Supergirl - Season Four

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Jul 17, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched Sunday's episode this morning, and I thought it was great.
    John Cryer was awesome as Lex, I'd put him right up there with Clancy Brown and Micheal Rosebaum. The way he spent the whole episode manipulating Lena, and the reveal that he set everything up was perfect. I had expected him to have been lying about sick as a way to get out of prison, so I was surprised when he turned out to be sick, and the whole thing was to get the cure. The big Otis and Eve reveals were a big surprise for me.
    Very curious what is going on with Manchester Black, because it seemed like he was purposefully manipulating J'Onn into killing him, or at least appearing too.
    I liked what we got with James's sister, so I'm happy to hear she'll be sticking around.
    The only thing that bothered me with this one, was Alex getting pissed at Kara for leaving the hospital. I understand why she did from her perspective, but outside of the show, this is exactly the kind of stuff that I get annoyed by when the hero is hiding their identity.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wouldn't go that far yet, but he was impressive.

3. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Or perhaps ... an ovation?

CorporalCaptain and Ovation like this.
  4. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't go by this show--they have an anti-male/anti-Superman agenda. Superman's only purpose on this show is to get his butt kicked and be submissive to Kara.

Granted, I don't know much about this anti-male/anti Superman agenda that supposedly runs thru this show, but if "Supergirl" was really all about that then why did Kara run to her big strong "older" cousin to have him rewrite reality in the Elseworlds crossover finale this winter when she couldn't do it?

And before someone suggests TPTB explained it by claiming she was "weak from the pipeline" then why could she still fight evil Superman and fly orbits around the Earth to slow time?

In fact, didn't Superman accompany Kara back to Earth 38 to fight Amazo? And didn't he accompany Barry & Oliver back to E-38 once more to find/save Supergirl? Doesn't sound very anti-male or anti Superman to me. :vulcan:

In fact, it sounds like a job... for Superman. :beer:

5. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mostly here's a summary

http://www.withanaccent.com/2018/06/08/white-feminism-is-killing-the-arrowverse/

6. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

I only just now realized how much she looks like Mila Kunis.

And Amy Jackson didn't seem to know too much about her ansestry but once said that her great grandmother was portugese.

7. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I'm reminded of a moment in the post-war German movie "The Devil's General", set during the Third Reich, when a young officer tells the main character, General Harras, that he found out that his grandmother wasn't German, and therefore his fiancee broke their engagement, and he wouldn't be able to get a great career. He adds that this kind of thing (having foreigners in one's ancestry) happened a lot in the Rhineland.

General Harras responds by first speculating on all the foreigners that might be in his ancestry (a Roman soldier, a Jewish merchant who converted to Christianity and founded the family's catholic tradition, and so on), and finally he points out that this same genepool of the Rhineland produced Goethe, Beethoven, Gutenberg, Grünewald, concluding that they were the best, and that being from such a place with such a genepool was natural nobility.

Okay, I'm not sure what point I was about to make, it's late and I should probably go to bed. But maybe I added ... something to the conservation.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show is not anti-male, its pro-Supergirl.

"Everyone" has to be dumber or weaker to make the titular hero seem smarter or/and stronger than the secondaries and guests, otherwise the hero can't hero.

This is true of almost every (fictional) story.

The hero has to win "eventually".

UM?

Star Trek s01e05. The enemy within.

Superman 3.

The Magicians I am watching right now.

The personality and powers used to create kasnian Supergirl, were subtracted from what looks like regular Supergirl, even though what looks like regular Supergirl is also a duplicate constructed from less than a hundred percent of Supergirls personalty and super powers.

Kara, this season is dumber, weaker and less emotionally complex, because Komrade Kara is siphoning/sharing power with her doppelganger.

To be whole again, Kara has to "eat" her evil self.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Turtletrekker and theenglish like this.
  9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Just because you keep repeating this, doesn't make it any less false. If you truly believe this, I would suggest that this seems to be a projection of your own worldview onto the television show. It is similar to a Rorschach Test.

YLu, Ovation and Turtletrekker like this.
  10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Guys, stop giving Kirk Prime's nonsense a platform.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That still sounds like they thought Imra was meant to be Indian in the first place, which she wasn't. She's a character dating from a time when the supposedly interspecies Legion was blindingly white, and where they eventually came up with a very offensive retcon for why there were apparently no black people in the future (they'd all gone off to live in a separatist nation on some island, and apparently all the world's races other than white and black didn't exist at all).

12. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Although the showrunners do not have the stones to do the following, it would be a good shake up of the expected for SG to face a threat (Comrade Kara) where reasoning, jail or a villain self destructing were not options, so SG had to do what she claimed she would not. Obviously, she would not take any pleasure in that, but it would add a new dimension/moral struggle to a character who is largely stuck in one zone.

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite aspect of ten set up was that he had Jimmy Olsen shot so Lena would have incentive/be forced to test the serum before he decided to take a chance using it on himself (Hey 1% is still 1% so it wasn't 'risk free' in any case, but hey he was dying ;)). If only the DCEU Lex had been as 'in character' as Cryer's version was. Creyr's acting/portrayal of Lex was very good as well. (IMO).

14. Charles Phipps

Alternatively, she appeals to the good inside...herself...and Season 5 has Melissa playing herself and "Karen Starr" as she learns to be Power Girl!

:)

Phoenix219 and Guy Gardener like this.
  15. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong.

Turtletrekker and Awesome Possum like this.
  16. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In that entire episode, Superman got his butt handed to him by anyone and everyone, including his doppleganger, where he had to be bailed out by Supergirl. His entire existence in this series has been to bend the knee and talk about how superior Kara is. There is no better line than "The world does not need a Superman when it has a Supergirl."

So while Kara was doing what the ineffective Superman was unable to do, Superman read a book. That does not negate the whole idea of Superman abandoning Earth and not shutting up about how much stronger Kara is than he.

17. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

"...Superman read a book."

That's your take on him using his mind to command the book to rewrite this entire Elseworlds reality?

Really?
    :guffaw:

Ovation likes this.
  18. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

If your masculinity is threatened by a Supergirl show, you may want to talk to a professional.

Unicron, Ovation and Turtletrekker like this.
  19. Charles Phipps

Watch literally the 75+ years of Superman media where he is the ultimate unquestioned badass.

20. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Superman isn't a badass, he's a good person with amazing powers. Supergirl may be stronger and yet his ego isn't bruised like some insecure loser, he's proud to see her grow from a child to someone capable of that. She's his cousin, but he probably sees her as something closer to a little sister. Superman just wants to keep as many people safe as possible, having his only surviving relative be able to do that better than him probably fills him with joy. His powers isn't the reason people like him, it's his humanity and he's defined by his relationship with humans. He's willing to die and has died to protect innocent people. He could be a god, but would rather be a man and a simple one at that. Deep down he's still a farmboy from Smallville and his greatest joy in life is being with his family and friends. That's why villains use them against him.