Strange Convention Moments

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RobertScorpio, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, indeed!!
    And leave the damn backpacks in your room or your car! The aisles in the dealers rooms are only three feet wide, and there's some twit with a backpack big enough for a month in the mountains standing at a table bottlenecking the whole place.

2. Forbin

Nimoy story: In about 1976 he made a public appearance at Two Guys department store in Hackensack, NJ. My (not yet) wife and several freinds worked there in the camera dept. So they grabbed the demo Polaroid SX-70, and the demo Super-8 sound camera and interviewed him while he signed autographs.

Strange thing is, Nimoy kept asking for pens, like he would pocket one each time he signed. My feind Kevin must have handed the man seven pens!

3. Forbin

Ah! I had to dig for it - here's that 30-year-old SX-70 polaroid shot of my lovely (not yet) wife meeting Spock.

[​IMG]

Greg Cox likes this.
  4. Darth_Pinche

Darth_Pinche Captain Captain

I heard Spiner does the same things with pens. What gives? Do they keep them as a way to keep track of how they sign or as a penalty for asking them?

5. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa, Nimoy's a smooth mo-fo, yo.

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

What a great picture! That certainly evokes memories of by-gone days. Your wife is very pretty.

7. Forbin

Yeah she is! :D

Man, I guess Polaroids weren't made to last! I hadn't realized that pic was all cracked until I scanned it.

8. idreamedmusic

idreamedmusic Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thank you for sharing the pic, Forbin.
    Nimoy's even wearing a Spock shirt, heh.

9. WillsBabe

You should be able to sort out the scratches in Photoshop, I imagine. :)

10. Forbin

Given time, and if I cared enough to do it ;).

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

12. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Heck, Forbin might hate this idea, but the photo would be good for a caption contest :)

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

James Doohan, back around, oh late 80s, a year or two before Star Trek VI was released. Me, Mr Doohan, and a handful of other people were standing aroudn bullshitting about everything and anything-- not really 'Trek, just life, traveling, good places to grab a meal that wasn't hotel food, that sort of thing. Mr. Doohan, had a cold/flu-- felt and looked like hell but was still very pleasant to people that came up to him.

Well some dork in a full Starfleet uniform (not unusual), had to be in his late 30s-- more likely early 40s-- with couple of the tech manuals came up and, without introduction, just started rambling away about something or another that his RPG group wanted to know. Mr. Doohan listened, nodded politely, and just said he really didn't know the answer. The "fan" goes off on a tear cussing and saying that he [Mr. Doohan] was Scotty, he was supposed to know the fucking answer! And he was never watching Star Trek again if this is the way the actors were going to treat the fans that pay their paychecks! Mr. Doohan apologizes, takes one of the guy's books and autographs it, hands it back, and in his best Scotty accent, says "Laddie, I think you need a girlfriend."

One of the con-staff came up and asked if Mr. Doohan wanted the man removed, but he said no. He then got on stage and did a brilliant talk, where, among the normal topics, he talked about politeness when meeting the actors and how it was all just a TV show and the fun was in making up your own answers to the questions.

14. WillsBabe

Nicely done, NCC 1701! :) Hope Forbin revisits the thread to see.

15. Forbin

OMG, 1701! You're a far better toucher-upper than I am! Thank you!

Mmmm.... I don't know if I wanna see what rude comments my wife gets subjected to in that.

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Thank you. [​IMG]

17. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

WORD!!!!!

Why do people bring the lifes collection for a 3 day show?

18. beardedcosplayer

beardedcosplayer Cadet Newbie

hey by any chance do you
    the image you posted isnt showing up. perhaps a hosting issue. can you repost? I ahve a specific reason for asking. I was 5 at the time. my mother tells a story of how she and I waited in line for 4 hours for Nimoy, and whenw e got up to him i started crying and screaming. Presumably I was afraid of the man with the pointed ears? //shrugs// hey i was 5 damn it. anyway, was discussing this recently, so if you have any pics from the 76 signing in hackensack I'd love to see them. (or if anyone else reading this has them, please post!)

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

First, welcome to the board.

Second, please take time to familiarize yourself with the Board rules, linked at the top of this forum.

This thread hasn't had a reply since George W. Bush was President. Let's let it Rest in Peace.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.