The 2015 F1 World Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Hockenheim is off the table, and the German Grand Prix almost certainly off the schedule, leavng us with a 19 race season.

I must say, I'm not at all happy with the way this season is kicking off. Several of the teams are horribly unprepared, Renault apparently doing a poor job all round, 15 cars on the starting grid last week, tracks not ready leading to a short season.

Yuck.

2. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Yeah, F1 is not in a great state in this country if neither Hockenheim-Ring GmbH nor capricorn Nürburgring GmbH want anything to do with a German Grand Prix.

I can't fault people for not going to races, though. Ticket prices for the German Grand Prix have been astronomical for decades.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I miss the old pre 2001 Hockenheim ring, through the forest. Now that was a much better track than the current configuration.

Hopefully Malayasia will be a better race, though I suspect we will have to wait until the European phase of the season starts as thats when a lot of the Major upgrades see their first apperance.

So who do we think/should replace Bottas if he is still unfit for Malaysia, though it seems as if Williams have ruled it out. I say put Susie in it, sure you could say it's a PR stunt but it would certainly generate a great deal of Media for F1. After all don't we want to see female drivers in F1 and it could serve as the break through (unlikely I know).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It was kinda sweet seeing Sebastian Vettel flip out over his first victory with Ferrari because he was such a massive Michael Schumacher fanboy growing up.

5. Pingfah

Never thought i'd be rooting for Seb to win a race a few years back.

Still supporting Hammy of course, but competition is required, and Seb really deserved the win.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Too early to say if Ferrari can mount a challange but if they can perharps Horner needs to revisit his comments about equalisation.

7. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Mercedes shot themselves in the foot, there. Messing up the tyre situation and using a useless pit stop strategy while underestimating the clearly in form Ferrari? Makes for good viewing, though.

I should think they'll return to winning ways soon enough, but it's nice to see some competition for once.

8. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Either way, zee Germans win.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I still think Ferrari could have won the race regardless of the SC, they seemed faster in Sectors 1 and 2 which have the two DRS sections. Even before the SC, Lewis hadn't managed to get out of DRS range. Vettel might have been able to get ahead during a pitstop anyway.

10. Pingfah

Oh, and since it's too small a subject to create its own thread for, i'll just say GO ON SON!

For Valentino Rossi.

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I really like the Valentino Rossi flavored Monster.

[​IMG]

I don't know how they get his essence in that can, but dude is tasty.

Seriously though, the man's a living legend.

12. Pingfah

Hah, is that real? I wouldn't touch energy drinks with a 10ft pole, but that's pretty cool.

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It totally is, I bought a sixpack a month ago. It's now my favorite Monster flavor. I'm not exactly a follower of the bike-y portion of motorsports, but I agree, it is pretty damn cool.

14. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the MotoGP race was pretty damn awesome. I hope Rossi continues to shine, but the Ducatis look pretty damn good!

Italian manufacturers upping their game in F1 and MotoGP - should be a good year!

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Looks like Bernie's at it again with his idea for an all female F1 series. Drivers should be in F1 because they are the best and not for any other reason.

16. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

If Ferrari really has turned a corner, it's nothing but good for Haas F1, whose cars will be around 1/3 Ferrari next year.

17. Pingfah

They aren't proposing to shoehorn females into f1 races, they are proposing a separate race.

It's no different to the women's tennis circuit, or women's football leagues. Are you opposed to those too?

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So why can't women compete in the ordinary Football league? I mean don't they play under the same rules as men? Why can't the teams be mixed? As for Tennis why do men play the best of 5 women the best of 3?

But isn't F1 is gender free?, there is no rule that says your driver has to be male. A team can run with a female driver if they so wish. So the question becomes why haven't they broken into F1 in any meaningful way? Are they simply not good enough? Not given enough chances in lower series? Aren't you by setting up a female only F1 series basically saying sorry girls but you simply aren't good enough to race with the men? DO you then create a feamle only GP2 series, a female F3 series? Where does it stop?

As it stands some F1 teams are struggling to survive, how to you fund another 10 teams to run a female only F1 series? Or do you force teams by saying if you want to compete in the now male only F1 series you have to provide cars for the female only series?

19. Pingfah

I'm honestly not sure what you are arguing about. There's differences in women's football and women's tennis because there are differences between men and women physically. It's not sexist to point that out.

It's less clear cut in driving, but I think while there are some women who could compete at that level, it's likely there are less women going to be capable of driving at that extreme level than men. Opinion is split even among female test drivers, Susie Wolf doesn't like the idea, Carmen Jordan thinks they should do it. In either case, I don't see why it would upset you. Where would it stop?? Who cares, it's a private business enterprise, they can do what they want. If people want to fund women's F1 teams, they should have at it. It can only be good for women looking to get competitive experience in F1 cars.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes but why can't they get that competitive experience racing against men? And aren't we just demonstrating the same split that female racing drivers have some of us think it's a good idea others don't see the need for a seperate female only series and say let them race with the men if they are good enough to reach F1.