Spoilers Supernatural season 14

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by auntiehill, Oct 12, 2018.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

OK, we are finally back to a new season. Lots of set-up here: Nick, the former host of Lucifer, is being kept by Sam & Co. Jack is trying to deal with not having any powers and Michael is going around asking "What do you want?'
    I really liked the set-up, getting the lay of the land. I thought Sam was the weakest part -- I found his big moment to be less than inspiring.

I liked the little moments between Mary and alt -Bobby ( they're so cute!) and Cad trying to mentor Jack.

Can't wait to see more!

2. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was actually bored watching tonight. The whole bar fight just felt tired, everyone looked tired. And boy did they depower Cass. He should of been able to take a few demons out being a Seraph and all. Just hate how they have weaken him.
    The whole crew working with Sam is going to be hard to deal with cause as I loved our Bobby, this one just boring as he has no connection to Dean and Sam and just feels out of place. Rest of the team is just blah and since its been just Sam and Dean for so long, to see them with a group just makes it feel watered down.
    But like you said this was more set up than anything but boy I hope they don't keep Dean away for too long cause I feel the show only works when Dean an Sam are together hunting. If this is going to be Sam hunting with this crew then I just wait till show hits Netflix and watch it all at once.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was weird how they spoiled not-Lucifer's return with an ad that cross-promoted Supernatural with the upcoming Halloween movie, especially since they left him off the credits.

Farscape One likes this.
  4. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

LOVED how they got Bon Scott era AC/DC song in!

Interesting episode.

Clearly, angels are a major arc for the season, given the title card. I wonder if some will be recreated or new angels created to help keep Heaven working.

Theory of mine... is it possible to give a human an angel's grace to make them an angel? Or maybe a soul in Heaven, give it a grace or turn one into an angel? I have a mental image of our universe Bobby getting his wings. He would be a Surly Seraphim.

Sam fits into the leader role well. It's about time that side of him has been allowed to flourish. And I think the beard suits him.

And loved how Sam said there will be no king of Hell. The demons clearly fear him, and at this in the series, they definitely should.

So Jack's grace will recharge eventually, per what Castiel says. I think being powerless will actually make him far more effective in the long run.

And Lucifer died, but the archangel blade spared Nick. Interesting. I wonder if that is normal or if it is because it was from the alternate universe... at least, I am inclined to believe that since it was Michael's. Don't remember if it was ever stated. If so, what about Gabriel's suit?

And if Jack's grace will recharge, does that mean Lucifer might come back, since he stole so much of Jack's?

And Michael. I was reminded of the Shadows from BABYLON 5 when he kept asking everyone, "What do you want?" Could he have a similar philosophy, creating a better world through chaos and conflict? The fact he asks even killers, and at least what looks like one vampire, that question makes me wonder if that is his goal.

Good setup for the season.

auntiehill likes this.
  5. tnpir4002

tnpir4002 Commander Red Shirt

This was an interesting opener...but I have to agree the whole bar fight thing seemed a little contrived.

I mean, I find it hard to believe even a roomful of demons could take on Cas that easily--what happened to his being a seraphim? What happened to his powers?

I will say it was kind of refreshing not to see a new king of hell just drop right into place, since I think re-hashing the Crowley storyline (as much as I love the character and the actor who played him) would be a mistake. All the same...aren't we due for a return to Hell? Feels like it's been years since we saw what's actually going on down there.

That aside, YAY for seeing "angel vision." Normally it's a letdown when we see these things that we've been imagining all this time, but I think they did this one right. It's very interesting to see how "supernatural perception" (as the wiki puts it) actually works. After the tease of how demonic X-ray vision works (remember Drexel when he was examining Lucifer's vessel?), it's neat to see the angelic version too.

My only gripe with this episode is that we got as little of Apocalypse Michael as we did. Jensen's portrayal was delightfully creepy, and I'd have loved to see more. I also hope his line about helping with the angel situation wasn't just a throwaway line--it'd be interesting to see exactly how he could help when even Lucifer couldn't.

Speculation: based on the trailer (is anyone annoyed that we're getting promos for other shows when CW is supposed to be previewing next week's episode?) available on YouTube for 14x02, Michael's master plan could involve him mixing his grace with vampire blood to spawn a new race of either super-vamps or...maybe angels? Going to be interesting to see where that goes.

6. auntiehill

Oh HELL yes, I'm annoyed. They said stayed tuned for a preview and then had an add for ANOTHER show. Argh.

That said... vampire angels? Vampgels or Angpires?

Can't wait for next week's episode. I really want to see more of Michael's plan.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, that was a nice opener and really set things up nicely for the season, I think. We've got a lot going on.

For a long time, I've wanted to see the Men of Letters revived as a hybrid of MOL and Hunters, and it looks like I finally got my wish-- I never expected it to be staffed by refugees from an alternate universe, but what the hell. Alt-Bobby seems to be a regular now, which is kind of cool-- better than no Bobby at all-- and I'm glad Mom Winchester is back. I wonder if the alt-universe supernumeraries will be regulars as well. Jack seems to have become the third Winchester brother, which is also fine. I like him well enough. And it's good that he's been depowered, because he was just too powerful before-- I won't mind if his grace recovers a bit, but hopefully he won't return to his prior levels. On the other hand, like everybody else, I am confused about Cass. Am I forgetting something from last year? Does he have no powers at all now?

I got a kick out of the latest wannabe King of Hell who didn't even last an episode. And I loved Sam's fed-up speech that there will be no more Kings of Hell, causing a roomful of demons to flee. He is the Fonz of the supernatural world. :rommie:

The big surprise was that Lucy's vessel, Nick, is still around. I can't wait to see how he fits into things. Is he going to become a resource for the new MOL, a Hunter, a casualty, re-integrated into his former life, set up with a new identity in the MOL Protection Program, or is his presence the ominous foreshadowing of Lucifer's return?

And, of course, in the background, we have Dapper Dean hosting the creepy presence of Michael who wants to "make a better world." I suppose "making Earth great again" would have been too on the nose. It will be interesting to see exactly what a better world looks like to him and how his seemingly random questioning of humans and monsters relates.

Well, I did see The Big Empty, or whatever it's called, in "The Road So Far," which may be foreshadowing.

Good question. It would have to be a different kind of Angel, I think. Demons are made from dead people, but, if I remember rightly, all the Angels we've ever seen are from an entirely different creation event, prior to the one involving humans.

8. Farscape One

Unless all the other angels start having children with humans and make more Nephilims. That would be one way to repopulate the angels to keep Heaven powered.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  9. auntiehill

Angels can only be made by God...or so they've said. I imagine that Chuck will have to reappear at some point. I also wonder if Gabriel is coming back, since they also showed him in the recap.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was much better than I was expecting. I'm glad that the writers are finally filling out the Men of Letters with a team of hunters. Most of the focus is on the characters we already know or love (or at least their alternate versions), but I really liked Maggie. I hope she sticks around and grows as a hunter. Nick was also a pleasant surprise -- I miss Lucifer, but I was mostly upset by his death because I thought we were losing Mark Pellegrino. Of course I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucifer somehow come back eventually.

11. tnpir4002

Theory about Lucifer based on the hints we've gotten so far (remember Pellegrino dropped that hint about "nephilim grace" at that convention?).

I think Lucifer really and truly is dead...which means he's in The Empty. Nick is exactly who and what he says--a vacated archangel vessel. But when the time comes to face down Michael, they're going to need another archangel to wield the blade, which means Jack (who will be fully re-powered by then) will reach out to The Empty and somehow get Lucifer back, at which point he'll need a vessel...which Nick can no doubt provide.

(Why Lucifer and not the other two archangels, I have no idea.)

Alternate theory: because he was super-charged with Jack's grace, Lucifer actually survived the stabbing, and he's laying low while he figures out what to do next. There were some bits of dialogue in "Nick's" scene that I interpret as potential hints that they're actually talking to Lucifer, not Nick...and regardless of what happened in "Swan Song" back in season 5, I find it hard to believe Nick's original personality suddenly resurfaced now. Not quite sure how Lucifer could fit into a storyline that, in my mind, far more probably leads to a Michael-Alt!Michael showdown later in the year, unless they'll need Lucifer's power to counteract something Alt!Michael is doing. (Supercharging vamps with his grace would seem to fit that bill.)

12. Farscape One

Raphael was blown apart by monster soul powered Castiel, and Gabriel appears to have been killed by alternate Michael.

Our Michael is still in the Cage, and in no shape to do anything, according to Lucifer back in season 11. Whether he was truthful or not is unknown, but I imagine he is definitely mentally off his rocker for sure.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm sure they'd have no shortage of volunteers, but talk about something that has the potential to blow up in their faces. :rommie:

14. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

That was the worst season premiere they've ever done. It was flat out boring. Last season was good but I don't have high hopes for this one based on how it's started. Getting rid of Dean was a dumb move. He's the best character. I'm so over Cas. Just kill him off already. He's useless.

Snick27 likes this.
  15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Dean will be back in a few episodes. The Demon Dean arc lasted 4 episodes I think. with a shortened season and episode 300 coming up I don't see Dean being Michael for too long.

16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shortening the Demon Dean arc was such a waste. I was so looking forward to a season of Dean and Crowley on a road trip while Sam and Cas finally spend some time together. But noooo, the writers had to wimp out and push the reset button to restore the status quo. I hope that the writers realized their mistake and will keep Michael in Dean for a good chunk of the season.

17. tnpir4002

I think we all agree they wasted the golden opportunity that was Demon Dean, but everything I've read suggests they've learned their lesson. They said Michael is sticking around a lot longer, but since they've also said that Dean will be back soon, my hunch is we're going to start seeing Dean's inner struggle with Michael, but the archangel is going to keep Dean's vessel for a while, probably at least up to the mid-season finale in the winter.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You ever read TV Line commenters when something big shakes up a show? They sure lose their mind when shows are anything but status quo. Must be CBS viewers who figured out how to change the channel.

19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I see Micheal is actually Mr Morden now. :) Better keep a eye out for Shadows. Don't worry though I am sure their is some good slash fiction being worked on right now where Dean and Sam meet again where Shadows never fall. I felt the episode was solid. I'm really interested in getting to know the guy who was Satan's host better. If done right I can see him becoming a major character. They did show a clip of that lifeform in the big empthy so I can see it teaming up with Satan to once again return. Maybe Misha Collins though will get to play Satan because of it. Also like Sam's beard. Way better looking than a certain Vulcan friend of ours.:whistle: I do think we are going to have a Angel heavy season because the credit sequence had angel wings on it. I forget though where Rowena and Alt-Charlie is suppose to be.

Jason

20. auntiehill

[​IMG]
    New episode tonight--hopefully more of Michael in Deanface.