Tarantino and Abrams to Do Next Trek Movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Maurice, Dec 5, 2017.

1. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know you'll disagree with me on this, but I think the main reason for Beyond's "failure" is Into Darkness.

Yes it got good reviews, and did okay at the box office, but I think it's a very generic and forgettable movie. I think it turned a lot of the general audience's attitude towards these new ST films as "meh."

Aside from the Beastie Boys trailer, I actually think a lot of the marketing for Beyond was pretty good. The problem is that first impressions are what sticks in the head of movie consumers, and having the BB trailer debut first was a huge mistake IMO. Had they reversed the release order of the first two trailers, I don't think it would have been an issue.

2. johnjm22

Hard to say. It will definitely be interesting to find out what his idea is.

I do know that Tarantino is big on actor/character consistency. He personally boycotted Mad Max Fury Road because Mel Gibson wasn't playing Mad Max. One of QT's main criticisms of Into Darkness was Cumberbatch not resembling/imitating Montalban's Khan.

3. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you ask my opinion, there are aspects I prefer stid over beyond, and viceversa some where I prefer beyond..but in the end, it is beyond that is considered the most forgettable and safe movie of the 3. Even by critics who liked it. This transcends our opinions and feelings about it, and it would be/is irresponsible and naive for the creative team to ignore it.

I don't agree with this blaming stid for beyond's failure because I don't co-sign a fan-spread internet rumor about that movie being the most hated thing, or the worst of the 3 for the audience, because it clashes with facts saying otherwise.
    And I don't agree with blaming beyond's failure on bad promotion only because, like I said before, 1) promotion still adequately promoted it using what the creative team itself had created 2) blaming promotion (and thus the ones who handle it) means playing oblivious over the issues the movie has and that people had actually voiced. Again, even in good reviews.
    And again, many seem to be unable to take into consideration the fact even good reviews may have not been so encouraging to potential viewers and that may be because of what those reviews were saying too (e.g., if reviews keep talking about tos nostalgia and how it looks like a tos episode rather than a sequel of the first two, no one says the general audience will collectively find in that a reason to get excited. This is nothing new because even when stid got released, some critics warned about how much the tos nostalgia and fan service might have alienated the very audience that JJ's first movie captured)

The movie has issues no less than stid. This team does have responsibility for their own movie no less than the first creative team and they should take it. Giving them a pass and pretending that beyond is perfect but misuranderstood or 'unlucky', and thus some issues don't exist, may be playing it nice towards lin&co but if those in power do that too then they are truly hopeless because if you don't understand what might have not worked for your audience, how can you even expect to make another movie that will do better.

For me promotion was bad as it didn't make me excited, but it was honest in that 90% of the impressions I got of the movie were correct. Promotion didn't lie, however I'll concede it didn't take full advantage of everything the movie offered and perhaps, from my perspective and the stuff I liked, it kind of made it seems the movie was worse in some aspects than how it really was. Pegg&co are to blame for that too though because their own interviews lacked balance and were repetitive. I also looked at the press kit and honestly, they gave too little to the press to use...and I understand why some sites struggled promoting the movie as anything more than a tos fanfiction where pegg&co replaced the rushed k/s 'bromance' from stid with spock/bones homage and pandering to Urban's complains. They wasted casting someone like Elba too.

Again, few seem to take it into consideration that even the concept of good promotion is relative because what may be exciting to some fans, may be the opposite to others. That's why balance is key and you shouldn't focus on only one or two aspects of a movie IMO.
    In the end, you do still have a silent majority who didn't voice their opinions on the internet like us, but still made their opinion obvious by not using their money for beyond. And I'm not saying everyone of those people must have my same reasons for not being 100% happy about beyond, and my thinking it wasn't what I expected when I watched the first movie, but perhaps my own experience makes me at least take into consideration the simple possibility that what the general audience and reboot fans who liked the first two wanted wasn't what beyond gave them neither in promotion nor ultimately in the movie itself. The only thing I blame promotion for is a lack of balance that maybe made it so that a lot of people who shared my worries for example didn't even watch when, maybe, if they did they'd see, like I saw, that it wasn't perfect as a movie but still not as bad as it seemed..and it still does have many good aspects and elements to appreciate and that could make fans of the first two still happy.

4. johnjm22

When you're doing a series of movies, the previous installment always has an effect on how much hype/anticipation there is for the following installment.

