Superman costume to appear on SMALLVILLE after all

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay... leaving my politics out of the equation... including the "American"-ness question. ;)
    Sorry, but Zorro's cape serves two very important purposes. First, it provides concealment, in the sense that he can drift into the shadows, hold it over himself, and be harder to spot. More importantly, however, the cape is useful because he's not godlike, because he's only one man. One of his strengths is the ability to dazzle crowds and psych enemies out, and the cape is a big help in this regard.

Similar argument for Batman, gastrof. The cape is used for gliding, and psyching out enemies by exaggerating the threat.

Superman pretty much never needs to hide, and everyone knows how powerful he is, to the extent that no psyching out is needed. Cape-wise, then, there's no comparison, imo. ;)

Other people have historically worn capes when not needed in any immediate practical sense - namely, kings. Thus, by wearing an unneeded cape, Supes casts himself as a king of sorts. And (and this is as far as I'll take the USA analogy), Americans have no kings.

Bottom line: would the humble, supportive Clark from Smallville independently decide to wear a cape? I somehow doubt it.

[​IMG]
    I like this design; I think it's got the right idea.

Oh, and gastrof... I never claimed to be a big Supes fan. ;)

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like this costume....personally I also like the Ultimate Superman "Smallville" costume from Wizard Magazine a few years ago too so...

3. Admiral_Young

Ooops just realized that I meant to say Coat as in trench coat not CLOAK which may or may not be. Cassiday and Allison look hot, Kelly doesn't look too bad either lol.

4. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which explains why you don't understand the cape's importance, as I suspected.

I haven't read the last few posts yet, but if that costume is what they showed at the con, I think it's excellent...

...for a start.

Certainly Superman has to eventually be in his cape and traditional costume.

This is just TR&BB's training duds. Gotta be.

5. Admiral_Young

In the case of Smallvlile...considering the alternate direction that they have gone gastroff and the prolonged annoyance of Clark's stories I would not personally mind if they did not have a cape with whatever the finished costume design is going to be. I agree with you that it's important LOOK of the character, but in terms of altering I don't reallly mind. They've gone and altered pretty much everything else about Clark.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

If it was socially acceptable, I would wear a cape.

Welling played off that so perfectly. :lol:

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    I didn't get what she said. What was so funny?

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

He would if it were part of his Kryptonian heritage, which is how Mike Grell answered that very question in his excellent Trinity miniseries. One caption: "My people wore capes."

Moreover, if you think about Superman's costume, like in Superman: The Movie and Mark Waid's Birthright, as a piece of ethnic grab than the cape makes sense. But it does make perfect sense because it looks so aesthetically pleasing when in motion as Superman flies or hovers or moves faster than a speeding bullet.

9. Admiral_Young

I just realized that is a Gary Frank piece...could even be one of his preview art work from an issue of Wizard heh. Still kind of cool though.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It was the situation, A female asking Tom Welling a question while the others took a backseat.

Apparently girls like Tom Welling, go figure

*shrugs shoulders*
    ;)

Also the trailer for season 9 taken by a cellphone camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj1aPjHYxzA

Get it while its up

[​IMG]

Looks like a Trench coat/cape

11. Admiral_Young

Yeah a lot of women like Tom Welling...I have a friend who's not a fan of the show but thinks Tom is hot lol.

12. Admiral_Young

Damn that was pretty cool...looks like Clark is wearing some kind of dark trench coat with a dark suit of some kind of with a blue S. The girl and her friend wigging out is pretty funny and a little annoying at the same time but you're at a comic con you know? I would be right there with her OMG'ing lol.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a Twilight: New Moon: preview with the girls OMG'ing every two seconds lol

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

WHY MUST THE COSTUME BE BLACK?!

Footage looked good, regardless.

15. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Maybe it'll be black in the first episode, when Clark will no doubt be moody and shit, and then they'll throw some colour in there once he gets over his crap.

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

There is no clear indication that this is even the equivalent of the Superman costume. Or even a permanent costume of any kind. I am thinking its just for a particular storyline or episode. "Clark Kent - Kryptonian Heritage phase" or "Kal-El persona" like when he briefly flew so many seasons ago. Something done as a tease in the season premiere and dropped shortly after.

That is their pattern folks! Time and again! ;)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the fake costume sketch, though. Even without the cape, I kind of like it as a "Elseworlds" kind of look. But alas.

18. Scarpad

Scarpad Lieutenant Commander

All the Angst..c'mon Clark Lighten up...

Anyhow, my only complaint with Smallville is how evil they've made the kryptonians..and I mean not just Zod, but J'rel and a few years Back even Lara had dubious intentions.

19. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, I have a Welling/Superman question...
    I've been hearing for years that he has said the "no tights/no flights " thing.

Has he been repeating that ? In interviews etc etc ?
    Or is it a single statement made a long time ago that the internet took and has blown out of proportion as is many times the case ?
    Or is it in his contract ?

Granted, I don't go around looking for Smallville interviews, but I've never seen a Welling quote on the matter.

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^There's a little bit of confusion there. It's not Welling that says "no tights, no flights". That's the producers. Other characters have flown on the show as has Kal-El (Clark with the human side of him suppressed).

It is believed that Welling is, however, very strict on what he will do for the show. He apparently refuses to wear glasses and limits the amount of time he is willing to spend wearing a suit and tie. He has pointed to negative female fan reaction when he has worn glasses as a reason not to do it. There is very little chance of seeing Welling in the actual Superman costume. The closest we'll get to that is when he wore the Green Arrow costume to help convince Lois that it wasn't Oliver.