Summer Anime 2009

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by firehawk12, Jul 10, 2009.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, my strange and awkward nearly hentai show that I watched in the summer was Juuden-chan, so I understand. :lol:

And yes, the Hisa move is like my favourite over-flourished finish ever. I kind of imagine a poker player doing the same thing in Texas Hold'em or something.

Fall has a few slice of life shows that I'm interested in checking out just because... but the there's the one with the guy who has a face like a character from The Ring or something that I'm probably most looking forward to - only because of Tora Dora probably.
    And there must be a cultural thing, but there's yet another non-sexual school girls crushing on each other show airing, making it like 3 seasons in a row that a show like that has aired.

I recently noticed another show called the Library Wars or something, so I was kind of suspicious when I noticed Armed Librarians. Oh well. :lol:

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished season 2 of Nodame. Looking forward to season three.

Though I must say, the animation of season two wasn't nearly as impressive as the first.

Yup. Slice O life makes up the vast majority of what I watch. It's weird. I'm a huge action/sci-fi fan, but I don't really care for action sci-fi anime. :wtf:

What are they? I haven't really checked out the fall listings yet. Been too busy.

3. SlaveOfSeven

SlaveOfSeven Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should do the magical girl parody for real. That'd be hilarious. :D

Yeah, I like slice of life shows as well. Will probably watch the one you mentioned: Kimi ni Todoke.

This site produces handy charts for each season. Makes sifting through what's coming a breeze.

4. firehawk12

I think Code Geass S2 ruined mecha anime for me... mostly because it was so plodding. If someone ever does another Macross series, I'd probably try to get into it but I'd much rather just watch people being people and not caricatures.

The shows that caught my eye are Kimi ni Todoke - the thing with the character who is shunned because they look like someone from The Ring, Sasameki Koto - a Yuri/Shoujo-Ai series about girls who crush on each other but just can't make it happen for a variety of reasons... basically Aoi Hana, but much lighter, Winter Sonata - which I don't know anything about, but is based on a Korean TV drama and Kuuchuu Buranko - which seems to be this season's Bakemonogatari.

Of course, Cross Game is still going, but I went ahead and read all the manga so... eh. :lol:

I also heard Nodame is coming back next year, so I'll have to see if I can catch up by then. I really like that "Noise" block of shows and it's another thing I'd like to try to go through eventually.

5. firehawk12

I really wonder if they named the sidekick character "Bitch-kun" on purpose... or if Bitch means something entirely different in Japan. :lol:

There's also the urination, but I guess that's an entirely different discussion not meant for these boards. :p

6. SlaveOfSeven

There was a bit of that in Queen's Blade as well. Must be a new fad, along with the school girl crushes. Just as long as they don't mix the two! But erm yeah, anyway...

7. firehawk12

Gotta love Japan. :lol:

8. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fall season is an interesting one for me. I plan on checking out:

11Eyes (Seems interesting from the description)
    Asura Cryin 2 (sequel to a show I watched)
    Darker Than Black: Comet of Gemini (More DTB=Awesome)
    Inuyasha: The Final Act (They're finally going to finish it.)
    Kiddy Grade 2 (Been waiting for this for a long time)
    Queens Blade 2 (I suffered through season 1 might as well finish it)
    Tatakau Shisho - The Book of Bantorra (Looks like a neat action series)
    To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (Railgun: That is All.)
    White Album 2 (Finally concludes the series from 2 seasons ago)
    Winter Sonada (Seems like an interesting romance/drama)

Not many new things interest me this season but there are a ton of sequel series I'm interested in.

I'd recomend Library War (Toshokan Sensou). It was a pretty good slice of life/romance/action show. It's kind of a silly premise but it's also an homage to the sci-fi classic, Fahrenheit 451. The one this season is the one I mentioned above which doesn't have anything to do with it called, Tatakau Shisho (Armed Librarians) - The Book of Bantorra.

Yeah, it's trash though mildly entertaining. The second series seems more interesting thus far. If you want a more entertaining fighting/fanservice anime I'd recommend the likes of Sekirei, Ikki Tousen, or Tenjho Tenge. I found those to be far more worth my time.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  9. firehawk12

Just watched Kampfer for shiggles and... yeah. Another thing I'll never understand is fluid gender identity. Good times. :lol:

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask about the Railgun series? It's a spinoff of another series, but does it just stand on its own?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  10. SlaveOfSeven

I watched the second Ikki Tousen series but found it a bit boring. I'm not really into the fighting/fanservice stuff usually. I started watching Queen's Blade on a whim, but if it hadn't been so bad I would have dropped it after a couple of episodes. It's because it's so worthless that I find it amusing. :D

The manga does, so presumably the anime will too.

As for Kampfer...

"Kampfers must be female."

Come on, that's just lazy. At least Kashimashi had a reason (of sorts) for turning him into a girl. :lol:

11. zakkrusz

Railgun is spinoff of To Aru Majutsu no Index and revolves around one of the (more interesting) side characters, Mikoto Misaka the "Railgun". It's mostly original I think, but it might cover some of the more important events from the previous series. No way to tell this early in the game.

Watch the first series if you haven't already. I found it to be pretty cool. Kind of like a darker toned shounen series akin to the likes of Shakugan no Shana.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  12. firehawk12

It's strange, because Railgun looks like a pseudo highschool life series while the others seems like a mystery/paranormal series.

13. zakkrusz

That's because the setting for both series is a school in a special town devoted to the scientific study of people with various forms of psychic powers, where part of curriculum is learning control and development of their powers. The first series follows a different character and thus different things happen to the point where you don't really see him in school much because he's got other things to deal with.

14. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

So its a spin off of index eh? When i first heard about it was like "man, the title sounds just like index. The japanese are lacking in creativity this season" lol

15. zakkrusz

Yeah, the first episode is out now. At this point it seems more about Kuroko's lesbian ambushes on Mikoto rather than any type of storyline just yet, but I suppose that'll change. It does have some action of another variety besides that too. :lol:

Also out today is White Album 2's first episode.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  16. firehawk12

Yeah, it was cute... but I really don't get who the Yuri is meant for. Not enough it's school girls crushing on each other... gotta throw in incest as well. :lol:

For whatever reason, I got a Fumoffu vibe off the first episode though, so I'll probably check out the rest of the series and then maybe work back to the first series.

17. zakkrusz

They're not actually sisters though, Kuroko just proclaims herself that because she's a totally obsessive flaming lesbian and kinda nuts to boot. They're not related at all and have different last names. Kuroko even intimidated Makoto's former roommate into leaving so she could room with her. :lol:

18. firehawk12

Ah... well... that's alright then? :lol:

19. firehawk12

I find it interesting that a lot of people seem to despise Seitokai no Ichizon for essentially being a show about references; which is odd because it's not like it's the first show to do this. I have to assume it's because the characters are fairly empty vessels or something.

20. SlaveOfSeven

I thought it was pretty amusing. Don't know if I'll feel that way after a whole season though.