The Alcove - BorgMan's random art thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BorgMan, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Donnewtype

Donnewtype Lieutenant Red Shirt

Some nice designs BorgMan. Is the ISS Cole an Imperial patrol/police ship? It seems small if the windows are the same size as those on the Enterprise or other TOS ships. With the single cargo/passenger pod the Mammoth strikes me as being inspired by the Eagle from Space1999. and if you don't mind me asking what program you use to render your models? Ive only just started to explore rendering in Sketchup and want to see what other artists are using.

Don

2. Atolm

Atolm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

excellent!

3. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Cole (whether being the ISS or USS version) is smallish, but not overly. The saucer is almost the same size as a Constitution's.

I almost exclusively use Kerkythea to render; I can get it to do a lot of stuff I want so for now it suits my needs, but it's old and unsupported since a few years. There's a Boost version which supports x64 CPUs and that's as advanced as it'll get. I've dabbled in Thea (the commercial replacement) a little bit and I want to try Twinmotion as well. I've heard good things about V-Ray, Enscape and Lumion. Nothing's free though, so you might even want to try exporting to OBJ so Blender can have a go...

Atolm likes this.
  4. BorgMan

Atolm wanted a different view of the T'Karath. So I got to setting her up with my Antares class Maia!

[​IMG]

All glorious in 4K! I really need a new computer though. This scene took me upwards of 160 hours because of all the reflective materials I built in. The warp streaks being physical, illuminating objects, while giving a very cool result, probably didn't help either...

Kaiser, StarCruiser, JES and 3 others like this.
  5. Atolm

Atolm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She is really beautiful bro :)

6. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

7. BorgMan

Yeah... No. Not going to enter this month's contest. My redesign is doing all kinds of weird stuff...

This is what I started with, after having left the ship alone for... well, too long:

[​IMG]

This is where I am now. Artefacts galore...

[​IMG]

Cobalt Frost, Cyfa, publiusr and 6 others like this.
  8. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a really streamlined design. :mallory:

9. Cyfa

Cyfa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Such a great shape - Very sleek and 'future Voyager'.

10. BorgMan

I've been doing some work on my Hiawatha again!

[​IMG]

And some early bridge renders. The seed for this one is a pair of octagons, one smaller than the other. I think I succeeded in making the bridge feel smaller, even though it isn't that much smaller per se...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if I want to put screens at the top of the aft consoles. The side walls will feature care-related diagrams, like the status of the pods the Hiawatha can carry, and nothing else. It needs to feel sparse and wholly focused on providing care to grief-stricken worlds; not much else. Heck, i might even omit phasers...

publiusr, Kaiser and tax1234 like this.