The Cage Printer

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Disposable_Ensign, Feb 26, 2021.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was around the time AP's Wirephoto was established, based on technology that had been tested in the preceding decades but refined and made practical only in the preceding few years. The truly groundbreaking Telediagraph was a 19th century invention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirephoto
    http://www.forgottenfutures.co.uk/fax/fax.htm

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. So it's pretty obvious how the situation here was supposed to be interpreted in context:

1) Pike is the type of hero who is shy with women and often humorously unaware that he's in fact considered extremely attractive by them - both a Hollywood trope and a real-world possibility.
    2) Colt's appearing behind the command chair is an unwelcome and jarring reminder of what Pike just lost.
    3) The sum total of the two leads into a statement we're supposed to consider hilarious, especially as it then leads Pike into digging an even deeper hole for himself, and everybody on the bridge rolling their eyes.
    4) This is also supposed to cater for further hijinks where we can laugh at Pike's psychological discomfort, as he fails to cope with his shyness and clumsiness with women.

However, Trek ended up reusing the character of Pike, now shying away from the above Hollywood trope because shying away is fashionable while showing shy men is not. So we are now supposed to interpret this slightly differently:

1) Pike is normally a cool guy who has no problem whatsoever with women, men, letters of the alphabet, assorted aliens or animals, etc.
    2) It is even more pronouncedly just the mental distress from the stressful Rigel adventure that makes him temporarily vulnerable when Colt shocks him with her not-being-Pike's-usual-lad'ness.
    3) We aren't allowed to laugh at Pike's distress because, well, we aren't. We're supposed to condemn the rolling of eyes, too. In fact, we should refrain from levity in general.
    4) Further hijinks are definitely off the table, too, as Pike now is a different character who won't be seen so distressed in general - and because (in a departure from Hollywood tropes) he is likely to have learned from his humiliating experience and now devotes major mental resources to never slipping up again. Perhaps the cool guy act is the result of that? (Or perhaps there's a pill for it in the 23rd century?)

Add homoerotic backstory with the yeoman if you really must.

Timo Saloniemi

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly the closer we examine classic Trek, the more I think they'd have been better off with a full-on reboot, as opposed to the weird semi-reboot we got.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Semi-reboot? Do you mean when the show went to series ("Corbomite"), or when J.J. settled for Star Trek because Star Wars wasn't available?

jackoverfull likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was referring to Discovery season 2 and the forthcoming Strange New Worlds.

fireproof78 and jackoverfull like this.
  6. Timo

I for one would have appreciated the exact opposite. Mad Men did extremely well, say; having contemporary Trek take place in a pseudo-1960s environment would definitely be a move truly worthy of science fiction. (Complete with printers that push out yellowish paper-analogue!)

Timo Saloniemi

7. ZapBrannigan

Star Trek: Phase II and Star Trek Continues did exactly that, but in some episodes, they couldn't resist having the main characters mouth socio-political sentiments of the 2000s and 2010s.

We're also touching on retrofuturism. TOS doesn't look like Captain Proton or Amazon Women on the Moon, but its styles are very vintage now:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrofuturism

ChallengerHK likes this.
  8. Timo

Musk's Starship is unabashed retro, too. For all we know, real interstellar spacecraft will end up looking like TOS after all, from the inside - not merely for stylistic reasons, but for practical ones as well, just like Starship somewhat surprisingly is best made of steel with round portholes and Flash Gordon fins.

Timo Saloniemi

publiusr and jackoverfull like this.
  9. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to mention pure design choices…An important point roddenberry insisted on for the enterprise-d was that by then humanity wouldn't need to design a starship's look solely following function, but could afford designing something pleasing to the eye.

publiusr likes this.
  10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

"My own yeoman and two others dead, seven injured." The line is a bit mumbly, though. I never understood the first few words until I watched with subtitles on.

Kor

11. ZapBrannigan

That's odd. The line has always sounded crystal-clear to me. We run into this from time to time: different posters have a very different perception of what you would think is the same exact thing.

12. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, and of course until recently I had only seen the episode in the Italian version, I can only imagine how they translated that (the translations for TOS and the movies were...let’s say quite creative!).

Skipper likes this.
  13. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Indeed, it actually feels like very current (1964) technology, like the teleprinters in newsrooms around the country.

14. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Nooooo... that's way too slow. :) The ASR-28 and 33 did about 10/s. The former dates to the beginning of the 1950s.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

If it isn’t paper, it isn’t real.

Now, I see a return to photo guide books with each sheet of electronic paper being a GIF hard-fibered into the sheet. A perfect broadside for being nailed to poles and boards for the advertising of bands, candidates and such off-line fare.

Factsheet Five meets Johnny Mnemonic.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 7.27.20 PM.png

17. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain