The Best and Worst of Jon Pertwee

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mr Light, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Have to say death to the daleks.

2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I just finished the DVD special edition of "Day of the Daleks." Wow! What an improvement! IMO, the special edition kicks the story up from a C- to a solid B!

It's not perfect. Some of the new effects stand out a bit too much. In particular, the new establishing shots of the Dalek base look very fake and very CGI. However, they're still more impressive than the bland, modern apartment buildings used in the original version.

Also, the ray guns now have actual rays coming out of them, which makes the actors look considerably less silly when firing them. The disolving effect when the guns vaporize someone looks a little too modern but it's still better than the simple vanishing that they used to have.

The Dalek battle scene at the end is a lot better despite the fact that so little has been changed. There were a couple shots were they digitally added another Dalek or two to make the Dalek task force a little more impressive. But mostly, they just added a lot more laser beams & smoke to make the whole battle scene look a lot more intense & chaotic and hide the fact that there are only 3 Daleks there.

They also added some logical new exterior views of the Ogrons advancing on the house in Part 2. This new footage seamlessly blends in with the existing footage because it feels like these shots should have been in there from the beginning.

And if you want a glimpse of how much something can be improved with just a little bit of editing, I direct you to the ATV chase in Part 3. In the original, the whole thing just looks a little silly. But by quickly intercutting between closeups & wide shots and adding more laser beams & smoke, they make the whole thing look a lot more intense, exciting, & dangerous. Or at least, as intense, exciting, & dangerous as a 1970s Doctor Who ATV chase could ever be.

It's also amazing what a difference the Dalek voices can make. By having Nicholas Briggs re-dub all the Dalek voices, the Daleks feel like proper Daleks again and not 2nd rate immitations.

I only have 2 real complaints about the special edition:

First, they shouldn't have updated the Dalek beam effects. Or, at least, they shouldn't have updated them in quite the way that they did. The skeleton effect simply looks far too modern for a 1970s story. The traditional negative effect would have been preferable.

Second, at the beginnings of Parts 2 & 3 (and maybe Part 4, I don't remember), when they repeat the tail end of the previous episode, you can still hear the music stinger where the previous episode ended. It sounds weird and I'm surprised they didn't do anything to fix it in the special edition.

"The Time Monster" or "The Time Warrior"?

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Those were all real Daleks and new Orgons in the battle at the end. You should see the special on the DVD, it was a nice low budget special edition.

4. The Borgified Corpse

While they may have all been practical Daleks, some of them were definately digitally comped into existing shots from the original version. But it's hard to tell because the new Daleks are mostly at the edge of the frame and are obscured by the added smoke.

Edit: Like the 4th Dalek at the edge of the frame in this photo:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  5. The Borgified Corpse

Good news. According to http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Ambassadors-Of-Death/17216 , "The Ambassadors of Death" is coming out on DVD in Region 1 on October 2. After that, the only remaining Jon Pertwee story yet to be released on DVD will be "The Mind of Evil."

And the only other surviving episodes from other Doctors that we're still waiting for on DVD are the mostly complete stories "The Reign of Terror," "The Tenth Planet," & "The Ice Warriors;" "Terror of the Zygons;" the never completed "Shada;" and the recently rediscovered episodes "Air Lock" & "The Underwater Menace, Part 2." Plus, later charity or online specials like "Dimensions in Time," "Curse of Fatal Death," "Scream of the Shalka," & the animated Paul McGann verson of "Shada."

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

When did Death To The Daleks come out?

7. The Borgified Corpse

Last week, July 10.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I'm alittle behind the times I guess.

9. Grenrob

Grenrob Ensign Newbie

1 Green Death
    2 Daemons
    3 Planet of the Daleks
    4 Spearhead from Space
    5 Silurians or Inferno
    7 Sea Devils
    8 Death to the Daleks
    9 Peladons
    11 Frontier in Space
    12 Colony in Space
    13 Ambassadors of Death

The Others I like all the same apart from Mutants and Time Warrior, because they are a wasted space in the Pertwee Era.

I love Pertwee Episodes when it was Brig, Benton, Yates and Jo because they just seem the best U.N.I.T team. But I think Brig was at his best in Season 7. I also really like Liz and Sarah.

I thought the three Doctors was alright but I dont know why people find so amazing about it? I think that one is overrated for no reason. Much prefer Five Doctors or Two Doctors.

10. The Borgified Corpse

Omega is awesome! Plus, the whole episode is founded on the interplay between the 2 Doctors, something sorely lacking in the other multi-Doctor stories. In "The Five Doctors," most of the Doctors don't meet each other until the very end. In "The Two Doctors," the 2nd Doctor spends most of the story drugged & tied up in the basement while the 6th Doctor, Peri, & Jamie try to rescue him. Whereas "The Three Doctors" has tons of scenes of the 2nd & 3rd Doctors getting on each others' nerves.

