The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
  2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

For those of you who live near the Canadian border, Toys R Us isn't closing down up here (yet, anyway). They are looking for a buyer, but apparently are planning to continue operations.

I don't know how our stores compare to yours selection-wise, but if nothing else, our weak dollar right now should help your purchasing power, if you wanted to come over and check it out.

Sibyl likes this.
  3. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Discovered a new thrift store the other day but it was closed so I checked it out today and got some new goodies. My favorite item of the haul was this lazy susan spice rack. Knowing how I love to take everyday things and make them into either props or diorama fodder, anyone want to speculate what I plan on doing with this? ;)
    [​IMG]

Sibyl likes this.
  4. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Hmmm...transporter room, perhaps? ;)

cooleddie74 and CaptainMurdock like this.
  5. CaptainMurdock

Bingo! Just need to get some new paint and greeble it up.
    [​IMG]

cooleddie74 and Sibyl like this.
  6. cooleddie74

CaptainMurdock and Sibyl like this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So they are going to buy up all the stuff Toys 'r Us couldn't sell and sell it... Brilliant! :wtf:

8. cooleddie74

With a fraction of the real estate! KB stores fit inside shopping malls so I don't expect the new KB footprint to match the one that Toys "R" Us is leaving behind. Mind you, any big name toy retailer is better than none at all but this won't be a one-for-one swap.

9. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Not to mention that K*B was notoriously overpriced on everything. I hope they don't keep that up; it's most likely what killed them in the first place.

10. cooleddie74

I did find a lot of Star Wars figures for the same prices that both TRU and Target were selling them for at the time but yeah, you usually didn't shop at KB unless you couldn't find what you wanted somewhere else. They got an occasional Star Wars exclusive that I was at least mildly interested in but for the most part they just carried what everybody else did.

11. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back in February, when we got the first snow of this winter, that only lasted one morning, I took this picture:

[​IMG]

But I never was really happy with it so never posted it. I have enhanced the colors, the original was very grey (as the sky was grey) and I did not like Alfred being in up till the knees and the grass showing.

Then on Wednesday Sean posted videos about snow in New York, looking like this:

[​IMG]

And I realized that in the above picture I also had failed to give Alfred a scarf and a hat. So in the morning of Thursday, before work, I retook the picture, with what little of snow was left on my balcony. By evening, it was gone. I am very happy with my new result and I even got a retweet from Sean for it:

[​IMG]

And here is a behind-the-scenes picture, taking off the magic a bit I guess ;) With one hand I was holding the blue paper, with the other photograping. Gymnastics early in the morning.

[​IMG]

12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

... I am SO jealous!!

13. Astra

From the episode "Patterns of Force" - Kirk and Spock breaking from their prison cell. The grid is from my oven actually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. cooleddie74

15. CaptainMurdock

Got half of the newest wave of the World of Nintendo figures. Metal and Raccoon Mario.
    [​IMG]

16. CaptainMurdock

At Toy Fair in 2000 there was a line of Nintendo figures that was shown but sadly it never made it to retail. 18 years later, all the characters in that announced line are now here. Mario's World may not have made it, but World of Nintendo delivered what was promised all those years ago. This is my tribute to that line that never saw the light of day.
    [​IMG]

Along with that, I decided to recreate a scene from this commercial for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.
    [​IMG]

Sibyl likes this.
  17. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. Astra

Boys and their toys!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Was looking at some pics of the new version of Predaking, and I have to admit on seeing these my thoughts are pretty mixed. When the new Constructions were released, there were a number of complaints about the flaws in some of the designs (which are valid to some degree). But I feel like with these Predacons, their design is pretty bad. Maybe part of is the angle, but they just look way too blocky. Several people joked about the turrets on Headstrong and Tantrum being held like boomboxes, and they have annoying combiner thighs that hang off their backs in robot mode.

Predaking himself doesn't look too bad, but there have been complaints about the torso section (which looks way thinner than it should). I'm keeping an open mind, but I've seen other versions of the team that are better IMO.

20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The other day I was at Wal-Mart, and the Star Wars action figure section was a mess. I found a 3.75" Snoke on retro card, but I couldn't find the price anywhere. So I took it up to the register and rang it up. It was about $13, so I decided to leave it and get it next payday.

Later, out of curiosity, I searched online to so if I could get it cheaper, but it looks like it's going for about $25, minimum. Oops! :o I should have just gotten it at Wal-Mart instead of being such a cheapskate. I'll go back this evening and hope I can find it again.

Kor

BillJ and cooleddie74 like this.