have. As I mentioned before, Desilu's first priority was to prove they were capable of producing a series as ambitious as Star Trek at a time when their sole production was The Lucy Show. So they had to pull out all the stops on their first pilot and do a feature-quality production. If they'd done WNM first, then they would've gone for a more elaborate production to achieve that goal, and thus it probably would've had the same problem that it didn't represent a typical episode budget and thus didn't let NBC estimate how much a season would cost. Also, as Maurice said, NBC felt the original cast didn't really work, and didn't deliver the diversity Roddenberry had promised. The first pilot would probably have had the same cast and budget issue regardless of which story they'd used, so a second pilot would still have been necessary.

9. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And remember the Delta Vega surface was just Talos 4 and the Enterprise sets were already built. So it would have cost a ton more than it did to make WNMHGB. It's possible the cost would have made NBC think twice just the same. "Hey, that was great, but make us a cheaper one to show you can do it closer to budget. And for the love of God, get rid of the guy with the ears."

Then Gene would have made one with Majel as the lead and a captain with repressed sexual fantasies and that woulda been the end of Star Trek. :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    ZapBrannigan and Henoch like this.
  10. Foxhot

Foxhot Commodore Commodore

I always wanted to see a TV show starring Majel Barrett, Barbara Bosson, Sheila Matthews, Sage Stallone and Mackenzie Astin acting together.

They could swim in a river and be attacked by leeches.:borg:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  11. Maurice

Maurice ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

Well, sorta re the Enterprise.
    • New
      • sickbay ward
      • Delta Vega control room
      • Delta Vega cell
    • Newish
      • a much longer corridor was built
    • Revamp
      • The Enterprise sets that were on stage 16 got consolidated onto 15 and three got used with minor alternations: bridge, briefing room and transporter
    • Built from stock from pilot
      • The entrance to the Delta Vega facility was build from a wall from Pike's cabin and arches from the Talosian underground
    There was no exterior shooting, which meant no company move to a backlot. That also saved money.

I've begun to suspect that referring to NBC as this monolithic thing is incorrect. I think it was the NBC sales department that was afraid of Spock (hence the airbrushed photos) but the programming people didn't necessarily have the same reservations.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.