Spoilers The Boys: Season 2 on Amazon Prime (2020)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Starting a new thread for the new season so as to not overwhelm everyone with the volume of posts. The first three episodes are now streaming.

Season 1 thread

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

After the first two episodes, I'm really not impressed. Hopefully the following eps will be better.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a pretty good start.
    The introduction of Stormfront was good. The end of episode 3 seems to be where we really see what's she's really like, and it's pretty scary. Definitely curious to see where the conflict they seem to be setting up with her and Homelander is headed.
    Homelander trying to play happy family Becca and Ryan is seriously fucked up.
    Starlight actually revealing the V's existence to the press was a big surprise.
    The introduction of Kimiko's brother gave us some nice character development for her.
    They seem to be taking The Deep in an interesting direction. I'm getting some major creepy cult vibes from this whole Church of The Collective thing.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kind of wonder if the V reveal would actually tank the stock prices.

This show is nasty enough I wasn’t exactly sure what would happen with the kid.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering Kenji's powers, do you think he attacked Stormfront in the worst way possible? Felt like the writers really wanted to get from A to C so they avoided B all together.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Totally, at this there really isn't much I'd put past The Boys.

7. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hadn't realized it was only 3 episodes until episode 3 ended and there was nothing to go to. Last year was all episodes at once right?

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yes. Now it's a slower release.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

5 more episodes.

One per week.

Staring on the 11th.

There's also a special listed called Butcher, but there's no date on that.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Butcher is going to a short that reveals more what he was up to before he shows up at the end of Episode 1. I believe the footage was originally supposed to be part of the episode, but they decided to cut it out and release it as it's own thing.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Someone mentioned to me that they didn't really get why A-Train backed down so easily from Starlight's threats against him at the end of Episode 2.

I kind of agree. I mean, just because Starlight says "The way she died couldn't have been suicide" and the method of several needles being jammed into her all at once. None of that points to A-Train. No one except Homelander KNEW they were still seeing each other anyways.

She says "I'm fine dying, are you?" and he doesn't even consider calling her bluff like that. When really, he's got all the proof and she's got nothing except her saying "He said he killed her!" and nothing else.

I know A-Train might be a bit shook up from his near-death experience and deeply in love with his rich lifestyle, but it seems he caved too easily.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that A-Train (does he have another name?) didn't really cave; I think that he decided to bank his intel in order to cash it in at a later date.

13. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

A-Train is also deeply complicit in the creation of the super terrorists. Sorry, I meant super villains. He probably doesn’t want any investigation coming his way.

theenglish likes this.
  14. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Episode 4 is up. Decent episode, really liked Billy’s reunion with Becca, the road trip to NC was good and the reveal that Stormfront is actually a far older previous ’Supe is a interesting twist. Homelander’s cabin stuff just goes to reinforce how messed up he really is.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  15. theenglish

That was a really well done episode..again. I loved the road trip--Annie and Hughie are pretty cute together. This episode actually made me want to root for them to find a way to escape and be together as a normal couple--singing Billy Joel tunes at a cabin on a lake somewhere. Butcher's story this episode was really sad and well acted. Homelander is such a psychological mess--what we've learned about this upbringing and his obvious mental instability really makes a villain that I pity more than anything.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing that's stood out to me this season, is that Antony Starr really is phenomenal as Homelander.
    I was shocked to see that the season only has 2 1/2 stars on Amazon, because I've been loving it, and most of the reactions I've seen in other places have been positive.

17. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

It has nothing to do with content. People have been review bombing the season because of the week to week episode drops. At one point last weekend it had as many 1 star reviews as 4 and 5 star put together.

People just want to bitch because they can't binge. I was disappointed they chose this model as well, but it's hardly anything to hold against the storytelling or the acting.

Anwar likes this.
  18. theenglish

He has. I have been blown away, especially in the last episode, with the level of depth that Starr's acting brings to the character. If you were just to remove the lines from the visuals, the character would read as very two-dimensional--but he brings such a pathos to the role that the viewer (at least this viewer) feels sorry for the character and the way he was brought up devoid of moral guidance (which is the point as he is the anti-Superman).

But Erin Moriarity has really had the opportunity to create a full, complex Annie/Starlight this season.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought he was pretty damn good last season.

20. theenglish

He was. I am just feeling that the characters are getting more depth this season, and the plot is giving them a chance to stretch their range.