The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Found some of my old dollhouse furniture and it was perfect for mini Rebecca!

sofa_zpszohxyrb0.jpg

I found another terrarium at Michaels, and couldn't resist it. I thought at first it would be a cute garden shed, but it was kind of cluttered when I put stuff in it:

new%20house%20b_zpsknzcoemi.jpg

I turned it into a place for a little swing. I built the swing myself, because I couldn't find one I liked anywhere.

swing%20b_zpsjcybtfxm.jpg

I'll add flowering vines to the ropes.

Cute! :) It's often interesting what you can find or buy and then turn into displays and environments for dolls, action figures and their accessories.

http://news.toyark.com/2016/02/04/mattel-hasbro-may-talking-merger-190775
Wait.....what?
Hasbro Inc. and Mattel Inc. have held talks about merging two of the world’s biggest toymakers, according to people familiar with the matter, in a deal that would bring together the owner of the My Little Pony and Furby brands with Barbie and Hot Wheels.

This is not the first time a combination has been talked about. Two decades ago — almost to the day — Mattel withdrew a $5.2 billion offer for Hasbro, citing an “intolerable climate” created by its competitor’s use of the media and politicians to fight the proposed takeover. Back then, Hasbro resisted the deal in what Mattel described as a “scorched earth” campaign to stop it.

A merger might not face that many antitrust hurdles because the U.S. toy industry is very fragmented, according to Jaime Katz, an analyst at Morningstar Inc. If combined, the companies would have probably about one quarter of the market in the U.S., she said.

This would have incredible repercussions for the toy aisles. If such a thing happened, what would our favorite lines even look like any more? The people in charge of DC Multiverse had better not be let anywhere near Marvel Legends or the Star Wars Black Series!

I always thought Disney would be the one to take over Hasbro in the wake of their 2012 buyout of Lucasfilm. The Mouse consolidating most of the global Star Wars empire under one banner by owning both the franchise and the company that makes most of its toys seemed like a logical step if the opportunity ever presented itself and Disney had a chance to make an offer to purchase Hasbro. This is the first I've heard about this!

And now you can buy different kinds of Barbie including Burka Barbie. Hell I might just get one for the fun of it.

I bought one of the Marilyn Monroe Barbies but could not resist taking it out of the box and having it out on display. Ruined the value of it but what the heck?

Barbie even did a version of Galadriel from Lord Of The Rings, and Flashdance. I have that one. Pic here of this one, Still in the same packaging but locked away.

4646459369_61196b0bac_z.jpg

It's already posed like the far right picture in the box so no actual need to remove the figure unless one wishes to play with it. But not opening this one like I did with the Marilyn Monroe one I have.

Fabric seems good still no bugs have gotten to it.

This is what Marilyn looked like before deboxing

72406f44d96e2a92e4bbfcbfe1c973e8.jpg

And now you can buy different kinds of Barbie including Burka Barbie. Hell I might just get one for the fun of it.

I bought one of the Marilyn Monroe Barbies but could not resist taking it out of the box and having it out on display. Ruined the value of it but what the heck?

I have a Tall, Petite, and Curvy Barbie on order and am looking forward to receiving them!

I wonder what the repercussions of the Mattel-Hasbro merger will be for the Star Wars action figure line.

It's scandalous that articulated elbows and knees aren't standard-issue in the basic line. :mad:
Seriously, how many extra pennies does it cost to make the figures able to bend their knees and elbows after nearly forty years? :rolleyes:

Kor

Last edited:
Bleh. You can keep your knees and elbows. Those additional points of articulation make it many times more difficult for kids to try and get them to stand up when playing with them. (Source: Me and my kids playing with many different action figures over many decades.) I'd rather have playability over accuracy any day.

To me, being able to bend the knees and elbows makes for much, much greater playability.

Kor

I'm just happy Jakks Pacific hasn't been affected. My precious! (World of Nintendo.) :rommie:

It will be interesting to see what this possible merger will do for the future of toys.

I should have known not to spend too much time in here. My used Swedish Chef kitchen (no chef, $30), and News Desk playsets are ordered.

Back