I'm not saying STID is the only reason for this iteration of ST running out of gas so quickly, but I think it's a big contributer. There's a lot we agree on, and I think your critisisms of Beyond are valid.

5. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Tarantino could make the first Meta Trek movie. Let's not forget he killed Hitler in a movie theater. I could see him having Pine and Shatner team up on a mission and recast everyone else or a few of them. Heck he could open the movie with Shatner playing himself as he narrates the story while riding a horse.

Jason

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Shatnering "Sabotage."

7. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

8. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It'll be fun to (hopefully) read the scripts they don't choose one day.

DaddlerTheDalek and pst like this.
  10. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope Pegg's script is not the one chosen because of the constant Trek cliche's from the last film. The Enterprise docking in a space station ala TSFS, the ship getting destroyed in the same film. I fear Pegg's script is time travel because The Voyage Home was just that! Pegg's scripts in general tends to spoof other filmmakers properties like Lethal Weapon, and 28 days Later, and he's brilliant at it but I want someone to write a script which is less formulaic and more adventurous. Also, the cast is looking old and I think it would best to try something a little different. Beyond didn't do well, and it's not from poor marketing, because of poor word of mouth of the film.

Tarantino makes fun films and I'm in with the idea he tackles Star Trek.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder just how many big story beats in Beyond (or any other Trek movie) come from the writers or higher up. Anyone who's seen The Death of Superman Lives will know what kind of weird stuff studio executives will demand be put into a movie.

12. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

The cast never seems to know anything concrete but just seem to reiterate the main points that they see online like the rest of us....things the fandom already knows.

On one hand, all the acting talent seems ecstatic at the idea of working with Tarantino. On the other hand, they know one of their colleagues has already written one and has pitched another one. They need to be careful to not complicate their relationships with Pegg by being dismissive of his pitch.

But it's clear that everyone from Zachary Quinto to Urban to Patrick Stewart is dying to be in a Tarantino-Trek film.

DaddlerTheDalek and Khan 2.0 like this.
  13. Jayson1

If they did do Pegg's script I wonder if he could get Edgar Wright to direct the movie. Wouldn't be as good as Tarantino because he is the most talented filmmaker in the buiness today except maybe Martin Scorsese but he wouldn't be chopped liver, either. I would love to see them do a Trek comedy. I would prefer it to be a followup to a Tarantino movie which would just be perfect. Do a hardcore R rated Trek movie then follow it up with a comedy. Of course then follow that up with a Wes Anderson Trek movie and you would then have 3 Trek movies with 3 distinct styles that are like nothing we have seen in Trek, before.

Jason

14. M-Red

As long as we're daydreaming, I'll play... :)

Tarantino -- Klingon time-travel shoot 'em up

Spielberg -- wondrous adventure about new civilizations and the human spirit

Nolan -- Kirk and Crew face the Borg

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  15. Jayson1

It might not be to much of a dream. First Trek got Abrams who is a nerd God though he is little like George Lucas and Roddenberry and you sometimes think he doesn't deserve that status. If you then get Tarantino then it opens the door up for other big name talent to be willing to maybe do a Trek movie. No longer do you have to hope a tv guy and a unknown like Harve Bennett and NIck Meyer can save the day. If Tarantino makes a movie of his usual caliber it can change everything for the franchise.

Jason

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  16. M-Red

Completely agree, @Jayson1

I want QT to take the reins of Star Trek because I think he'll make an amazing film. But I also want QT precisely because it will open doors to more creative leadership possibilities in the future while opening Trek to a wider audience.

Rahul and Khan 2.0 like this.
  17. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

18. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

QT noted in some of the articles posted in Dec/Jan when a writer was announced his timeline for possibly directing - had the Manson movie up next, wanted to direct 1 more movie after, n Trek could be it.

He might not direct, but he seemed to want to. Regardless if his script is picked up his vision would move forward

Think the other script floating out there now that Pegg stated he's not writing one would be the derivative of the rejected ST Beyond script invloving George Kirk etc. that JJ noted when Beyond hit theaters

19. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i think you're right and i think that script may be wrapped up in studio politics since these were the same writers attached to the aborted third film under orci before he was removed. it may be that they are fulfilling a contract by writing this script, not actually working towards a prospective production.

20. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In other news, actors know nothing.
    At least Chris Pine always admits he's the least to know anything lol