"Strange New Worlds" contest now accepting submissions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by LadyT'Anna, Oct 10, 2015.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The day is not yet over.

2. MultiplePOV

MultiplePOV Ensign Newbie

Solved. The announcement is coming after the eligibility of winners is verified; next week at the earliest.

3. MultiplePOV

MultiplePOV Ensign Newbie

Driving me nuts that S&S still hasn't announced--almost as nuts as trekbbs calling me a "Newbie" despite the fact I registered for this site seven years ago.

4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

So today I got a phone call from someone with Simon & Schuster. They had my info because I sent them an inquiry email last year about the SNW contest.

The thing is, I never entered the contest.

After reading what Dean Wesley Smith had to say about the contest (http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/not-editing-new-star-trek-strange-new-worlds/), I decided it sounded kind of shady, and that it was more about steering people over to the S&S vanity presses and getting writers to buy their package. Today the guy asked me if I'd be up for revising my story to remove the Trek references so I could submit it to their vanity press. I told him no, and thanked him for his call. But my main thought was that they must be pretty desperate to get people to sign up for this thing if they're calling someone who only sent an inquiry email and never submitted a story.

Did anyone else here get a call like that?

P.S. - I decided to revise my story (which only really works as a follow-up to a Trek episode) and submit it to IDW, as I think I could make it work as a Trek comic. Wish me luck!

5. 5billionof5billion

5billionof5billion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Will it be edited by the same people as before, Dean Wesley Smith and John Ordover?
    God bless, Jason Irelan

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

If you had bothered to read the link in the post directly preceding yours you'd have found out that the answer is no.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Really annoying that they only accept US entries. :brickwall:

Bry_Sinclair likes this.