Surely something good happened to you today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Aug 21, 2018.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Our printing business recently relocated to a small office on the 16th floor of a very posh, high-security building. It's way better than the old place -- quiet, no walk-in customers, no distractions. Much easier to get work done.

The bad news: We ordered a new compact paper cutter via Evilbay. The cutter that arrived was the wrong voltage (230V, 50Hz). The good news: We bought a voltage converter for less than $50, and this morning the machine was working like a charm.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  2. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Had lunch with a couple of good friends today and while we were lunching, another couple of friends came by to say hi.

3. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Risotto is a lot creamier in texture. I love it, too, but don't often make it because of the babysitting it needs with the stirring. This rice was awfully nice, though, especially for a throw it in the pot and let it do its thing deal.

4. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

nothing happened that was good.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Work put out yet another last-minute call for people to apply for promotions. There's only one more level I can go up in my job--I've applied for it twice already and never got it. They always say it's because they only have a few slots to fill. So, they sent out an email today and I replied to it right away with my little "letter of interest," and then emailed a buddy at work (who already has that job) that it was yet another long shot, but I was going to do it anyway. She actually called me (instead of our usual email) and she had just sent in a recommendation for me. That made me feel better. Even if I don't get the promotion, to know that the other people there think I could do it means a lot.

6. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We went to the water park in Blackpool. An amazing time was had by all. Fantastic.

And now I have that tiredly ache that you only get by spending several hours in chlorinated water. The wallet’s a lot lighter mind, but worth it for their little faces.

7. Obsidian7

Obsidian7 Commander Red Shirt

I discovered that I can record a pay per view sporting event on my digital tv box. Originally, I though it was only possible after purchasing the event through my tv remote.

I'd checked the box office on my tv all week and couldn't order it that way. The box office was unavailable. So, I purchased through the channel website instead, and accepted the fact that I could only watch it. Then, the ppv showed up on my tv listings today and the option to record. It was a nice surprise.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Hubby gave me a new tablet to replace my old KindleFire that died awhile back. However, he forgot what size it was and got me a 7 inch instead of an 8 inch tablet. I'm fine with it. It will be easier to fit it in my bag when we travel. But now I don't have a cover for it, so I'll put that on my wishlist for later.

Avro Arrow and Gary Mitchell like this.
  9. PSGarak

We woke up before the sun today without alarms or feeling tired, packed in a little breakfast, and took it out to the lake to eat while the sun came up. Late summer crickets were in full serenade along with the birds and a woodpecker providing the percussion. It was beautiful.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I got to try kangraroo yesterday.

There's a bar in Boston called the Tip Tap Room which has wild game specials and a great rotating craft beer selection. Yesterday their wild game special was kangaroo and venison mixed grill. It was very delicious.

11. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

YAY! After 4 months the tea & sweets shop reopened yesterday =) I'll get myself a few pounds of soul food (and soul drink!) after work.

12. Butters

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just checked the baseball schedules...I may be able to get an extra game out of my upcoming trip to San Francisco.

I leave on Sunday, and my flight gets into SFO at like 8 in the morning (it leaves Omaha at 6 AM - I should probably just give up all hope of getting any sleep the night before :lol: ). The Giants don't have a day game that day, but the Athletics do. So assuming my flight is on time, I can just take BART to Oakland and get an extra game in. Will probably even have enough time to get a decent breakfast in SF! :techman:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  14. Butters

After not generating any cash at all over the last couple of months, my monetised blog has registered another $0.08 in the last two days. That’s $0.39 to date. Only another $99.61 to go and Wordpress will pay out. :beer:

15. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The 3rd disc, season 1 from my B5 set does not work. So I was able to get it from our library and finally get to watch it :)

rhubarbodendron and PSGarak like this.
  16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I had feared I had lost my business cell phone somewhere in the country but found it this morning in the car. (pheew)
    I'll stick a reflecting strip on it first thing on monday - a black phone in a black glove compound is just too well camouflaged..

PSGarak, Gary Mitchell and Butters like this.
  17. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Ditto

18. PSGarak

I was able to take care of everything that had lagged behind at work over the last couple of weeks due to our short staffing, and it was glorious. Of course nothing really ever stays caught up, and it's an ongoing effort, but man did it feel good to check off all those little boxes in my head.

19. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This may seem at first like a frustration. But since I can't stop laughing about it, I posted it here instead. So back story. The season 1 set of B5 I have the 3rd disc does not work. Our library has sales on books and dvds and such every once in a while. So I thought I would go and try my luck. And would you believe there it was B5 the whole first season. For only $5! I was so happy. The force was with me. Then I looked at it and found it was in Chinese! No kidding...I think the force has a crazy sense of humor. I decided not to get it :)

20. PSGarak

I'm new to cooking buckwheat groats. The instructions on the package followed to the letter made them turn out so mushy I almost gagged and could not eat that first serving. Today through experimentation I solved the mushy problem and enjoyed them with the rest of my meal.