News Tales of the Jedi, new animated shorts anthology series.

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Reverend, Apr 28, 2022.

?

What era would you most like to see new Jedi centric stories from?

1. Pre-Republic (but less silly than Dawn of the Jedi)

31.8%
  2. Golden Age of the Jedi (before the Sith schism)

36.4%
  3. The Sith Wars (various)

40.9%
  4. Fall of the Old Republic (and the Rise of Darth Bane)

45.5%
  5. Early Galactic Republic (Post Sith Empire reconstruction era)

31.8%
  6. High Republic (a more civilized age)

22.7%
  7. Pre-Prequels (Young Padawan Kenobi on Mandalore anyone?)

22.7%
  8. Skywalker Era (from Clone Wars to First Order)

31.8%
  9. Some time beyond! (only less emo than Legacy o fthe Jedi)

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe TCW is longer than these. You might find what you're looking for.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah Clone Wars is a full 26-28 minute cartoon.

3. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although I enjoyed Episode 4, the six episodes from this series seemed to solely focus on Count Dooku and Ahsoka Tano. That's it. And it's called "Tales of the Jedi"?:shrug:

In Lucas' original story, Dooku had fallen to evil after Qui-Gon's death. Why did Dave Filoni and Disney thought it was necessary to change the timeline? For what purpose?

The Chosen One IS Anakin Skywalker . . . not Luke Skywalker, not Ahsoka Tano and not Rey. It's Anakin Skywalker. George Lucas has confirmed this. Knowing Disney, it will probably make an attempt to completely change this. I swear . . . I sometimes wish Lucas had never sold the franchise to Disney Studios.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

See the last page.

5. Dee1891

I read the last page. I found nothing that gave a satisfactory reason why Disney Lucasfilm had changed Dooku's timeline, in regard to when he finally joined the Sith.

6. fireproof78

Which is hilarious after the poor reception for the Prequels (at the time, none of the revisionism that's going on now) there was demands for Lucas to sell to Disney and to redo the PT.

Hilarious to watch fan reactions shift.
    Where was this stated? The difficulty with Lucas' story is that it changes rather frequently and creates difficulties in figuring that out. Especially in ATOC when he rewrote the script and editing order multiple times, so much so that John Williams filed a complaint because he couldn't figure out a score because the sequences kept changing.

If Filoni changed it then I imagine he had some conversation with Lucas about Dooku that gave him the idea.

7. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Due to the timing needed for the production of the Clone Army. Dooku needs to have slippery-slopped his way into Palpatine's plans by The Phantom Menace. That his fall to the Dark Side is completed by the death of Qui-Gon Jinn is the final straw. Like with Anakin, his siding with Palpatine and his reasonings for giving in to his darker nature are setup long before his actual fall. And the fall is mostly just Palpatine pulling on existing emotions to lure the Jedi into a line of thinking that will cause them to get too invested in what he needs done and once that Jedi does too much, they will think they have gone too far and cannot come back...thus "I am afraid it is too late" and "What have I done?" reactions of said Jedi followed by becoming a Sith Lord moments later.

The Clone Army was commissioned by Syfo-Dyas. He was then killed, Dooku took his codes. Wiped the Archives of Kamino. Fell to the Dark Side. Gained the name "Darth Tyrannus". Found Jango Fett and recruited him to be the template for the Army. Kamino starts producing clones. Ten years later, the first groups of Clone Trooper are ready for action and Boba Fett is a few months over nine years old. In order for Boba and the Army to have been created almost immediately after the Battle of Naboo, the wheels had to already be turning for Dooku to be Tyrannus rather than a fall starting when Qui-Gon dies. Qui-Gon dying has to be the final straw to get Dooku into a Sith Lord, but already be in with Palpatine leading up to the Battle of Naboo.

8. fireproof78

Yup. The timing of it is such that the army has to be being created near the Naboo crisis, otherwise AOTC doesn't work, since they are very specific it's been ten years since the last film, and ten years since the start of the army's creation.

9. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Also the Sarlacc did Boba up a number to look how he does in the Book of Boba Fett. Because Boba Fett was born not long after the Battle of Naboo. Thus, by The Book of Fett, Boba is round 40 years old. Though, like Indy said, "it's not the years, honey. It's the mileage".