It's also fun to see how the Brigadier seems to have such a difficult time coping with the whole situation. Sgt. Benton's reaction to entering the TARDIS for the first time is equally priceless.
    "Aren't you going to say it's bigger on the inside? Everyone else does."
    "Well, it's obvious, isn't it?":p

11. Mr Majester

Mr Majester Cadet Newbie

The Pertwee era was simply superb, the stories were good, the villains were good and whoever thought of the Master was a genius. Pertwee saved the series, he gave the character credibility, as a viewer you really did believe he could save the Universe and he was the smartest Scientist in the world! The Brigadier and UNIT stories were a wonderful time in the show's history. There were some slow stories, but overall the show worked wonderfully well. He was the action man and the on screen rapport with Roger Delgado and Nicholas Courtney ensured the series success for many years to come. Tom Baker inherited a healthy show and lucky for him too as his Doctor fumbled his way through 7 years of some very dodgy scripts and story lines.
    Favourite stories are :
    Frontier In Space
    Inferno
    The Sea Devils
    The Silurians
    Terror Of The Autons
    The Daemons
    Day Of The Daleks
    Carnival Of Monsters
    The Time Monster
    Planet Of The Daleks

12. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not really a fan of Carnival or Time Monster, but the rest are good. As I've stated before, Daemons and Inferno are my favorite two Doctor Who stories of all time.

13. Grenrob

Grenrob Ensign Newbie

You might Think I have serious lake of taste and I dont know what I like but...
    I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND AGAIN!!!
    I JUST CANT HELP MYSELF!!!

1 Green Death
    2 Mind of evil <<< Never realised its full greatness
    3 Daemons
    4 Inferno
    5 Terror of the autons <<< Take back what I said about crappy Terror. Its so creative with the autons
    6 Carnival of Monsters <<< I dont care what people say, its great and the most imaginative.
    7 Spearhead from Space
    8 Ambassadors of Death
    9 Silurians
    10 Sea Devils
    11 Death to the Daleks
    12 Five Doctors <<< count this if you want
    13 Planet of the Daleks
    14 Time Warrior
    15 Colony in Space <<< People who are impatient hate this serial, I admite I used to be and on my first reply I was awful. I am developing taste.
    16 Monster of Peladon <<< Why people hate this one so bad?
    17 Frontier in Space <<< Orgons are great, their planet is awsome.
    18 Curse of Peladon
    19 Day of the Daleks
    20 Three Doctors
    21 Time Monster
    22 Mutants
    23 Invasion of the Dinosaurs
    24 Claws of Axos
    25 Planet of the Spiders <<< This is the only serial I dont like. It was just awful wasen't it? Lupton is one of the worst if not the worst villian in Dr who. A sales manager who has been made redundant thinks he can have revenge by joining a buddist temple and take it over the world? Dream on mate? :confused:
    Its odd to think that the Green Death is my Favourite and Planet of the Spiders is my least favourite bescause they are connected in a way.

COMPANIONS

Jo Grant and Sarah Jane ( If you count Sarah in Toms era)
    Brigadier ( before Invasion of the Dinosaurs)
    Liz Shaw ( Jo and Sarah annoying you? You can always rely on Liz)
    Mike and John ( 2 of the Finest male companions)

All Pertwees Companions are Good

Top 3 Monsters/Villian

1 Master
    2 Auton
    3 Underwater/Silurian and Drashig

Plz comment to this took me ages!!!

14. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An effect he quickly shed when expressing pain, I could never quite tell if he was in agony or needing to go to the loo.

15. The Borgified Corpse

I suspect "The Monster of Peladon" has a less than stellar reputation because it's basically just a rehash of "The Curse of Peladon" but less creative and dragged out to 6 parts.

I like "Planet of the Spiders." At the very least, I like that one episode that is pretty much nothing but one giant vehicle chase. It's like Jon Pertwee realized his era was ending and there were so many kinds of vehicle chases that he still wanted to do, so they crammed them all into one episode.

I've been watching "Frontier in Space" recently and I still think it's really good. However, there are some bad edits where it seems like they suddenly had to move where they put the cliffhanger. Like, I suspect part 4 was originally supposed to end with the Doctor getting lost on his space walk, but either part 4 ran short or part 5 ran long, so instead it ends with a rather uninteresting shot of an Ogron looking at a radar screen. I mean, it's probably the most unintimidating shot of an Ogron that we've ever seen. Similarly, I suspect Part 1 was originally supposed to end with the Ogrons attacking the ship, rather than the stunned crew members accusing the Doctor & Jo of being Draconian spies.