Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Taylirious, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Two words,

Taydolf Switler

GARMY STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I put up ten songs that I like! I classied up the thread with real music! :bolian:

3. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

The perception that she outs her past love interests in a mean spirited and publicly humiliating way is the core of her problem. Once you've established a reason for people to dislike you, they will pour on the additional vituperation like gravy be it logical or not. Throw in anonymity and the position of relative safety that the internet provides, you then see people vent their frustration on one another. I guess one can call it a twisted form of therapy.

4. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh! :lol: You like those artists and that is fine, I like a lot of other stuff other than Taylor swift, it isn't about that. My point is I don't get why people go out their way to bash her. I forgot that is a thing on the internet. I would personally focus on things I enjoy and I do. :mallory:

10 Taylor Songs I LUV!

1. If This Was A Movie
    2. Sparks Fly
    3. Enchanted
    4. Love Story
    5. Superman
    6. Today Was A Fairytale
    7. Eyes Open
    8. I Almost Do
    9. State Of Grace
    T. Never Grow Up

All quite different from "boyfriend bashing". :mallory:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  5. HaventGotALife

I think there's some misconceptions about my argument. Because something is happy and fun, doesn't mean that it is ALWAYS profound, either. It depends on the song. And I have some Taylor Swift on my Spotify playlists. "Our Song" which is brilliant for a 14-year-old songwriter, and "Ours" which is a gay anthem as a far as I am concerned (and how I'm using it).

My complaint with her is that she doesn't sound good to me. My complaint is that she has three songs (I'm Happy to be young, my boyfriend broke up with me, I found love) and keeps writing them over and over again. My complaint is that she has won awards and become the top-selling Country artist the past two years. My problem with that is that artists who reach that plateau, whether songwriters themselves or not, do music that has more substance. By substance, I mean a deeper subject matter than the one she portrays. More emotive performances, a more mature subject matter, some relevance to them outside of their immediate concerns.

Her foray into pop doesn't bother me as long as she gets out of country music. When I hear "22," I'm afraid the CMAs will give her "Single of the Year" with that Justin Bieber-like song.

To put in a sentence, she hasn't grown up as a lyricist, a vocalist, or a performer. She still sounds like a teenager who has never been in love, who has never been truly heart-broken, who has never had to do without anything she didn't want in this life. I don't know if she has experienced those things, but that is what her music sounds like. There's no soul, there's no expression of the inner workings of the human condition. Depravity, privation, loss, pain, passion, love--it's all missing.

Take "22," for instance. Where is the money coming from to dress like a hipster? To stay out and take a break from life? What is she taking a break from? If she can't write about love and loss in a way that doesn't make me feel like she's still a teenager, then hire someone who can.

I expect her to be a better artist than that.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as she doesn't name names, what's the problem? :confused:

7. Taylirious

I am happy with how she is. :shrug:

8. HaventGotALife

Good Song!

9. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

It shouldn't be a problem, but some people seem to take it personal. Hopefully the sentiment fades, she's not the devil after all.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

I guess I have no problem with her, but like I said I take a rather dim view of country artists who sell out and go pop. Traditional country music isn't dead! :p

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Was she ever all that "traditional"? Why is it "selling out" if she ( or anyone ) goes more pop?

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Because real country artists don't get any airplay anymore, it would seem.

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

For the last twenty years, what has been called "country" by most people has basically been "songs that kinda sound like Hotel California".

As far as I'm concerned, the last time country music has felt vivid and interesting was during the short-lived "alt.country" movement.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Sad, but true. :(

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Taylor Swift going pop won't change that. She wasn't exactly real country when she started.

16. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Face like a horse and music that sounds like a rabid badger being eviscerated.

17. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Taylor Swift has a face like a horse? For a second I thought I accidentally clicked on a thread about Sarah Jessica Parker.

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

All music is real music.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Except for Milli Vanilli.

20. Taylirious

Face like a horse? WTF!?!? I'd consider my self lucky to end up with a lady as half as beautiful as Taylor Swift...and Sarah Jessica Parker?!?! :adore:

ETA: Why You Gotta Be So Mean?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYa1eI1hpDE[/yt]

:)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013