Sydney Tamiia Poitier has already auditioned for Uhura?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrelaneRetired, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mr. Spock, take us oot of the system. Warp Zed!

2. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're thinking like a westerner. Which is not surprising because most of us ARE westerners here.

The fact that they (ALLEGEDLY) have cast an actual RUSSIAN as Chekov... if TRUE... tells me that they at least "get" that part.

One of the most ANNOYING elements of latter-day Trek has been that everyone in the series... including the ALIENS... have been so quintessentially LOS ANGELINO TYPES.

There's a whole world outside of Southern California, and it's really obnoxious... REALLY obnoxious... that the entire future of humanity (and all alien worlds, it seems) is portrayed as being the triumph of SoCal culture over the universe! ;)

I'd love to see an African because that would show respect for the fact that African is not the same as African-American. To do otherwise is to imply... whether intentionally or through basic callousness... that SoCal culture will inevitably overcome and wipe out native African culture.

Like I said before, I've been there, and while there are aspects of life there that I don't care for... there are also aspects of life there that I respect deeply... even LOVE. I'd just prefer seeing a film like this done in a way that isn't so "California-centric," that's all.

Or, as Dennis said above... occasionally "Toronto-Centric." :)

3. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

they should make Uhura a white, heavyset male

4. Adagio

Adagio Captain Captain

John Goodman?! :wtf:

5. Sulu_Love_child

Sulu_Love_child Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

5'11" is too tall for the part.
    Halle Barre may be too old for the part.

6. Triptacular

Triptacular Captain Captain

Absolutely, the cast sheet says she should be 25ish.

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, she wasn't convincing as the African Ororo/Storm in X-Men (such that they dropped her accent in the next movie).

i would love to have an actual African actress, who can speak a language (and not necessarily Swahili...Nigeria for example, has dozens of dialects), and be able to use it.

If we were doing a new series, or introducing a new character, then i'd definitely wouldlike them to consider multi-racial people (my daughter would be great -- but i'm biased :rolleyes: )