Spoilers Supergirl - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, May 12, 2016.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll just leave the thread for a week and see if it calms down.

2. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Exactly - this is probably exactly the sort of discussion that they want fans to be having.

{ Emilia } and Awesome Possum like this.
  3. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I imagine they would be happy that Supergirl is upsetting sexists so much.

1001001 likes this.
  4. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

A week?
    This is likely to go on all summer or until the season 3 thread is started

Phoenix219 likes this.
  5. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

It's certainly different than "Who's in the pod?" discussion of last year :D

6. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Well this year, the question is the same, only its "What's in the pod?" and "Where did the pod go?"

With so little to speculate on, not much conversation to be had.... . now, this other topic, they have hidden messages throughout the season...... that add up to a bigger question with far reaching ramifications. Isn't that what we do with these shows? :D

and the passive aggressive backhanded insults continue.... disagree with me, and you are an (insert "-ist" insult here!)

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If a show like this wasn't upsetting sexists, then clearly they would be doing it wrong.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Done. :D

jbny67 and Snaploud like this.
  9. Awesome Possum

Just wait until we learn the season premiere is named "Superman Pees Sitting Down".

jbny67 and Jax like this.
  10. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

At the risk of being a hypocrite and adding fuel to the gender disparity fire...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...d-half-duchovny-s-pay-for-the-x-files-revival

.... I'd like to point out that Ms Gillian Anderson, winner of both a Golden Globe and an Emmy in the 1990's and nominated multiple times since then for both awards, recent star of The Fall series 1, 2 , 3 (2013-2016) and costar on Hannibal (2013-2015) , costarring in 10 eps from a 2014 TV series, 12 different TV appearances and short film appearances from 2010 to 2016, not to mention 3 different miniseries in 2010, 2011 and 2016... That highly experienced, highly educated and obviously sought after woman was offered 50% of what MISTER Duchovny was being paid for the 2016 X-Files revival.

Like the badass she is... Gillian said "No."

As for who is in the pod... did it look like there was a right hand reaching out to encircle the baby when it was placed in the pod?

Awesome Possum likes this.
  11. Phoenix219

Who has been the bigger star and bigger draw in Hollywood? Shit, the X Files moved from Vancouver to LA to appease Duchovny's star aspirations, and he left the show earlier. Obviously he's the bigger draw. These kind of comparisons are never fair. Definitely is irrelevent because she said no, anyways. Its bad for a company to try to get a good deal? lmao.

12. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

They were both eventually paid the same for the X FIles revival... so he is obviously NOT the bigger deal.

And yes... the excuse that a company should try to "get a good deal" has long been used to underpay women... but as Jennifer Lawrence recently pointed out, they don't ask the men to take less in order to get a "better deal" for the company. I hardly think you are going to tell me J Law isn't currently a bigger draw than many of her co stars.

Awesome Possum and BillJ like this.
  13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got a question. Isn't sexism like racism something that is only possible with people who have power over people and can take their views out on people in how they treat them? Isn't this the main argument when saying reverse racism can't happen?
    I'm not so sure why this argument always tend to focus on race and gender and less on systemic problem and more importantly class warfare. I think more progress would happen if people realized that the conflict isn't between male/female or black/white but is really about rich vs poor. I think those at the top love it when poor people fight among each other and blame each other because it means nobody is looking at them.

Jason

14. Phoenix219

I'm quite sure that MANY male actors take a LOT less money then they would like to, to be able to work. If you are a big enough star, and are important enough to the project, and a big enough draw, you can demand more money. This has nothing to do with gender. It has everything to do with star power, leverage in negotiation, good business sense, and supply vs demand.

He was not the bigger deal in the X Files; they were even. This could be different in various franchises and productions that are Not The X Files. Their classic roles have nothing to do with Hollywood's demand for them in other roles, which is what negotiating salary is all about.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

All I see is someone that ignores facts if they disagree with their premise. A large pay gap has existed for a long time and will continue on indefinitely.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Some people do live in a fucking bubble seperate from facts & reality.

Awesome Possum likes this.
  17. Awesome Possum

One could argue that X-Men Apocalypse was marketed on her star power despite her clearly only being in it because of a contract.

18. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

The fact is that sexism and misogyny are big systemic structural issues in our society. With sexual objectification, rape culture, body shaming, economic inequality, casual sexism, and so many other things overwhelmingly affecting women, it's disingenuous to claim it's not a problem.
    Yes, men can be victims of most of these things, too, but it's rare and not systemic. This does not mean that feminists want to turn things around on men. We just want equality and I believe that in the end men benefit from this, too. Feminism isn't a "women's issue", it's a human issue.

And spare me the anecdotes about crazy man-hating feminists. Those do not in the slightest represent the mainstream of the movement. In fact, men should be allies in this.

John Clark, ITL and Awesome Possum like this.
  19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

jayson1 I largely agree with that but the people at the top are mostly white Men.

20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In Hollywood? Right now?

Neither of them.

Who has had the more interesting career since X-FIles, doing theater and film as well as TV with some frequency? Easy one: Anderson.

What's Duchovny done that's been noticed other than Californication?