Turtletrekker likes this.
  10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Source?

And the current canon has said Anakin is a Chosen One as well.
    Mind you the source that said that came out before TROS.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's never a good idea with Star Wars to get too precious about the timeline. There's a reason they've avoided creating a dating system, and in most stories (especially this one) there's enough wiggle room that events could be more spread out than they seem.

For example, in TCW when they find Sifo-Dias' shuttle late in season 6, they're still referring to those events happening only 10 years ago, even though they're several years into the Clone Wars and if one is being precise it should be more like 11 or 12 at minimum. Even the episode directly contradicts this strict view on the timing by having Dooku refer to the events of AotC taking place "all those years ago." So to me, when someone says "ten years ago" offhandedly, I'm inclined to give that several years grace in either direction.

But yeah, even so the wheels had to have been in motion well before the events of TPM for any of it to make sense and so far they seem to be hewing to that idea. Personally I like the idea that Palpatine deliberately timed these two plots to kick off around the same time in hopes that the Jedi would be too distracted by Naboo to pay too close attention to the Dooku and Sifo-Dias situation. That may indeed have been the whole point of allowing Maul to reveal himself, knowing that sending him up against two Jedi could cost him his apprentice (which is an acceptable risk because he has Dooku in the wings already.) Wheels within wheels.

So the idea that Dooku didn't fall to the dark side until after Qui-Gon's death is a perfectly reasonably take on the version of events we see here. It's at least as valid as the idea that Anakin didn't fall to the dark side until RotS, and he did WAY worse things prior to his fall than Dooku did before his (so far as we know.)

12. Dee1891

Considering I'm a fan of the Prequels and that the films actually have a large fanbase, I find this opinion hard to swallow. And if Disney ever decide to redo the PT, I will never watch another Disney Star Wars production again. I also stand by my opinion regarding Lucas' decision to sell the franchise to Disney.

13. Set Harth

Ugh. I looked at the transcript and it's as you say. The episode simultaneously acts like TPM is ten years ago - which would only be true if it took place immediately after AOTC - yet Geonosis is "all those" years ago. Why is the prequel timeline so hard for some people to get right?

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just a case of people generalizing. It's common for someone to refer to something from eleven or twelve years ago as "ten years ago"/"a decade ago." And likewise, even if you're referring to something from two years ago, if they've been particularly active years (which two years of open warfare would certainly qualify as) one might say "all those years ago" to emphasize that from their perspective it does feel like it's been several years as opposed to only a couple that it's been in reality.

When people speak, they do not always mean the literal interpretation of their words.

Reverend likes this.
  15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

16. fireproof78

Well they should! Especially in fiction!

;)

Commander Troi and The Wormhole like this.
  17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was kinda my point.
    Wookiepedia editorial decisions don't actually mean anything. I've long since given up bothering to read the main body text in most articles, especially for broad subjects trying to condense dozens, if not hundreds of sources down into something even vaguely coherent. The 'Appearances', 'References' and 'Behind the Scenes' and generally the only useful sources of information, and even then, articles are just tools for researching sources, not sources in and of themselves. That way lies madness!

So yeah if you can pick apart the overlapping citations, check what each relevant source actually says on the subject, good luck!

18. Set Harth

But if Valorum sent Sifo to the Pykes - meaning Valorum was still in power at that point - and Sifo was promptly killed at the behest of Dooku, doesn't that imply Dooku fell to the dark side before Qui-Gon's death?

19. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I enjoyed these very much! As someone who didn't like the PT, I really appreciated the backstory on Dooku and his fall. As someone who hasn't seen Clone Wars (bad fan! no merchandise!), I appreciated the backstory on Ahsoka too.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Welp, I watched the Dooku shorts, and they're awful. Flat characters standing around on flat surfaces, alternately spouting duller exposition and simply stating their points of view in monotone, then they twirl their lightsabers for a bit, then it's over. Have you ever wondered how Dooku deleted Kamino from the archives? Turns out he went into a room and... deleted Kamino from the archives. Mind blown! :barf: