News Superman & Lois Ordered to Series at The CW

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think as they ramp up closer to the premiere date, they'll really start pushing the Superman angle; and they probably feel that just mentioning it's a Superman show will get an audience without needing a lead in from The Flash.

I think they're going with this also because Superman and Lois is not going to be like the CW's other DC superhero shows, so perhaps they don't want to have a lead in from a superhero show that's very different from what they expect Superman and Lois to be.

theenglish likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

At the end of November production of season 7 of The Flash had to be halted due to someone involved testing positive for Covid. It’s been hard to find any details since than. I would imagine they resumed or there would be huge reports on that. That might have delayed their premiere. Elizabeth Tulloch posted that all the safety measures are making it take much longer to complete episodes. That is without production stops.

If it is two hours of Superman and Lois I suspect they will just show the first two episodes. With serialized storytelling of modern tv the 2nd episode usually pickup right after the first anyways. The days of a true 2 hour pilot or movie length debut episode seem long gone.

I remember Lois & Clark had a very irregular airing of its Pilot in 1993. With commercials it was about 1 hour and 25 minutes. Followed by a half hour special of ABC’s new fall shows. Including a brief segment on L&C. To do that they cut out scenes from the Pilot. It was not until the reruns began on TNT that most of those scenes were aired when edited into 2 part episodes. I never saw the complete Pilot until the first season was released on DVD in 2005 or 2006.

3. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like it's official! Per The CW's Milwaukee affiliate via Twitter:
    YAAASSSSSS!!! :techman: :techman: :techman:

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We are talking about Superman here. The grand daddy of all Superhero characters. Anything less than 2 hours doesn't do the character service.

Jason

The Realist likes this.
  5. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Can’t wait for the show. I hope they don’t fall into the trap the other shows have by putting him in a team. He doesn’t need one

6. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's more of a quality issue over length of the episode, and of course, its quality remains to be seen.

7. The Realist

Actually not in Milwaukee, just picked it up by watching the S&L Twitter tag like a hawk. (We've got our own "one call, that's all" ad guy, though.)
    Agreed with this. We'll have to see if The CW can resist the massive gravitational pull of their go-to formula.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

One idea that was put forth early in the first season of Supergirl was that what made Kara different from Clark was that he was a loner while she was more of a team player, embracing the House of El's motto "Stronger together." So it would be consistent with past characterization if Superman continued to be a loner. Still, that was years ago, and in the interim he's been involved in several big superhero team-ups, become a founding member of the Justice League, and gotten married (something that seems to have happened much sooner in the post-Crisis reality). So it would also be in character if he's learned to be more of a team player since then.

I don't agree that superheroes don't need teams. From a narrative perspective, I think it's better to have the bulk of the supporting cast in the loop about the hero's identity and activities, since characters in the know are able to play a more meaningful role in the narrative. Remember how hampered Iris was in season 1 of The Flash by not knowing Barry's secret? Her character was much better served once she was in the loop.

We've had over 80 years of Superman stories about keeping his identity secret from his colleagues and loved ones. It would be a nice change of pace to have that de-emphasized. A champion of truth shouldn't be defined by his constant lies to the people closest to him.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If he doesn't need a team why was he a part of first the Justice Society, and then Justice League, and why does he have a whole family of other Super characters surrounding him?

10. The Realist

So people are actually arguing in favor of Superman having some techie character squawking in his ear all the time, and a gaggle of costumed also-rans taking away from his focus and screen time?

11. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

If they do feel the need to add extra heroes to the show hopefully they'll be less arbitrary than adding Mister Terrific and Ragman to Green Arrow's team. I wouldn't mind maybe Steel (John Henry Irons version) showing up. And, of course, the Newsboy Legion...

[Edit] - also Krypto!

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Superman & Lois series premiere will be 90 minutes with a 30 minute special following it

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/01/superman-lois-to-premiere-with-90.html

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  13. Christopher

They've already got a cool Krypto on Titans. But I wouldn't object.

Steel is a great idea. Henry Simmons from Agents of SHIELD would be a good choice.

14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Clearly Superman/Clark will have support if not a team modeled on the other shows. Look at the title of the series - Lois Lane.

I think the show will more about the family. The sons as hey discover their Dad’s secret. Actually it’s Lois and Clark’s shared secret at this point with them married and with kids for years.

15. Christopher

Is there any indication that they haven't known all along? I'd think Clark and Lois would want to be open with them about their Kryptonian heritage, and prepared in advance for when and if they develop superpowers. It would be a really crummy thing to lie to your own kids about their identity and culture. And I'd think the Last Son of Krypton would want to keep his ancestral heritage alive by passing it to his children.

It's a bit odd, by the way, that the series description says they haven't developed powers yet. After all, Kara had powers as soon as she arrived on Earth as a preteen, and the reason Clark and Lois went to Argo City to have a kid in the pre-Crisis universe was so that Lois wouldn't be killed by having a superpowered baby kicking her womb open. I guess it's possible that human-Kryptonian hybrids could develop powers more gradually, but that means that Lois had nothing to worry about and they didn't need to go to Argo after all. (Which makes me wonder how things went differently in the post-Crisis timeline. Did they somehow know it would be safe for Lois to conceive? Or did Argo get rediscovered much earlier?)

16. The Realist

This would be my hope. The "team" is the family.
    Per an early report (which has proven accurate so far as details have been revealed from other sources), the boys don't know about Dad:
    Source: https://www.primetimer.com/pilots/blog/the-cws-superman-lois-character-breakdown

17. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, plus maybe Steel...and Gangbuster...and Thorn...and John Diggle/Stewart says he's moving to Metropolis...

Cool, bloodthirsty...tomato, toMAHto...

Agreed.

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with this. Superman has a supporting cast that is filled with supers. Bendis wrapped up his run with the new Superman family--Kara, Jonathan, Conner, and Brainy and Krypto. Lois and Lana have both had powers recently. Steel, Guardian, even Batman are regular partners for him. It would be nice to see some of those supporting players on the show.

19. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

I'd certainly heard far worse ideas.

I also wouldn't mind bringing back Sarah Robson as Amelia Hamilton, or bringing in a Pete Ross (the closest we've had so far as Pyotr Roslov aka Red Son!Pete in Due Process (SG))

20. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Since everyone is going nuts for multiverses and nostalgia, they could always give Shaq a call...