The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the new one I saw. I think the pre-order was sold out by the time I got around to it lol. The head sculpt is amazing detail. Too bad the lightsabers are shoddy (I know they're only an accessory, but still :) )

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The lightsabers and accessories are suffering this year. Hasbro doesn't even bother to paint details on some of them. The company's really gotten miserly with some of their cost cutting and it's carried over into the articulation on the new CLONE WARS figures. Most wrist, knee and ankle joints have completely disappeared and a lot of collectors are miffed.

3. cooleddie74

2012 Waves Three, Four and Five of the Vintage Collection...all in one convenient photograph.

[​IMG]

All of the first ten have been either moderately or extremely difficult to find in retail stores here in the United States. The five along the bottom row(Wave 5/Grand Moff Tarkin) aren't even officially out yet except for online retailers and specialty shops, but once they hit the big retail chains they'll probably be just as hard to find as Waves 3 and 4, if not moreso. Distribution right now is as bad as it's ever been with few if any signs of improvement and nobody seems to be listening.

If you collect and happen to see any of these fifteen figures in the wild...get them. Because you just never know if you're ever gonna see them again outside of overpriced auctions on eBay. It's a shame figures this great looking and well made have to be so hard to find in the richest and most toy-crazed country in the world, but the market is just very dysfunctional and frustrating right now. A whole lot of folks are simply throwing up their hands and giving up.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Went a bit crazy and purchased the Search For Luke Battle Pack w/Han Solo, Hoth Rebel and Tauntaun, the Vintage Landspeeder and Luke's Tauntaun.

All for the princely sum of £50.99 thanks to a sale at Firebox.com. Free shipping too.

5. cooleddie74

^
    I own all of those except the Search for Luke Skywalker set. My local Target didn't get too many of them in stock. I decided to wait for a holiday markdown sale towards the end of last year, but the ones they had were all gone before the sale went into effect. I've never seen any more of them except on eBay, and they want upwards of $50-$70 for one of them. That's a bit too pricey no matter how neat the packaging and figures are.

Congrats on the score! That's not bad...fifty pounds for all three items isn't too shabby. The Landspeeder alone can go on eBay for as much as $60 all by itself.

6. cooleddie74

NEW photo of the boxed and loose Vintage Collection AT-ST Scout Walker! This picture is of the European packaging, but is more or less the same as the Kmart-exclusive AT-ST box that will be coming out this fall.

This appears to be a repaint of the last AT-ST Walker, which in the States was a Target exclusive vehicle a couple of years ago. I believe that one came with an AT-ST Driver figure, whereas this release won't. Still, the packaging is gorgeous!

[​IMG]

7. Shazam!

LOL@Hasbor gonzos posing the legs backwards.

8. cooleddie74

^
    I noticed. :lol:

I sincerely hope the actual toy inside the box hasn't been screwed up like that. Hasbro's capable of some really dumb things given their recent track record, but reversing the AT-ST's chicken legs would cause the collecting boards to go up like the Death Star. Knowing Kmart they'll charge about thirty-five or forty bucks for this thing, and that's a lot of scratch to spend for a toy with a major manufacturing error.

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

^Looks like the legs are on right, just posed wrong. It reminds me of years back when the Iron Man movie toy line was coming out. The promo pics for some strange reason had Iron Man wearing one of his shoulder pads on his head. Oh, Hasbro.

EDIT: Here we go:
    [​IMG]

10. cooleddie74

^
    Could be. Maybe you're right. It's hard to tell with some toy companies sometimes.

11. cooleddie74

A shot of the incredible ARTFX+ "Darth Vader: The Return of Anakin Skywalker" from Kotobukiya, an upcoming release from the company that, as you can see, comes complete with a removable helmet to reveal the pale and deeply scarred visage of Anakin Skywalker as portrayed by the late, great Sebastian Shaw.

According to collector sites, this will be released in December.

[​IMG]

12. OdoWanKenobi

^"Impressive. Most impressive."

13. cooleddie74

^
    I agree! That might be the best reproduction of Sebastian Shaw's Anakin Skywalker face I think I've ever seen anywhere.

On another SW note...here are the five Tarkin action figures released between 1997(far left) and 2012(far right). From left to right:

Grand Moff Tarkin(POTF2, 1997)
    Tarkin(Episode III, 2005)
    Grand Moff Tarkin(Death Star Briefing exclusive multipack, 2006)
    Tarkin(Comic Book two-pack, 2007)
    Grand Moff Tarkin(The Vintage Collection, 2012)

[​IMG]

For all the flaws of the new Vintage Tarkin what with his controversial soft goods trim and pale skin coloring he's still head and shoulders above the others...for the most part.

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

A little update on my displays:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cooleddie74

This could very well be the most badass thing I've seen in at least a week.

16. OdoWanKenobi

I'm gonna disagree. There is not one single solitary thing about the new Tarkin that works for me. :scream:

17. cooleddie74

The forums over at Rebelscum have pics from a guy who customized his own Tarkin using pieces of the new figure as well as parts from a 2008 Captain Needa. It doesn't look too bad. He replaced the soft goods skirt with Needa's plastic one.

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gollum looks like he's scared of Judge Dredd

19. cooleddie74

I saw the Stallone film. I'd be scared, too. And not for the right reasons. :p

20. Shazam!

Relative to the line it was released in, the ROTS Tarkin is the best one. The Vintage one doesn't even look like Cushing.

My Y-Wing arrived this weekend. Having never owned one, I never realised how huge they are. It's taking pride and place on top of my bookshelf. As an aside, my Revenge Boba Fett arrived too. Easily the best Fett figure to date.