The 12th Doctor's Wardrobe Revealed!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mark_Nguyen, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't feel very new to me but obviously he's going for the 3rd Doctor style.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know what you're talking about ;)

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Ladies and Gentleman, Capaldi the Magnificent.

4. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Bit of a 1960s Mod feeling...
    Picture an old moped behind him...

5. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really don't like it. It looks too much like the previous costume to me. What it means is that what we saw at the end of the Christmas special is all we'll get in the new series, except more blue and brief flashes of red.

The top button done up without a tie makes the Doctor look Amish. He at least could undo the button and look more casual. Also I was really hoping for tall boots that went over his trousers like Tom Baker sometimes wore.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't take much to turn geeks into fashion critics. :D

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're obsessed with details. :)

That costume might be worth it for that magician picture alone.

8. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Oh god....brilliant. :lol::guffaw::lol:

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Having slept on it I think my view’s stayed the same. Overall I like it, it gives him a recognisable and different silhouette to other Doctors, but I do think half the Doctory nature of the look is coming from the pose, and I wonder if he’ll keep the coat buttoned like that all of the time or not? The flash of red is definitely a plus and I guess my only worry is that if he takes the top coat off he might just look a little too ordinary. Both Tennant and Smith’s outfits worked with varying bits removed. Lose the overcoat and you still had Ten’s crumpled suit, lose the tweed and you still had Smith’s braces and the bowtie.

Of course it may be that Capaldi will rarely be seen without the top coat, much like Eccleston was rarely without the U-Boat captain leather jacket, and much like Eccleston it’ll come down to how he plays it. It just feels like it’s missing something quirky, though I couldn’t for the life of me suggest anything, we don’t want question marks on the shirt collar after all. The only thing that comes to mind would be something archaic like a Wild West shoelace tie (I’m sure they have an actual name) but I guess after Tennant and Smith they wanted him to go tieless, and with that I think the buttoned up look is a good choice, he looks smarter without a tie than Tennant or Smith ever did with one!

10. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

From the off I saw Capaldi in professor-like browns and greys, perhaps with a walking stick. So this outfit completely threw me. I'll have to see him in action to form an opinion.

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They may have other names, but I've personally heard them called "lanyards".

Sincerely,

Bill

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I like it. A cross between Pertwee and Smith and I think it's interesting that this is the second pose by Peter which echoes one from Pertwee. I sort of expected something a little more flamboyant, TBH, but it's more in keeping with the quirky but not OTT outfits of the last two Doctors. Give me that over something garish like Six or Seven any day.

Is it just coincidence that he's doing something Silence-ish with his outstretched hand? Probably...

13. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Typically they're called "string ties". Lanyards are more commonly used for carrying things, like ID badges, knives, whistles, etc.

14. Mr. Adventure

^ or Bolo ties

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ick, no. I'm glad he doesn't have a Bolo tie. They're fine for certain outfits, but not for this one.

I much prefer The Twelfth Doctor not wear any kind of tie at all. Not only for the sympolism, but sometimes it nice to have the sparseness. Less is more and all of that.

17. Artimac

Artimac Ensign Newbie

It does look a bit plain but the outfit will evolve with the character so let's not get too cheesed off just yet.

18. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's funny that you should mention that because a while back when Peter Capaldi appeared on The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson and Craig made several jokes about Peter Capaldi jacket and how it looked like a magicians coat.

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, I think it'll come down to how he plays it. Davison was one of my favorite Doctor's of classic series but his costume is rather dull, at least to me. But, I loved how he played the role. Probably the same here.

A higher colar on Capaldi's coat would've been cool too. One that folds up to go right under his ears.

Mr Awe

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  20. Mr. Adventure

As I see the pictures it's growing on me a bit. I'm still not crazy about the coat itself but I like the silhouette. The whole look gives Capaldi a bit of lean and mean appearance.