The Autobiography of Mr. Spock by... Una McCormack?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JonnyQuest037, Aug 30, 2020.

1. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just looked at the listing for the long-delayed The Autobiography of Mr. Spock on my Amazon Wish List, and I noticed that the author is now listed as Una McCormack instead of David A. Goodman. The cover art has been changed to feature McCormack's name, too.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Was Mr. Goodman unable to complete his planned trilogy with the Kirk and Picard autobiographies for some reason, so Ms. McCormack was recruited to take over the project?

This does make me a little less excited about the book, as I enjoyed what Goodman did with the Kirk and Picard books. McCormack is still an unknown quantity to me at this point, although I know she wrote the soon-to-be-released Autobiography of Kathryn Janeway for Titan Books.

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Una McCormack is quite possibly the most talented writer ever to create Trek fiction, and I do not say that lightly. This is -- with all due deference to David Goodman -- trading up. As it would be with Una replacing anyone, because she's just that fucking amazing.

3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, quite a testimonial! Any recommendations as to which Trek books of hers I should check out to become familiar with her work?

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If you like Picard, she wrote the prequel novel "The Last Best Hope". She also wrote the DS9 novel "Hollow Men" which is a sorta sequel to "Homefront"/"Paradise Lost".

DEWLine and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Yes you should read Enigma Tales, a great novel!
    A shame she doesn't wrote more Garak or DS9 novels set after that book

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    ThetaSigma likes this.
  6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Read DS9: The Never-Ending Sacrifice

From my 2009 review of the novel:

Unicorn, Valin, Corran Horn and 5 others like this.
  7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I'll second Keith's praise of Una's work. She is, far and away, the best of us Star Trek scribblers.

She also has a new original SF novella out from tor.com publishing, The Undefeated.

ThetaSigma, Unicorn, Leto_II and 3 others like this.
  8. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard and Tilly's novel may have moved her in front of Keith RA Decandido for my favorite.

Err...sorry, KRAD.

:)

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's her Star Trek bibliography from Memory Alpha
    And just in case you're a Doctor Who fan, here's her DW stuff too

Novels
    BBC New Series Adventures
    Short Stories
    Short Trips
    Brief Encounter
    The Scientific Secrets of Doctor Who
    The Target Storybook
    Audio
    Big Finish Doctor Who monthly range
    The Ninth Doctor Chronicles
    The Twelfth Doctor Chronicles
    Companion Chronicles
    Short Trips
    Bernice Summerfield
    Partisans

Smiley and Alwaystrekkin like this.
  10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although an official explanation has never been provided, it's generally presumed Goodman was too damn busy between his job on the writing staffs of Family Guy and The Orville and writing tie-in comics for The Orville. This would seem to be supported by the fact the Spock Autobiography was originally due out in 2018 and is constantly postponed.

JonnyQuest037 and Tuskin38 like this.
  11. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Nothing to apologize for! As I said above, Una is amazing. There is no shame in being supplanted by her on a favorites list.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Seconded. There are a handful of TrekLit lines that really sunk in with me. Calhoun quoting Jim Kirk's autobiography musing on how disturbing it was for him whenever he encountered a rogue officer in Once Burned. Tuvok's last line in Destiny. And Garak's little epitaph for Ziyal at the end of The Never-Ending Sacrifice.

It's part of a miniseries, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it to just get a taste of her work, but when I was thinking of memorable McCormack moments, something else that came to mind was Garak's little intersitial letters to Bashier (building on A Stitch in Time) in The Crimson Shadow, especially one in particular when he's been pushed past his limits by the novel's events.

Jarvisimo and Corran Horn like this.
  13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read her ds9 books they're really good so are her Doctor Who books I borrowed them from the library and Galifrey is a fantastic book.She's also got a Captain Janeway autobiography book coming out in a few weeks

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her take on Garak, and Cardassia in general, are some of the best things to come out of Trek Lit.

Jarvisimo, Unicorn, Sci and 4 others like this.
  15. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To those ringing testimonials (I acknowledge Ms. McCormack's chops, and her ST experience, even if there are other ST writers whose works I prefer), I can only say that (1) The late Dorothy Fontana would have been good, given that she invented a good chunk of Vulcan culture, (2) Diane Duane (having written Spock's World) would also be good, but she hasn't written any ST since The Empty Chair, and (3) I never particularly cared for Goodman's "autobiographies," for reasons I've given before.

Valin and Ronald Held like this.
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I purchased The Never Ending Sacrifice out of habit and it sat in my pile for a while while I experienced no appreciable desire to read it - lacklustre premise, uninspiring character choice, meh.

Eventually I did read it.

It's my favourite Treklit novel, even surpassing Articles Of The Federation by...oh, I forget.

It's an upgrade.

Jarvisimo and Sci like this.
  17. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Write the Sisko autobiography too please Una!

18. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is a sale that just started on her Enigma Tales book, so that could be an easy way to sample her style.

Jarvisimo likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since we already have Picard, Kirk, and we're getting Janeway, I'm thinking Sisko is inevitable at this point. Hopefully Una will write it when we do.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

This will be one of those times where I'm really hoping for discontinuity between books.

In the Kirk autobio, Goodman wrote Star Trek 5 off completely as never actually having happened, which I personally found to be a very poor decision.

I'm hoping Una rectifies that by delving into the Spock/Sybok dynamic.