Telek R'Mor's Age?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Jo Trott, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Jo Trott

Jo Trott Ensign Newbie

In the Voyager episode Eye of the Needle Telek R'Mor does not look old. However he says that in 20 years he would be an old man. Vulcans and Romulans share a common physiology and Vulcans live a very long time. Since 20 years is not a very long time in terms of a Vulcan lifetime, why are we then expected to believe that it would be for Telek R'Mor? Elderly Vulcans appear to age in outwardly appearance in the same way humans do. If Telek R'Mor is so old that he would be an old man in 20 years then why doesn't he appear to be advancing in years eg. no gray hair or visible wrinkles? I can't even find anyone else asking this question. Does anyone have an explanation?

2. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my favourite episodes. I can't help with the age question. My impression was that although he had a fathered a child born while he was away on mission he was a middle-aged dad?? That is just an impression though.

That he died before the 20 years (four years short) is hard to know if that was age related.

Anyway hope someone can enlighten you more.

Jo Trott likes this.
  3. Jo Trott

Jo Trott Ensign Newbie

A middle aged Vulcan or Romulan would be well over 100 years old though wouldn't they? I don't see 20 years making either of those "an old man" as he stated. It seems to me that it was an error by the script writer thinking in terms of human lifespans and not Romulan's which adds yet another disappointment to my estimation of the Voyager franchise. :'(

4. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well in TOS, Sarek was over a 100 and I assume was considered middle age. He was a bit over 200 in TNG and starting to suffer the ravages of old age.

Jo Trott likes this.
  5. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe that's the way he thinks of himself, not necessarily how his society at large would. One example in our world is pro athletes. Depending on the sport, the same athlete may be in his prime or ancient at the same chronological age.

Women also used to be thought of as old at the age of 25 if they weren't married by then.

Jo Trott likes this.
  6. Jo Trott

Jo Trott Ensign Newbie

I like your answer Laura. I can accept that and it makes me feel better about the whole situation even if it doesn't fit perfectly. Thank you.